BigPart Repartition Upgrade and Resource Center

Search This thread

brewer75

Feb 15, 2013
Pickerington
Nexus 7
Motorola Xoom
Hi all,

I wonder if I could please get a bit of guidance.

I've got a wifi only XOOM. I've successfully unlocked the bootloader and I'm ready to take the next steps which I understand is to root the tablet and then perform the BIGPART partition.

I'm following the recommended guide as per this thread. I'd post the link I'm using but I'm not allowed to post links just yet.

Ok, so, here are a number of questions.

1) The instructions indicate that I should root with ClockworkMod Recovery. Is this really a requirement or may/should I root with TWRP? Does it matter?

2) If it's okay to use TWRP, can someone tell me where I can download the appropriate version? Thanks to matt4321, I have downloaded TWRPv2.8.6.0-Wingray-BigPart.zip which I apparently use later in the process. However, it appears I need a "non-bigpart" version of TWRP as well? If so, I am unable to find a matching version number of the "non-bigpart" TWRPv2.8.6.0. Regardless of what I use for root, it appears I need a matching set of TWRP zip files. Am I correct?

Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Dave

I used TWRP when I did the bigpart on my Xoom a few years ago. Here is the non bigpart TWRPv2.8.0.0 which is also available on the Matt4321 post... https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001604345. Just make sure you follow all the instruction steps carefully.

Last edited:

vronp

Feb 13, 2005
I used TWRP when I did the bigpart on my Xoom a few years ago. Here is the non bigpart TWRPv2.8.6.0 which is also available on the Matt4321 post.... Just make sure you follow all the instruction steps carefully.

Hi,

That file is actually v2.8.0.0, at least according to the file name.

Does the version number between BIGPART and non-BIGPART have to match?

F-302

Sep 7, 2012
Odessa
Please, give a link to the Stingray-BigPart TWRP, but not to DevHost, because i can't download files from this... site.

xoom...

Mar 6, 2014
Bigpart TWRP link no longer works

Where can I get the TWRP BigPart image? The Dev-Host link does not seem to work.

Mecroob

Apr 2, 2017
Can't flash TWRP bigpart (edit:solved)

Hey guys, I have problems flashing the TWRP bigpart. Flashing the standard TWRP (2.6.3) was working perfectly via the bootloader. But when I open the recovery and want to install the bigpart upgrade (R_A_H_TWRPv2_6_3_BigPart_selinux) there is an error. I also tried flashing the bigpart.zip via adb sideload but then I can open the recovery but I can't mount anything. I also tried diffrent versions of the bigpart TWRP like 2.7.0.0 or 2.8.6.0 and also tried flashing the bigpart.img via the bootloader, but either it fails or I can't mount anything. Do you have any suggestions or know what I am doing wrong?

I have a Motorola Wingray MZ604 and want to flash the OMNI 4.4.4 ROM.

Edit:
I managed to solve the problem. I do not know why the update to the BigPart wasn't working but in the end the problem, that I could not mount anything, was solved by formating data and wiping cache and system in the recovery, as explained in step 6.) of the guide. Sorry for that, I was confused because it was not exactly working as in the step by step tutorial. Hope this still helps someone who encounters the same problem I did.

Last edited:

just_magikkal

Nov 18, 2016
For the love of safety, why on earth did the person who posted the links have to use that site? I couldn't get a real file from it; all I got was a freaking suspicious exe that I ran in a sandbox and got nothing from.

Anyone have all the stuff for stingray that they can put on google drive or something a lot less sketchy? I certainly couldn't get it....

Kazz5

May 10, 2017
So is there a way to bring a Xoom into 2017 with an image that continues to support Google Play??

fmfrijoles

Apr 3, 2018
Anyone have a reliable link for a big part boot.img for CM 10.1 for stingray??

I have everything else Big Part except for the big part boot.img required for CM 10.1

I have not seen any CM 11 reliable download links so would appreciate those too.

I just brought my MZ602 back from the grave and have gotten it back to stock IMM76L (JZ054M firmware I have found makes it bootloop).

da-pharoah

Mar 24, 2009
Seacoast near Joppa
Anyone have a reliable link for a big part boot.img for CM 10.1 for stingray??

I have everything else Big Part except for the big part boot.img required for CM 10.1

I have not seen any CM 11 reliable download links so would appreciate those too.

I just brought my MZ602 back from the grave and have gotten it back to stock IMM76L (JZ054M firmware I have found makes it bootloop).
This is a dumb question, but are you meaning a kernel that has the boot.img or the cwm big part recovery img?

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA-Developers Legacy app

drdd

Feb 7, 2019
Is there a chance to get the bigpart files for the mz601 (3G) = everest version?
thx in advance

Diagon

Nov 20, 2014
Could someone clarify which of these two versions of BigPart R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3.zip is the right one?

R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3_BigPart_selinux.zip is in the OP here:
[SHARE][WINGRAY][CM11][EOS] Missing Downloads Here
It is at this link and has MD5: f7b03dec4fd2341be646f75d758e81b2

In the OP of this Bigpart titled thread it's just called R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3.zip:
[RECOVERY] TWRP 2.7.1.0 touch recovery [2014-7-4] BigPart F2FS support
It is at this link and has MD5: 6ce071bd701372394d6516df15e7e199

Since the OP of this thread, we now have newer BigPart TWRP's. Will either of these work?
BigPart version of 2.8.6.0: [RECOVERY][TWRP 2.8.6.0-BigPart/TWRP 2.8.0.0-Non-BigPart]
BigPart version of 3.0.1: My list of compiled Roms for Motorola Xoom (In this link.)

Edit: I was able to make this work by using the files linked from here:
[SHARE][WINGRAY][CM11][EOS] Missing Downloads Here

R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3.zip - this is Run And Hide's non-BigPart recovery.
R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3_BigPart_selinux.zip - this is his BigPart recovery.

Using these two I was able to get the BigPart procedure to work. I'll now go back and put in one of the more recent recoveries.

Last edited:

voxhel

Nov 23, 2007
Hi,

I have a mz601 (everest) already rooted with tiamat 4.1.

Can someone please advise if I have option to go with big part? And what roms can I use to upgrade?

Thks!

V

Last edited:

DMcCunney

May 22, 2014
Coming in late to this thread...

I was just given a Xoom LTE originally intended to be used with Verizon cellular service.

It came to me with Android 4.4.4 and CM11 installed. It boots and runs fine, but Play Store and Drive are borked. As expected, Play store wanted to download and install an upgrade to Google Play Servicfes, and I did. That cure was wore than the disease, and I had a machine where Play Services died and restrted every 5 seconds or so. I rolled back to original factory verion to preserve my sanity.

This thread seems to indicate the new firmware offered has patched ersions of Gapps that address the issue I have. If so, wonderful. My question is whether I have to wipe the machine and reinstaoll from scatch, or whether just installing the Gapps package would fix my problem.

If I have to wipe and redo from scratch, I can, but would just as soon not.
_______
Dennis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.

You should know that time ago Motorola decided to stop updating our Xoom, but we showed (and we are still showing) them that our tablet is still alive and kicking.

Let me update this with the last news (a big win, indeed) from @bigrushdog:

IMPORTANT: It should be harmless for your Xoom, but you need to do it at your own risk. Nobody will give you any kind of warranty and we will be not guilty if your Xoom bricks, dies, loses the data, gets cursed, your cow starts to give bitter milk or if it unchains a thermonuclear war.

Credits

Much love, credit, and respect go out to @Schischu and @rchtk! Your insight on the kernel patch paved the way! The Motorola Xoom cheats death once again!

Repartition Guide

1) Your data will be totally wiped! If you have Nandroids, TitaniumBackups, or anything of any value on your internal storage, copy them to your microsd or computer! They will be gone forever! Your microsd card is the only safe haven on your Xoom during this process.

2) Put all needed resources on your microsd card! You will need the original TWRP 2.6.3.0 touch recovery from @runandhide05, TWRP 2.6.3.0 BigPart version, your desired rom, and the BigPart boot image that goes with your desired rom. The BigPart boot images can be found in the next section.

3) Reboot into recovery. Flash TWRP BigPart. Don't reboot just yet.

4) Go back into wipe menu and wipe everything but /sdcard.

5) Go to reboot menu and reboot into recovery. Disregard the "No OS" warning and don't install SuperSU when asked.

6) When you come back into recovery, it will think your data is encrypted but it's not. Go into wipe menu and "format data". Type "yes" when prompted. When done, go back into wipe menu. Select "Advanced Wipe". Check "system" and "cache" and wipe them.

7) Hit Home then go to reboot menu and reboot recovery. Once again, disregard "No OS" warning and don't install SuperSU when asked

8) When you come back into recovery, go into mount menu. You should see "cache" and "data" checked. "System" will be unchecked. Check it to confirm it mounts, then uncheck it. Congratulations! You are now repartitioned!

9) Go into install. Recovery should show your microsd storage by default. If not, using the navigation panel, navigate to root then go into "sdcard". Flash your rom, BigPart boot image package, and any other resources as you normally would.

10) Reboot into system. You are done!

Later.... How to restore to stock partitions.

TWRP 2.6.3.0 R.A.H BigPart Edition Recovery

TWRP 2.6.3.0 BigPart

BigPart Eos 4 boot images with the usual modules

WARNING: You must have already executed the repartition before using these boot images. If not, follow the guide above! These will soft brick your device otherwise!

Eos 4 BigPart Wingray Boot Image

Eos 4 BigPart Stingray / Stingray_CDMA Boot Image

Eos 4 BigPart Everest Boot Image

CM10.1 BigPart Kernel by @matt4321

http://d-h.st/IzQ

For CM10.1, follow instructions in the OP but when getting to the flashing of ROMs, flash CM10.1, then flash thi

BigPart @dreamcwli MyWingray 4.3 (or in theory any 4.3) boot image with the usual modules

Note: This is a new kernel rebased on @dreamcwli 's tree. No overclock or gpu overclock yet, but soon ;D

WARNING: You must have already executed the repartition before using these boot images. If not, follow the guide above! These will soft brick your device otherwise!

MyWingray 4.3 BigPart wingray Boot Image

Q&A

Q: OK to understand this right, now we have a new recovery and boot. Which ROM do we use? The same as before? And BigPart @dreamcwli MyWingray 4.3 is only for wingray?

A: Yes, we have new recovery and boot. For this recovery and boot you need to use the new BigPart roms. If you are not using BigPart roms, you will need to install old recovery and boot and format everything again. And yes, it seems like @dreamcwli MyWingray 4.3 is only for wingray at the moment, but brd published a version of the last EOS4 stable with the new kernel working for BigPart.

Q: Does this new space mean we can start using full blown GApps Instead of the scaled down versions we had been previously?
    (I understand there may be NEON ramifications causing a NO Answer here)

A: You can use the GApps that you prefer. Now we have space enough, but scaled down versions might be slightly faster as it uses less resources (I guess).

Q: Seems like a good time to ask and reveal my limited understanding of why user space is formatted vfat. I'm a linux fan who dislikes being limited to 4096 Mb when creating a linux.img. A yes or no answer will suffice. As long as the devs are pushing the limits, can the user space (sdcard) be formatted ext2, 3 or 4?

A: I think that that is something to implement in the kernel. I think that it is easy to do and our bakers eventually will implement it.

Q: Can cm10.2 be flashed instead of an eos4 rom after the repartition?

A: You need to replace BOOT.img in the CM zip with the BigPart compatible with your Xoom, and if the kernel is compatible with CM it will work.

Q: I'm on stingray_cdma.....unless i can flash a wingray rom and boot.img after the repart?

A: No idea, but it's safer to use roms build for your device. Take a look to the previous question.

Q: im on stingray and i tried using cm10.1 as my rom and it didnt get to the bootanimation so i tried eos 3 and it works well. couldnt get eos 4 to download from goo.im

A: brd published some EOS4 working with BigPart (see http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47005701&postcount=1 )

Q: I am asking again to understand this right, now we have a new recovery and boot.
    Which ROM do we use? The same as before? Do we have to change the boot IMG in the ROM with the big part one?
    And BigPart @dreamcwli MyWingray 4.3 is only for wingray or it can be used with everest as well? And what is its difference with the other big part in the kernel?

A: Use only BigPart roms. You will need to change the boot.img from the rom if the rom is not compatible with BigParts, but if the rom is not compatible with the new kernel, it is useless... MyWingray is compatible with Everest but you will not have 3G, I guess... But I'm not sure.

Q: That's great. @bigrushdog @realjumy Is there a way to get the radios for everest and stingray on a separate zip?

A: The rom must be cooked with the radios...

Q: I wanna ask you because i have my xoom forma two years, and laste time i format it and give me error with dev block mmblck or something else and i think that i could have my internal storage corrupt.. If i install your 4.3 image modded, and then the repartition, Will it works fine?? Thanks and sorry me

A: No idea.

Q: Followed the instructions for the re-partitioning. Everything worked except the Xoom cannot see the external sd card in recovery. I have re-formated it as fat32 and tried another card. When I view the files in the PC they are there. Any ideas?

A: Something something went wrong... Copy the data from the SD to your PC, format SD and put back data. Let's see if that works...

Q: How can we identify which ROMs are for the new partition layout? Just assume everything 4.3 and later? It would be nice if we added [BigPart] to the thread title to make them more easily identifiable.

A: Only roms with BigPart in their name can be used with the new layout.

Q: I was under the impression that we could use old roms provided we replaced the boot.img in the zip with the NEW BIGPART boot.img for our unit? (Only after repartitioning has been completed) Is that wrong and we need to wait for a particular build?

A: Not all the roms are compatibles with the boot.img method (kernel method). You will need to try to be sure. EOS4 and Dream's have proper versions. If you want to use, for example, CM you will need to:

option 1.- Build it yourself patching the kernel

option 2.- Use CM and try to use a different kernel

option 3.- Ask to the CM maintainer to release BigPartition versions.

There is a lot of 4.2.2 projects running, some 4.3 and if we are successful, MAYBE we will be able to port 4.4 to our devices. One of the main problems (but not the only one) is the internal storage structure of the tablet. It seems that is not too hard to solve, as in other devices (mainly Samsung) is common to change it.

The aim of this project is to compare how the internal partitions are setted up in order to change them and have more room for system and apps. This will improve all the ROMS (4.1, 4.2.*, 4.4). @bigrushdog is doing a big effort to change it but we need more data from all models to compare and be sure that we don't break anything.

It will take up to 3 hours (depends on the model) but is something that can work while you are sleeping or not using the tablet. With the data provided by you, we can compare and choose the best changes.

IMPORTANT: It should be harmless for your Xoom, but you need to do it at your own risk. Nobody will give you any kind of warranty and we will be not guilty if your Xoom bricks, dies, loses the data, gets cursed, makes your cow begin to give bitter milk or if it unchains a thermonuclear war.

IMPORTANT: It should be harmless for your PC, but you need to do it at your own risk. Nobody will give you any kind of warranty and we will be not guilty if your PC bricks, dies, gets cursed, loses the data, makes your cow begin to give bitter milk or if it unchains a thermonuclear war.

What are you going to do:
    You are going to do a 1:1 copy of your internal storage into your PC. Then, we will detect the partitions and where begins and ends each one. Nothing else. We will compare the different versions and in the future a tool will be released to make the changes.

What you will need:

• Linux (maybe you can use a Live DVD / USB?). It should be a way to do this process under Windows. If you know how to do it, please, share the info.
    • 33GB of disk space in your computer, anywhere.
    • Android SDK working (that means that if you plug your tablet turned on and run
      Code:
      ./adb devices
      in the folder "platform-tools" of your SDK will provide a serial number): http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    • 3 hours (can be done while sleeping, not using the tablet, etc) if you have a 32GB Xoom.
    • Rooted Xoom.

Before you begin:

• DO A NANDROID BACKUP!!!!!
    • READ EVERYTHING AND ASK IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING

Step by step:

1. Full charge your tablet (or keep it connected to AC?) and turn it on WITHOUT SDCARD.
    2. If your Android SDK is not installed or working properly, fix it now: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    3. Install the dependencies. For Ubuntu / LinuxMint / Debian:
      Code:
      apt-get install testdisk netcat pv extundelete testdisk
    4. Activate USB Debug on your device (in order to connect with adb). You can find it under Settings > Developer options.
      Note: On Android 4.2 and newer, Developer options is hidden by default. To make it available, go to Settings > About phone and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options.
    5. Plug your tablet (it must be on) and run
      Code:
      ./adb devices
      in the folder "platform-tools" of your SDK. If you don't get as a result a serial number, STOP. Something is wrong with your SDK. Please, fix it to continue.
    6. Open a terminal on your computer, go to the Android SDK directory's subdirectory sdk/platform-tools (where adb is located).
    7. We will setup a forward port to be able to download the data to our PC:
      Code:
      ./adb forward tcp:5555 tcp:5555
    8. Now we will connect to the tablet
      Code:
      ./adb shell
    9. Maybe you need to grant permission to do it. Take a look to your tablet's screen.
    10. We become superuser:
      Code:
      su
      Grant permanent permissions when asked. You can revoke the permissions later if you want.
    11. With this we will transfer the data to the port that we set previously:
      Code:
      /system/xbin/busybox nc -l -p 5555 -e /system/xbin/busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0
    12. DON'T CLOSE THAT TERMINAL. An now OPEN A NEW ONE IN THE PC.
    13. Go again to the folder "platform-tools" of your SDK and let's collect the data:
      Code:
      ./adb forward tcp:5555 tcp:5555
      Code:
      nc 127.0.0.1 5555 | pv -i 0.5 > mmcblk0.raw
      If you want to save the file in a different place/partition, change what is after ">". For example, if I want to save the file in my home folder, I will write /home/jumy/mmcblk0.raw. If you are not sure or don't know how to do it, don't change it.
    14. You will to wait up to 3 hours until it finish.
    15. When the transfer is finished, run this in the folder where the dump is located (if you changed nothing, it is located in the older "platform-tools" of your SDK):
      Code:
      testdisk mmcblk0.raw
    16. First restore the GPT partition table. Select mmcblk0.raw in the TestDisk interface and choose Proceed.
    17. Choose EFI GPT.
    18. Then select Analyse.
    19. Choose Quick Search.
    20. The search will return a table that you should copy and paste in this thread.
    21. Now you can exit and remove the dumped file (mmcblk0.raw).

Please, when you provide the data, tell us which model, storage size, ROM name and version and indicate if it is the Hong Kong model.

Info collected from http://www.df.lth.se/~jokke/androidfilerecovery/ --> Visit it if you want some screenshots.
    The jb-devel-mr2-release branch is updated for 4.3 bigpart. I'm gonna drop images for all the eos builds and dreams build. I'll also push the old eos branch as well. Next step is getting a cohesive package together.

Credits

Much love, credit, and respect go out to @Schischu and @rchtk! Your insight on the kernel patch paved the way! The Motorola Xoom cheats death once again!

Repartition Guide

1) Your data will be totally wiped! If you have Nandroids, TitaniumBackups, or anything of any value on your internal storage, copy them to your microsd or computer! They will be gone forever! Your microsd card is the only safe haven on your Xoom during this process.

2) Put all needed resources on your microsd card! You will need the original TWRP 2.6.3.0 touch recovery from @runandhide05, TWRP 2.6.3.0 BigPart version, your desired rom, and the BigPart boot image that goes with your desired rom. The BigPart boot images can be found in the next section.

3) Reboot into recovery. Flash TWRP BigPart. Don't reboot just yet.

4) Go back into wipe menu and wipe everything but /sdcard.

5) Go to reboot menu and reboot into recovery. Disregard the "No OS" warning and don't install SuperSU when asked.

6) When you come back into recovery, it will think your data is encrypted but it's not. Go into wipe menu and "format data". Type "yes" when prompted. When done, go back into wipe menu. Select "Advanced Wipe". Check "system" and "cache" and wipe them.

7) Hit Home then go to reboot menu and reboot recovery. Once again, disregard "No OS" warning and don't install SuperSU when asked

8) When you come back into recovery, go into mount menu. You should see "cache" and "data" checked. "System" will be unchecked. Check it to confirm it mounts, then uncheck it. Congratulations! You are now repartitioned!

9) Go into install. Recovery should show your microsd storage by default. If not, using the navigation panel, navigate to root then go into "sdcard". Flash your rom, BigPart boot image package, and any other resources as you normally would.

10) Reboot into system. You are done!

Later.... How to restore to stock partitions.

TWRP 2.6.3.0 R.A.H BigPart Edition Recovery

TWRP 2.6.3.0 BigPart

BigPart Eos 4 boot images with the usual modules

Eos 4 BigPart Wingray Boot Image

Eos 4 BigPart Stingray / Stingray_CDMA Boot Image

Eos 4 BigPart Everest Boot Image

BigPart @dreamcwli MyWingray 4.3 (or in theory any 4.3) boot image with the usual modules

Note: This is a new kernel rebased on @dreamcwli 's tree. No overclock or gpu overclock yet, but soon ;D

MyWingray 4.3 BigPart wingray Boot Image
    Recovery with bigPart
    http://duckbox.info/files/xoom/R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3_bigPart.img.zip
    Android 4.1.2 with bigPart
    http://duckbox.info/files/xoom/wingray_bigPart.zip

Flash R.A.H._TWRPv2.6.3_bigPart.img through fastboot.
    Flash wingray_bigPart.zip through recovery, dont reboot.
    Wipe Dalvik Cache Cache Data.
    Reboot System.

After System startet, check adb shell -> df to confirm new partition layout.

Please note: I only build this for wingray (NOT HK). This is a very very basic android, aosp without any modifications beside the kernel. (See patch above)

And just to be clear again. YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON YOUR XOOM BY CHANGING THE PARTITON FORMAT. SO BACKUP BEFORE.

And again. ONLY WINGRAY.

Now the 4.3 and 4.4 images can come. ;)
    Just wanted to give an update on the status of affairs. 4.3 is done, finished, and cfx 4.3 will never run on Xoom. The reasons are complex. Just trust me on that. As I write, synergy is building our 4.4 master branch manifest. We ate taking a different approach to some things this time. There is no reason to believe I can't have a build soon after the project basics are proper. I do know this. Devices newer than xoom are having some graphics issues. Our kernel is a dinosaur. All that being the case, I'll be curious to see how things go. There will come a point where it will be time to retire the xoom. And that time is soon now. When or if I make thataassessment, I will return my loaner xoom to its owner and encourage people to upgrade. Just the scoop...