[Q] Questions regarding root and unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

sayatsugu

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,

I just wish to ask if there is any undesirable side effects from unlocking the bootloader ?
I came from the Sony Xperia side and there are unfortunate side effects such as loss of DRM keys and stuff.

The sticky thread for information under the development section for knowhow is filled with broken links and the disclaimer at htcdev isn't very heartening. I just need some assurance before I go on to unlocking and rooting the device.

Thank you.

buggerman

Apr 17, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Google Pixel 7
Hi,

I just wish to ask if there is any undesirable side effects from unlocking the bootloader ?
I came from the Sony Xperia side and there are unfortunate side effects such as loss of DRM keys and stuff.

The sticky thread for information under the development section for knowhow is filled with broken links and the disclaimer at htcdev isn't very heartening. I just need some assurance before I go on to unlocking and rooting the device.

Thank you.
There aren't any seriously undesirable side effects that I know of. Just that rooting is almost pointless unless you can get your device to turn S-OFF (by default the device is in S-ON, which means that /system partition may not be written). Until you get S-OFF, most post-root tweaks like the ones that use Xposed Framework, etc., will not work properly.

As of now, the only way to get S-OFF on the HTC One E8 is Sunshine. My advice would be to try Sunshine out and see if your device is even compatible with it. Until that is confirmed, there is really no point in unlocking your bootloader or root the devoce. The Sunshine test is (according to jcase) harmless and only runs a series of tests until you actually pay for it. Also, it is $25.00, which is steep but probably worth it if you need the functionality.

Be advised that if you do choose to run Sunshine on your device, it would be at your own risk. I did try running it and found that my device isn't compatible with the exploit that Sunshine uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: sayatsugu

sayatsugu

Jun 7, 2010
That's unfortunate, I was looking to use Titanium Backup to move my stuff over. I will have to explore other options then.

Thank you for your informative reply :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Thank you.
    There aren't any seriously undesirable side effects that I know of. Just that rooting is almost pointless unless you can get your device to turn S-OFF (by default the device is in S-ON, which means that /system partition may not be written). Until you get S-OFF, most post-root tweaks like the ones that use Xposed Framework, etc., will not work properly.

As of now, the only way to get S-OFF on the HTC One E8 is Sunshine. My advice would be to try Sunshine out and see if your device is even compatible with it. Until that is confirmed, there is really no point in unlocking your bootloader or root the devoce. The Sunshine test is (according to jcase) harmless and only runs a series of tests until you actually pay for it. Also, it is $25.00, which is steep but probably worth it if you need the functionality.

Be advised that if you do choose to run Sunshine on your device, it would be at your own risk. I did try running it and found that my device isn't compatible with the exploit that Sunshine uses.