4.3 OTA Warning- Know before you go

Search This thread

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
As you have no doubt noticed the 4.3 OTA has been started. One thing that the Galaxy s3 community has found is that when the update is applied through official means the bootloader gets updated as well.

When the new official bootloader is installed it prevents any downgrade to 4.1 and 4.2 based roms.

I've already learned that at least one person has been able to discover through trial and disappointment that this holds true for our devices well. Please consider carefully before you apply the official OTA as, at this point , it seems there is no going back to 4.1 based roms.

Me personally I am planning to wait for a de-Knoxed flashable ROM and modem before transitioning to 4.3.

Hopefully soon there will be work arounds developed so that we may be able to use the full software release and bootloader combination safely with all available roms, until then I'd think carefully before updating your software via official means.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Last edited:

rosedog

May 1, 2010
As you have no doubt noticed the 4.3 OTA has been started. One thing that the Galaxy s3 community has found is that when the update is applied through official means the bootloader gets updated as well.

When the new official bootloader is installed it prevents any downgrade to 4.1 and 4.2 based roms.

I've already learned that at least one person has been able to discover through trial and disappointment that this holds true for our devices well. Please consider carefully before you apply the official OTA as, at this point , it seems there is no going back to 4.1 based roms.

Me personally I am planning to wait for a de-Knoxed flashable ROM and modem before transitioning to 4.3.

Hopefully soon there will be work arounds developed so that we may be able to use the full software release and bootloader combination safely with all available roms, until then I'd think carefully before updating your software via official means.

So I'll the question that hasn't been asked yet. Does this apply to Kies as well?

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
So I'll the question that hasn't been asked yet. Does this apply to Kies as well?

It should happen on ota, odin and kies. An official update method with the official update files will install the bootloader if the pattern holds true to the gs3 crowd. I would be cautious until the dev crowd got their hands on it.

Last edited:

wolfpack612

Nov 18, 2006
Hollywood
I backed up my rom with cwm and then updated through kies. after everything settled I used Odin to flash cwm. I wasn't able to successfully root and missed my setup so I restored my backup with cwm. I'm running stock deodexed md1. so far everything seems back to normal.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
I backed up my rom with cwm and then updated through kies. after everything settled I used Odin to flash cwm. I wasn't able to successfully root and missed my setup so I restored my backup with cwm. I'm running stock deodexed md1. so far everything seems back to normal.

Interesting. I hope your case is the rule vs the norm. There was a guy on the update thread who couldn't get back.

nmw407

Mar 2, 2009
I definitely couldn't go back to stock 4.1.2 after 4.3. Doing a factory reset just made it hang on the tmobile logo. Flashing 4.1.2 through ODIN made it hang as well.

wolfpack612

Nov 18, 2006
Hollywood
Interesting. I hope your case is the rule vs the norm. There was a guy on the update thread who couldn't get back.

maybe I got lucky. I probably should've took a screenshot but I wasn't aware of people not being able to go back. I went back to 4.3 with a fresh install this time.

edit: now that I was able to root, I might back up my 4.3 and see if I can restore back to 4.1.2, if I have time. Going to try and deodex now to start applying mods.

Last edited:

deeznutz1977

Jul 4, 2010
cHARMcity,MD
::):HI

HEY COUG. did you try to go back to 4.1x after flashing 4.3? cuz i odined 4.3 and just becuzi tried to odin ll4 and it didnt error out . actually ist flashing now

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

i was able to revert to 4.1.1 and 4.1.2

With the S3 a downgrade would error out in odin not the case with the note 2

EDIT..... Scrap that
qenyryge.jpg
zy5y9ege.jpg

And after reboot....
eqyqynuv.jpg

If anyone ever sees this⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆ screen remember it's still the download screen.

Last edited:

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
I haven't done any 4.3 update stuff. I am a watch and wait kind of guy if I am the least nervous. I did flash the new modem on Tweaked though.

Reactions: Double0EK

GRZLA

Sep 14, 2010
It should happen on ota, odin and kies. An official update method with the official update files will install the bootloader if the pattern holds true to the gs3 crowd. I would be cautious until the device crowd got their hands on it.

Everyone should wait for a custom version made by one of our devs if you truly care about having your bootloader unlocked. If you install Roms just avoid until our devs get their hands on it and release something.

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
I was thinking sneaky because it's not locked but still restricted in its own way

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

It's kind of subtle and heavy handed at the same time. I'm just glad I follow the GS3 forum for my wife's phone. Otherwise I'd be stuck like a lot of people here. I love Tweaked and TrevE Mod tethering.

I was able to use a method from the GS3 forum to get wifi tethering running on the wife's phone (running 4.3 TW). I might flash mattlowry's deKnoxed stock rom for a bit and try to get tethering working tomorrow. I'll see if I can either use the methods and files from the GS3 forum linked below or tinker with the zip file from that threads op and see if there is anything simple to change and get it working.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2553066

Last edited:
i must have got lucky as well

maybe I got lucky. I probably should've took a screenshot but I wasn't aware of people not being able to go back. I went back to 4.3 with a fresh install this time.

edit: now that I was able to root, I might back up my 4.3 and see if I can restore back to 4.1.2, if I have time. Going to try and deodex now to start applying mods.

I also updated my Note 2 with the OTA MK7 as soon as it was available, however I always kept a NANDROID backup of my favorite Custom Rom on my SD CARD (NoteS4_V6). As soon as the MK7 update settled in and I set it up the way I liked thats when I went ahead and Rooted it and added TWRP again, then I realized a couple of things, 1) being my incoming text was Buggy, I wouldn't receive them for a while after they were sent (NO BUENO), 2) being I wasn't able to use my Wifi tethering Hack any more, and thats the MAIN thing I need on my Note 2..!!!! So thats when I remembered I had my backup still stored on my SD CARD, I told my self that it wouldn't hurt to try, and i did. It booted back without a hitch, SUPER HAPPY AGAIN, my itch is back.. Not saying that the MK7 wasn't good, However my Custom Rom and Custom Kernel is clocking a whopping 23152 on AntuTu Benchmark. felling like Mc Donalds "Im Loving It"..!!!!! lololol. Good Luck everyone....

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Hey C, if you happen to get the Trev wifi tethering to actually work (or even any tethering Hack) on the MK7 please let me know, cause I tried serval different versions to no avail, this is why i reverted back to my previous Rom I had Backed up and was fortunate to flash back to. Thanks in ADVANCE Buddy...

It's kind of subtle and heavy handed at the same time. I'm just glad I follow the GS3 forum for my wife's phone. Otherwise I'd be stuck like a lot of people here. I love Tweaked and TrevE Mod tethering.

I was able to use a method from the GS3 forum to get wifi tethering running on the wife's phone (running 4.3 TW). I might flash mattlowry's deKnoxed stock rom for a bit and try to get tethering working tomorrow. I'll see if I can either use the methods and files from the GS3 forum linked below or tinker with the zip file from that threads op and see if there is anything simple to change and get it working.

Reactions: kintwofan

sValtman17

Apr 26, 2012
The new 4.3 radio works great!

Good advice, I am gonna wait too. However, the new UCMK7 modem rocks. Improved my reception and battery significantly. Totally solved my need to flash something new. I'll stick with 4.12 for now.

premiatul

Sep 25, 2010
Did you just flash it in recovery?
I am on stock deodexed with TWRP.
It won't brick my note, will it?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
When you guys updated via OTA can you flash 4.1 roms in recovery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

::):HI

HEY COUG. did you try to go back to 4.1x after flashing 4.3? cuz i odined 4.3 and just becuzi tried to odin ll4 and it didnt error out . actually ist flashing now

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

i was able to revert to 4.1.1 and 4.1.2

With the S3 a downgrade would error out in odin not the case with the note 2

EDIT..... Scrap that
    qenyryge.jpg
    zy5y9ege.jpg

And after reboot....
    eqyqynuv.jpg

If anyone ever sees this⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆ screen remember it's still the download screen.
    ciphercodes Thank you for putting it in a way that an old truck driver can understand.
    I have just accepted that the flag is going to be there and rooted and installed my apps as usual.
    I have CWM recovery and Chainfire's SuperSu, so life is good and the hell with warranties.
    Where'd you get the UCMK7 modem? I've searched the forums and even Google and couldn't find a place to download just the modem. Did you flash to 4.3 then flash back to 4.12 without the modem? I'd rather wait on 4.3 and be able to go to a stock based custom 4.3 rather than 4.3 stock/rooted...

I uploaded it a few days ago here... http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48318356&postcount=91
    I was thinking sneaky because it's not locked but still restricted in its own way

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app