[Guide] The 100% Fool Proof Guide: STOCK N1 to ROOT to SENSE UI/CM (Android 2.1)!

Search This thread

fahim_k

Jan 10, 2010
Hi,
Brand new phone and new user. Looking on instructions on how to unlock the phone then install CM etc.

Tried your instructions supposedly written for n00bs like me. Unfortunately I got as far as step 2 (The backup). I installed from the Market that Titanium Backup and tried running it.

Fail. Only works on an unlocked phone.

Dunno if it's already been mentioned but I don't want to read 11 pages just to find that out. I'll move on to other instructions but wanted to let you know that your instructions aren't in fact for n00bs. You're missing the critical steps of how to unlock the phone.

I didnt perform any backups. Since my phone was new, I hadnt really put anything on. The backup part is optional (as the guide says).

douginoz

Jan 18, 2007
Melbourne
You're missing the point. A new user is attracted to this thread because it says:

"100% Complete Idiot's Guide".

A totally new user simply follows the instructions. They fail on step 2. It doesn't matter that it's marked "Optional". It still fails.

Besides, I suspect a great many people are going to think that it's a good idea to do a back and will thus try to do that section, Optional or not.

It's very frustrating.

Since I posted that, over the last hour I have still been hunting in XDA for clear step by step instructions on how to do the simplest things like unlocking; installing the USB drivers; installing a ROM.

There are many, MANY threads that describe these activities. Every single one is missing basic information even when they say "Here's everything you need to do". It isn't.

The fundamental problem is that everyone writes these threads a LONG time after they've done all the initial hacking and learning themselves, and they've forgotten little steps in the meantime. They make dozens of assumptions that the reader will understand what they mean.

I could go on but this is taking literally HOURS and all I've done so far is unlocked the phone. The next steps apparently are to use nandoid backup.

Oh, but of course nobody explains what that is, where to get it, and how to install it. googling it returns this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=459830

which is a complete nightmare to read. It's another perfect example. All I want to do is install this stupid thing, but in the first paragraph it says:

"will enable anyone who has root on their G1 and has the engineering/dev spl bootloader [1] (or has a dev phone) + a recovery image with busybox and adbd running as root [2] to make full system backups"

and then in the next paragraph it says

* Requirements for use
- Android G1 phone in recovery mode with busybox installed, including appropriate symlinks to at least tar and md5sum, as well as 'adb shell' support running as root.

Oh COME ON. WTF IS ALL THAT? So once again when someone's written what tehy think are simple instructions like "Run Nandroide Backup", they omit to tell you that installing it will take another hour or so of researching, learning, and installing. And each of the installation steps for Nandroid Backup will each take an hour as you drill further still into other dependencies and installations.

This is really, really frustrating, if only because so many people have written threads like this one that claim to give step-by-step instructions on how to do something, yet never actually sit down with a new user and a new phon and ask them to follow them.

They don't work. They only work for people that have already been hacking the device for hours, weeks, or months.

fahim_k

Jan 10, 2010
This is really, really frustrating, if only because so many people have written threads like this one that claim to give step-by-step instructions on how to do something, yet never actually sit down with a new user and a new phon and ask them to follow them.

They don't work. They only work for people that have already been hacking the device for hours, weeks, or months.

You are right, maybe he can elaborate on the step about backing up the phone data. I hadn't hacked my phone at all before and have no experience with this type of stuff. I just found this guide and followed it, and it worked out for me. It might not be as easy for others to follow.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
I really would love the N1 based upon the specs, but I really want to see how Sony's XPERIA X10 is especially once Android 2.1 is put on it.

With their customized UI and track history of upgrading their phones?

Be prepared to wait at least 9-12 months sadly.

Since I posted that, over the last hour I have still been hunting in XDA for clear step by step instructions on how to do the simplest things like unlocking; installing the USB drivers; installing a ROM.

There are many, MANY threads that describe these activities. Every single one is missing basic information even when they say "Here's everything you need to do". It isn't.

... Wait...

Did you honestly not read a SINGLE word in Post #1 after you saw "Titanium Backup"?

You're missing the critical steps of how to unlock the phone.

... Did you see steps A through C? :eek:

Last edited:
D

diversificationied

So you're upset because there isn't a "Guide for Retards". If you would have read the description of titanium before you downloaded, you would have seen you need root access to use that program. titanium is not the only back up program.

There is a stickied thread in the Q&A section that has links to unlocking bootloader, upgrading recovery, amongst other things.

You should be on knees slobbing the knobs of the guys that post any kinda of information on these forums instead of lambasting them because their not up to snuff with your "i'm a retard, walk me step by step" standards.

p.s. this forum is names xda-DEVELOPERS, not ijustgotmyphoneandiwannahackitlikeacoolguy.com

btw: paul's guide is one the most well put together and simplified guide I've come across when it comes to presenting rather convoluted things. Thanks paul. =)

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
By the way, I just looked up Titanium Backup on the Market and yeah, it does say it needs root. But it didn't USE to say that before did it?? I totally could have sworn it didn't a few weeks ago, and could be used on any non-rooted Android phone... Either way, I changed the OP to be more clear about backing up.

dinan

Oct 28, 2008
Ok, I'm kind of a newb when it comes to android roms so I had some questions...

I want to flash to CyanogenMod and my phone is completely stock, but I would like to keep all my settings, apps, call logs, messages, etc. in tact for after I flash to the new ROM. If I follow this guide, will it do this?

Also, what is the purpose of upgrading the radio?

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Ok, I'm kind of a newb when it comes to android roms so I had some questions...

I want to flash to CyanogenMod and my phone is completely stock, but I would like to keep all my settings, apps, call logs, messages, etc. in tact for after I flash to the new ROM. If I follow this guide, will it do this?

Also, what is the purpose of upgrading the radio?

You cannot do anything without wiping all data at least once on a stock Nexus One. There are several backup apps in the Market, but nothing will be perfect. No matter what you do, you'll have to spend at least SOME time re-doing some stuff ;)

Radio upgrades could increase signal strength etc, but as far as I know, (correct me if I'm wrong on this) no radio update for the Nexus One has done anything whatsoever that would actually be noticeable by the average person.

jhychin

Jun 11, 2008
!

Thanks Paul for the great guide. I have successfully rooted and upgrade to the Sense Rom following the instructions. I had to modify things a little since I'm on Ubuntu but your guide was very helpful in understanding the order on how to do things.

I have to admit it was my first time I flashed a phone but I thought your instructions were very clear.

As a side note, I'm just wondering for all you Windows and Mac users out there, is fastboot in your Android SDK? I installed the Linux one and didn't see it in the tools, so I had to download the fastboot tool from Modaco.

By the way, I didn't use superboot. Everything worked fine for me from the first step, and I didn't even have to pull battery once!

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks Paul for the great guide. I have successfully rooted and upgrade to the Sense Rom following the instructions. I had to modify things a little since I'm on Ubuntu but your guide was very helpful in understanding the order on how to do things.

I have to admit it was my first time I flashed a phone but I thought your instructions were very clear.

As a side note, I'm just wondering for all you Windows and Mac users out there, is fastboot in your Android SDK? I installed the Linux one and didn't see it in the tools, so I had to download the fastboot tool from Modaco.

By the way, I didn't use superboot. Everything worked fine for me from the first step, and I didn't even have to pull battery once!

That is great to hear! Thanks for the feedback! :cool:

PacoL250

Mar 21, 2010
Paul,

Going back to my questions about Bluetooth, FM Radio, etc. and the reply you made, just to confirm, BT simply does not work with the Sense UI, correct?

How often do updates to the Sense UI come up?

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Paul,

Going back to my questions about Bluetooth, FM Radio, etc. and the reply you made, just to confirm, BT simply does not work with the Sense UI, correct?

How often do updates to the Sense UI come up?

Correct.

As often as three days, or a week or more. Check out these threads for more info:

http://android.modaco.com/content/g...sense-desire-rom-a18-desire-doesnt-have-this/

http://android.modaco.com/content/g...8-mar-desire-port-to-nexus-one-status-update/

temperbad

Jan 13, 2009
portland
im trying to unlock the bootloader but step 4 is not recognizing device. Ive downloaded usb drivers and the sdk shows my device, but when I try and do the cmds it doesnt recognize it... ? any help

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Windows 7, no only fast boot

What do you mean by "no only fast boot"?

Your phone has to be in the bootloader (ie the all white screen) for fastboot to work.

4fb10nexusonebootloader.jpg

[Edit]: HAH! I think I missed a step. Added it now:

When you get into the white screen, FASTBOOT should be highlighted. Press Power Button to select it.

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Added some pictures. That should help quite a bit!

As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Edit] 2/05/2011: Use this new guide instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=11087674#post11087674

[Edit] 1/13/2011: If you are on stock 2.2.1 FRG83D, click here to for SuperOneClick Root !

googlehq.jpg

So I recently decided to take my 100% stock Nexus One to Sense UI and I've documented every single step of the way. I've written this guide for two reasons. First, this entire process is scattered around in dozens of threads, written by equally as many people. Not only that, but most people in these threads assume that you know by heart exactly what adb, fastboot, recovery, and others are all about. Second, to put it bluntly, most people are pretty terrible at writing documentation. Writing down what you did so other people can follow seems extremely difficult for many people. Luckily, this is a skill I am good at. :) So here is a full consolidation of all the information, re-writtern for clarity as I went along step-by-step, from my many hours of attempting to bring my Nexus One from 100% stock to Desire's Sense UI. (Edit: Some people have said they'd run through this guide in 20 minutes!! It might look like a lot, but a lot of steps take a few seconds.)

Disclaimer:
    You agree that by doing this process, I'm not responsible for any bricked devices.
    Unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty.
    This process will erase all of your phone's data.

Please don't copy/paste this elsewhere (to prevent having outdated info); just link back.
    If you need immediate help, these guys might be able to help -> http://webchat.freenode.net -> Channel "modaco".
    And this guide is written as if you are using Windows XP.

*(Yes, the above image of Google's campus is totally unrelated, but totally cool!)

desire1locked.png
    desire2home.png
    desire3helicopter.png

desire6music.png
    desire5notifications.png
    desire4software.png

Note: the notifications tray is personally modified

-------------------------

• Backup [Optional]
      1. On PC: www.gmail.com -> Contacts -> Export, choose Google CSV
      2. On N1: Market -> AppMonster (or any other Backup application you prefer) -> Backup all apps
      3. (If you want/need to backup sms etc, I don't know what non-root app does this)
      4. Remove any authenticators etc

• Downloads
      1. Download nexus-addon-0.1-signed.zip, (From thread: CyanogenMod-5)
      2. Download Desire Sense UI OR CyanogenMod:
        Sense UI: Cyanogen Mod:
      3. Don't download any "radio" updates unless you know what you're doing! (I would highly advise against it!)
      4. Place both zip files (3 for Cyanogen) on N1's sdcard (don't unzip)

• Setup SDK
      1. Download android-sdk_r06-windows.zip
      2. Unzip to C:\ drive so it looks like C:\android-sdk-windows\
      3. Run SDK Setup.exe
      4. Double click everything so it has a red X except for green check mark next to "USB Driver Package"

(Click for larger image)
      5. Install
      6. On N1: Settings -> Application -> Development -> enable USB debugging

enableusbdebugging.png

7. Connect phone to PC, do not mount
      8. New Hardware Found -> Point the install location to C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver\

(Click for larger image)
      9. PC: Start -> Run -> cmd -> press Enter. A black window should appear.
      10. Type: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
      11. Press Enter
      12. Type: adb devices
      13. Press Enter

(Click for larger image)

- It should say something similar to "HT123P123456 device" (this is your phone's serial number).
        - If it says "cannot find" or "invalid path" etc, make sure you're typing *exactly* what the green text above says.
        - If it says something else, try to reinstall the USB Driver package and restart your PC.
        - If it still doesn't work, reply to this thread and say "adb devices does not work. When I type 'adb devices', it says _______________. My PC is running _______________." [Choose one: Windows XP | Windows Vista | Windows 7 | Mac | Linux]
      14. If it works, your PC is correctly recognzing the phone. Continue on to the next step!

• Unlock Bootloader
      1. Turn phone off -> Hold Trackball, then hold Power until white bootloader screen shows up:

(Click for larger image)
      2. FASTBOOT should be highlighted. Press the Power Button to go into Fastboot.
      3. PC: Start -> Run -> cmd -> press Enter. A black window should appear.
      4. Type: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
      5. Type: fastboot devices

- Note: Mac users need "fastboot-mac", available here: http://developer.htc.com/adp.html

(Click for larger image)

- It should say something similar to "HT123P123456 fastboot" (this is your phone's serial number). If it doesn't say this, something is wrong. Make sure you pressed the Power Button to go into FASTBOOT.
        - If you are typing fastboot devices and it just returns a blank line or ???????? (ie Windows 7 64-bit users), try using USB drivers in the PdaNet install: http://www.junefabrics.com/android/download.php
        - If that doesn't work, try not pressing the Power button to enter Fastboot. A few people have had it work that way. (Or may have been holding the Power button for too long.)
        - If you can't get this step to work, reply to this thread and say "When my phone is in the bootloader and I type 'fastboot devices', it says __________ instead."
      6. Type: fastboot oem unlock
      7. Read what the screen says. (Decision time!) (All data will be wiped here)

(Click for larger image)
      8. Your phone should reboot with a picture of an open padlock under the Google logo. If so, everything is good so far!

(Click for larger image)

• Flash Recovery - (Update 09/01/2010: this may not work on SLCD Nexus Ones. Need an SLCD-supported recovery and then a ROM with SLCD support)
      1. Turn phone off -> Hold Trackball, then hold Power until white bootloader screen shows up
      2. FASTBOOT should be highlighted. Press the Power Button to go into Fastboot.
      3. PC: Download latest .img file - Amon_RA's Recovery Image
      4. Place img file into C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\
      5. PC: Start -> Run -> cmd -> press Enter. A black window should appear.
      6. Type: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
      7. Type: fastboot devices

It should say something similar to "HT123P123456 fastboot" (this is your phone's serial number). If it doesn't say this, something is wrong. Make sure you pressed the Power Button to go into FASTBOOT. If you can't get this step to work, reply to this thread and say "I'm trying to flash the recovery image. I unlocked my bootloader but fastboot devices doesn't work anymore. When I type 'fastboot devices', it says __________ instead."
      8. Type: fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.img (Note: the underlined part may be different depending on what you downloaded.) (Tip: On Windows XP, you can press tab to auto-complete the filename.)
      9. It should say: sending 'recovery' (3962 KB)... OKAY . . . . . writing 'recovery'... OKAY This should take a few seconds.

(Click for larger image)

If it doesn't work, try using Superboot (ignore this unless you're having issues flashing the Recovery):
        • Modaco's Superboot -> "Before download, check your device 'about' screen to determine whether you need a superboot for 'ERD79' (the original shipping ROM, 'ERE27' (the official update) or ERE36B (the new leaked update)."
        • Turn phone off -> Hold Trackball, then hold Power until white bootloader screen shows up
        • Don't touch anything
        • Open superboot file on PC
        • Try to Flash Amon_RA's Recovery again
        • If it still doesn't work, reply to this thread and say "When I tried to flash the recovery file, it said ________________ instead."
      10. If flashing the recovery was successful, use the menu options to boot directly into recovery, or turn the phone off and continue on with next step!

• Root
      1. Turn phone off -> Hold Volume Down, hold Power button
      2. Press Volume Down to highlight Recovery -> press Power to select Recovery. Your screen should look like this:

(Click for larger image)
      3. Do this step only if you didn't use Superboot: Use trackball -> "Flash zip from from sdcard" -> nexus-addon-0.1-signed.zip

- If you get a Triangle with a ! in the middle alongside an Android for 5+ minutes, you MAY have to remove battery and re-flash recovery (I had to do this once.) (Make absolutely sure that nothing is happening on your phone, as removing the battery when it's doing something can cause a brick.)
        - Alternatively, try the optional Superboot method, and then re-flash Amon_RA's recovery image.
      4. Select Reboot.

• Install ROM (Sense UI, Cyanogen, etc)
      1. Turn phone off -> Hold Volume Down, hold Power button
      2. Press Volume Down to highlight Recovery -> press Power to select Recovery
      3. Backup/Restore -> Nand backup
      4. Wipe -> Wipe data/factory reset
      5. Wipe -> Dalvik Cache
      6. Flash zip from sdcard -> alpha-r##-update-modacocustomrom-nexusone-desire-withadditions-signed.zip (Or whatever other ROM you're using.)
        - If you get an error such as "E:\Can't open /sdcard/[blah].zip (bad)", the file is probably corrupt. (Modaco has had some issues with this recently; I don't know why.)
        - If you want to make sure, use http://portableapps.com/node/19346 and drag the zip file onto it to verify the MD5 sum. For r21 with MoDaCo Additions, the MD5 should be: e5eb15ea971b220ffdfcac8f56037013
        md5i.png

7. If you're using Cyanogen, flash the Google Addon.
      8. Reboot

- If a picture of an Android falling out of a box shows up, something went wrong. Just wait for it to reboot into recovery. (Good you made a backup! Just in case.)
        - Go back into recovery, Wipe all data again, Wipe Dalvik/cache again, and reflash the Sense ROM.
        - If it still doesn't work, reply to this thread and say "I keep getting the Android falling out of the box when flashing the Sense ROM, even after repeated wiping."
      9. If successful, a white HTC splash screen appears. It should take about 2-3 minutes to load into Sense.

10. If it gets past that, congratulations! You made it!
      11. Post in this thread that it worked! And if you're feeling generous, feel free to send me a beer! :)
      12. And finally, enjoy and have fun! :) :D

n1versusdesire.png
        -->
        nexusdesire.png

--------------------------------------------------

• Install a Different ROM
      1. If you want to install a new version of a ROM, switch to a different ROM like Cyanogen, etc, only repeat the "Install ROM" section. The only difference is you'll be downloading / flashing a different zip file of course.
      2. Make sure you backup (and wipe!) first before flashing any new roms!
      3. To go back to the original Android ROM, either Restore your backup, or download the zip file from the following thread and repeat the Install ROM section: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=614850

• Known Issues:
      1. Bluetooth is known to be buggy / will most likely not work. (Can't be fixed until HTC releases the Desire source code.)
      2. USB mount notification does not appear - use 'USB Mount' application from menu.
      3. To set live wallpapers, go into Settings -> Personalize.

--------------------------------------------------

What's the status on Bluetooth?

http://android.modaco.com/content/g...8-mar-desire-port-to-nexus-one-status-update/

A status update!

I now have the release candidate of the Desire ROM! :)

The new ROM, which is MUCH newer than the build I have been using to date is faster and smoother, the Camera app is better synchronised with the flash, the Live Wallpapers selector is in the right place, the base is ERE27 rather than ERD79 and there are numerous little fixes all over the place! Of course, it will take a bit of time for me to do a full quality port over for the next MCR, but i've done a quick hack to flash it on and see what works.

That's the good news - the bad news is BlueTooth, Camera, USB connect popup and FM Radio still don't work correctly out of the box. BUT - I have discovered why.

Basically, it all comes down to the kernel.

I have confirmed that all of the above (i'm not 100% sure on BT, i'm still investigating that one) use specific features in the Desire kernel that aren't available in the generic kernel. HTC enhancements if you will. The Desire ships with a .29 kernel which, based on what i've seen in the apps and the setup of the config file, is pretty heavily customised. Unfortunately the Desire kernel doesn't boot on the Nexus One, so we're in a bit of a sticky situation until the Desire kernel source gets released, and it's unclear when that will be (HTC's track record in that regard isn't fantastic)!

All is not lost however, as I have started looking at a new approach to fixing the problems, as seen in the camera fix for Alpha 16. I'm basically hunting down the kernel specific hooks and - where possible - i'm rerouting those to an alternate location that I can control. Taking the camera app as an example, the libcamera.so file was checking kernel specific points before deciding whether the flash should fire or not. It was doing things like checking for a phone call, checking for a wimax connection (!), and when these checks didn't work properly, it was preventing the flash firing. By editing this library and rerouting those locations, I was able to make the flash fire - much better than just dropping in the 'wrong' library which was the previous solution. Similarly, the camera application itself was dropping back to 3 Megapixels by default because it was looking for a 'sensor resolution' file produced by the kernel, which didn't exist. By determining this as the cause and reverse engineering the Camera application, I was able to make 5 Megapixels the fallback resolution instead. Problem solved.

Hopefully a similar approach can be used for the other problems (FM radio, USB connection and Bluetooth) and we'll get everything 100% - believe me i'm working on it.

If we CAN get this working fully, the work i'm doing here - if I can get it 100% - will also enable Desire users to have newer kernels and custom kernels with all the goodness that brings, without being dependent on a HTC Kernel source release.

There's lots to do - starting with the RC port to use as a base - but it's been a fun ride and it's gonna get funner. Thanks for all your support! :D

P

Update:
    Hi, I know I am late to the party here but I am trying to download the Sense UI on the N1 and I am looking for some help:

Now its been a while since OP put up his guide so I am using a couple of different things, first I flashed with recovery-RA-nexus-v2.0.0.img since I couldn't find 1.7, and I believe I have a SLCD screen which v2.0.0 supports.

So I move onto "Do this step only if you didn't use Superboot: Use trackball -> "Flash zip from from sdcard" -> nexus-addon-0.1-signed.zip"
    Now this is where I run into a problem, I get the error message "corrupt file: boot.img"

Again I know I am late to this but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Possibly the file was corrupt during the download. Try re-downloading. Otherwise, maybe there is a newer version

It looks like your SDK didn't setup fully, as there are a few missing files, one of which of course is "adb".

Try re-setting up the SDK or re-downloading until adb is there.

Or maybe "adb" got put somewhere else on your PC; try doing a windows search for it.
    ok just downloaded the same SDK again.in the set up there is no USB drive,so i left all checks on and now installing it again.

I just re-downloaded it. Yeah, it looks like they renamed a lot of the files.