[How-To](UPDATED 11/1/10)Working Marketplace in 2.2 Emulator (no system.img)(ROOTED)

Search This thread

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
They give you system.img files though don't they? This is using standard emulator files but yeah the procedure should work the same for any bootable avd.

sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA app

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Small update: If you are using an emulator with a system.img file you should be able to change the scripts or install method for root to place su and busybox in /system/bin instead of /system/xbin, it should stick but I'm not going to test (no time at the moment, and I'm working on a no system.img project) so if anyone wants to try this out and let me know that would be great. Also, before anyone points this out, yes I know that the emulator loads a default system.img whenever it boots but I'm referring to a different one, one you manually install/place/create. That is why I say "no system.img" file is needed. You don't need anything but the default image to get this to work.

Leandros_Ger

Sep 13, 2010
arvid-g.de
Can't copy anything to /system because adb said "no memory" why? How can i fix it?

Edit: I fix it with -partition-size 96 ;)

Last edited:

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
www.curiositytotheoven.ca
Thanks for getting the market place to work!

but i'm having a little trouble, some of the apps i try to install it gives me "Missing Shared Library" any idea how to fix that?

Thanks~

Btw
Can't copy anything to /system because adb said "no memory" why? How can i fix it?

Edit: I fix it with -partition-size 96 ;)

where do you type the partition-size 96 at? adb shell
what am i missing there? thanks~

psychoph

Nov 29, 2010
I think partition-size is cache partion size when you crate the device but I could be very wrong there.

I set mine above the 66 mb and i don't get the out of memory error i instead get

failed to copy './build.prop' to '/system/build.prop': Directory not empty

I can't find anything telling me what this means or how to change things.

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Partition-size is for starting it. Like
Code:
emulator @test partition-size 96
As for the missing libraries I'm not 100% sure, just try installing basic frameworks. What apps are you trying to install?

Ps, sorry for delays but my nets off, dont know when itll be up again. Posting at a friends house.

Last edited:

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Well I have no idea what pingchat is so I can't help with that, all I can think is maybe some rendering libraries are missing or something. Try going through system/lib on ur phone and on the emulator, see what's missing and transfer the missing files over. Let us know if that works for you.

dreamss

Dec 1, 2010
There is a known bug that not all apps show up in the marketplace. I'm not sure why so if someone here knows how to fix that by all means leave a post and let me know. If I see it I'll add it to the first post (provided it works of course :p)

any chance anyone knows a workaround? the actual market install process went without a hitch but cant find tge app i need

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
Well I have no idea what pingchat is so I can't help with that, all I can think is maybe some rendering libraries are missing or something. Try going through system/lib on ur phone and on the emulator, see what's missing and transfer the missing files over. Let us know if that works for you.
the only folder i'm missing is "d" and "sd-ext" (i think thats only for app to ext things, correct me if im wrong =x)
but i still can't move any things to the system i get "system out of memory" i tried changing the partition to 96mb still doesn't work~
Btw pingchat is a chating app, if you have time do you mind seeing if it works for you? Thanks~

any chance anyone knows a workaround? the actual market install process went without a hitch but cant find tge app i need
i notice when i remade my avd, different apps appears at different time. but if that still doesn't work try installing slideme

Last edited:

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
For the "system out of memory" make sure you use partition-size 96 and mount the system with the mount command. Otherwise your /system directory is read-only and it'll say "out of memory" even if you aren't.

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
For the "system out of memory" make sure you use partition-size 96 and mount the system with the mount command. Otherwise your /system directory is read-only and it'll say "out of memory" even if you aren't.

sorry for being so slow and confused but
i use this command "emulator @test partition-size 96" on the terminal/cmd window that opens when i open the sdk?

Thanks~

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Don't mean to sound like an ass but you might want to read up on the emulator. The "partition-size 96" is just a parameter passed to it when it starts up, "test" is the name of the avd you want to start, and it'd be easier to set up your sdk\tools directory to work from anywhere you open a cmd prompt. In a way yes you do it there but in a way no. The terminal/cmd window has to be able to find "emulator" to start the avd. Not trying to be a jerk but it's the whole "teach a man to fish" thing.

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
Well i found out a little more about the "missing share folder" i was getting

i was trying another target name, "Google APIs (Google Inc.)" instead of Android 2.2, but both of them are froyo anyways.
i did a little research and it seems like that problem only appears when the API of the emulator and the app doesn't match properly, but the thing is when you look at the AVD manger, both the google APIs and android 2.2 says API level 8....

but using the google API you can't install the marketplace with the files you gave us but rooting it still works~

anyways thats what i found out, hopefully it might help some people

dbzfanatic

Jun 21, 2010
Well at least root works :p I only really tried with the 2.2 not the Google API one so that's why I never had that problem. At least we know now this applies to a specific version. I might try to get marketplace working on the Google API version. Why don't you download an app then use adb to install it and compare the two to see which is better? I think the Google API one is more limited than the regular 2.2 image but I could be wrong.

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
Yep, that's what I've been doing. It seems that the google api has more apps that works then the 2.2, like the apps I couldn't get to eork on the 2.2 works on the google api

And also for the google api, it says it has the google service frame and vending installed already but when I try to reinstall it, I get some other error~

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This all started out as an experiment to get my nandroid system.img file running in the adb emulator. Well sadly I haven't been able to do that (yet) but I have found something useful. I've Seen several people all over asking how to get a working marketplace app in 2.2 on the adb emulator. After a lot of researching (and trial and error) I've managed to get one. Here are the steps I've taken. (Steps 5 and 6 optional, you can just use the included build.prop if you prefer)

1) Create an avd running 2.2 (froyo,plenty of places explain how to do this so I won't)
    2) Download the file (attached below, root files included)
    3) Unzip to a location that's easy to remember and find.
    4) Load your emulated phone (allow it to load fully)
    5) enter this command in a command prompt/terminal window (make sure you "cd" to the directory where you extracted the files)
    Code:
    adb pull /system/build.prop
    6) Remove or comment "ro.config.nocheckin=yes" (no quotes, might be able to just change it to "no" but I haven't tried it that way)
    7) enter these commands

Winblows (I mean windows)
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
    adb install GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    adb install Vending.apk
    adb install Gmail.apk (optional but sometimes signing in here lets the market sign in)
    adb shell rm /system/app/SdkSetup.apk
    Linux
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push ./build.prop /system/build.prop
    adb install ./GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    adb install ./Vending.apk
    adb install ./Gmail.apk
    adb shell rm /system/app/SdkSetup.apk
    8) Sign in. If it works you're done if not reboot and try again, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 reboots to set. If your emulated phone has a data signal from your computer (you'll see a 3G and network icon in the notification area) just wait for it to sign in. The cancel button should grey out within a minute. If it says it can't connect restart the emulator and try again, be patient.

There is a known bug that not all apps show up in the marketplace. I'm not sure why so if someone here knows how to fix that by all means leave a post and let me know. If I see it I'll add it to the first post (provided it works of course :p)

Edit: Working on getting root on the emulator (just for the hell of it:p). So far I have su in the xbin directory and superuser.apk installed. Not 100% sure what else I need to do to get the su requests to go through though, I'll probably PM a more experienced member and post back when I have more. Got root? I do:p (got it working.) Here are the steps you need to take.

Rooting the standard android image on the emulator
    1) Open a command prompt (cd to the directoy where you extracted the files)
    2) enter these commands
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock03 /system
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 06755 /system
    adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
    adb install superuser.apk
    That's it! You now have a rooted, market-enabled android emulator.

New! N00b-friendly method
    1) create your avd
    2) download the emulator files archive attached to this post
    3) extract somewhere easy to find
    4) open command prompt/terminal and cd to the extracted location
    5) start your avd
    6) Run your script (windows.bat or linux.sh)
    7) sign into market and enjoy root!

Note:
    You may have to chmod su again upon restarting the emulator.
    To get root back simply run the re-root script for your OS (bat for windows,sh for linux)
    To install busybox simply run the re-root script, it will automatically install if you're using the script to install on a new avd.
    Post 2

[reserved for updates, explanations, pictures, present/future tweaks in progress, etc]

Pictures:
    Superuser list,Marketplace (I like solitaire><), Terminal with su permissions, and re-rooted Terminal
    superuser.png
    marketplace.png
    terminalemulator.png
    re-rooted.png

Tweaks:
    1: root (done!)
    2: busybox (done!)
    I'll attach a version here sure and thanks for the link but I already knew all that stuff :p. It doesn't seem to like working with anything above a 1.6 system.img file, not sure why.