Favorite Watch Faces

Search This thread

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Working on watchface #2. Not live in the app store yet, but what do you think?

Also anyone who likes my first watch face I'd love some reviews in the app store.

Attachments

• 20180924_124409.jpg
    20180924_124409.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 7,739
Reactions: andriellka

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
I don't know if it exist, but did you ever think about creating a watchface whose always on display is analoge and the actual activated face being digital? For me only watch faces with a very simple AoD are feasible since I do not want to waste the whole battery on a fancy display I do not currently look at

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2012
I'm not personally a fan of blue watchfaces, or anything else with background colors other than either pure or very-near black. I just find that the OLED glow from them really looks unnatural.

Does anyone know if the two watchfaces to the left in the Samsung marketing pics below are defaults on the Galaxy Watch that can be obtained and installed on the Gear S3?

RJ4LtW94

Also, in particular - those 2 watch faces seem to show the current weather/temperature... does anyone also know if that works properly without killing the battery on the Galaxy Watch, as opposed to the Gear S3? I've tried about a dozen "weather" capable watchfaces on the Gear S3, and every one of them drains the battery at about 10% per hour, instead of <1% when using any other non-weather watchface.

I'm wondering if this is just bad programming/implementation of the weather on existing watchfaces that the developers aren't aware of (possibly turning on and leaving on GPS all the time?). And if the new watch faces in the picture implement the weather feature better and don't suck the battery dry?

Many thanks
TRJB

Attachments

• galaxy-watch_silver_black_rosegold.jpg
    galaxy-watch_silver_black_rosegold.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5,152
Last edited:

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I don't know if it exist, but did you ever think about creating a watchface whose always on display is analoge and the actual activated face being digital? For me only watch faces with a very simple AoD are feasible since I do not want to waste the whole battery on a fancy display I do not currently look at

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

That's an interesting idea. I can take a look into that. Most watches I have use both analog and digital, but I could easily do analog only on a black background for the AOD screen.

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I'm not personally a fan of blue watchfaces, or anything else with background colors other than either pure or very-near black. I just find that the OLED glow from them really looks unnatural.

Does anyone know if the two watchfaces to the left in the Samsung marketing pics below are defaults on the Galaxy Watch that can be obtained and installed on the Gear S3?

Also, in particular - those 2 watch faces seem to show the current weather/temperature... does anyone also know if that works properly without killing the battery on the Galaxy Watch, as opposed to the Gear S3? I've tried about a dozen "weather" capable watchfaces on the Gear S3, and every one of them drains the battery at about 10% per hour, instead of <1% when using any other non-weather watchface.

I'm wondering if this is just bad programming/implementation of the weather on existing watchfaces that the developers aren't aware of (possibly turning on and leaving on GPS all the time?). And if the new watch faces in the picture implement the weather feature better and don't suck the battery dry?

Many thanks
TRJB

No pictures came through on your post btw.

Weather on watch faces is tricky. I think the battery drain is a Samsung issue actually. It pulls the data from your phone, but it updates it ALOT. Way too often IMO. I have avoided using it for that reason, but may take a look and see if I can trick it into only pulling once an hour or something.

If you had a black background watch face what would you want the colors of everything else to be?

Reactions: telzh
Dec 6, 2012
No pictures came through on your post btw.

Weather on watch faces is tricky. I think the battery drain is a Samsung issue actually. It pulls the data from your phone, but it updates it ALOT. Way too often IMO. I have avoided using it for that reason, but may take a look and see if I can trick it into only pulling once an hour or something.

If you had a black background watch face what would you want the colors of everything else to be?

Hopefully I fixed the post, the image with the marketing photo should be attached now. I normally put my images on postimages.org and use the "img" tool to insert them in forum posts - that doesn't seem to work here for some reason so I uploaded to xda as an attachment instead.

As far as style and color, I *really* like this stock photo of the new Galaxy Watch that everyone has on their sites. It seems to be the new default watch face. I'd love to get that for the Gear S3. If weather isn't an option due to huge battery drain, then heartrate instead.

Attachments

• galaxy-watch-silver_81ZKNYBwYlL._SL1500_.jpg
    galaxy-watch-silver_81ZKNYBwYlL._SL1500_.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 9,441

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
Working on a "mostly black" watchface per the above request. Made a blue and a red.

i like the glow effect of the green one, but am really worried about the battery life if this was to be the AoD as well. Would prefer a very low battery consuming (few pixels alive on AoD) with the time still showing and the real watch face to include the appointments of your calendar.

I keep going back to the preinstalled "my day" or whatever it is called during the work day, because it's just great to have those appointments show up.

What do you think about the idea to only have an hour indicator at the border (like what some clock faces do for the second) so you can see how close your next appointment is and the rest of clock being a very simply digital clock?

wuub

Mar 2, 2007
Monaco
Actually just updated it (PMW-01.3).
I added the glowing seconds and weather icon.
The idea was to have a good watch for traveling but yet elegant.
I also ripped on of the Samsung's BG to have a unified interface with the one I use.

Happy to share it if you like it.

Attachments

• 20180926_080359.jpg
    20180926_080359.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,784
Reactions: hensk

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
i like the glow effect of the green one, but am really worried about the battery life if this was to be the AoD as well. Would prefer a very low battery consuming (few pixels alive on AoD) with the time still showing and the real watch face to include the appointments of your calendar.

I keep going back to the preinstalled "my day" or whatever it is called during the work day, because it's just great to have those appointments show up.

What do you think about the idea to only have an hour indicator at the border (like what some clock faces do for the second) so you can see how close your next appointment is and the rest of clock being a very simply digital clock?

The AOD screen on the watch only uses about 6% of the pixels. So it should be pretty easy on the battery. I'm running it on the watch now I'll let you know how it goes. I don't push anything to the app store that is bad on the battery.

I can add a calendar widget to it, but it will probably cause more battery drain.

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
The "My Day" clock face is pretty close to what i really would like to have, but the AoD on that one has a moving hand for the seconds. I would probably like to have that removed, so it is more static and battery friendly. Sadly i did not find a way yet to get the "My Day" clock face into the Clock Face Designer to adjust it.

It would be great to have this with the adjusted AoD and a Digital instead of a analogue clock for the regular clock view.

Do you know how to get the preinstalled clock faces into the designer ?

Dec 6, 2012
I have a question about Watchmaker for those of you using it...

Do the watch faces update themselves (their time display) either in the background, or just before the screen turns back on?

IE, with GWD watch faces, that's the case, when the screen lights up the watch face is showing the current correct time.

However with both Mr. Time and Facer, this is NOT the case. The watch faces stall at whatever time it was when the screen turned off, and when it turns back on, the incorrect time is briefly displayed, after which it abruptly jumps to the correct time. This is hugely anoying to me and I don't use either of those apps and their plethora of watch faces for that reason.

What is the case with Watchmaker - do those faces function correctly like the native Samsung GWD ones do, or do they jump the time like Mr. Time and Facer?

Thanks
TRJB

wuub

Mar 2, 2007
Monaco
I have a question about Watchmaker for those of you using it...

Do the watch faces update themselves (their time display) either in the background, or just before the screen turns back on?

IE, with GWD watch faces, that's the case, when the screen lights up the watch face is showing the current correct time.

However with both Mr. Time and Facer, this is NOT the case. The watch faces stall at whatever time it was when the screen turned off, and when it turns back on, the incorrect time is briefly displayed, after which it abruptly jumps to the correct time. This is hugely anoying to me and I don't use either of those apps and their plethora of watch faces for that reason.

What is the case with Watchmaker - do those faces function correctly like the native Samsung GWD ones do, or do they jump the time like Mr. Time and Facer?

Thanks
TRJB
Hi there

It does jump to the actual time when the watch goes on. But it's almost instantly happening.

Here is the shortest video I ever made ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1fbmpustxpw2is/20180926_195429.mp4?dl=0

( Ignore the background voice. It's just my brother who's super happy ;))

Dec 6, 2012
Hi there

It does jump to the actual time when the watch goes on. But it's almost instantly happening.

Here is the shortest video I ever made ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1fbmpustxpw2is/20180926_195429.mp4?dl=0

( Ignore the background voice. It's just my brother who's super happy ;))

Thanks!

That's exactly like Mr. Time and Facer... I can't stand that, so I guess I won't be using Watchmaker either.

I wonder why they can't program it to update before turning on like the native Samsung GWD faces do.

Cheers
TRJB

wuub

Mar 2, 2007
Monaco
Thanks!

That's exactly like Mr. Time and Facer... I can't stand that, so I guess I won't be using Watchmaker either.

I wonder why they can't program it to update before turning on like the native Samsung GWD faces do.

Cheers
TRJB
Building your own face isn't that complicated with the Samsung Designer so, could make your own.
You can also use that graphics from a face you like by renaming the .watch file to .zip and extract them (remember to thank or ask authorisation if you want to publish it).

I will try the Samsung way but at the moment I have not managed to connect my watch to my PC, :/

Reactions: mikeblock

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I developed this one last week is free. Let me know what you think.

http://apps.samsung.com/gear/appDetail.as?appId=com.watchface.ShrekDroidBlueSteel
    Now these next 2 skeleton watch faces I made get the most face time on my watch.
    I also see after making these, why people charge for these skeleton faces. It takes a lot of time to rebuild the faces.

Panerai Radiomir 1940 Minute Repeater Carillon Tourbillon, a few of the colors I made for this face, and the dim mode.
    I did change this one from the S3 forum. The 2 smaller dials I originally had for battery and steps. I changed it to be like the real watch now.
    I have created this watch face:
    NSuJ31D.png

was inspired by a similar watchface, but couldn't find it on tizen store.
    One I made in the WatchMaker app. The second hand sweeps, the 24 hour hand works and from 8pm till 7am when the watch dims the AOD has all the luminescent parts glowing.
    Working on a "mostly black" watchface per the above request. Made a blue and a red.