[NIGHTLY][ROM][2.3.7][GWK74] CyanogenMod 7 for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II

Search This thread

atinm

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2010
CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
** These CyanogenMod builds are highly experimental and unsupported.
** Please refrain from submitting bug reports for any issues
** you may encounter while running one of these builds.
** Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
** cause of male impotence.

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!!

What is CyanogenMod (in less terse form - by mad-murdock)?
since i am a bit idle right now, i try to answer this.

cyanogenmod is the only open source rom, that runs on 40+ different devices. we got around 45 devs (people who really write code and tweak things to make it work better - in contrast to cooks, who only use winzip to exchange this vs. that binary thingie) constantly making cyanogenmod better.

as background, you might wanna know, that google usually releases the sourcecode to their products (where honeycomb is the first exception, but thats another matter, ICS will be open source again). but when google releases their source code, you cannot compile it for ANY phone and it runs on it. thats the first part, we jump it - make it compatible with all the phones we support.

once it basicly runs, its time for what we call "cm extras" - we modify a lot on the gui and the system to make it run better. some stuff you as a user will never see involving tweaking libs and kernels, and some stuff you as a user will see a lot, like including theme manager, dsp manager, cm settings (cm settings are about as huge as the normal settings are). those settings range from simple "dont display clock in status bar" to complex profiles (as known from old nokia phones) or remapping of some keys (long press home, remapp search button behavior)

its way to much to list it all here, but i can assure you, cm is fast, usually stable on most devices and VERY VERY customizable - both in grafical ways as also in behavior way.

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

Installation instructions:

in following post - will move moved to Q&A Forum when that is up.

teamhacksung:
atin - http://gplus.to/atinm
codeworkx - http://gplus.to/codeworkx
coolya - http://gplus.to/coolya
unhelpful - http://twitter.com/unhelpfulone

Changelog:
Generic Changelog CMSRC Twitter
Device specific Changelog by igor.tonky

Modems:
TBD

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!

Last edited:

atinm

Jul 16, 2010
CyanogenMod 7 (w/ Gingerbread 2.3.7) for AT&T Galaxy SII

The only rule of CyanogenMod: you don't ask for ETAs. You install, your warranty is void.

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!!
FAQ (Please Read!!)

What is CyanogenMod (by mad-murdock)?
CyanogenMod is the only open source rom, that runs on 40+ different devices. we got around 45 devs (people who really write code and tweak things to make it work better - in contrast to cooks, who only use winzip to exchange this vs. that binary thingie) constantly making cyanogenmod better.

as background, you might wanna know, that google usually releases the sourcecode to their products (where honeycomb is the first exception, but thats another matter, ICS will be open source again). but when google releases their source code, you cannot compile it for ANY phone and it runs on it. thats the first part, we jump it - make it compatible with all the phones we support.

once it basicly runs, its time for what we call "cm extras" - we modify a lot on the gui and the system to make it run better. some stuff you as a user will never see involving tweaking libs and kernels, and some stuff you as a user will see a lot, like including theme manager, dsp manager, cm settings (cm settings are about as huge as the normal settings are). those settings range from simple "dont display clock in status bar" to complex profiles (as known from old nokia phones) or remapping of some keys (long press home, remapp search button behavior)

its way to much to list it all here, but i can assure you, cm is fast, usually stable on most devices and VERY VERY customizable - both in grafical ways as also in behavior way.
Q: How do I install this?
A:
Latest version:
Temporarily while buildbot is down:
You can get it from ROM Manager (look for teamhacksung builds for Galaxy SII AT&T) or
http://www.multiupload.com/RT29P7AOFS (md5: c8115d0a01d0a47b286ff5c9cc504175)

Previous kang: http://www.multiupload.com/A30J9DZN37 (md5: a23d1b99ff73da31e5d0421ec18e15e3)

Normally: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=nightly&device=galaxys2att

Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Galaxy S2 (or coming from another ROM)?

Note: You may need to flash twice back to back if the first one goes by too quickly - the actual flash takes a little time and sometimes the first flash doesn't "stick".

Install via ClockworkMod recovery (do not use ROMManager for initial install):

1. Make sure you're running a rooted device.
  2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1118693)
  3. Do a Nandroid backup!
  4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition) - do it for real.
  5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery.
  6. Do not reboot! We mean it - do nothing except choose zip and continue next step (if you come back to us with permission issues in install, we will know you did not read the directions and will call you an idiot). If it just plain hangs, reboot directly back into ClockworkMod recovery and continue at the next step.
  7. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery, again (due to a bug in the install).
  8. Reboot
  9. Install the Google Addon through ROMManager which is easiest, but you can
    download the gapps.zip and install via ClockworkMod recovery instead.

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
  1. Install ROMManager Premium.
  2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Samsung AT&T Galaxy S2.
  3. Choose Download ROMs.
  4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
  5. Check the Google Apps addon.
  6. Check Backup current ROM!
  7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
  8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
  2. Reboot into recovery.
  3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
  4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps. Or download and push the gapps zip for CM7 from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version#Google_Apps to the sdcard and flash it via ClockworkMod recovery.

- Going to another ROM from CM7?

You can go back and forth freely between CM7 and other ROMs via ClockworkMod recovery as the file systems are the same and nandroid backup/restore works to go between ROMs.

Q: What are the known issues?
A: Issues that I can remember:
- Video playback - some formats are not recognized, use an alternative app for video playback
- Camera - some video and still modes don't work
- TVout, MHL
- Dock

Q: Where do I see the Changelogs?
A: http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=galaxys2att - this shows all the changes that have gone into a nightly, including anything that is device specific to Galaxy S2 and anything that has gone into common code that is also included on Galaxy S2. If you see another device sometimes in the Galaxy S2 changelog, it is because the changes were done to common code and the repository is also included on the Galaxy S2.

Q: Can I flash over a previous version of CM7?
A: If updating from an already CM7 running SGSII phone, just flash the latest update zip file as it contains all the fixes from previous updates.

Q: I just installed and I don't see the Marketplace, cannot see GMail, cannot sync Contacts.
Q: I just installed and I don't see any Google Apps.
A: You need to install the Google apps. They are available in ROMManager. ROMManager also asks you if you want to install the Google Apps addon when you install via ROMManager.

Q: Can I run Samsung Applications like Kies, Phone, Email, AllShare?
A: No. Any applications that use special calls into the Samsung TouchWiz framework will not work.

Q: I cannot find my media files that are on my external sd card
A: Look under /mnt/emmc as that is where CM7 mounts the external sd card as opposed to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd that Samsung ROMs use.

Q: My phone is running too hot, my phone is not going into deep sleep
A: Try to isolate which application is using too much CPU. The first thing to try is to remove your media (video, music etc) files. Files recorded using Samsung camera, but other files as well, can frequently cause the stock Media Scanner to fail and go into an infinite loop. Then try to isolate which files are causing problems, and report them to us. If it isn't media, then it is some other application. Try to remove that application if it is a third-party application (and report a bug to them).

Q: I restored from Titanium Backup but my applications are not working
A: Do not restore system data, only restore application+user data. CM7 uses new system data and if you restore on top of it, things will not work.

Q: Your notification toggles are different than mine, how can I change them?
A: Go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Notification power widget, Widget buttons

Q: I really miss the accurate battery mods, can I flash these?
A: No, but you can go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Status bar tweaks, "Battery percentage"

Q: Where can I get themes for this?
A: A quick search for "theme engine" on the market will produce a number of results, but there are some in the general Android Themes section

Q: My Status bar Sound widget does not toggle through the options.
A: Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Interface > Notification Power Widgets > Widget Buttons > Sound Modes and set the modes you want it to toggle through.

Q: Can I use the video player/music player/contacts/phone/launcher from a Samsung ROM?
A: No, anything hooking into Samsung's framework will not work on this ROM, there are plenty of alternatives in the market.

Q: Where can I get the Nexus S drivers?
A: Download and install the Android SDK here then download "Google USB Driver package, revision 4"
Once downloaded, right click on "Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager", "Nexus S", "Update Driver Software", and point it to wherever you installed the SDK

Q: How do I go back to a Samsung stock ROM?
A: Just use ClockworkMod or ROM Manager backup/restore facility to go back and forth between stock (or any other ROM) and CM7.

Q: Can I use ROM Manager to install or back up this ROM?
A: Yes.

Q: Why do I not see the nightlies in ROM Manager?
A: Nightly builds are only visible in the premium version of ROM Manager. Nightly builds should up in ROM Manager when the CyanogenMod buildbot builds the nightly successfully. Every new device needs to also get added to the ROM Manager manifest before it is available. But, the same files are also available at http://download.cyanogenmod.com when the buildbot successfully builds a nightly.

Q: Why can't I play .avi or .mkv files? They worked fine with Samsung's ROM.
A: Due to codec licensing issues, this can't be provided out of the box. Several apps from the marketplace should be able to replicate this feature (such as RockPlayer). We will also try to put these enhancements into CM7 ourselves.

Q: I encountered a bug, how do I find out if it's known and where can I report it?
A: Try to get the logcat output and last_kmsg to your report by:
Code:
desktop$ adb logcat > logcat.txt
desktop$ adb shell
# cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg (only if you had crash/reboot)
# dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
# exit
desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg .
desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/dmesg.txt .

Attach the logcat.txt and last_kmsg files to the bug report. Of course, you need to have the android SDK installed to do this.

Last edited:

insaneturbo13

Aug 4, 2010
LOL seriously...already cm7 is here?? Can't wait to get home and throw this on here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

jivy26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 7, 2010
Google Pixel 7
I flashed before this thread was started so flashed using Odin and kernel codework released for cwm. Used super one click to root Then flash cm7 in cwm like I posted earlier

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: atinm

atinm

Jul 16, 2010
I flashed before this thread was started so flashed using Odin and kernel codework released for cwm. Then flash cm7 in cwm like I posted earlier

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Ok, great - the "harder way" (and only way at the moment!). Thanks!

Drew489

Aug 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Tried MIUI and CM7...

Obvious bugs are the back button not working.

But the major one is I can't hear anyone on a call and they can't hear me. Complete silence...both MIUI and CM7. Kernel issue? Known issue?

melbourne408

Dec 8, 2010
San Jose, CA
My order is in, should be seeing my Galaxy S II very soon, stoked!

I'll be testing just about everything pushed out once its here, I'll be reporting back as much as possible can't wait!

:D

atinm

Jul 16, 2010
Tried MIUI and CM7...

Obvious bugs are the back button not working.

But the major one is I can't hear anyone on a call and they can't hear me. Complete silence...both MIUI and CM7. Kernel issue? Known issue?

I didn't even know there was a MIUI for AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII yet. As far as no sound - we haven't been able to test anything ourselves as we don't have a device to test on yet (maybe in a couple of days). The code itself hasn't changed much, but it is possible you're seeing something valid that we'll have to fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    ** These CyanogenMod builds are highly experimental and unsupported.
    ** Please refrain from submitting bug reports for any issues
    ** you may encounter while running one of these builds.
    ** Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
    ** cause of male impotence.

What is CyanogenMod (in less terse form - by mad-murdock)?
    since i am a bit idle right now, i try to answer this.

cyanogenmod is the only open source rom, that runs on 40+ different devices. we got around 45 devs (people who really write code and tweak things to make it work better - in contrast to cooks, who only use winzip to exchange this vs. that binary thingie) constantly making cyanogenmod better.

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

Installation instructions:

in following post - will move moved to Q&A Forum when that is up.

teamhacksung:
    atin - http://gplus.to/atinm
    codeworkx - http://gplus.to/codeworkx
    coolya - http://gplus.to/coolya
    unhelpful - http://twitter.com/unhelpfulone

Changelog:
    Generic Changelog CMSRC Twitter
    Device specific Changelog by igor.tonky

Modems:
    TBD

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!
    CyanogenMod 7 (w/ Gingerbread 2.3.7) for AT&T Galaxy SII

The only rule of CyanogenMod: you don't ask for ETAs. You install, your warranty is void.

FAQ (Please Read!!)

What is CyanogenMod (by mad-murdock)?
    CyanogenMod is the only open source rom, that runs on 40+ different devices. we got around 45 devs (people who really write code and tweak things to make it work better - in contrast to cooks, who only use winzip to exchange this vs. that binary thingie) constantly making cyanogenmod better.

Q: How do I install this?
    A:
    Latest version:
    Temporarily while buildbot is down:
    You can get it from ROM Manager (look for teamhacksung builds for Galaxy SII AT&T) or
    http://www.multiupload.com/RT29P7AOFS (md5: c8115d0a01d0a47b286ff5c9cc504175)

Previous kang: http://www.multiupload.com/A30J9DZN37 (md5: a23d1b99ff73da31e5d0421ec18e15e3)

Normally: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=nightly&device=galaxys2att

Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Galaxy S2 (or coming from another ROM)?

Note: You may need to flash twice back to back if the first one goes by too quickly - the actual flash takes a little time and sometimes the first flash doesn't "stick".

Install via ClockworkMod recovery (do not use ROMManager for initial install):

1. Make sure you're running a rooted device.
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1118693)
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition) - do it for real.
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery.
    6. Do not reboot! We mean it - do nothing except choose zip and continue next step (if you come back to us with permission issues in install, we will know you did not read the directions and will call you an idiot). If it just plain hangs, reboot directly back into ClockworkMod recovery and continue at the next step.
    7. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery, again (due to a bug in the install).
    8. Reboot
    9. Install the Google Addon through ROMManager which is easiest, but you can
      download the gapps.zip and install via ClockworkMod recovery instead.

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
    1. Install ROMManager Premium.
    2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Samsung AT&T Galaxy S2.
    3. Choose Download ROMs.
    4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    5. Check the Google Apps addon.
    6. Check Backup current ROM!
    7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
    8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps. Or download and push the gapps zip for CM7 from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version#Google_Apps to the sdcard and flash it via ClockworkMod recovery.

- Going to another ROM from CM7?

You can go back and forth freely between CM7 and other ROMs via ClockworkMod recovery as the file systems are the same and nandroid backup/restore works to go between ROMs.

Q: What are the known issues?
    A: Issues that I can remember:
    - Video playback - some formats are not recognized, use an alternative app for video playback
    - Camera - some video and still modes don't work
    - TVout, MHL
    - Dock

Q: Where do I see the Changelogs?
    A: http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=galaxys2att - this shows all the changes that have gone into a nightly, including anything that is device specific to Galaxy S2 and anything that has gone into common code that is also included on Galaxy S2. If you see another device sometimes in the Galaxy S2 changelog, it is because the changes were done to common code and the repository is also included on the Galaxy S2.

Q: Can I flash over a previous version of CM7?
    A: If updating from an already CM7 running SGSII phone, just flash the latest update zip file as it contains all the fixes from previous updates.

Q: I just installed and I don't see the Marketplace, cannot see GMail, cannot sync Contacts.
    Q: I just installed and I don't see any Google Apps.
    A: You need to install the Google apps. They are available in ROMManager. ROMManager also asks you if you want to install the Google Apps addon when you install via ROMManager.

Q: Can I run Samsung Applications like Kies, Phone, Email, AllShare?
    A: No. Any applications that use special calls into the Samsung TouchWiz framework will not work.

Q: I cannot find my media files that are on my external sd card
    A: Look under /mnt/emmc as that is where CM7 mounts the external sd card as opposed to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd that Samsung ROMs use.

Q: My phone is running too hot, my phone is not going into deep sleep
    A: Try to isolate which application is using too much CPU. The first thing to try is to remove your media (video, music etc) files. Files recorded using Samsung camera, but other files as well, can frequently cause the stock Media Scanner to fail and go into an infinite loop. Then try to isolate which files are causing problems, and report them to us. If it isn't media, then it is some other application. Try to remove that application if it is a third-party application (and report a bug to them).

Q: I restored from Titanium Backup but my applications are not working
    A: Do not restore system data, only restore application+user data. CM7 uses new system data and if you restore on top of it, things will not work.

Q: Your notification toggles are different than mine, how can I change them?
    A: Go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Notification power widget, Widget buttons

Q: I really miss the accurate battery mods, can I flash these?
    A: No, but you can go into Settings, CyanogenMod Settings, Interface, Status bar tweaks, "Battery percentage"

Q: Where can I get themes for this?
    A: A quick search for "theme engine" on the market will produce a number of results, but there are some in the general Android Themes section

Q: My Status bar Sound widget does not toggle through the options.
    A: Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Interface > Notification Power Widgets > Widget Buttons > Sound Modes and set the modes you want it to toggle through.

Q: Can I use the video player/music player/contacts/phone/launcher from a Samsung ROM?
    A: No, anything hooking into Samsung's framework will not work on this ROM, there are plenty of alternatives in the market.

Q: Where can I get the Nexus S drivers?
    A: Download and install the Android SDK here then download "Google USB Driver package, revision 4"
    Once downloaded, right click on "Computer", "Manage", "Device Manager", "Nexus S", "Update Driver Software", and point it to wherever you installed the SDK

Q: How do I go back to a Samsung stock ROM?
    A: Just use ClockworkMod or ROM Manager backup/restore facility to go back and forth between stock (or any other ROM) and CM7.

Q: Can I use ROM Manager to install or back up this ROM?
    A: Yes.

Q: Why do I not see the nightlies in ROM Manager?
    A: Nightly builds are only visible in the premium version of ROM Manager. Nightly builds should up in ROM Manager when the CyanogenMod buildbot builds the nightly successfully. Every new device needs to also get added to the ROM Manager manifest before it is available. But, the same files are also available at http://download.cyanogenmod.com when the buildbot successfully builds a nightly.

Q: Why can't I play .avi or .mkv files? They worked fine with Samsung's ROM.
    A: Due to codec licensing issues, this can't be provided out of the box. Several apps from the marketplace should be able to replicate this feature (such as RockPlayer). We will also try to put these enhancements into CM7 ourselves.

Q: I encountered a bug, how do I find out if it's known and where can I report it?
    A: Try to get the logcat output and last_kmsg to your report by:
    Code:
    desktop$ adb logcat > logcat.txt
    desktop$ adb shell
    # cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg (only if you had crash/reboot)
    # dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
    # exit
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/last_kmsg .
    desktop$ adb pull /sdcard/dmesg.txt .

Attach the logcat.txt and last_kmsg files to the bug report. Of course, you need to have the android SDK installed to do this.
    Hi,

FYI - I've just put a new build up (CyanogenMod-7-01202012-NIGHTLY-Galaxys2ATT).

Just to reiterate: I'm doing absolutely nothing other than building the galaxys2att target from the cyanogenmod git tree and putting it online for download. So please don't ask about different kernels or whether certain scripts are included. It's plain / vanilla / untouched cyanogenmod :)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cyanogenmo...yanogenMod-7-01202012-NIGHTLY-Galaxys2ATT.zip

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cyanogenmodbuild.s3.mortimer.me.uk/index.html
    And one more.
    Latest Kang build: (what would have been tomorrow's nightly if buildbot was still working) http://www.multiupload.com/0IUUGBWLRU

It fixes an issue that could very well have been the cause for any extra battery drain - NfcService was turned on about the time when the issues started, but that was actually not done in code but rather on the gapps updates that when combined with our (non functioning) NFC libs was causing the phone to try to start the NfcService, crashing and restarting. A log from someone who was showing this particular strain of battery drain would have shown this instantly . . . but since I don't flash gapps all the time, I didn't see it. Hopefully that is gone now.