Desktop dock A2DP

Search This thread

cybrian

Mar 8, 2010
So, I'm probably getting my Nexus One in a couple days, and I wanted to get the Desktop Dock with it. One thing about it that I wanted to know, however, is if the phone needs to be in the dock in order to play music through it (since it uses A2DP) and if not, if it's just a standard A2DP device so I can use my iPod touch with it, too.

MintyFloss

Jan 30, 2010
your Ipod wont' work with the dock. N1 has 3 connector pins on the bottom which needs to be connected to your dock in order to play music through the dock.

cybrian

Mar 8, 2010
your Ipod wont' work with the dock. N1 has 3 connector pins on the bottom which needs to be connected to your dock in order to play music through the dock.

So, even though those are just for charging and letting the phone know that it's in the dock and the audio is done via Bluetooth it still won't work as a standard A2DP device?

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield

This is not entirely true. After the initial pairing of the N1/Dock (and selecting to use it for sounds/media) you can just select the Dock from the list of BT devices and manually pair with it. It will then route the appropriate audio through the dock, no need to actually have it sitting in the dock at all.

So, in theory it could work with your iPod touch if you can get the 2 to pair.

cybrian

Mar 8, 2010
This is not entirely true. After the initial pairing of the N1/Dock (and selecting to use it for sounds/media) you can just select the Dock from the list of BT devices and manually pair with it. It will then route the appropriate audio through the dock, no need to actually have it sitting in the dock at all.

Alright, thanks! That's what I wanted to know.

velazcod

Feb 26, 2009
Miami, FL
twitter.com

I don't know if it will work with the ipod touch, but I tried it with my iPhone (testing/development only!!) and it didn't work, it kept giving errors and such... the same happened when I tried pairing the dock with the computer, same thing.. I think HTC "crippled" the dock to only allow mac addresses from htc phones, or even nexus one only... **** ive never tried it with my G1 (i'll repost with that)

UPDATE: no luck making it work with a G1. Yeap, apparently the dock only likes to eat bacon.

Last edited:

MintyFloss

Jan 30, 2010
I don't know if it will work with the ipod touch, but I tried it with my iPhone (testing/development only!!) and it didn't work, it kept giving errors and such... the same happened when I tried pairing the dock with the computer, same thing.. I think HTC "crippled" the dock to only allow mac addresses from htc phones, or even nexus one only... **** ive never tried it with my G1 (i'll repost with that)

This ^ is what I was trying to say :3

iPods wont work with the N1 dock.

Devastatin

Feb 15, 2010

UPDATE: no luck making it work with a G1. Yeap, apparently the dock only likes to eat bacon.

I don't have the foggiest if you can do this, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing ? Spoof the mac address in a PC bluetooth adapter to see if it really is looking for the nexus one MAC address or if it is looking for a particular PIN code?

I honestly thing the third pin on the nexus one is what does the pairing between the dock and the nexus one. And you need to duplicate the functionality of this pin to get it work properly.

velazcod

Feb 26, 2009
Miami, FL
twitter.com
I don't have the foggiest if you can do this, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing ? Spoof the mac address in a PC bluetooth adapter to see if it really is looking for the nexus one MAC address or if it is looking for a particular PIN code?

I honestly thing the third pin on the nexus one is what does the pairing between the dock and the nexus one. And you need to duplicate the functionality of this pin to get it work properly.

I could try that. But, I will say that I really don't think that third pin is for that, and here's why; you can connect your nexus via bluetooth to the dock without docking. Enable bluetooth and the Desk Dock will show up in the list, connect to it and done.

And yes, you can do this with any nexus without ever docking, I tried it with mine but I had already docked it in the past. Then I tried it with another N1 that was never docked and it worked as well.

setzer715

Jan 29, 2009
North Phoenix
I could try that. But, I will say that I really don't think that third pin is for that, and here's why; you can connect your nexus via bluetooth to the dock without docking. Enable bluetooth and the Desk Dock will show up in the list, connect to it and done.

And yes, you can do this with any nexus without ever docking, I tried it with mine but I had already docked it in the past. Then I tried it with another N1 that was never docked and it worked as well.

The third pin is just so the phone knows its docked and launches the clock app (and connects bluetooth if you have it setup that way). You would be correct in the fact that you can connect your N1 without the dock, I do it all the time so I can skip tracks streaming to my stereo with out walking over to the dock.

velazcod

Feb 26, 2009
Miami, FL
twitter.com
The third pin is just so the phone knows its docked and launches the clock app (and connects bluetooth if you have it setup that way). You would be correct in the fact that you can connect your N1 without the dock, I do it all the time so I can skip tracks streaming to my stereo with out walking over to the dock.

Exactly, in more technical words, the third pin is makes the system send a DOCK_EVENT broadcadt with the DESK_DOCK extra and the phone acts accordingly.

I developed an app that simulates this, its on the market, "Dock Simulator".

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
Could it be that the password is not just 0000? Anyone check the bluetooth files on the N1 for other passwords?

cybrian

Mar 8, 2010
Could it be that the password is not just 0000? Anyone check the bluetooth files on the N1 for other passwords?

I don't think that it's the password, and I very highly doubt it's the MAC address. My computer pairs just fine with it if I don't use a password. The problem is that it has trouble activating the A2DP profile of the dock.

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
I haven't tried but I am thinking that there is a mismatch in passwords. Either way the Nexus One has a profile set up for the dock in /system/etc/AudioBTID.csv and I am sure there is info in AudioPara4.csv

I am sure this will help spread some light on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    works with my galaxy s 4 / hacks

I'm not entirely sure what the magic recipe is, but my N1 dock is working for A2DP at the moment, playing music from my stock Galaxy S 4.

I poked around a bit; with sshdroid running on my (rooted/CM) N1, here are the approximate-ish steps I took. These steps may not be an exact reproduction of what I did, and contain no timing information.

- N1: in docking station (paired, connected)
    - N1: cd /sys/devices/virtual/switch/dock
    - N1: cat bt_addr -> valid dock BT addr -> looks good
    - N1: cat bt_pin -> cat: read error: I/O error
    - N1: echo 0000 > bt_pin
    - N1: disable bluetooth (still in dock)
    - S4: enable bluetooth & scan
    - S4: magic! the N1 dock showed up; I paired with it, connected to it...

unplugged it, moved it to my room with a stereo, and I was able to connect to it from my S4 with no problem.

I'm not actually convinced that writing to the pin did anything. It may have just been the act of scanning for it while the N1 was docked... or a lucky guess. I tend to have good luck with embedded devices. ;) Either way, I'm not going to mess with it further at this point.

-g