[ROM] [20120426]CronosX (Android2.3.7) for XT720 continues...update to RC2.1

Search This thread

MyWereld

Jan 14, 2011
I have read about 2/3 of this thread, so if it has been answered already just point me in the right direction please.

I see that although my phone's default language is English, there are still some places where Chinese (I presume Cronos uses a Chinese rom as base) remains in the system. It pops up here and there.

Is there a way to get this all English?

device-2012-07-23-233716.png

device-2012-07-23-233744.png

xtwister6

Sep 1, 2011
Oakville
thanks, but didn't really help :\

actually i just reflashed the rom and applied the latest cronosx again, and the "problem" stays the same. is the method of OC-ing in this rom changed? the default max value in the oc file is 800, although the max freq of the phone is set on 720.

i'm going back to 2.0 for now :\

***UPDATE***
with 2.0 everything works fine. i don't have the screen brightness lag nor the overclock problem

I went through the same thing as you. I could not for the life of me to get it past 720. I reloaded from sbf and could not overclock.
720 was way too slow so I just went back to the march update and everything is running great again at 1000 with the motomizer overclock.
I almost bought the gnex because the RC2.1 was killing me .. lol

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
I went through the same thing as you. I could not for the life of me to get it past 720. I reloaded from sbf and could not overclock.
720 was way too slow so I just went back to the march update and everything is running great again at 1000 with the motomizer overclock.

Yeah I used my XT720 for a few days and was noticing the screen brightness issue. It only works every other time, it is especially bad when outside in the sun. And I noticed all the Asian language in the ROM. Brianlili didn't include overclock. We have had so many ROM's that were almost perfect but then left incomplete. So close but yet so far. It would be a wonderful thing if we could have these 3 issues fixed.

3rdstring

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Yeah I used my XT720 for a few days and was noticing the screen brightness issue. It only works every other time, it is especially bad when outside in the sun. And I noticed all the Asian language in the ROM. Brianlili didn't include overclock. We have had so many ROM's that were almost perfect but then left incomplete. So close but yet so far. It would be a wonderful thing if we could have these 3 issues fixed.

IIRC in peshovecs' CM7 you had to edit /system/etc/rootfs//init.mapphone_umts.rc to enable OC.

Code:
    insmod /system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko
    insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
IIRC in peshovecs' CM7 you had to edit /system/etc/rootfs//init.mapphone_umts.rc to enable OC.

Code:

Yeah thanks bud. I don't mind the overclock so much, I think the ROM runs great and the battery life is amazing. The main issue I think is the screen brightness doesn't work properly.

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati

Can someone link me to the March update?

fox_die

Oct 20, 2011
HCMC
I agree that this is the best rom I've ever tried in favor of speed. A couple of minor fix and it'll be perfect.

btw, anyone tries supercharger with this rom ? I'm planning to buy a good class 10 card for swapping and using supercharge with cronos X, for more speed, but in my experience before in other roms supercharge will hinder the phone speed that boost it in the long run.

ah, one bad thing happened to me, my Xt720's got damaged, it bleeded ink (some kind of dark liquid from under layer of lcd screen popped out to the surface, behind the glass) The phone still running, but it looks ugly and the ink gets in the way of viewing stuff so I decide to repair. It's not cheap to replace the screen, 40 usd (warranty expired one year before) but I have no other choice. Buying another phone? no I'm satisfied with xt720 and finally CronosX lol, but maybe WP8 phone or BB10 is a good choice in the future.

People said the cause maybe placing heavy objects on the phone (I never do that), dropping it (a couple of times, maybe that's why it happened) or using in heavy moisture (bathroom..)... and when the phone is too hot (wifi or bluetooth tethering can make it very hot). Anyway I'll just be more carefull with these fragile electronic things, you guys too ;)

jakelights

Jul 29, 2010
I have read about 2/3 of this thread, so if it has been answered already just point me in the right direction please.

I see that although my phone's default language is English, there are still some places where Chinese (I presume Cronos uses a Chinese rom as base) remains in the system. It pops up here and there.

Is there a way to get this all English?

device-2012-07-23-233716.png

device-2012-07-23-233744.png

Disable the "Display attribution" under Miscellaneous, on contacts settings.

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
I agree that this is the best rom I've ever tried in favor of speed. A couple of minor fix and it'll be perfect.

btw, anyone tries supercharger with this rom ? I'm planning to buy a good class 10 card for swapping and using supercharge with cronos X, for more speed, but in my experience before in other roms supercharge will hinder the phone speed that boost it in the long run.

ah, one bad thing happened to me, my Xt720's got damaged, it bleeded ink (some kind of dark liquid from under layer of lcd screen popped out to the surface, behind the glass) The phone still running, but it looks ugly and the ink gets in the way of viewing stuff so I decide to repair. It's not cheap to replace the screen, 40 usd (warranty expired one year before) but I have no other choice. Buying another phone? no I'm satisfied with xt720 and finally CronosX lol, but maybe WP8 phone or BB10 is a good choice in the future.

People said the cause maybe placing heavy objects on the phone (I never do that), dropping it (a couple of times, maybe that's why it happened) or using in heavy moisture (bathroom..)... and when the phone is too hot (wifi or bluetooth tethering can make it very hot). Anyway I'll just be more carefull with these fragile electronic things, you guys too ;)

This has happened to me before, I was using a heavy acid cleaner, black streak remover on an RV and it was raining that day. I kinda believe since I used the phone a few times while using the cleaner, without actually coming in contact the heavy acid reacted with the screen and caused the ink like blotches. They slowly went away after a few days but you could barely see a trace of them being there.Whites weren't as white anymore in those areas. I ended up getting an insurance replacement from it, I guess they couldn't prove any liquid damage. Keep phones away from strong chemicals! lol

pilev

Jan 10, 2011
My phone was working fine 2 days, and after that restarts. It is restarting 5 times per day. I don't know why.
It is the same and with FJ ROM.
And NO that is not SDCard problem. I don't have restarts with CM9.
I can not overclock it, Motomizer is not working. The max CPU is 720 and did not change to 800 or 1000. I lost permission of files and can not edin the overclock or any system files

fox_die

Oct 20, 2011
HCMC
^ nearly same as you.

I tried to overclock by editing /system/etc/init.d/10overclock with root explorer, changed to 900 @ 64 but Setcpu only detects 720 mhz ! How to fix that ? (the original 800 mhz is not recognized by setcpu, either)

also anyone using Swapper for root? If so, what is your setting (swappiness and swap size)

Last edited:

bagongs

Mar 17, 2011
also anyone using Swapper for root? If so, what is your setting (swappiness and swap size)

Suggestion: never use Swapper for root or third-party apps for swap. The reason is, if you check your Memory features (for example with SetCPU --> Info --> Memory) if you apply Swapper for root you will still have 0 kB in the fields SwapTotal and SwapFree. This means that what these apps do is not a real swap.

Therefore, more practically, I tested them quite a lot: they increase your RAM at the very beginning (when you just switched on the phone) but after a one or two hours the RAM goes back to the initial value (so, no advantage) and, in addition, the phone drains more battery and gets less smooth (probably also owing to the location of the swap file, the SD card!). You don't want that to happen on this ROM, battery life is one of its strenghts. :)
But this is just my experience.

Still, when I used them I set 32 MB of swap file size and I left swappiness as default.

fox_die

Oct 20, 2011
HCMC
@bagongs: thank for your suggestion :p
if it shows 0 at SwapTotal and SwapFree, it means you need to fastboot to enable swap first http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1210343. Still, the extra performance is really unnoticeable and degrade over time, sometimes my phone gets frozen (black screen, no responding) and I need to pull out the batterry. So, I stop using Swapper for root, seem not compatible with this rom.
I'm using RAM Manager Pro now and I think it's really good, a worthy paid app :) It has Swap option too, but I haven't try yet.

besides, anyone could help me with overclocking ?

vladi-it

Dec 9, 2011
Milano
Ciao

Overclock:
I'm not using it, I've tried it and it wasn't stable and short the time of use; so I have removed; if I remember...

you have to load the appropriate modules in:
/system/etc/rootfs//init.mapphone_umts.rc
add the following:

now you are ready to overclock, if I remember correctly you can change the freq on the fly with: milestone overclock apk

Swap:
If you want swap you have to fastboot; stock kernel don't support swap! fastboot kernel support it!
It is not necessary one apk, if you have a swap partition on your SD it will be loaded and the phone (SD : first partition FAT, second EXT4, third SWAP)

Now i deprecate overclock, but fastboot and swap are awesome and the phone can load all games you want!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there, since J.Y.Daddy doesn't support this device any more, so, I pick up his job, and make this firmware for us, based on Cronosx1.7.0 from jydaddy thread. It is a very smooth and stable rom.

Log:
    2012-4-26 Fix reboot to recovery; All notification can blink the media-led now; More stable(no overclock by default)

2012-3-4 Fix fm radio volume, again:), smart dial, call card phone location, mms application.
    2012-3-1 HD video recorder works now. Upload sensor patch for MotoRoi
    2012-2-29 Fmradio update

Download(RC2.1 version)
    Mirror

MotoRoi sensor patch(apply at last)

Patch area(for beta version, RC1 doesn't need them):
    Download HDrecord update(Fix hd video record)
    Download FMradio update(Optimized Volume-Adjust)

For milestone XT720(Android2.3.7)
    With moto's gallery, camera and videoplayer, HDMI shoud work(need feedback).

Installing instructions:

Install milestone default 2.1 rom(Russian, CBW, Singapore, whatever);
    Root it with androot or superoneclickroot.
    Install last openrecovery build from Mioze7Ae.
    Download update, put it to /sdcard/openrecovery/updates and update it in openrecovery.
    Special for MotoRoi user: apply sensor patch at last.

Credits:
    J.Y.daddy hhcat peshovec Mioze7Ae Fjfalcon LibertyMonger qingquan shihua
    I tried it for a few days and it seems like a great rom.
    There's one thing I don't like about it; the red Motorola animation. It's probably because of how I feel about Motorola and their support for our wonderful phone.
    Maybe a new animation could be created to reflect that Cronos X is loading. Much better than anything Motorola could ever come up with.

Thank you for getting this available to us poor souls. :D

Sent from my XT720 using xda premium

Try this one http://minus.com/m3CC0lIkF#. It's my favorite.

Just put it into SD:\OpenRecovery\theme\froyo\bootanimation
    Then reboot into Open Recovery → Other Utilities → Frpyp 2.2.1 Modding Menu → Menu Install and Restore Theme → Install Theme
    Wipe dalvik-cache and cache before and after applying just in any case.*

Here are some more:
    ICS one http://minus.com/mjsuvENsY#
    ice-cream-sandwich-bootanimation.gif

Gateway http://minus.com/mbaGsHOeFz#
    android-gateway-boot-animation.gif

Clock Hell http://minus.com/mEmVW887I#
    android-clock-hell.gif

Android Reactor http://minus.com/mbiYAawnTA#
    reactor-android-boot-animation.gif

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Make sure the file name is bootanimation.zip
    Yes it s necessary (written at least 10times in the thread...) to flash a fresh sbf to be sure that the old rom don t mess with it
    There is not any "-" in phone numbers in this rom
    and i don t know what you mean by based... It work with all the sbf (i use the mod one) but there is not any link to the "-" you get in your numbers with fjfalcon's rom (this is related to the rom directly i think)

Yeah, it's written in the thread a lot, but that doesn't make it correct.

The *only* reason to *ever* flash sbf is because you can't boot *and* can't get into openrecovery.

I'm so sick of this bull**** myth.
    I tried this for FM radio

Beta - works but no volume control
    Beta+patch - FC
    RC1 - FC
    RC+patch - FC

Try: Settings > Application > Manage Applications > All > FM Radio > Clear Data

When switching between different FMRadio.apk's without factory reset, sometimes FC do happen because the database structures are different (switching between fwals version and stock eclair/froyo versions does this for example).
    Uploading mirror now if it is still needed.

Thanks a bunch for sharing your work Brian much appreciated. I am having mass SDcard issues now though, need to get a new one. Anybody have any recommendations?

Here is a mirror [ROM] [20120227]CronosX Ginger(Android2.3.7) for XT720 continues...beta 1.0