Laptop replacement

Search This thread

uchosen

Jan 22, 2012
Nice

Looks interesting. I'd give it a go for 200 bucks. The iPad version seem to be getting good reviews.

I don't know if I would call it a laptop replacement. The site didn't give enough details to make a decent guess

My guess, it would be what we see with the iDevice versions or something similar to ASUS Transormer Prime/Infinity Pads. What I think you're getting is just a device just brings an Android experience to a larger screen and nicer keyboard to use. I'm almost want to say it's just going to mirror your device display.

If you're familiar with Android and normal OSs for notebooks--Windows, OSX, various Linus distros--then you'll know they're not exactly the same. Android is very capable OS, but it has it's limits compared to other OS choices

That said, it could a good choice for someone, maybe a student, for two hundred dollars. A lot will depend on what you need to use.

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
Looks great to me. I'd be a buyer. Even better, they should make it with a space in the back that you can pop your device in... Just order the right spacers and it should fit snugly.

Swyped from the closest Galaxy.

majorbgss

Nov 4, 2012
Wow, holy ****. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
Did some reading on the Interwebs, and my enthusiasm is dampened. It seems that Clamcase is not a reputable company, and their products are of awful quality with nonexistent support. The idea is a fantastic one, I'd daydreamed of something similar (with a backlit keyboard and a big user replaceable SSD), but these guys are worse than vapor-ware, apparently.

Swyped from the closest Galaxy.

John Kotches

Apr 6, 2009
Collinsville, IL (STL Metro)
disappointing to hear. I forget which company makes it, I think ASUS, where there is a smartphone and tablet combo. The phone actually goes into the tablet. This is similar except it's a laptop and USB cable or cradle.

It definitely could be useful for some.

It is Asus, and it is called the padfone.

It ain't cheap (750 or so if memory serves) and I don't know that is available in the US.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
I use to use something like this for Windows Mobile called a Redfly that was more like a netbook size. This would still make sense to me except my Series 9 Ultrabook is already a better option and as thin and light as i need it to be.

The main thing missing for me in Android/iOS is the multi-window support, but if a product like this would come out and still support multi-window like the Note 2 does, it would be a good solution for not having a super light/thin but expensive ultrabook.

Killer Turtle

Mar 24, 2011
I've got a lapdock and may get the Mhl cable to see if I can get it to work. The lapdock is just use and hdmi.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

unless both devices have MHL built into them, you'll need to get a MHL adapter.

I had no idea if the PadFone is available in the US either. I just remember the device existing and it's what device reminded me of. It's nice idea since most people are getting and using various smartphones. Why not trying to combine with something to be more robusts. I just see, as of right now, being limited because of the Android OS itself and how to apps designed and written. No mobile office suite compares to features and use to a desktop counterpart. Although, given the costs, it can me a nice alternative.

Personally, I would just get an older laptop if to fit the need. Other than maybe a need for bigger screen, I would just use a portable keyboard and stand for the phone and call it good. Not that I would recommend for writing a paper for school. I hold that statement for tablets too.

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
Wonder if it uses the old 5 pin mhl or the new one that the gn2 and gs3 use.

it looks like they'll be making docks for specific phones, so I imagine the note 2's dock will be the correct one. i'm guessing they'd also make a generic interface for non-so-popular phones, perhaps cable-only. In which case you can use the 11-5pin converter that Samsung sells.

i wonder how the keyboard/trackpad works. i'm guessing bluetooth?

it looks like they'll be making docks for specific phones, so I imagine the note 2's dock will be the correct one. i'm guessing they'd also make a generic interface for non-so-popular phones, perhaps cable-only. In which case you can use the 11-5pin converter that Samsung sells.

i wonder how the keyboard/trackpad works. i'm guessing bluetooth?

MHL can do hdmi and usb at the same time.

Top Liked Posts