[Q] How to install Google eBooks (Google Play Books)

Search This thread

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Fantastic work! Would you be willing to post what APK you have working at the moment? I'l be sure to donate, my Nook Simple Touch has been sitting in a drawer for months because I couldn't read anything.

I spoke too soon. I'm starting to see some crashes, even with the Google books. Still some bugs to exterminate :mad:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Got everything working for Google Books version 1.3.4.
You can try Google for it, but I've uploaded it to some mirrors:
http://uploadmirrors.com/download/1PFQQUDQ/com.google.android.apps.books-134.apk

Whoa...what happened to the 1.45 version post? Anyway, it does not work on my NST. It once displayed a GBook but that was a fluke. When I tried to view an uploaded book I got the spinning circle and when I went back to the GBook, another spinning circle. I didn't check the logcat but I'm pretty sure it's the same WebView error as for 1.5x. For some reason one of the screen dimensions returns as "0" and that sets up the error cascade, except in "original page" mode, for those books that have it.

I was sure I had tried 1.45 (I've tried them all.......) before. If you had it working on NSTG, it would be interesting if anyone else could get it to work on an NSTG. It's possible (though unlikely) that the WebKit was updated in the NSTG Android.

I'm not going to try 1.34. I know I've done that one and it does not sync.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
A working version!!!!!

XDA member @cjpicci has come up with a version of Google Books (1.2.2) that both displays and syncs properly! I've tried it with (free) Google books as well as one book I uploaded. No more spinning circles and you keep your place from device to device :).

It's a pretty basic version, with options for text size, font, spacing and justification. The search function for the bookstore works but you cannot add books to your account using it (not even free ones). Still, if you just want to be able to access your Google Books collection on your NST/G, this is finally it! Check out his post (with app attached) and don't forget to click on :good: there!

Reactions: dpikros

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
It works for me also, settings are a little bit basic and I can't search or download anything, but syncs with my library so you can do it on PC . Nice!:)

Because the reader runs in full screen mode there is no access to a menu button on the NST. This, however, is how you access the reader settings (fonts, spacing, etc.). The only way around this is to use NTMM to assign "menu" to one of the hardware buttons (at least temporarily, or maybe permanently as a "long press"). Then when you are in the reader you can access the various options.

Reactions: dpikros

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any luck OP?

EDIT:

Tried this one: http://www.iapktop.com/google-play-books-2-4-3.html since it said compatible with 2.1, but I had no luck.

Then I tried this one: http://www.iapktop.com/google-books-1-4-5.html and it looks to be working! I saw my library in the window and I have it downloading one of my books now for reading to test.

EDIT2: AAaaaaand... works. Perfectly I might add. The only thing that doesn't work is the side buttons don't switch pages. I think because they are bound to PAGE_NEXT or something. Changing them to Right and Left arrow should do it.

EDIT3: Yep. A quick change to the keylayout lets me page with the right hand buttons. It does break the ability to page in the stock reading app though with those buttons. For now I'm leaving it with paging in Google books with right side buttons and paging in Nook with left side buttons. I'll probably go all in later.

What I did was edit /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl and switch RIGHT_NEXTPAGE to DPAD_RIGHT and then switched RIGHT_PREVPAGE to DPAD_LEFT.

Hopefully that makes sense. If not I can probably make it easier for you by pulling the file itself, but I figure I'd try to "teach a man to fish." ;)
    Version 1.0.16

Thank you so much for posting this!
    I installed the1-4-5 apk without incident and all my books synced beautifully, including where I left off in them. I was pretty sure I was home free at this point but I've found that the actual content of the books never loads. I get the spinning loading icon off into infinity.

This is the way for all my books. Looks for all the world like it should work fine but just never loads the actual content.

I've tried a system reboot, scanning around between pages, fussing with text size/line spacing and same outcome.

I tried the 2-4-3 apk and got a parsing error when i tried to open the package.

This is so close I can taste it. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you

Update:
    I found that if I toggled on "Original pages" in the book options the content would load. After I did that once I could switch back to "flowing text" and adjust as needed.

Update 2:
    I still intermittently have issues with book content loading. Probably once per day the loading icon displays indefinitely. The flowing text/original pages workaround I listed before was likely a flook, I haven't been able to find a way to reliably get around this problem. It's terribly annoying.

Update 3:
    I tried using the refresh option on the library view prior to loading my book this time and it popped up immediately afterward. I'll continue to experiment with this to see if it works consistently.
    Update 4:
    That's unreliable as well. There doesn't seem to be any good way to prompt my book to actually load the content of the book. Super annoying.

Here is an older version that I found somewhere on the web. It is version 1.0.16...I installed it and it seems to work excellently so far. The bug where version 1.5.4 often never loads the book doesn't seem to be present. :cyclops:
    Is there really no way for this to work? I have a ton of sideloaded books (Humble Bundles and other indie ebooks) that won't show up in the 2.1. Kindle-app. I had hoped that Google Books might solve the problem. Or has anyone heard of another compatible ebook-Reader with cross-device-syncing that might work on the Nook simple touch?

I use aldiko and aldiko sync. See this thread for links: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51054047
    Hey guys I really need some help. I have google books working on my nook simple touch. I can't get my physical buttons to work though. Can anybody please help me? I would greatly appreciate it!

You could try the change I mentioned:

What I did was edit /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl and switch RIGHT_NEXTPAGE to DPAD_RIGHT and then switched RIGHT_PREVPAGE to DPAD_LEFT.

Easiest way would be if you have adb working, do
    Code:
    adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl
    then modify the file as indicated above. Then you can do
    Code:
    adb push TWL4030_Keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl
    . That should make the change. It also may help it work in more than just Google Play Books. They work for me in Play Books and Kindle.
    A working version!!!!!

XDA member @cjpicci has come up with a version of Google Books (1.2.2) that both displays and syncs properly! I've tried it with (free) Google books as well as one book I uploaded. No more spinning circles and you keep your place from device to device :).

It's a pretty basic version, with options for text size, font, spacing and justification. The search function for the bookstore works but you cannot add books to your account using it (not even free ones). Still, if you just want to be able to access your Google Books collection on your NST/G, this is finally it! Check out his post (with app attached) and don't forget to click on :good: there!