[ROM]DocHoppyRom NEXTBOOK 7 Premium*updated DocHoppyRom Full On Rootv2.0*2/14/2012

Search This thread

Dochoppy

Nov 8, 2009
I was working on a ICS based hoppy rom. Unfortunately I just had a catastrophic screen failure, apparently when my laptop bag fell last night, it landed with enough force to shatter the screen on my nextbook! :( Oh well. it may be a while before I can work on anything to further the version I was working on.

FYI- Due to work, my time is very limited for working on the next version of Hoppy Rom. I apologize in advance. The company I work for is
setting up new engine test cells in China, and my self and 2 other people are main points of support! again Sorry for anything new taking so long!

DOCHOPPY HAS BEEN SIGHTED (Other than on a DAYZ server...Stay tuned.

Ok I have decided to pass along what I have been working on.

Warning***
This is for the Nextbook 7 premium ONLY!
Known working on Nextbook 7 premium tablets with serial numbers starting:YF1011

DocHoppy Presents!
DocHoppyRom Full On Root v2.0

and

DocHoppy Cramfs Style 3.0

Based off the official update image released by nextbook.

Major thanks to FINLESS BOB!!! GREAT HELPFUL GUY!

PRESENTING DOC HOPPY ROM

CRAMFS STYLE 3.0

AND

FULL ON ROOT v2.0

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for Bricked Tablets. This is known to work on tablet with SN starting with YF1011, and some YF1211.

First you will need to decide which version of the Rom you are going to load. The CRAMFS Style version has SU but you CANNOT write to the /system directory. This is a good all around Rom for those who may need SU but do not need to write to /system.

Full On Root is just that, you have full read write to the /system and can customize the Rom to your hreats content.

HOW TO INSTALL:

TO FLASH CRAMFS STYLE 3.0 Put the UPDATE.IMG file from the Cramfstyle Folder onto your SD card, while tablet is on and follow the on screen instructions.

After running the self extracting Zip file you will have a directory containing the following folders and files.

Drivers (folder)
CramfsStyle(folder)
FullonRoot(folder)
Log(folder)
Language(folder)
Readmefirst.txt
Rkusb.log
RkusbComm.dll
Setting.ini
RK29update.exe

TO FLASH CRAMFS STYLE 3.0 Put the UPDATE.IMG file from the Cramfstyle Folder onto your SD card, while tablet is on and follow the on screen instructions.

To flash Full On ROOT, Plug your nextbook into your PC via usb cable. Turn your nextbook over and with a safety pin or something of similar size, press and hold the reset button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Run the RK29update.exe

Select your Rom files via the boxes containing the .... And navigate to the correct directory for the rom you want to install.

Insert eache file in order according to the update tool.

Clear IDB. (this is like a lowlevel format for the Rom tool:

After the Tool says OK. Select Run. This will begin to load the Rom onto your tablet. It will go through loading and then checking the Rom install.

After the Rom loads and the tool comes back with an OK, patiently wait for the tablet to reboot, and load the new ROM. If the tablet is still connected to the pc via USB when the rom boots it will show the screen allowing you to select weather or not to turn on USB storage. Press the home key and you will be given a choice of Golauncher or Rklauncher. (go lock is a screen lock program.)

Enjoy the Rom!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for Bricked Tablets. This is known to work on tablet with SN starting with YF1011, and some YF1211.

Features for both Roms:
Complete and correctly working market. It now correctly associates the tablet to your gmail account allowing purchases from market.
Launcher 3.0 as well as Go launcher ex. Launcher 3.0 was pulled from an rk2918 firmware3.0 update and put into this rom.
Google Calendar is now back and working correctly.
Original Email is back and working correctly.
Included Kindle App
Included Estrongs file explorer.
Both have SU though the Cramfs version cannot write to SW.

Removed Apps Added in last release and return to more of a original rom state.

Rom is pretty clean. And seems speedy.

Cramfs Style 3.0 Rom has 200mb internal Ram +/-

Full On Root 2.0 has 894MB of Free Internal Ram.

Cheers!

DocHoppy

www.freaktab.com

Keep in mind this is the first version of this ROM. There will be updates and changes made.

FUTURE CHANGES:
Custom Theme Changes.
More Tweaks to the system.

Long Term Wants:

Power Menu change to include recovery boot.
Power Menu change to include restart.

This is a work in progress.

Linked here for image.

Non Add Showing Link.
DocHoppyFullOnRoot2.0

New Cramfs style Rom is still Available Here.

DocHoppyCramfsstyle3.0

To install DocHoppyRomv3.0, rename .img file to update.img, download update.img file, copy to SD card, and follow the prompt.

DocHoppyCramfsstyle3.0

Enjoy.

Disclaimer:

Not responsible for bricked tablets.

Enjoy!

Also visit www.freaktab.com

Last edited:

Dochoppy

Nov 8, 2009
I used Wendal's tool to decompress the cramfs file system.

As for the /system, Because the device uses cramfs, and based on everything I have read, using Wendal's tool to decompress the file system, make the changes, and compress is the only way I can see to be able to
customize the rom for the device. The image is rooted, but after the update.img is compressed, the /system file remains read only. I tested this using root explorer, but anything requiring su works fine. But all hope may not be lost, I was reading on a chumby forum someone suggested using mkfs.jffs to make it writable, but further down it notes that you would need to change the kernel (easy enough to recompile I think), to utilize a different file system. The boot loader would also need to be modified, something I am not ready to try and tackle just yet, I think I would be bricking my nextbook pretty quickly.

It is a start and I am actually learning a lot as I go.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Reactions: sgtfoo

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
I am definitely a long time user / cyanogenmod / aosp fan, but as far as ripping open .img files its definitely new territory, I tried to find an internal SD card like the nook has, to maybe dump it, but I cannot find such a beast. Any progress you make is awesome. So do things like root explorer work, just not on /system due to cramfs?

Dochoppy

Nov 8, 2009
Correct, root explorer does work, but due to cramfs, it does not allow you to toggle to rw from ro on the /system.

Working on taking apart apk's and customizing and rebuilding and resigning next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattd2

sgtfoo

Nov 9, 2010
Toronto
just flashed this rom and it works great!

How would I go about doing a custom boot animation or image?
... even if it means flashing a new rom from clean?

dodoclub

Aug 29, 2009
This is great. Thanks. The only question I have is why do I see so few items in Market? Does it have anyhting to do with compatability?

Danno65

Dec 29, 2011
Calendar & Sync Access

First, thank you for your work.
Before I update by Next7P, have you included Google Calendar and Sync access in this update?
I use MyPhoneExplorer and will need calendar sync to work so I can fully use for business.

Thanks.

There is another method to get Google Market on the Next7P, I am a new user so I can not post the link, but google , forums Whirlpool net au archive 1756859
, very easy and works great, but cannot get sync to work.

Dan,

Dochoppy

Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for the responses! :)

sgtfoo : You can use Wendal's rk29xx tool to take a copy of my rom image, or the original update downloadable from nextbookusa.com, and
unpack it. You then have access to the system directory in an editable format. you can go into the system folder /system/media and replace the bootanimation.zip file with another one. Just be sure the image format is 480x 800 and that the zip file has 0% compression ratio. After you make the changes, just repack .img file via Wendal's tool and reflash.

dodoclub : Not sure why. I have a full market. You might try clearing the data and cache for the market. My market shows pretty full, I.E. I got 31050 entries when I searched for facebook in the market.

Danno65: Actually that is something I have been working on. I can get my google calendar to sync, currently I am using a calendar from the market called Jorte, which works great, how ever, googles actual calendar.apk closes unexpectedly, I am thinking it is just a version problem with the calendar, but haven't had a lot of time to follow up on it.

FYI here is the link to Wendal's tool, which makes it much easier to work on the update.img file.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8hUXYDeoy_hNTc1YTVkYTMtNTNjZS00YjI2LTgyNDYtYjRjZjFmODdiZTQ1&pli=1

Cheers!

If you have any request or questions please feel free to ask, I will help anyway I can.

terminander

Dec 30, 2007
Thanks Dochoppy

Got one of these tablets for Christmass to replace an old broken tablet I use for work.

Google hosts our work email, so I still need to get Contacts and Appointments going, but I maybe able to side load them.

Noticed build.prop still has ro.secure=1. This prevents adb from having root access??

Last edited:

Danno65

Dec 29, 2011
Calendar & Sync Access

DocHoppy,

I came across a post where the "Calendar.apk" and "CalendarProvider.apk" files must be in the "system/app" directory to work properly, I tried to copy these files to the above directory but found it to be read/only, will wendalls tool have to be used to get access to the directory?

Also, did you get your google calendars on your desktop to sync with Jorte on the Next7P, I tried but no luck.

Thanks
Dan

The updated image file worked great, thanks again

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
Thank you so much for your work in building a new rom for this thing. I am anxiously awaiting a new filesystem so we can have true root. How do we manage to recompile the kernel for ext4 support and change the /system fs?

markmatters

Jan 15, 2011
Hello, first of all, thanks for your work!

I am having trouble loading this rom. it says there's an invalid image file in my sd card and if I want to delete.

Now, I don't know if my tablet is a never or older version of what you guys have...

Next7p
kernel: 2.6.32.27
build: v2.0.7.....
my serial is also different from alot..it starts with YF0511

any help or tips?

Last edited:

d33dvb

Sep 30, 2007
Google Pixel 4a
Samsung Galaxy S21
Hello, first of all, thanks for your work!

I am having trouble loading this rom. it says there's an invalid image file in my sd card and if I want to delete.

Now, I don't know if my tablet is a never or older version of what you guys have...

Next7p
kernel: 2.6.32.27
build: v2.0.7.....
my serial is also different from alot..it starts with YF0511

any help or tips?

I would say the serial number would have something to do with it, check on the site for nextbook and see if your serial is in the same *batch* as ours, if the original serial is in a different group, im assuming the hardware may be slightly different? If so, you can always use his method to repack the original with root.

xxProphecyxx

Nov 1, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
First off I would like to say that I was very pleased when I came across this thread from another one. I haven't flashed this ROM yet, but plan to. Thank you for your work on this as I have been searching the whole internet since I got this thing [4 weeks now] for some sort of custom ROM. It is hard to use this tablet when I have ICS on my Captivate and Vibrant. GB just isn't as cool.

One thing I hope we can work on is root access, so we then can use Titanium Backup. Then we won't have to manually reload everything when new releases come out.

With all that being said, if there is anything I can do to help, I would love to. Like I said, I plan on flashing this probably tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks again.

Last edited:

sgtfoo

Nov 9, 2010
Toronto
For the record, I got titanium backup working fine on this rooted rom. it is capable. You just need to reboot after it restores a backup.

Apr 10, 2009
i'm new to android. glad to see rooted rom finally, keep it up!!!
i have a clarification, any improvement in the booting time? my device took 1min30sec (power ON to ready to use, for me, 90sec seem like not fast enough).

sgtfoo

Nov 9, 2010
Toronto
Good luck on improving boot time. And besides a tablet is best used when on all the time... try using the suspend state to quickly wake it. We're just starting with the early versions of this rom... give it time to grow.

Sent from my N7p using XDA App

mingolianbeef

Apr 14, 2011
Build.prop editing

Okay so observation:

Our tablet is not recognized as a "tablet" by the Android market, only and android device.

What prop would I have to edit in order to have us recognized as I tablet. I noticed this when:

I finally managed (through some internet tutorial before this rom) get the market working (the first version, not 3.1+). And when I downloaded apps (I'll use Minecraft Pro as an example) I noticed that the way mine looked and the way the tablet version looked via android market photos and Youtube, ours looks like an enlarged phone version rather than a tablet optimized version. What can I edit to fix this?

xxProphecyxx

Nov 1, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Flashed this today... so for it works great. Love the new boot animation. Great work and can not wait for future releases!

Sent from my Nextbook Premium 7 (Doc Hoppy's Rom v02) from the XDA app.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

One thing that would be great on a future release [not sure if it is possible yet with out r/w], would be a bigger data partition for apps. Moving everything large to the SD is ok, just takes longer to boot those apps. A kernel that would allow voltage control app [like CPU Master] to work also. Just a thought!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was working on a ICS based hoppy rom. Unfortunately I just had a catastrophic screen failure, apparently when my laptop bag fell last night, it landed with enough force to shatter the screen on my nextbook! :( Oh well. it may be a while before I can work on anything to further the version I was working on.

FYI- Due to work, my time is very limited for working on the next version of Hoppy Rom. I apologize in advance. The company I work for is
    setting up new engine test cells in China, and my self and 2 other people are main points of support! again Sorry for anything new taking so long!

DOCHOPPY HAS BEEN SIGHTED (Other than on a DAYZ server...Stay tuned.

Ok I have decided to pass along what I have been working on.

Warning***
    This is for the Nextbook 7 premium ONLY!

DocHoppy Presents!
    DocHoppyRom Full On Root v2.0

and

DocHoppy Cramfs Style 3.0

Based off the official update image released by nextbook.

Major thanks to FINLESS BOB!!! GREAT HELPFUL GUY!

PRESENTING DOC HOPPY ROM

CRAMFS STYLE 3.0

AND

FULL ON ROOT v2.0

First you will need to decide which version of the Rom you are going to load. The CRAMFS Style version has SU but you CANNOT write to the /system directory. This is a good all around Rom for those who may need SU but do not need to write to /system.

Full On Root is just that, you have full read write to the /system and can customize the Rom to your hreats content.

HOW TO INSTALL:

After running the self extracting Zip file you will have a directory containing the following folders and files.

Drivers (folder)
    CramfsStyle(folder)
    FullonRoot(folder)
    Log(folder)
    Language(folder)
    Readmefirst.txt
    Rkusb.log
    RkusbComm.dll
    Setting.ini
    RK29update.exe

To flash Full On ROOT, Plug your nextbook into your PC via usb cable. Turn your nextbook over and with a safety pin or something of similar size, press and hold the reset button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Run the RK29update.exe

Select your Rom files via the boxes containing the .... And navigate to the correct directory for the rom you want to install.

Insert eache file in order according to the update tool.

Clear IDB. (this is like a lowlevel format for the Rom tool:

After the Tool says OK. Select Run. This will begin to load the Rom onto your tablet. It will go through loading and then checking the Rom install.

After the Rom loads and the tool comes back with an OK, patiently wait for the tablet to reboot, and load the new ROM. If the tablet is still connected to the pc via USB when the rom boots it will show the screen allowing you to select weather or not to turn on USB storage. Press the home key and you will be given a choice of Golauncher or Rklauncher. (go lock is a screen lock program.)

Enjoy the Rom!

Features for both Roms:
    Complete and correctly working market. It now correctly associates the tablet to your gmail account allowing purchases from market.
    Launcher 3.0 as well as Go launcher ex. Launcher 3.0 was pulled from an rk2918 firmware3.0 update and put into this rom.
    Google Calendar is now back and working correctly.
    Original Email is back and working correctly.
    Included Kindle App
    Included Estrongs file explorer.
    Both have SU though the Cramfs version cannot write to SW.

Removed Apps Added in last release and return to more of a original rom state.

Rom is pretty clean. And seems speedy.

Cramfs Style 3.0 Rom has 200mb internal Ram +/-

Full On Root 2.0 has 894MB of Free Internal Ram.

Cheers!

DocHoppy

www.freaktab.com

Keep in mind this is the first version of this ROM. There will be updates and changes made.

FUTURE CHANGES:
    Custom Theme Changes.
    More Tweaks to the system.

Long Term Wants:

Power Menu change to include recovery boot.
    Power Menu change to include restart.

This is a work in progress.

Linked here for image.

Non Add Showing Link.
    DocHoppyFullOnRoot2.0

New Cramfs style Rom is still Available Here.

DocHoppyCramfsstyle3.0

To install DocHoppyRomv3.0, rename .img file to update.img, download update.img file, copy to SD card, and follow the prompt.

DocHoppyCramfsstyle3.0

Enjoy.

Disclaimer:

Not responsible for bricked tablets.

Enjoy!

Also visit www.freaktab.com
    Ad hoc working!!!!!!!

ARE YOU READY>>>>>>> AD HOC IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so i have been trying ever WPA_Suplicant i could find to get this tablet to see the stinking ad hoc networks. I have have finally found the one that works!

I found it here http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/28689-request-compile-wpa-supplicant-source/

the DL link is here http://www.mediafire.com/?qka95kbc52kn7f0

what i did.

1. dl the new WPA_suplicant file.
    2. get it to the tablet. (i used drop box)
    3. Turn off WIFI
    4. rename it to wpa_supplicant.new
    5. Copy WPA_Supplicant.new to /system/bin (using a root file manager, I used the manager in rom toolbox)
    6. rename WPA_Supplicant (this is the one that is already there) to WPA_Supplicant.old
    7. Rename WPA_Supplicant.new to WPA_Supplicant
    8.start wifi
    9. start Barnacle Wifi tether (this is the one i use but im sure the others work too)

BOOOM WORKING AD HOC on the NEXT P7 !!!!

Please let me know if you cant get the to work and ill try to help the best i can.

HUGE THANKS to wendal, he is the man that compiled the file!!
    Unbrick your nextbook 7

Ok, just bricked my Nextbook 7

Here is how I flashed a firmware without access to recovery:

If you are in a bootloop, Connect USB and Power.

Press and hold pin on back until you hear windows try to detect a device but the screen is off.

Download this: http://arctablet.com/assets/tools/Firmware/Rockchip_CPU_based/Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v1.4.zip

Install the driver from the drivers folder.

3. Installing the drivers on the computer

Following the tablet entering in recovery mode, the computer should now show it has found a new USB device and prompt for a device driver. Select the appropriate driver in the driver directory from the Rockchip Flash Tool 1.4 package.

It will then install the driver for RK29 Device

4. Sending the firmware to the tablet

The flashing tool should display a green square around the number 1 in the lower left area of the Windows application.
    Select the firmware file to flash using the button in the top right area of the application. Select the update.img file from here:

http://www.multiupload.com/NQHSNZJSO2

Then push the Upgrade button to transfer the selected firmware to the tablet.
    The firmware will be copied to the tablet, a progression counter will go from 0% to 100% on this step, followed by a verification.

You are done, let the tablet reboot and update itself. It should take a few minutes for the flash process to finish.

This procedure has been successfully tested on Windows XP 32 bits for flashing a bricked NextBook 7 Premium YF1011 (but should work on others)
    Thanks for the responses! :)

sgtfoo : You can use Wendal's rk29xx tool to take a copy of my rom image, or the original update downloadable from nextbookusa.com, and
    unpack it. You then have access to the system directory in an editable format. you can go into the system folder /system/media and replace the bootanimation.zip file with another one. Just be sure the image format is 480x 800 and that the zip file has 0% compression ratio. After you make the changes, just repack .img file via Wendal's tool and reflash.

dodoclub : Not sure why. I have a full market. You might try clearing the data and cache for the market. My market shows pretty full, I.E. I got 31050 entries when I searched for facebook in the market.

Danno65: Actually that is something I have been working on. I can get my google calendar to sync, currently I am using a calendar from the market called Jorte, which works great, how ever, googles actual calendar.apk closes unexpectedly, I am thinking it is just a version problem with the calendar, but haven't had a lot of time to follow up on it.

FYI here is the link to Wendal's tool, which makes it much easier to work on the update.img file.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8hUXYDeoy_hNTc1YTVkYTMtNTNjZS00YjI2LTgyNDYtYjRjZjFmODdiZTQ1&pli=1

Cheers!

If you have any request or questions please feel free to ask, I will help anyway I can.
    My new full root ROM with Market preinstalled is now available.

Find it on freaktab :)

Can't wait to see Doc's ROM too...

I hope you enjoy,
    Bob