TPU/Epik/Crystal Gel Case

Search This thread

Troggie81

Oct 26, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm sure some of you are aware of these cases available for other phones (I had these for my Blackberrys and loved them!). Well, I see that they're starting to pop up on eBay! I wasn't sure if these would be made for a slider phone (especially our Z-hinge) but I guess they figured it out.

I already ordered a clear one from someone in California. It was only around $6. There are less expensive ones, but they are all shipped from China and can take a LONG time. I'll be sure to post some pics and impressions when it comes in.

Another bonus is that they usually come with a pretty good screen protector.

Here's a link to an eBay search:
G2 Crystal Gel, Epik, TPU Case

Anartic

Jul 18, 2009
I'm sure some of you are aware of these cases available for other phones (I had these for my Blackberrys and loved them!). Well, I see that they're starting to pop up on eBay! I wasn't sure if these would be made for a slider phone (especially our Z-hinge) but I guess they figured it out.

I already ordered a clear one from someone in California. It was only around $6. There are less expensive ones, but they are all shipped from China and can take a LONG time. I'll be sure to post some pics and impressions when it comes in.

Another bonus is that they usually come with a pretty good screen protector.

Here's a link to an eBay search:
G2 Crystal Gel, Epik, TPU Case

I have an Epik case for my MyTouch 3G and I loved it. Would've loved it a lot more if the clear case didn't become yellow after a while :/ give us a review of the clear case after you get it.

Troggie81

Oct 26, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
The clear one I had for my BB Bold started to yellow/brown a little too. I probably should have ordered a smoke colored one, but I just hate to cover the G2 design. Maybe the formula has changed since then and it won't yellow. If not, it's not like they're that expensive, so I'll just get a smoke.

Troggie81

Oct 26, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Here it is!

I received my TPU case today and I can honestly say that this is my favorite case so far. The entire inside edge of the case has a slight edge that keeps it on the phone. This means that the phone is always open just a bit, but also that the 2 halves are flush all the way around except for the middle top and bottom.

With the keyboard out, the two halves of the phone actually rest on the case instead of the little rubber pads built in. It's actually quite nice since it's the same on the front and back, and it's a long stable surface. Feels like there's less wiggle both open and closed.

The volume, camera, and power buttons are covered, but the case is raised in those areas so you can still feel where they are. The volume and camera buttons are still easy to press, but the power button takes a lot of force to push. This is probably due to the stiffness of the case and small size of the button. I might try gluing a tiny plastic shim on the inside of the case there to make it easier to press. In the mean time, I just added a shortcut to lock it on my home screen.

I don't like the shape of the cutout for the touch screen. I would prefer the top of the opening to not cover around the speaker, even though there are cutouts for that and the light/proximity sensors. I'd also like the bottom of the screen cutout to follow the curvature of the screen instead of being so squared off.

I wasn't so sure about the argyle pattern on the back, but I kinda like it now. It's rather subtle at certain angles. The clear looks good except for a couple spots on the front where it looks a little dull or matte from the inside. I may end up ordering a smoke colored one later on if this one starts to discolor (like paste cases of this material have before).

Overall, I highly recommend these cases!

eparC.jpg

ATWnh.jpg

XGDnz.jpg

nRXay.jpg

sMEYf.jpg

FQ3n5.jpg

GX19O.jpg

NG06C.jpg

QR9aN.jpg

SM1Xy.jpg

Reactions: Anartic

Anartic

Jul 18, 2009
Very nice pictures, are the cutouts on the case in the best position? This was also a small problem I had on my MT3G case at the camera where it was offset a bit.

Troggie81

Oct 26, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
The cutouts are perfect as far as I can tell. Front and back speakers, light/proximity sensors, camera/flash are all exact. The headphone and usb cutouts are a bit larger to accommodate accessories. Also, the mic cutout comes around to the front a little, I'm guessing to lessen interference.
Volume, camera, and power are raised on the outside and hollowed out a little on the inside. The power button's hollow is just a little too deep, recquiring more pressure to push the button.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Reactions: sino8r

eep02b

Apr 15, 2006
Dallas, Tx
I had this case in blue and hated it. The power button needs an extreme amount of pressure to work. You almost need two hands just to turn the device off and on. I'm sending mine back for a refund.

OMV

Feb 4, 2007
I have this case in smoke on my desire z right now and I am a bit torn between it and my previous clear plastic case.

Coverage is great (much better than the amazon plastic cases) and the cutouts fit perfectly. The tpu material feels good. The problems are:

- It is thicker than the cheap plastic cases. This is not a major issue, but I wish it was thinner.
- It intrudes into the keyboard area and makes the top row harder to access. This also prevents the kb from opening all the way, so the advantage of the z hinge in making the kb more flush with the screen is lost. This is my major gripe.
- Like others stated, the hardware buttons are hard to press through the case.

Troggie81

Oct 26, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
I have this case in smoke on my desire z right now and I am a bit torn between it and my previous clear plastic case.

Coverage is great (much better than the amazon plastic cases) and the cutouts fit perfectly. The tpu material feels good. The problems are:

- It is thicker than the cheap plastic cases. This is not a major issue, but I wish it was thinner.
- It intrudes into the keyboard area and makes the top row harder to access. This also prevents the kb from opening all the way, so the advantage of the z hinge in making the kb more flush with the screen is lost. This is my major gripe.
- Like others stated, the hardware buttons are hard to press through the case.

It's a little thicker than the other clear plastic cases, but I think it feels so much better without all of the gaps and edges. So for me it's worth it.

I don't think the intrusion is that bad, just something to get used to. I thought that the z-hinge was supposed to just keep the phone thinner overall, not just for when the keyboard is out.

The only button I had a hard time pressing was the power button. The camera one is easy, volume is a little more difficult but prevents accidental presses (which I like). The power button was definitely a problem though. I "fixed" it by cutting a slit along the top and bottom of the raised button. That made it easier to press. Then, I cut 2 small strips from an unused matte screen protector and used them as a shim by sticking them to the under-side of the button on the case.

Those extra steps might not be worth it for some people, but I'm okay with it for a $6 case. I also did the spring hinge fix from another thread, so I kinda like messing with stuff anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here it is!

I received my TPU case today and I can honestly say that this is my favorite case so far. The entire inside edge of the case has a slight edge that keeps it on the phone. This means that the phone is always open just a bit, but also that the 2 halves are flush all the way around except for the middle top and bottom.

With the keyboard out, the two halves of the phone actually rest on the case instead of the little rubber pads built in. It's actually quite nice since it's the same on the front and back, and it's a long stable surface. Feels like there's less wiggle both open and closed.

The volume, camera, and power buttons are covered, but the case is raised in those areas so you can still feel where they are. The volume and camera buttons are still easy to press, but the power button takes a lot of force to push. This is probably due to the stiffness of the case and small size of the button. I might try gluing a tiny plastic shim on the inside of the case there to make it easier to press. In the mean time, I just added a shortcut to lock it on my home screen.

I don't like the shape of the cutout for the touch screen. I would prefer the top of the opening to not cover around the speaker, even though there are cutouts for that and the light/proximity sensors. I'd also like the bottom of the screen cutout to follow the curvature of the screen instead of being so squared off.

I wasn't so sure about the argyle pattern on the back, but I kinda like it now. It's rather subtle at certain angles. The clear looks good except for a couple spots on the front where it looks a little dull or matte from the inside. I may end up ordering a smoke colored one later on if this one starts to discolor (like paste cases of this material have before).

Overall, I highly recommend these cases!

eparC.jpg

ATWnh.jpg

XGDnz.jpg

nRXay.jpg

sMEYf.jpg

FQ3n5.jpg

GX19O.jpg

NG06C.jpg

QR9aN.jpg

SM1Xy.jpg
    The cutouts are perfect as far as I can tell. Front and back speakers, light/proximity sensors, camera/flash are all exact. The headphone and usb cutouts are a bit larger to accommodate accessories. Also, the mic cutout comes around to the front a little, I'm guessing to lessen interference.
    Volume, camera, and power are raised on the outside and hollowed out a little on the inside. The power button's hollow is just a little too deep, recquiring more pressure to push the button.