[Tutorial] How to root your Tizen Samsung Gear & remove camera shutter sounds

Search This thread

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
How to root your Samsung Gear with Tizen

Before I start, I would like to credit Jijonhyuni for the root method, TML1504 for the camera silencing method and fibs for extracting the SDB utility from the Tizen SDK. I couldn't find an easy guide to rooting the Gear with Tizen so I thought I'd be helpful and provide a 'how to' post.

As with all rooting guides on XDA, I take no responsibility for you damaging your device. So read first and follow with precaution.

Steps for root

1. Make sure you're using a Gear 1 (v700) not 2.
2. Ensure that you are running the Tizen operating system. If not, you can update officially via Samsung kies.
3. Download this image file.
4. Download this sdb command prompt or download the SDK and just choose to install the appropriate SDB library from the installer.
5. Download Odin
6. Put the gear into bootloader mode. To do this, turn off the device. Then turn on and keep the power button held in until it says "Gear Rebooting...". Once it says this keep pressing the power button until the bootloader menu is displayed. At this point, press the power button once to highlight "Download" then press and hold the power button one last time to select it. This should enter downloading mode, where it warns to not turn off the target.
7. Put the gear into the charging device and plug into your PC. If you've not done this before, wait for the driver to automatically install before proceeding to step 8.
8. Extract then open up Odin and don't change any of the settings. All your need to do is to select 'AP' and choose the first file you downloaed 'v700_rootfs.img.tar'. Click start and wait for Odin to flash (should take around 30 seconds).
9. Let it reboot (I think it will restart 2 times and you've successfully rooted!!!

Steps for removing camera sounds

1. Turn on 'USB debugging' on the Gear by going into Settings|Gear Info|USB Debugging.
2. Plug your gear into your PC if it isn't already from the rooting procedure.
3. Extract the sbd.exe and put it somewhere easy to access (ie the root of a drive). I've put mine in the root of my C: drive. hence why the first line of the commands below starts with 'C:' If you put it somewhere else, make sure you point the command prompt to the relative directory.
4. Click the start button in Windows and type 'cmd'. Right click on 'Command Prompt' and open as administrator.
5. Type each line, one at a time and press return. If it shows no errors, then the command should have worked successfully. Work your way through each one.

C:
sdb root on
sdb shell mount -o remount,rw /
sdb shell mv /usr/share/sounds/mm-camcorder/ /usr/share/sounds/mm-camcorder_bak/
sdb shell mv /usr/apps/com.samsung.w-camera-app/res/sounds /usr/apps/com.samsung.w-camera-app/res/sounds_bak

6. Unplug the Gear and turn off USB debugging in Settings|Gear Info|USB Debugging, then reboot the device.
7. Take a photo/video. No sound! :D

And finally, let me know if it works!

Last edited:

lazer9

Oct 17, 2007
Hermitage, PA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Thanks! But this:

4. Download this sdb command prompt (from the Tizen SDK).

Leads to an unavailable DL page.

Invalid or Deleted File.

The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.

Still have questions, or think we've made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

Last edited:

Persuader X

Apr 21, 2009
Ferrol
There is a focus sound apart of the shutter sound in Tizen camera like in Android? If so, the method to silent the camera here described removes it?

Thank you very much.

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
It's all good. I googled the SDK and the friggin thing is still installing - I think it's actually hung up , lol 1.6GBs...

But anyhoo, I went into the directory and copied the SDB.exe over to c:/ drive, followed your instructions and BINGO, no more shutter sound! :D

Hahaha!! Amazing, glad it worked. The camera is one of my favourite parts of the watch, but it's so lame with a massively loud sound.

There is a focus sound apart of the shutter sound in Tizen camera like in Android? If so, the method to silent the camera here described removes it?

Thank you very much.

Yes, there is a focus AND a shutter sound. Yes the method described removes ALL camera sounds.

Persuader X

Apr 21, 2009
Ferrol
Hahaha!! Amazing, glad it worked. The camera is one of my favourite parts of the watch, but it's so lame with a massively loud sound.

Yes, there is a focus AND a shutter sound. Yes the method described removes ALL camera sounds.

Thank you very much. That's the only thing I was waiting to be solved to update to Tizen.

eshake

Apr 2, 2012
problem !!

HI guys !!
i'm trying to put the shutter off but in the command prompt that says error msg: target not found do you have an idea to solve this ??

guyHalestorm

Jun 12, 2014
Thank you so much for this quick and easy tutorial! I feel better that with it rooted it'll be less likely that we'll be caught by a firmware update that doesn't allow us to downgrade to Android should an Android Wear port come out in the future. :D

iUseThings

May 13, 2014
i did it kind of . . . t.t

arrggghhh i thought i found a fix but didnt so now i need help t.t

it says device cannot be found trying to slient my camera on GG1 tizen i installed the drivers and all rooted i think? idk how to check although it says it rooted successfully on odin and when i use sdb via cmd it says it cant find the device i tried sdb devices also :<

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root your Samsung Gear with Tizen

Before I start, I would like to credit Jijonhyuni for the root method, TML1504 for the camera silencing method and fibs for extracting the SDB utility from the Tizen SDK. I couldn't find an easy guide to rooting the Gear with Tizen so I thought I'd be helpful and provide a 'how to' post.

As with all rooting guides on XDA, I take no responsibility for you damaging your device. So read first and follow with precaution.

Steps for root

1. Make sure you're using a Gear 1 (v700) not 2.
    2. Ensure that you are running the Tizen operating system. If not, you can update officially via Samsung kies.
    3. Download this image file.
    4. Download this sdb command prompt or download the SDK and just choose to install the appropriate SDB library from the installer.
    5. Download Odin
    6. Put the gear into bootloader mode. To do this, turn off the device. Then turn on and keep the power button held in until it says "Gear Rebooting...". Once it says this keep pressing the power button until the bootloader menu is displayed. At this point, press the power button once to highlight "Download" then press and hold the power button one last time to select it. This should enter downloading mode, where it warns to not turn off the target.
    7. Put the gear into the charging device and plug into your PC. If you've not done this before, wait for the driver to automatically install before proceeding to step 8.
    8. Extract then open up Odin and don't change any of the settings. All your need to do is to select 'AP' and choose the first file you downloaed 'v700_rootfs.img.tar'. Click start and wait for Odin to flash (should take around 30 seconds).
    9. Let it reboot (I think it will restart 2 times and you've successfully rooted!!!

Steps for removing camera sounds

1. Turn on 'USB debugging' on the Gear by going into Settings|Gear Info|USB Debugging.
    2. Plug your gear into your PC if it isn't already from the rooting procedure.
    3. Extract the sbd.exe and put it somewhere easy to access (ie the root of a drive). I've put mine in the root of my C: drive. hence why the first line of the commands below starts with 'C:' If you put it somewhere else, make sure you point the command prompt to the relative directory.
    4. Click the start button in Windows and type 'cmd'. Right click on 'Command Prompt' and open as administrator.
    5. Type each line, one at a time and press return. If it shows no errors, then the command should have worked successfully. Work your way through each one.

C:
    sdb root on
    sdb shell mount -o remount,rw /
    sdb shell mv /usr/share/sounds/mm-camcorder/ /usr/share/sounds/mm-camcorder_bak/
    sdb shell mv /usr/apps/com.samsung.w-camera-app/res/sounds /usr/apps/com.samsung.w-camera-app/res/sounds_bak

6. Unplug the Gear and turn off USB debugging in Settings|Gear Info|USB Debugging, then reboot the device.
    7. Take a photo/video. No sound! :D

And finally, let me know if it works!
    My pleasure. I only did it because there's so much of the "Odin|Flash|Done!" tutorials these days and it really doesn't help beginners. Just doing my bit :)

Thanks for the tutorial. Nicely done!
    It's simple enough just to download sdb and the appropriate libs correctly from the tizen download tool.

Unselect everything and just tick SDK development tools ; 1.6M download.
    It's simple enough just to download sdb and the appropriate libs correctly from the tizen download tool.

Unselect everything and just tick SDK development tools ; 1.6M download.

Nice one....I'll add it to the first post.
    HI guys !!
    i'm trying to put the shutter off but in the command prompt that says error msg: target not found do you have an idea to solve this ??
    I faced the same problem and solved by installing the drivers from here http://down2.local.sec.samsung.com/...load/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.zip