[TUT]Get whirleyes BMM 0.3.2 working on our a2 [OUTDATED]

Search This thread

dumgum89

Aug 13, 2012
Florida
Re: [TUT]Get whirleyes BMM 0.3.2 working on our a2

How can I get stock ICS onto system 2? I accidentally flashed cm10.1 over it on system 1...

Sent from my MB865 using xda app-developers app

Lifehacker7

Nov 19, 2012
Bangalore, karnataka

You need to fxz back to stock ICS, cause you cannot install BMM on cm10.1 it will bootloop. So fxz back to stock ICS and install BMM from playstore. Flash CM10.1 on system 3 - 6.

It is possible to install BMM successfully on cm10.1. You have to flash the patch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LIFE!
IT'S WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT!

minhajlk

Apr 14, 2011
Colombo
Motorola Atrix 2
Google Nexus 5
It is possible to install BMM successfully on cm10.1. You have to flash the patch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LIFE!
IT'S WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT!

No. You cannot install any recovery on cm10.1. Best way to flash cm10.1, if you are on ICS. Flash Stock ICS or scv7 as your 1st system and then install BMM via playstore. Boot to BMM setup up your 3rd system and flash cm10.1 and apply the patch. (I am not sure if the patch is really necessary with BMM 0.3.4). This way you can have stock ICS or Scv7 as your 1st system and cm10.1 as your 3rd system. :)

Lifehacker7

Nov 19, 2012
Bangalore, karnataka

No. You cannot install any recovery on cm10.1. Best way to flash cm10.1, if you are on ICS. Flash Stock ICS or scv7 as your 1st system and then install BMM via playstore. Boot to BMM setup up your 3rd system and flash cm10.1 and apply the patch. (I am not sure if the patch is really necessary with BMM 0.3.4). This way you can have stock ICS or Scv7 as your 1st system and cm10.1 as your 3rd system. :)

I have done this -_- installed BMM on cm10.1.only To flash PA along with cm10.1 , I'm gonna need ics @ 1st system I believe.

Ravikirancg

May 3, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 2
Xiaomi Mi 11i

You can install other recoveries on cm10.1 as long as they support custom 2nd init. And you must move the 2nd init to rootfs folder without fail.. if you forget, you will have a bootloop..

Sent from my ME865 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: minhajlk

jattkhalsa

Sep 3, 2007
Chandigarh
Sort of a newbie question. I have an AT&T Atrix2 with stock ICS, rooted and bootstrap installed. I have never tried any custom roms so far.

Is the point of this to allow me to keep the stock ICS as-is and install other Roms in an isolated partition? and I can choose what to boot into?

what are the risks?

Yes you are 100% right. Risks are bootloops if installed incorrectly and possibly bricking your phone. If you do read all the threads and flash correctly you can boot several different ROMS of your choice. I am personally running CM10 and MIUI. All running without any problems.

Lifehacker7

Nov 19, 2012
Bangalore, karnataka

^
Don't scare the new guy away :p you will only soft brick if you do anything wrong and you can just do an fxz back to ICS. ;) (make sure it's the right file , or else for sure brick probably hard !)
Happy multi booting!
And Don't install any ROMs on 2nd system except the converted miui. Use 3-6.

Last edited:

oscar_pan

Jan 3, 2013
Angeles

Love this, will have a try, thanks brother.

Sent from my ME865 using xda app-developers app

Loving multi booting as well. Running smooth and nice. Just remember to factory reset, wipe and to use correct patches with correct rom versions. The patches get flashed after gapps. So flash 1. Rom, 2. Gapps package, 3. Bmm patch if needed.

Bmm
1. Stock 4.0.4
2. Miui
3. PA 310 4.2.2
4. CMPA 4.1.2

Last edited:

RAD7

May 19, 2012
CID Backup procedure?

WHOA!! So I just escaped a possible brick! :D

I was on the official JB leak and was experimenting with kexec(with the files meant for ICS).. and that used to mess up my CID.. luckily, I had bmm installed and had a backup of my CID(not through bmm)..
well, bmm automagically found out that my CID was messed, and bypassed it.. later I flashed my CID and luckily, everything was fine..

Hi Ravi - I intend to emabark on using BMM first time ever, Pls see my sig for details, so have I already erased my CID inadvertently? If not then is this the procedure (from Droid Razr) to be followed to backup my CID (I currently have a nandroid backup made using A2 Bootstrap tool-FYI) :

Procedure

1.Backup your cid using terminal emulator.
code: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p18 of=/sdcard/cid.img (remember this code is case sensitive, copy the code correctly with proper and exact spaces in the lines)
Q. Why to do that?
A. You cannot flash kernel from different region because is protected by MOTO.
When you erase CID partition you can flash US kernel to EU device
every single one device has unique CID number so you have to backup CID partition before you erase it. If you not backup you're not able to restore your unique CID number and you can only boot your device via Power ON + Vol+ Vol- then BP Tools.
This is temporary solution, when Moto release European 4.1.2 most of us restore CID from Backup then we will flash EU kernel and EU system.

Ravikirancg

May 3, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 2
Xiaomi Mi 11i

Hi Ravi - I intend to emabark on using BMM first time ever, Pls see my sig for details, so have I already erased my CID inadvertently? If not then is this the procedure (from Droid Razr) to be followed to backup my CID (I currently have a nandroid backup made using A2 Bootstrap tool-FYI) :

Procedure

1.Backup your cid using terminal emulator.
code: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p18 of=/sdcard/cid.img (remember this code is case sensitive, copy the code correctly with proper and exact spaces in the lines)
Q. Why to do that?
A. You cannot flash kernel from different region because is protected by MOTO.
When you erase CID partition you can flash US kernel to EU device
every single one device has unique CID number so you have to backup CID partition before you erase it. If you not backup you're not able to restore your unique CID number and you can only boot your device via Power ON + Vol+ Vol- then BP Tools.
This is temporary solution, when Moto release European 4.1.2 most of us restore CID from Backup then we will flash EU kernel and EU system.

1) which atrix 2 do you have? At&t or international?

2) have you already made the backup? I mean before wiping it..

If yes, lucky for you and good.. Just put the img in sdcard, goto recovery-> firmware flashing-> restore cid. Select the file..

If not, sorry, you will have to live with the customer id error.. Just keep bmm installed and it will properly boot up your phone. Of course, if your phone is still in warranty... Pm me..

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

RAD7

May 19, 2012
1) which atrix 2 do you have? At&t or international?

2) have you already made the backup? I mean before wiping it..

If yes, lucky for you and good.. Just put the img in sdcard, goto recovery-> firmware flashing-> restore cid. Select the file..

If not, sorry, you will have to live with the customer id error.. Just keep bmm installed and it will properly boot up your phone. Of course, if your phone is still in warranty... Pm me..

Hey Ravi,

1) As had mentioned my signature consists extensive details of my phone it is a India purchased MB865 originally now a ME865 after flashing JB 4.1.2 leak 1
2) I have not wiped anything, my query was due to JB flashing does the CID get erased or rewritten by itself?
3) My primary query was based on reply to point 2 was, is the method I posted to backup CID correct for Atrix2? or is there any other easier way?

Thanks for your response.

Ravikirancg

May 3, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 2
Xiaomi Mi 11i

Hey Ravi,

1) As had mentioned my signature consists extensive details of my phone it is a India purchased MB865 originally now a ME865 after flashing JB 4.1.2 leak 1
2) I have not wiped anything, my query was due to JB flashing does the CID get erased or rewritten by itself?
3) My primary query was based on reply to point 2 was, is the method I posted to backup CID correct for Atrix2? or is there any other easier way?

Thanks for your response.

1) I am on phone and check these on phone. So I can't read what you have in your signature.

2)international MB and ME more or less have no difference.. they are inter convertibles..

3)no. Cid does not get wiped when you flash 4.1.2

4) there is an easier way to backup cid. Install bmm, go to recovery-> firmware flashing-> backup cid. This has to be done when cid is not erased. If its already wiped, and you don't have a backup, nothing can be done..

Reactions: RAD7

RAD7

May 19, 2012
1) I am on phone and check these on phone. So I can't read what you have in your signature.

2)international MB and ME more or less have no difference.. they are inter convertibles..

3)no. Cid does not get wiped when you flash 4.1.2

4) there is an easier way to backup cid. Install bmm, go to recovery-> firmware flashing-> backup cid. This has to be done when cid is not erased. If its already wiped, and you don't have a backup, nothing can be done..

No issues & wasn't aware you were checking on phone (later saw tapatalk) and hence just clarified. All noted, Thanks!

mv2inas

Sep 7, 2010
Running CM10.1 with kexec in combination with BMM

Currently i'am running cm10 with kexec as 3th system of BMM. This can be done moving the files from "bootloader/2nd-boot" tot etc/kexec and renaming the file zimage to kernel.

Sent from my MB865 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS TO INFORM YOU THAT NONE OF THE STEPS ARE REQUIRED FOR 0.3.4. I AM JUST KEEPING THIS FOR INFORMATION AND THE WARNINGS AND OTHER POSSIBLE ISSUES YOU MIGHT FACE. AND AS A GENERAL DISCUSSION FOR BMM.

Hey everyone, whirleyes updated and released his amazing recovery.. It allows you to multiboot and has ton of more amazing tools..
    Go here for original thread he posted in the razr forum.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2005187
    well, its tested and made only for razr, but theres a simple way to get it working on our Atrix 2.. here is how you can do it..

Before You Get Started, Here is an
    IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL BMM IF YOU USED A2 BOOTSTRAPPER BEFORE. THAT WILL MESS THINGS UP WITH YOUR LOGWRAPPER.BIN. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL BOOT LOOP AFTER REBOOT. NOW IF FOR SOME REASON YOU DID NOT READ THIS, AND GET A MESSAGE ABOUT BMM ASKING YOU TO GET HELP, BEST THING FOR YOU TO DO IS RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY FULLY AND FXZ BACK. OR THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL HAVE TO USE MCGRUVYER METHOD OR ANOTHER A2 BATTERY. USER RAD7 RECENTLY HAD QUITE A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH HIS BATTERY DYING AFTER BMM MESSED WITH LOGWRAPPER. YOU HAVE BEEN INFORMED AND WARNED.

1) Download and install BMM from google play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.projectlense.bootmenu.manager

2) Our phone does not have a partition for internal storage.. so we use the data partition for it.. To do so, just open a root browser like root explorer and navigate to /etc/bmm/conf

3) Open "recovery.fstab" with a text editor

4) The last line will be something like this
    /int vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p25

5) just change 'vfat' to 'auto' and 'mmcblk1p25' to 'userdata' (its the same though..)
    so that it looks like this
    /int auto /dev/block/userdata
    and of course save it and close it..

6) Done.. you are good to go.. Happy Multi Booting..

Just some tips
    On your first reboot, tap the android, go to settings-->System_2-->Partition setup and tap on ACTIVATE. This formats cdrom partition to ext2.
    Now go back 2 two steps, and select any other system(3-6). choose Partition setup, tap on system.img, tap on Create, select the size, create it. go back and do the same with data.img and cache.img.
    Once thats done, go back and select recovery, select switch system. choose your system that you created the images for, the colour will change, install any custom rom.. Enjoy!!

NOTE: BMM stores the images in internal memory(/int/clockworkmod/virtual/system_(num)). Since we dont have emmc partition and are using the data partition for /int, doing a factory reset will wipe it out and you will lose all your other roms.. So be carefull..

NOTE 2: USE ONLY SYSTEMS 3 TO 6 FOR CUSTOM ROMS.. SUSTEM 2 IS CDROM PARTITION.. YOU ACTIVATE IT ONCE AND DONE.. DONT TOUCH IT AGAIN.. ITS ONLY 12MB..

IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL BMM IF YOU USED A2 BOOTSTRAPPER BEFORE. THAT WILL MESS THINGS UP WITH YOUR LOGWRAPPER.BIN. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL BOOT LOOP AFTER REBOOT. NOW IF FOR SOME REASON YOU DID NOT READ THIS, AND GET A MESSAGE ABOUT BMM ASKING YOU TO GET HELP, BEST THING FOR YOU TO DO IS RECHARGE YOUR BATTERY FULLY AND FXZ BACK. OR THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL HAVE TO USE MCGRUVYER METHOD OR ANOTHER A2 BATTERY. USER RAD7 RECENTLY HAD QUITE A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH HIS BATTERY DYING AFTER BMM MESSED WITH LOGWRAPPER. YOU HAVE BEEN INFORMED.
    4) The last line will be something like this
    /int vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p25

I'll try to automate this by determining devices type. (ro.product.board)
    But still hard for me to give edison full support because some part is still hardcoded for spyder.

Just don't use firmware flashing function.
    Flashing boot.img theoretically should be OK. Don't play with CID ~

I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong, I have no idea how it will behave on edison.

I just wanted to know that how did u convert the wangs zip to work with bmm as i really want flash latest update and will b flashing his future updates too
    Thanks in advance

Use a zip opener like 7zip. Extract /system/bootmenu/2nd-boot. Rename it to kexec. Go into the folder and rename zImage to kernel. Using 7zip, open the rom zip and goto /system/etc. Now drag and drop it into the zip.

Cyanogenmod CM10.1 for BMM

I have changed the version of Wang (28-03) so it will run in combination with BMM.

myself have it run as third system... without any problem ( no black screens).

The changed file can be downloaded with the following link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/1944378271/CyanogenMod-edison-20130328-2311-bmm.zip

The patch doesnt have tot be installed. Work out of the box!

Enjoy CM10.1 on your Atrix 2 (thanks to wang)

btw, i have a ATT version of the Atrix 2
    WHOA!! So I just escaped a possible brick! :D

I was on the official JB leak and was experimenting with kexec(with the files meant for ICS).. and that used to mess up my CID.. luckily, I had bmm installed and had a backup of my CID(not through bmm)..
    well, bmm automagically found out that my CID was messed, and bypassed it.. later I flashed my CID and luckily, everything was fine..

So, in short,

1) Bypassing CID works.. :good:
    2) Flashing CID works.. :good:

maybe you already know this, but just wanted to say, using kexec on official JB update might mess up CID.. I guess this is moto's work..
    so you guys with razrs be careful..
    glad to see you around..

There are a lot of issues with kexec and this phone, and why we never did any "real" work with it, once it was fully developed. There are other issues with kexec and this phone, but it really is not something I would put anymore time into, with this phone. Motorola has really done some very nasty things to this phone and continuing the evil with Atrix HD and making that phone even more locked down than this one.

There is really no reason to have a kexec kernel other than to say you made one. We have a form of OC and we have custom opensource roms, so kexec and kernels really are not needed on this phone.

P.S. kexec on this phone can be very dangerous as you will load the "stock" moto kernel during the bootloader check, then once booted kexec will unload that "stock" kernel and load the new one, but I warn you that if the ROM is not built to handle the kernel disastrous consequences can and will occur.