IS this for real? 13 hour screen on time / battery life for Nexus 7! +USB OTG Flash!

Search This thread

michalurban

Jul 11, 2010
Near Prague
I hope you didn't get that wrong, the tablet was left at home in standby for all that time (no WiFi and no other activity, as you can see from the screenshot), but the fact that it was still at 100% when i got home amazed me.
Everything is stock, i just made some tweaks in the settings menu (turned off NFC, GPS, etc)

Oh, ok. :) I knew the tablet had been left at home, but hoped in some "magic" settings :D ... cause mine usually loses almost a percent per hour. Even after wipe ...

ales007

Sep 28, 2009
Hi all, I have the nexus 7 since 17 days, the 3 first charges I let it go to 100%,and let it discharge to 5-7%, I think I have a good battery life,i lose about 2.x % per 20 minute of sd video watching. I took this screen shot now :). In 11 hours deep sleep still at 100% :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Neo3D

mrazndead

Aug 7, 2011
I'm getting awesome battery life. Avg app helped too

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358487652261.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358487652261.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 956
D

Darth

I'm realizing lately comparing battery life is pointless. An hd game vs web surfing vs watching movies vs readings book....will all have significantly different battery times. For me...I can watch 6 hours of video on my s2.....but can surf web and stuff only about 3 1/2. These times are consistent. I haven't had my n7 long....but I'm sure results will be similar ....tho longer times.

Just my 2 cents regarding battery times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Ashin

Nov 24, 2012
XzJyp1O.jpg

This is mine.

Stock, OnDemand governor set to 50,000 polling (makes it smooth), sync off, gps off, my media server tweak.

Last edited:

Ashin

Nov 24, 2012
@Ash in, can you share your setup and teaks?!

I have a various mini tweaks, nothing too special.

Use System Tuner to set OnDemand and the Polling to 50,000

Wifi - never during sleep, network notification off
Bluetooth - off
NFC and Android Beam - Both off
In data usage I have auto-sync data turned off, and have ticked my wifi networks to be "mobile hotspots"
Sound - I have Touch Sounds and Screen Lock unticked, and Default Notification set to "Silent" < this gets rid of "Media Server" on my battery stats since it is set to silent most of the time
Location - off
Keyboard - sounds off etc
Automatic time/date - off

I have disabled a load of Google apps, these include -

Calendar, Calendar Storage, Currents, Earth, Email, Exchange Services, Google Korean keyboard, Google Play Books, Google Play Magazines, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Google+, iWnnIME Keyboard, iWnnIME Keyboard (white), Mobile Data, Mobile Network Configuration, MusicFX, Tags, Talk, TalkBack

I have also gone into each of the remaining Google apps and disabled all the syncs, auto updates, things like Latitude and stuff...

Also disabled startups with Autorun Manager, things like Maps in particular.

The only things that are always running on the "Running" part is -

Settings (1 process, 0 services)
Google Services (1 process, 1 service)
Android Keyboard (1 process, 1 service)

I hope you didn't get that wrong, the tablet was left at home in standby for all that time (no WiFi and no other activity, as you can see from the screenshot), but the fact that it was still at 100% when i got home amazed me.
Everything is stock, i just made some tweaks in the settings menu (turned off NFC, GPS, etc)

What would be cool is if someone made an app so that our tablets could automatically go into airplane mode when we put it into standby and then go out of airplane mode when we wake it up!

This is mine.

Stock, OnDemand governor set to 50,000 polling (makes it smooth), sync off, gps off, my media server tweak.

Can you please share your MEDIA SERVER tweaks?

That seems to be the biggest battery drainer on all my 4.1.x Android devices :(

I know one member posted something about using silent ringtones, but I need ringtones.

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
What would be cool is if someone made an app so that our tablets could automatically go into airplane mode when we put it into standby and then go out of airplane mode when we wake it up!

you can set WiFi to turn off when hibernating and unplugged. this plus greenify to kill off user apps gives very good life.

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
It does not put the device into airplane mode, just runs off the WiFi until you unplug it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.
    I ran a battery rundown test on the Nexus 7.
    • Notifications off
    • Wifi off
    • Bluetooth off
    • GPS off
    • Airplane mode on (I know redundant but wth)
    • Screen brightness auto
    • Reset Battery Stats in Recovery
    • Nav bar turned off
    • Video zoomed to make it fill up the entire screen. (Dice player does this nicely, just pinch & zoom in 5% increments, this video was set to 150%)

I used Dice Player to play that new Batman movie over and over again. It's a h.264 encoded movie @ 720p in MKV container (which I'm loving this container, you can embed subtitles! but I don't think the container matters cuz that's a demux function, not decode function, more important prolly is to use a h.264 profile that's mobile SOC-friendly). It was playing in [HW] accelerated mode.

We got a SCREEN ON time of almost 13 hours!! This lil guy will easily last long enough for most airplane flights. I was a bit worried honestly, cuz you know, Android has a bad rep for battery life. But, I don't think that's the case anymore.

Android ver/ROM/kernel nfo in screenshots.

BTW, SCREEN ON time is different than "battery life" time, because it records the time the device spent with the screen on. Total battery life includes sleep mode, this can sleep for days, maybe a week or two or more, never really tested it.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It would be cool so see others reproduce similar results!

UPDATE: Nexus 7 Screen On Time Battery Life Rundown USB OTG Flash Storage Memory Stick Test
    thanks for defining what screen on time is. we would all be lost without you.

Geeze, don't get your panties in a bunch. Don't assume all the readers here are veteran Android users.
    Thanks for the test. I too have noticed outstanding battery life. I just flew from Hawaii to Michigan and watched movies for over 9 hours on the flight. I still had over 30% when I arrived. This device definitely lasts all day for me!

sent from my perfect 32GB Nexus 7

settings > WiFi > advanced > keep WiFi on during sleep

the default setting is "always". change this to "only when plugged in".

it effectively puts the tablet into airplane mode when sleeping and unplugged.