[Q] Looking for advanced app for mapping and GPS logging

Search This thread

Juhele

Feb 7, 2012
Prague
Hi,
I am looking for an android app able to log GPS data like coordinates, altitude, current speed and would be nice if also the GPS accuracy/number of satellites. Many GPS apps are able to display these data, but not to log them.

Reason is that while doing a monitoring (no matter if helicopter, car or on foot), there is a variable accuracy of the coordinates and so this also influences the measurement results and the output maps. So it would be helpful to know these data to take this into consideration.

I am currently using Oruxmaps, but it logs only date/time, position and elevation and not the other data. Also found Geopaparazzi, however it exports only to KMZ which I currently cannot read - prefer GPX, KML or something simple like CSV which I can later use in some GIS programs like Quantum GIS.

One user on Stackexchange recommended me Sport Tracker (originally developed by Nokia) but it looks like it is not possible to export some usable output without having the phone online and connected to their website. This is problem for me, because I need something able to export the data to phone card directly.

My last chance is currently Antimap Log which I will surely try, but would also appreciate your experiences and recommendations.

thanks

PS: also found app called Aspara, which should be able to log NMEA data directly to SD cards so will check it too.

Juhele

Feb 7, 2012
Prague
thanks,
this is strange. I already explored the KMZ file on my desktop using 7zip and it simply refused to extract the KML file so I though there is something special with the compression etc.

However, just now tried the same on my phone and Total Commander did it without problems. :confused: Unfortunately the KML file from Geopaparazzi contains only coordinates - no other data like speed etc. so it is even less usable for me than Oruxmaps.

OK, will continue my search. :D

Top Liked Posts