Error: Cannot open recovery

Search This thread
Apr 1, 2014
Ok, here's some background on my device:
I s-off'ed using firewater method, it worked fine
I flashed CWM through Fastboot, and then flashed a supersu zip through CWM.
After this, I made a nandroid and flashed to a GPE rom to try it out, decided i wanted to give sense 6 a longer chance, so I restored my Nandroid.
Then the OTA update came along, and annoyed me to install it for awhile. So I decided to try to, so I flashed the stock recovery from this thread. It did not flash.. After changing the usb cable and usb port, and a few days.. it worked.. maybe
When I boot into recovery, i get the little picture of the phone with the red triangle and exclamation point (that I think is stock recovery)
but when I try to install the OTA, it looks like it's working, except about a third of the way through (according to the green bar on the bottom) it goes straight to the red triangle and exclamation point. After about 5 minutes (not sure exactly) it reboots and nothing is changed. A bit later, it'll bug me again to update.

Now, I tried to flash both CWM and TWRP, and both result in "Error: Cannot open recovery '[recoveryname.img]'"
I have tried it with both CWM and TWRP, on two different machines, both running OSX Mavericks... Same results for all of them.

Earlier today, I factory reset, yet it still doesn't work. Anybody have any advice? :eek:

Apr 1, 2014
Alright, well I have no idea why this worked, but I tried flashing TWRP through the ROM manager app, and that worked. I feel rather stupid for not trying this earlier.. :eek:

anyway, I'm good now :)

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Alright, well I have no idea why this worked, but I tried flashing TWRP through the ROM manager app, and that worked. I feel rather stupid for not trying this earlier.. :eek:

anyway, I'm good now :)

Glad all is well.
I would get in the habit with S-OFF to never take an OTA..even when confirmed ok for rooters.
eventually someone WILL pull the OTA, and the firmware will be flashable for those on S-OFF like this most recent OTA.
Simply fastboot the said OTA firmware and save yourself a bunch of hassel. :)
Happy flashing