[ROM][0.0.7.3]ICS CM9 ThinkPad Tablet (Alpha)

Search This thread

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
This a a CM9 Port for the Thinkpad Tablet made by Jon2555 and me. Its still under development, so you might run into bugs.

You are flashing this ROM on your own risk. It could eat your kittens, steal your breakfast or brick your device!
431914all-small.jpeg

(Higher Resolution)

Requirements:
- A US, UK or WE device (Might also work on others)
- root (obviously)
- CWM

Installation:
- Download xxx.zip and put it on a sd-card
- Boot into CWM (Reboot and press Vol+)
- Make a nandroid backup in CWM!
- Make sure the backup worked!
- Full Wipe (May not be needed if you come from an earlier CM9 version)
- Flash zip in CWM

Restore HC:
- Restore old nandroid backup

Working:
- Wifi
- Touchscreen + Stylus
- Bluetooth
- HW Acceleration
- Sound
- External Mouse
- Folio (mostly)
- VPN
- Hardware Button

Not Working
- Camera
- 3G
- HW Video Decoding (i.e. for Youtube HQ)
- No mount as USB/MTP

Known Bugs
- Wifi doesn't always reconnect to networks
- Trebuchet has wrong size and misses a few pixels
- Sometimes apps on the market are incompatible (see Play Store/Market)
- Sound doesn't mute when headphones are plugged in

Play Store/Market
Sometimes the market marks apps as incompatible. This happens randomly. If it happens to you try one (or more) of the following:

Folio
The Folio works but some of the special keys don't. One problem with the Folio is, that there are different Keylayouts (i.e. UK, US) but without a different device ID. In the standard setup this ROM uses the UK layout, if you want to use a US layout, you have to delete a file:

Code:
su 
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm /system/usr/keychars/Vendor_1241_Product_0003_Version_0110.kcm

- The Cyanogenmod team
- digetx for the Green Flash fix
- Everyone releasing their source codes for other builds
- Everyone trying to find and report bugs

If you like our work press the thank button or buy us some lego.

Download
http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=185alpha00731.zip

Sourcecodes
https://github.com/Koshu

Changelog:
Code:
[B]Version 0.0.7.3.1[/B]
- Fixed Pen driver to solve reboot problem

[B]Version 0.0.7.3[/B]
- Added new experimental play store hack v2

[B]Version 0.0.7.2[/B]
- Added new experimental play store hack

[B]Version 0.0.7.1[/B]
- removed assert check again

[B]Version 0.0.7[/B]
- fixed touchscreen scrolling issue 

[B]Version 0.0.6.3.1[/B]
- added missing generic.kl again

[B]Version 0.0.6.3[/B]
- Added xt_qtaguid to kernel to solve reboot bug
- Changed some configs to fix minor bugs

[B]Version 0.0.6.1[/B]
- Fixed wrong Generic.kl for folio

[B]Version 0.0.6[/B]
- Fixed Hardware Button Rotate Key
- Fixed Hardware Button Home Key
- Added disable Touchscreen through pressing the Browser Button
- Fixed VPN (Needs testing)
- Fixed Folio (Expect some keys not available in normal CM9)

[B]Version 0.0.5[/B]
- Changed to newest CM9 Sourcecode
- Fixed naming in storage listing
- Quill recognizes pen as pen
- Gtalk works with new CM9 and new Gapps

[B]Version 0.0.4.2[/B]
- Sound works (no Headphones, but maybe we will get there today) Update: Headphones work

[B]Version 0.0.4.1[/B]
- Sound works in ALSA and partially in Android (Click sounds work, youtube and Music doesn't)

[B]Version 0.0.4[/B]
- Fixed Green overlay issue (thanks digetx for the hint)
- Fixed Problem with surface Buffer (No force close of GUI anymore)

[B]Version 0.0.3.2[/B]
- Modified N-Trig drivers directly in Kernel (Touch Wrapper isn't needed anymore)
- Still trying to figure out how to fix the green overlay issue

[B]Version 0.0.3.1[/B]
- Fixed GPS (?)
- Fixed internal media storage

[B]Version 0.0.3[/B]
- Wrapper for new ICS-Touchscreen API -> Touchscreen works 

[B]Version 0.0.2[/B]
- Wifi works (But not Signal Strengh in UI)
- Reboot Problems hopefully fixed (needs further testing)

[B]Version 0.0.1 (First Try)[/B]
Working:
- successfully booted
- stylus
- bluetooth (loaded fine but not tested transfering)

Bugs/Not working:
- Reboot Problems (like in CWM)
- No touchscreen (only Stylus)
- No wifi 
- No camera
- a bunch of other things

Last edited:

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
First!!!!.
:p

On a more serious note, nice to see a more organised OP for the rom. I hope we can make more progress with the development.

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
I can confirm this version does fix any freezing that was happening due to the pen button bug. This version is also silky smooth thanks to Koshu's and Jon's hard work.

Also, a fix for trebuchet not displaying correctly is to use Apex Launcher :) highly recommend. It has additional features as well that in my opinion make it a better experience.

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
Yup, that problem was happening every 5-10 minutes, and just worked for two hours without any problem with .00731. Also, just on another note, there's that ever occurring problem of loss of pen strokes after like 5-10 minutes after which I have to replace the battery or lock/unlock the tablet before it continues to work. Is this now a hardware problem as I've had it since day 1, through all the updates and also this ROM now.

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
@yahoowizard

I had that issue since day once as well, and it happened just yesterday when I restored an early build (I think it was 005x but not sure). But I feel like since 006x I haven't had that issue.

I've used build 00731 (full wipe) with Quill and Lecture Notes for several hours today without that occurring. So yeah I'm not sure what causes that bug, but like I said above, I feel like it was fixed a few builds past.

Last edited:

soveryevil

Jan 8, 2010
Put this on last night. Not having any market issues (any problem apps you want me to check?)

Only problem I have now is Chrome Beta still crashes after a few seconds use?

Thanks for all the hard work!

Reactions: rayb1966

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
Put this on last night. Not having any market issues (any problem apps you want me to check?)

Yeah it does... and it does this on my other devices, too. Its still a beta so lets fix things with chrome when its stable or when there is nothing else to do.

pau-pau123

May 22, 2011
with full wipe the installation takes about 15 seconds, says its complete (really skeptical here). on boot, it shows the lenovo logo but wont boot up, tried for about 20 minutes now..

//got bootloop now. so i guess i cant really say how it works for me :D

Last edited:

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
with full wipe the installation takes about 15 seconds, says its complete (really skeptical here). on boot, it shows the lenovo logo but wont boot up, tried for about 20 minutes now..

//got bootloop now. so i guess i cant really say how it works for me :D

A lenovo boot logo? Then something went totally wrong. I replaced the boot animation, means that there are still parts of stock HC on your tpt. You might want to recheck if the zip is downloaded and moved to your sdcard without errors and try again.

pau-pau123

May 22, 2011
well, the very inital font saying 'lenovo', right after the vibration.

downloaded once more, which eventually led to the bootloop (156mb).. installed on top of the no bloat ota2.5, installed full wipe, installed just witch dalvic and chace wipe. no clue what went wrong really

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007

downloaded once more, which eventually led to the bootloop (156mb).. installed on top of the no bloat ota2.5, installed full wipe, installed just witch dalvic and chace wipe. no clue what went wrong really

Ah ok that logo^^, that's normal, sorry thought you were talking about the bootanimation. Do you have an US device?

allquixotic

Mar 19, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Koshu,

Thanks for the excellent ROM -- after a few hurdles that were all my fault, I managed to get it up and running.

First, I'd like to say: if anyone is unable to get this running because ClockworkMod Recovery reboots itself after 30 seconds (even if you're doing nothing, e.g. sitting at the main CWM menu), chances are you installed the "ROW" (Rest of World) CWM on a non-ROW tablet. This was the case for me. HOWEVER, don't fret if you already wiped out your system -- there's a workaround.

Plug a USB device with logic (e.g. not a "dumb" battery; something like a phone or flash drive) into the full-size USB "Host" port on your thinkpad. This, magically, will prevent CWM from rebooting after 30 seconds, allowing you to properly use it for backup/restore and for flashing CM9.

In fact, this is the only difference I could find between the ROW CWM that I accidentally flashed, and the US one. So if you always will have a USB device handy of some type, you can continue to use the ROW CWM and don't have to mess with it. Plug 'er in and it magically works!

However, I am having a problem. My attachable USB folio keyboard doesn't work at all. No keyboard, no mouse, no errors. Your OP has it down as "mostly", so does that mean it only works if you do some hack, or is it just my specific model not working? I'd expect that something like a USB keyboard would be handled by upstream Linux kernel USB device drivers... no?

For posterity's sake: my TPT is the 64GB variety, with no 3G/WAN, US Version, and I installed ICS after wiping data and Dalvik, on a system that had NEVER had an OTA applied to it -- straight stock from the factory, running a ROM ending in "_0065". I was running CWM version 5.5.0.4 and tested CM9 version 0.0.7.3.1.

Last edited:

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
Yup, that problem was happening every 5-10 minutes, and just worked for two hours without any problem with .00731. Also, just on another note, there's that ever occurring problem of loss of pen strokes after like 5-10 minutes after which I have to replace the battery or lock/unlock the tablet before it continues to work. Is this now a hardware problem as I've had it since day 1, through all the updates and also this ROM now.

pen wonk - pen is periodically not recognized by the system

Unfortunately, I experienced the pen wonk periodically in class today. I wonder if it's a hardware issue too or an Android issue, because I have also experienced it on every ROM including stock. I'll try to get a logcat while note taking tomorrow to see if we can get any information about the 'pen wonk' issue.

Koshu,

However, I am having a problem. My attachable USB folio keyboard doesn't work at all. No keyboard, no mouse, no errors. Your OP has it down as "mostly", so does that mean it only works if you do some hack, or is it just my specific model not working? I'd expect that something like a USB keyboard would be handled by upstream Linux kernel USB device drivers... no?

For posterity's sake: my TPT is the 64GB variety, with no 3G/WAN, US Version, and I installed ICS after wiping data and Dalvik, on a system that had NEVER had an OTA applied to it -- straight stock from the factory, running a ROM ending in "_0065". I was running CWM version 5.5.0.4 and tested CM9 version 0.0.7.3.1.

First of all, congrats on getting up and running and figuring out that CWR workaround. I also have US, Wi-Fi only US TPT. I can successfully connect my bluetooth keyboard and even enable it as a input device within the bluetooth settings. But the keyboard isn't listed anywhere in the Language & Input settings menu. I believe it should have a new subsection name Physical Keyboard Is the keyboard folio listed?

@Koshu

I was wondering if there was a way to disable the 3G/WAN in ICS if no such connection is possible? I have a Wi-Fi only model but still have empty cell bars in my status bar. Just curious :)

Last edited:

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007

Ok, so it already worked on similar devices. Did the installation Finish? Like allquixotic stated there reboot problems in cwm. It shouldn't reboot on it's own in the installation process.

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
Koshu,

Thanks for the excellent ROM -- after a few hurdles that were all my fault, I managed to get it up and running.

First, I'd like to say: if anyone is unable to get this running because ClockworkMod Recovery reboots itself after 30 seconds (even if you're doing nothing, e.g. sitting at the main CWM menu), chances are you installed the "ROW" (Rest of World) CWM on a non-ROW tablet. This was the case for me. HOWEVER, don't fret if you already wiped out your system -- there's a workaround.

Plug a USB device with logic (e.g. not a "dumb" battery; something like a phone or flash drive) into the full-size USB "Host" port on your thinkpad. This, magically, will prevent CWM from rebooting after 30 seconds, allowing you to properly use it for backup/restore and for flashing CM9.

In fact, this is the only difference I could find between the ROW CWM that I accidentally flashed, and the US one. So if you always will have a USB device handy of some type, you can continue to use the ROW CWM and don't have to mess with it. Plug 'er in and it magically works!

"Mostly" Means that the Folio is working except some special keys, because there is no function to map them to in ASOP/CM9. These still need to be implemented. The rest should work out of the box. The driver folio is in the kernel, thats correct, but android still needs some mapping files to get a keyboard working. This is not the case for the mouse, which always worked if i remember correctly. Could you post a dumpsys with connected Folio?

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
pen wonk - pen is periodically not recognized by the system

Unfortunately, I experienced the pen wonk periodically in class today. I wonder if it's a hardware issue too or an Android issue, because I have also experienced it on every ROM including stock. I'll try to get a logcat while note taking tomorrow to see if we can get any information about the 'pen wonk' issue.
Hm, never happened to me and I took a lot of notes with the tpt, too. Please also try to get a dmesg, because if this is happening on all roms, it could also be a problem of the kernel driver.
First of all, congrats on getting up and running and figuring out that CWR workaround. I also have US, Wi-Fi only US TPT. I can successfully connect my bluetooth keyboard and even enable it as a input device within the bluetooth settings. But the keyboard isn't listed anywhere in the Language & Input settings menu. I believe it should have a new subsection name Physical Keyboard Is the keyboard folio listed?

@Koshu

I was wondering if there was a way to disable the 3G/WAN in ICS if no such connection is possible? I have a Wi-Fi only model but still have empty cell bars in my status bar. Just curious :)

Jepp there is a way. It's not really disabling the 3G, more like removing the icon. But let me check if there is a way to auto detect this, because i try to avoid multiple ROM versions and I'm still planing to get 3G working.

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
How do I get a logcat or a dmesg? While using some developer setting in Writepad Stylus (I think?) I noticed that the screen doesn't recognize the stylus at all at some points. It wasn't that the lines weren't registering, it was just that it was almost as though the pen was dead. But yeah, replacing battery or lock/unlocking tablet fixes it so >.> no idea what's going on there. If you fix that problem, I will love you forever, hahahaha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This a a CM9 Port for the Thinkpad Tablet made by Jon2555 and me. Its still under development, so you might run into bugs.

You are flashing this ROM on your own risk. It could eat your kittens, steal your breakfast or brick your device!
    431914all-small.jpeg

(Higher Resolution)

Requirements:
    - A US, UK or WE device (Might also work on others)
    - root (obviously)
    - CWM

Installation:
    - Download xxx.zip and put it on a sd-card
    - Make a nandroid backup in CWM!
    - Make sure the backup worked!
    - Full Wipe (May not be needed if you come from an earlier CM9 version)
    - Flash zip in CWM

Restore HC:
    - Restore old nandroid backup

Working:
    - Wifi
    - Touchscreen + Stylus
    - Bluetooth
    - HW Acceleration
    - Sound
    - External Mouse
    - Folio (mostly)
    - VPN
    - Hardware Button

Not Working
    - Camera
    - 3G
    - HW Video Decoding (i.e. for Youtube HQ)
    - No mount as USB/MTP

Known Bugs
    - Wifi doesn't always reconnect to networks
    - Trebuchet has wrong size and misses a few pixels
    - Sometimes apps on the market are incompatible (see Play Store/Market)
    - Sound doesn't mute when headphones are plugged in

Play Store/Market
    Sometimes the market marks apps as incompatible. This happens randomly. If it happens to you try one (or more) of the following:

Folio
    The Folio works but some of the special keys don't. One problem with the Folio is, that there are different Keylayouts (i.e. UK, US) but without a different device ID. In the standard setup this ROM uses the UK layout, if you want to use a US layout, you have to delete a file:

Code:
    su 
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    rm /system/usr/keychars/Vendor_1241_Product_0003_Version_0110.kcm

- The Cyanogenmod team
    - digetx for the Green Flash fix
    - Everyone releasing their source codes for other builds
    - Everyone trying to find and report bugs

If you like our work press the thank button or buy us some lego.

Download
    http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=185alpha00731.zip

Sourcecodes
    https://github.com/Koshu

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]Version 0.0.7.3.1[/B]
    - Fixed Pen driver to solve reboot problem

[B]Version 0.0.7.3[/B]
    - Added new experimental play store hack v2

[B]Version 0.0.7.2[/B]
    - Added new experimental play store hack

[B]Version 0.0.7.1[/B]
    - removed assert check again

[B]Version 0.0.7[/B]
    - fixed touchscreen scrolling issue 

[B]Version 0.0.6.3.1[/B]
    - added missing generic.kl again

[B]Version 0.0.6.3[/B]
    - Added xt_qtaguid to kernel to solve reboot bug
    - Changed some configs to fix minor bugs

[B]Version 0.0.6.1[/B]
    - Fixed wrong Generic.kl for folio

[B]Version 0.0.6[/B]
    - Fixed Hardware Button Rotate Key
    - Fixed Hardware Button Home Key
    - Added disable Touchscreen through pressing the Browser Button
    - Fixed VPN (Needs testing)
    - Fixed Folio (Expect some keys not available in normal CM9)

[B]Version 0.0.5[/B]
    - Changed to newest CM9 Sourcecode
    - Fixed naming in storage listing
    - Quill recognizes pen as pen
    - Gtalk works with new CM9 and new Gapps

[B]Version 0.0.4.2[/B]
    - Sound works (no Headphones, but maybe we will get there today) Update: Headphones work

[B]Version 0.0.4.1[/B]
    - Sound works in ALSA and partially in Android (Click sounds work, youtube and Music doesn't)

[B]Version 0.0.4[/B]
    - Fixed Green overlay issue (thanks digetx for the hint)
    - Fixed Problem with surface Buffer (No force close of GUI anymore)

[B]Version 0.0.3.2[/B]
    - Modified N-Trig drivers directly in Kernel (Touch Wrapper isn't needed anymore)
    - Still trying to figure out how to fix the green overlay issue

[B]Version 0.0.3.1[/B]
    - Fixed GPS (?)
    - Fixed internal media storage

[B]Version 0.0.3[/B]
    - Wrapper for new ICS-Touchscreen API -> Touchscreen works 

[B]Version 0.0.2[/B]
    - Wifi works (But not Signal Strengh in UI)
    - Reboot Problems hopefully fixed (needs further testing)

[B]Version 0.0.1 (First Try)[/B]
    Working:
    - successfully booted
    - stylus
    - bluetooth (loaded fine but not tested transfering)

Bugs/Not working:
    - Reboot Problems (like in CWM)
    - No touchscreen (only Stylus)
    - No wifi 
    - No camera
    - a bunch of other things
    That is totally understandable. I am extremely glad for the dev support we have received so far. Here's to hoping that once OEM ICS drops they can get it (hw video) working.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using xda premium

Should be possible or a least a lot easier.

I'm back from a vacation and will try to fix some of the audio/pen bugs the next days. 3G still makes problems, i'm thinking to release a wifi-only version until it is fixed (you know, removing the signal icons from the taskbar etc.)
    Updated my tablet to official ICS to get the new drivers for ICS. Unfortunately something went wrong (it broke my CWM) so i ended up loosing root and CWM. Looks like there won't be much development from my side until i find a solution or someone else a new root exploit.

For everyone else here, who is trying to build CM9 based on this sources: Feel free to share your builds if you want to, i won't mind (isn't this what opensource is about, anyway? ;)

I am sorry to hear that there is currently no more development on CM9 for the TPT.

Maybe we are paused for a while.
    But I still believe, we can have CM9 working.

Personally: I was some time abroad travelling, so no progress. Meanwhile ICS for ROW device was released. From now I'm back and i will try to push it