FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Finally found THE case for the G

1,210 posts
Thanks Meter: 435

By wolfen69, Senior Member on 18th January 2014, 07:25 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since Ballistic has no plans on making a case for the G, after perusing the net I found this: http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-prod...la-moto-g.aspx

It's a 2 piece Ballistic-like case for those that want ultimate drop protection. It says $34.95 on the website, but I found it on ebay for $26.95 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Motorola...item51b7f5ab8b but only for US buyers. Shipping to other countries will be a little bit more.

They say it's been drop tested 26 times from 4ft. onto concrete. My kind of case! And even has covers for the ports to keep dust and dirt out. I'm definitely buying one since Ballistic doesn't think it's worth making a case for one of the hottest selling phones.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolfen69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wolfen69 Ad-Free

18th January 2014, 12:27 PM |#2  
Lewiston, ID
Thanks Meter: 343

More
Yeah they have good cases. We bought both but personally like the look and feel of the otter box on the moto g. Other phones I have liked Trident better so I guess it's just personal preference and both cases are awesome

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
18th January 2014, 06:19 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, GA USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister99403

Yeah they have good cases. We bought both but personally like the look and feel of the otter box on the moto g. Other phones I have liked Trident better so I guess it's just personal preference and both cases are awesome

I just don't like that the otterbox comes with a built in screen protector.
18th January 2014, 08:36 PM |#4  
Lewiston, ID
Thanks Meter: 343

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen69

I just don't like that the otterbox comes with a built in screen protector.

They have one that does and one that doesn't. I don't care for built in a screen protectors either so we got the one that didn't

18th January 2014, 10:50 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hmm, I may have to try out this case, too--I'm noticing some quirks with my OtterBox Commuter that may be solved with the Aegis' design. Based on the screen protectors provided with other Aegis models, it may also be a better cut than the cheap/lazy job OtterBox did.

To add to what twister99403 said, the Commuter is like the Aegis and the screen protector is optional; the Defender seems closer to Trident's Kraken A.M.S. series with its built-in screen protector.
20th January 2014, 05:39 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, GA USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku53ru

Hmm, I may have to try out this case, too--I'm noticing some quirks with my OtterBox Commuter that may be solved with the Aegis' design. Based on the screen protectors provided with other Aegis models, it may also be a better cut than the cheap/lazy job OtterBox did.

To add to what twister99403 said, the Commuter is like the Aegis and the screen protector is optional; the Defender seems closer to Trident's Kraken A.M.S. series with its built-in screen protector.

Yeah, people have said that the built in screen protector takes away from touch response in some cases. I'll stick with the self-applicable screen protectors, as I've never had a problem with them.

I really, really, really liked my Ballistic SG case I had for my Samsung Infuse. I could literally throw it up in the air 15ft. and land on concrete without even worrying about it. I used to do that just to show people how great the case was.

Oh well, but thankfully it looks like the Trident case will be a decent replacement for the ballistic. I value protection over style any day, but it doesn't hurt that I like the way the case looks too. It seems most of the people who care about style first are probably under 25yrs. old, and possibly still live with mommy and daddy. My phone is a tool first and foremost, and I need to protect it, since I don't believe in buying a new phone every time I drop it.
20th January 2014, 08:51 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen69

Yeah, people have said that the built in screen protector takes away from touch response in some cases. I'll stick with the self-applicable screen protectors, as I've never had a problem with them.

I really, really, really liked my Ballistic SG case I had for my Samsung Infuse. I could literally throw it up in the air 15ft. and land on concrete without even worrying about it. I used to do that just to show people how great the case was.

Oh well, but thankfully it looks like the Trident case will be a decent replacement for the ballistic. I value protection over style any day, but it doesn't hurt that I like the way the case looks too. It seems most of the people who care about style first are probably under 25yrs. old, and possibly still live with mommy and daddy. My phone is a tool first and foremost, and I need to protect it, since I don't believe in buying a new phone every time I drop it.

I've heard of similar problems with built-in screen protectors, and that is why I don't own the OtterBox Defender.

While the Commuter doesn't have a built-in screen protector, the self-applicable one they include with the case doesn't cover the entire screen; it leaves the 1cm above the display exposed. They didn't bother to cut out even a hole or a section of the protector for the speaker/sensors/etc.--they just lopped that whole side off. I hope that Trident didn't make the same mistake with theirs.

The outer shell of the Aegis case also seems better at minimizing the dust that will seep under the silicone layer, which is something the Commuter doesn't do very well. The lanyard loop is also a nice touch; I'll be able to reattach my retractable key holder to protect it from even more falls.

While I can't say if the Aegis can stand its ground against a Ballistic SG case, it should offer enough protection. Pickings seem to be slim for heavy-duty cases that don't have built-in protectors (for now, at least). I'm more function over form too, especially since the Moto G doesn't fit in my pocket.
20th January 2014, 10:19 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, GA USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eku53ru

I've heard of similar problems with built-in screen protectors, and that is why I don't own the OtterBox Defender.

While the Commuter doesn't have a built-in screen protector, the self-applicable one they include with the case doesn't cover the entire screen; it leaves the 1cm above the display exposed. They didn't bother to cut out even a hole or a section of the protector for the speaker/sensors/etc.--they just lopped that whole side off. I hope that Trident didn't make the same mistake with theirs.

The outer shell of the Aegis case also seems better at minimizing the dust that will seep under the silicone layer, which is something the Commuter doesn't do very well. The lanyard loop is also a nice touch; I'll be able to reattach my retractable key holder to protect it from even more falls.

While I can't say if the Aegis can stand its ground against a Ballistic SG case, it should offer enough protection. Pickings seem to be slim for heavy-duty cases that don't have built-in protectors (for now, at least). I'm more function over form too, especially since the Moto G doesn't fit in my pocket.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolfen69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wolfen69 Ad-Free
21st January 2014, 02:14 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 173

More
Man that looks really damn good.

I want that more than my Defender.

Defender now for sale if you want it PM me.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!
24th January 2014, 08:27 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Woodstock, GA USA

More
Pics of the Trident case I just received! I love it. True protection from drops, and looks nice. The corners are slightly bulbous for extra protection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfen69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wolfen69 Ad-Free
25th January 2014, 04:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Looks fantastic wolfen69, ordered the Blue Trident Hard Case Shell yesterday off ebay from the US before seeing your photo's, they have just confirmed that I have made the right choice, looks great and offers excellent protection from falls.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)