AT&T Galaxy Mega Official KitKat Update

Search This thread

intelmax

Sep 16, 2014
galaxy mega

[
:cowboy:were I can download odin for galaxy mega i527. my phone just show the galaxy mega logo then shut off. did any idea what can be.:eek:

Surgeman

Apr 5, 2007
Nashville
Here is a thought.... Once root is acquired in this new 4.4.2 can't we just have it load the proper digitizer driver (maybe a .ko file?) Just a thought...

I have said this many times also...Once and if we ever get root the driver can be back dated and then it will work properly...As of now..some if not over 70% of users who bought these second hand have the boot looping issue with non-oem screens...Which the AT&T trick works so well in the stores because they never crack the units open,and suspect the worst and swap them...Keep in mind...The phone has to be used on the account also...It has to show the IMEI has been used at one point on the account or they won't do anything with it...Good luck..

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

[
:cowboy:were I can download odin for galaxy mega i527. my phone just show the galaxy mega logo then shut off. did any idea what can be.:eek:

This is Odin,the Pit file,and the AT&T Jelly Bean full firmware with full instructions..Hope this helps..

http://unbrick.itcse.com/unbrick-soft-bricked-at-t-samsung-galaxy-mega-sgh-i527/

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
So everyone that used this update completely destroyed their touch screen drivers? AWESOME...

That wasn't my case. Mine was the digitizer. I switched the white screen from the International to my AT&T Mega and after the 4.4.2 update the digitizer stopped responding. I can still see the screen (LCD is ok) Waiting to see if someone comes up with a root method for this phone and then a driver for the digitizer so I can get my white A&T Galaxy Mega back up and running... Using my Note3 in the meantime running Pac ROM, haven't missed the Mega yet.. only it's huge screen... :)

kamel14

Jan 16, 2015
kAIS
The only prerequisite to the update is that your running stock mr2 rom. The first process in the update is to run a "verification check" of your device system/app folder. It scans to make sure select apps are in your system or if they've been tampered with if so it will fail between 20-30%, restart then say the download was interrupted.
Hello
I want to pass the 4.4 update for my phone sgh-i527 android 4.2.2
But I did not know the way
Can I change the name of the file 2400258.cfg (ATT OTA 4.4 UPDATE.cfg) to be updated.zip
Then use Recovery Mode to install this update
(Apply Update from External Storage)

Last edited:

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Switched my Sprint Mega screen with the AT&T. Sprint is still at 4.3 so go .both working. :)

kka111

Feb 11, 2014
I have a att mega 6.3 with 4.2
What is the advantage in upgrading to 4.4?
Am I getting any additional features or functionality?
I am planning to disable the updates and stay with 4.2 and root it with kingo (which I have done once before).

Unicorn69

Mar 25, 2014
mega 4.2

I have a att mega 6.3 with 4.2
What is the advantage in upgrading to 4.4?
Am I getting any additional features or functionality?
I am planning to disable the updates and stay with 4.2 and root it with kingo (which I have done once before).

If you still have 4.2 on your phone keep it that way, you can still root and use programs like nandroid. I like many others were a little to impatient and upgraded to 4.4 now we are stuck without root :(

so again hang on to 4.2 and enjoy

Uni

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
If you still have 4.2 on your phone keep it that way, you can still root and use programs like nandroid. I like many others were a little to impatient and upgraded to 4.4 now we are stuck without root :(

so again hang on to 4.2 and enjoy

Uni
Is it going to be impossible to root 4.4.2 on ATT version or is it just a matter of time? I was able to get my 4.4.2 Rogers canada mega rooted.. but that guy says he can't root att because of locked bootloader! What is your best guess? Do you think this would eventually be solved? There are some seriously smart people here on the xda and I have hope! :)

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
Update on March 31, 2015: FINALLY, I have my i527 (ATT) with 4.4.2 rooted! I spoke to a couple of the "android rooter companies online".. One eneded up having to refund the money because they could not do it. The android rooter software, sold commercially was useless (forgot the name). Finally, I found this one guy.. he said and he did root it and unlock it for only $50!
If any of you are interested, please PM me and I will give you his contact info.

And by the way, I am still in for $20 for root bounty - if comeone figures it out - even though I no longer need it, I would like to encourage a root solution for this.. Obviously, it can be done.. and also obviously, I would never ask the guy who rooted it as to how he did it. :eek:

malebornin69

Apr 16, 2011
Hurricane WV
Honor 9 Lite
Update on March 31, 2015: FINALLY, I have my i527 (ATT) with 4.4.2 rooted! I spoke to a couple of the "android rooter companies online".. One eneded up having to refund the money because they could not do it. The android rooter software, sold commercially was useless (forgot the name). Finally, I found this one guy.. he said and he did root it and unlock it for only $50!
If any of you are interested, please PM me and I will give you his contact info.

And by the way, I am still in for $20 for root bounty - if comeone figures it out - even though I no longer need it, I would like to encourage a root solution for this.. Obviously, it can be done.. and also obviously, I would never ask the guy who rooted it as to how he did it. :eek:

Yeah well I am calling BULL S#!t on this post....................show us some proof

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
Yeah well I am calling BULL S#!t on this post....................show us some proof
What do I have to gain by misleading? How can I offer proof?
Two people have emailed me asking for the contact.. Maybe one of them would post here, if they get their phone done.

As you can see, I am still offering root bounty for someone here who can figure out a root, even though I don't need it anymore - just in the interest of promoting fellow members..

In the past, I had used to use another company in Skoke, IL to root my prior phones.. They rooted my Rogers canada version of mega 6.3 with 4.4.2 but said it was impossible to root the ATT version.. But this guy did it for a lot less money and I got my phone back, very quickly.. I paid for both way shipping of course.

Last edited:

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
By the way, Mr. Doubting Thomas.. take a look at this thread.. where I am trying to make a mirror copy of my two rooted phones..
Do you really think that anyone would go through all that trouble, just to BS?
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-mega/help/how-restore-mega-t3069170#post60029255

And one other xda member said that he might send his phone out for rooting and if he does, he said he would post here..

I am only trying to help others.. because I know I was very frustrated when I was told initially, that my ATT 4.4.2 could not be rooted.. Without rooting, a phone is useless to me!

Last edited:

malebornin69

Apr 16, 2011
Hurricane WV
Honor 9 Lite
By the way, Mr. Doubting Thomas.. take a look at this thread.. where I am trying to make a mirror copy of my two rooted phones..
Do you really think that anyone would go through all that trouble, just to BS?
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-mega/help/how-restore-mega-t3069170#post60029255

And one other xda member said that he might send his phone out for rooting and if he does, he said he would post here..

I am only trying to help others.. because I know I was very frustrated when I was told initially, that my ATT 4.4.2 could not be rooted.. Without rooting, a phone is useless to me!

Looks to me like you are trying to promote a paid service on XDA and you are offering ZERO proof of your claim. Once again I call BULL S#!t !!!!!!!

Reactions: dparrothead1

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
My continued full and truthful disclosure.

When I got the phone back from the rooting guy, it had a program called Root Checker already installed.
I used that root checker program to check root status and it said that the phone was rooted.

As I wrote in the preceding, it was my backup phone and I had put it away in my travel kit.

In the interest of helping other forum members here, I thought I would double check it with Titanium.
So, today, i installed Titanium.. And when I signed in, with my email account, it started updating.. I don't know what all got updated.. I saw apps being updated..
but it is still at 4.4.2.. But the root no longer works. I emailed the guy with the issue and am waiting for his reply. I offered to pay him again.. just to fix it again.. in case I made a mistake during updating.

Attached are the pictures.. As you can see, it no longer has root access.. I am trying to be truthful and helpful.

Once I hear back from him and if and when he fixes it, I will post again. But at this time, my ATT phone is no longer rooted.
The preceding is about my ATT i527 of course..

My Rogers/Canada i527 has had no such problems. I rooted it myself while it was 4.2. Someone else rooted it with 4.4.2.. And I disabled software update.. and it is working just fine, with rooting..

I will post again, with progress.

It has been two days.. I sent him a reminder email, offering to pay again, to fix the root.. It is a small amount for me to pay.. but he has not replied.. maybe (hopefully) its because its weekend..

Attachments

• root1.png
    root1.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 116
  • root2.png
    root2.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 124
  • root3.jpg
    root3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 122

mke1

Mar 2, 2014
Finally, I was able to reach the guy.. via text.. he said he never saw my emails.. even though I was sending to the same email address, with which I had communicated with him, in the past.
Anyway, he replied to my text, fairly quickly.. Maybe because I offered to pay him again :eek:..
Hey.. I am desperate.. I have no use for any phone without rooting!

I reminded him that all I did was to login with gmail on download/update all my apps from my gmail..
He said he would check my phone..
Of course I removed my accounts with a factory reset..

I will post again, whether he was successful or not, at rooting it..

Btw, for those of you who thought I was promoting some paid service.. hopefully, you will notice that I am not exactly raving about this guy any more!

When I got my phone back and found it to be rooted, I was excited and wanted to help others..
When it lost root, i reported it promptly. A few people send me PM asking for the guys contact info and I told them to not go to him, until i can confirm that his rooting is actually permanent..

I did send in the phone today... with another payment.. lets see if he can actually root it permanently!!

malebornin69

Apr 16, 2011
Hurricane WV
Honor 9 Lite
haaaaa

Finally, I was able to reach the guy.. via text.. he said he never saw my emails.. even though I was sending to the same email address, with which I had communicated with him, in the past.
Anyway, he replied to my text, fairly quickly.. Maybe because I offered to pay him again :eek:..
Hey.. I am desperate.. I have no use for any phone without rooting!

I reminded him that all I did was to login with gmail on download/update all my apps from my gmail..
He said he would check my phone..
Of course I removed my accounts with a factory reset..

I will post again, whether he was successful or not, at rooting it..

Btw, for those of you who thought I was promoting some paid service.. hopefully, you will notice that I am not exactly raving about this guy any more!

When I got my phone back and found it to be rooted, I was excited and wanted to help others..
When it lost root, i reported it promptly. A few people send me PM asking for the guys contact info and I told them to not go to him, until i can confirm that his rooting is actually permanent..

I did send in the phone today... with another payment.. lets see if he can actually root it permanently!!

BULLS#; T!!!!!! JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER THING YOU HAVE POSTED ON HERE ......his next trick will be to post photos of his rooted phone which will also be bullsh#it!!!!!

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

BULLS#; T!!!!!! JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER THING YOU HAVE POSTED ON HERE ......his next trick will be to post photos of his rooted phone which will also be bullsh#it!!!!!
If you what to give your money away I will Photoshop you some pretty pictures on a rooted phone also!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone received this ota update or even Kies? Kies doesn't have it and ota manual check is a no go. I guess I might unroot if it becomes available soon altho I will lose the "unlockedness" and I won't be able to use metro pcs on it. I think the mega is ready for a smoother and more efficient OS. Can't wait to see how it runs on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I got the DL OTA- takes about an hr. to download and must be over wifi. Over 500 mb. If you are rooted, it will not install. I unrooted with OTA rootkeeper Voodoo and it failed at 25%. Then I left it rooted. It failed at 28%. The 3rd time I unrooted with supersu. Crossed my fingers, let voodoo keep my root backup, and it did install.

Voodoo won't work on anything over 4.3, so it won't restore my root. Kingo won't work either. So you will lose root till someone figures out how to root without a flashable zip.
    Added link to download adb package

ok how to do all of that lol

STEP 1
    If you don't have it you need to download Odin software to run on your computer. LINK TO DOWNLOAD ODIN HERE

STEP 2
    Next you need to download the mr2.tar.md5 file. LINK TO DOWNLOAD STOCK MR2 FILE HERE

STEP 3
    Once your done downloading the above files unzip the odin3.09.zip, open the folder and run Odin3 v3.09.3.exe file, and when prompted to run program select yes.

FROM HERE THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS
    A - YOU JUST INSALL THE MR2 ROM WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAD BEFORE

OR

B - YOU INSTALL THE KITKAT UPDATE AS WELL WHICH YOU WILL NEED ADB FOR IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALREADY - DOWNLOAD ADB ONLY WINDOWS

DOWNLOAD KITKAT OTA CFG FILE HERE

OPTION "A" INSTALL JUST MR2 ROM INSTRUCTIONS

Odin should be opened up on your computer now you need to boot your device in ODIN MODE. Hold down the VOLUME DOWN, MENU BUTTON, & POWER BUTTON. Once the device starts release the buttons as you should be at a screen that says Warning!! and explains about custom OS. Push VOLUME UP to continue into ODIN MODE. Here it should say Downloading... Do not turn off target !!. Plug your device into your computer with factory cable and most likely your computer will have to download drivers to continue so allow it to do that and when its done your device should be recognized in odin under ID:COM. Go to the AP box and locate the mr2.tar.md5 file you downloaded. Odin will run for a moment checking things and the box will be shaded until it finishes. Once it is done click start and let odin install the software. Once odin is done your device will restart and you can uplug it. YOUR DONE!

OPTION "B" UPDATE TO KITKAT INSTRUCTIONS (THIS IS BASED ON ASSUMPTION YOU HAVE ADB INSTALLED)

STEP 1
    Odin should be opened up on your computer now you need to boot your device in ODIN MODE. Hold down the VOLUME DOWN, MENU BUTTON, & POWER BUTTON. Once the device starts release the buttons as you should be at a screen that says Warning!! and explains about custom OS. Push VOLUME UP to continue into ODIN MODE. Here it should say Downloading... Do not turn off target !!. Plug your device into your computer with factory cable and most likely your computer will have to download drivers to continue so allow it to do that and when its done your device should be recognized in odin under ID:COM. UN-CHECK the Auto-Reboot box then go to the AP box and locate the mr2.tar.md5 file you downloaded. Odin will run for a moment checking things and the box will be shaded until it finishes. Once it is done click start and let odin install the software. Once odin is done your device will just sit there like it is still loading but that is only because I had you un-check the auto-reboot.

STEP 2
    UNPLUG your device and HOLD VOLUME UP, MENU BUTTON, & POWER BUTTON. It may take a few seconds but once it restarts you will be booting into recovery (the device should say RECOVERY BOOTING...... in upper left corner) technically, but what should happen is your phone will go to a screen that says Installing Update or something similar then say Erasing and will reboot again (If not just continue to STEP 3). If it does show this screen RIGHT as it reboots push and hold VOLUME UP, MENU BUTTON which will get the phone to reboot into recovery screen. If you miss it just wait for device to turn on then boot in recovery with above method.

STEP 3
    Now you should be in RECOVERY. Here the POWER button SELECTS and the two VOLUME buttons move UP & DOWN. Plug your device into your computer then Push VOLUME DOWN once then push POWER button to select "apply update from ADB" on your phone (drivers might need to install, wait for this and then continue). The phone screen should go to another about loading up sideload and how. Now if you have adb installed you need to open a command prompt window from "platform-tools" folder.

From here I will give examples (adjust according where your file is stored)

As example say I saved my file in my documents folder this would be the command to sideload the update

adb sideload c:/users/owner/my documents/ATT OTA 4.4 UPDATE.cfg - - File can be renamed.(I recently changed the name from 2400258.cfg to avoid confusion)

If you have any questions lots of people are available to help here thats why XDA is the best place to go for help. Just keep in mind we are not available at all time so just be patient for a reply. ;)

I was halfway through this post when I seen yours, but I posted it anyway for anyone who might have same issue. GOOD LUCK!

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

it isn't possible to load the update with Odin, is it?

Nope
    Actually...

You have to have an att sim in or you will get an error message- something like update check interrupted. Found this out cause I would have a ptel sim in it and the software check for update would fail with that message. At least that's how OTA works.

You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.
    You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.

That may have worked with your s4. This is a Mega. When I had my ptel sim in it I would get update check interupted. When I put in my att sim, The check would go though all the way. Then say I was on the latest available.

Is Net 10 an att mvno?? I know ptel is a t-mo mvno.

To save myself time, I just put in my att sim to grab the 4.4.2 update. You have to have a wifi connection or it won't DL. You can't be rooted or it won't install. I'm talking strictly OTA.

When I plugged into my Kies, it wanted to update to a newer kies version. That installed, then said it is not compatible with my Mega!! Offered to install Kies3. So I did. That works with the Mega. I don't know if it will work with my Note 8 tab.
    It doesn't fail because it never gets the update. It always says interrupted.

By the way, I miswrote early. Has anyone updated without an AT&T Sim?

You should have just read my post then and go to the ota download link and install it that way. LINK TO THAT POST HERE

And to be clear the download never actually downloads? OR you mean it downloads, but stops so far during install, restarts, then tells you it was interrupted? Need to know which it is. My apologies ahead if you have previously stated.

hey which file is this 2400258.cfg

Its the actual at&t 4.4 kitkat OTA update extracted from my Mega after download. Just make sure you read the thread and understand it will lock you down harder because of knox kernel etc.

Did everything you said except I am getting a bootloop...Shows SAmsung galaxy mega then turns off and repeats

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

aint this some monkey crap...

I try to go into the recovery and get a "system spftware not authorized by AT&T has been found on your phone. Please turn off your phone and go to the nearest AT&T store for help"

Could've saved going to the store and instead flashed official stock mr2 tar.md5 in odin and fixed it that way. File is in my signature under mega repository.. Thats why I dont like using kies for stuff like that. It works for some but not all and has a tendency to do just that.

If you want the new update best way since you already have a clean device I would do just that, flash the mr2.tar.md5 in odin with auto reboot unchecked. Once finished load the device into recovery and grab the ota update from my thread and install it via sideload.