Help Me Fix An Embarassing Mistake (Without Losing Data) :o

Search This thread

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
Phone-Screen.jpg

Sorry if the pic is too big.
I have a rooted LG Tribute LGLS675516100eb running Android 5.1.1. A few days ago I was looking through some settings in Andromizer and turned the DPI setting all the way up just to see what it would do(confusing DPI for resolution:eek:), but it said I had to reboot for the change to take effect. I didn't want to reboot at the moment so I cancelled**. But when I rebooted to wipe the Dalvik cache a few minutes later(what I installed Andromizer for), the DPI setting took effect and now I can't get past the lock screen because the button you push after you put in the password is off the side of the screen.:laugh::eek:

I don't understand what these have to do with the DPI setting but: Also, nothing happens when you push the emargency call button so I can't use that glitch to bypass the lock screen:(. And when I call the phone, the Call app crashes.:confused:

I want to fix it without losing data.
I tried ADB but it says "LGLS675516100eb unauthorized" with the devices command. I thought I had USB Debugging on, but apparently I don't?
I tried Dr. Fone but It gets stuck at 99% for 10 minutes then it says "Install Model Failed", while on the phone, the firmware update(that's not actually a firmware update for this operation I assume) is stuck at 0%.
I think Tenorshare 4uKey and iMyFone would work but I won't go past the screen that says all data on the phone is about to be erased.

I'm not gonna have to send my phone to that company in Isreal that can unlock iPhones am I?:p:laugh:

**If I remember correctly, I selected OK when I changed the setting and then :eek:the reboot notification happened when I left the page. So apparently cancelling the reboot only did so for the moment but not completely.:mad:

DavidxxxD

@Heat84

You might have to consider getting a otg adapter but I dont know for sure if this will work, some Android versions block new usb devices on lockscreen.

If you have a custom recovery, backup /system and try manually editing the /system/build.prop file from a terminal might be able to set dpi, look for this line and change it back to default:
Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=***

Also try reflashing the system partition without wiping data if possible, this will only remove system modifications.

Good luck in resolving this matter.

Last edited:

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
@Heat84

You might have to consider getting a otg adapter but I dont know for sure if this will work, some Android versions block new usb devices on lockscreen.

If you have a custom recovery, backup /system and try manually editing the /system/build.prop file from a terminal might be able to set dpi, look for this line and change it back to default:
Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=***

Also try reflashing the system partition without wiping data if possible, this will only remove system modifications.

Good luck in resolving this matter.
Don't I need debugging mode enabled on the phone to do that?
Can I do something with ADB Sideload?

I have a copy of the stock ROM on the SD card. Is reinstalling that the same as a factory reset? Will it wipe the internal storage partition or just the root partition?

Last edited:

DavidxxxD

@Heat84
As far as I know twrp enables usb debugging with root access by itself on many devices, if it doesnt you can also use the terminal function under advanced

Sideload doesnt seem to work properly on my device so I cant really test that one.

Reflashing the rom might erase data, depends on what is included with the stock rom. Unpacking and only flashing the system.img should leave your data intact.

D

Deleted member 1890170

I tried ADB but it says "LGLS675516100eb unauthorized" with the devices command. I thought I had USB Debugging on, but apparently I don't?
This error has nothing to do with your root status, or whether or not the bootloader is unlocked. This is a glitch that makes ADB think it isn’t authorized to make changes to the connected device. Normally, after enabling USB debugging, when you connect your device a prompt appears on your phone asking to authorize debugging
ADB-RSA.jpg

but this authorization obviously failed to register with ADB. Hence the error.

What you can try is running the following commands - one by one - at Windows command prompt
Code:
del /f /q "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb*.*"
adb kill-server
adb devices
what stops the ADB server, refreshes the RSA-keys and starts ADB

If that works then you via ADB can reset Android's DPI and other settings

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
Since I couldn't do any of the suggestions because debugging mode wasn't enabled in my phone(I tried anyway) and I couldn't us an OTG mouse because my phone doesn't support it (it says so in the specs and I tried anyway), I did a factory reset(I just wanted to be done with it and most of the important stuff is on the SD card anyway), and it only made things worse.

First the DPI wasn't fixed:laugh::crying:(this is actually the least of my worries now since it'll be easy to fix, if and when my phone is back to normal). Then the wizard you do after the factory reset was stuck in a loop. Sometimes it wouldn't get past the page where you put your name for the profile(you would click next then nothing happens and LG Keyboard crashes when you try to type something). When it got past that, it would go back to the beginning when you clicked Next on the page with all the Google check boxes. All during this I was bombarded with "Unfortunately <app name here> has stopped" messages (Mostly Google Hangouts). I finally got out of the loop by removing the sim card and booting up again(or it was just a coincidence). When I'm finally back in Android, I still get bombarded with the "Unfortunately <app name here> has stopped" messages. And now just about every app crashes when I try to open it. I can open the Settings app, but when I try to go to the Apps page (to kill Google Hangouts)or the About Phone page(to activate Developer Options) the settings app crashes. When I tried to do the "Activate Your Device" app(just to see what would happen) it opens but it fails. On the Self Service page it says "Information -20".

So what now? Did I invent a new category of brick? Soft hard hard brick?:laugh::crying: Does my phone have Corona Virus?:silly: I'm sure it has something to do with all the root stuff I've done. If I can't enable debugging mode there's nothing I can do right? ADB WIFI maybe? I can browse the internet(Google Chrome opens) but I can't type anything.

What would happen if I took it to a repair shop(besides them laughing at me)? Do they know much more than how to replace a screen and a USB port?
Maybe I should send it to that company in Isreal that can unlock IPhones?:silly:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1890170

@Heat84
I did a factory reset(I just wanted to be done with it and most of the important stuff is on the SD card anyway), and it only made things worse.
A Factory Reset doesn't affect Android's system files - what got corrupted, but only user-data stored thereon

If I'm right then your phone has slot for external SD-card. If so & if you can access device's Recovery then you can try this method to get ADB working.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Since I couldn't do any of the suggestions because debugging mode wasn't enabled in my phone(I tried anyway) and I couldn't us an OTG mouse because my phone doesn't support it (it says so in the specs and I tried anyway), I did a factory reset(I just wanted to be done with it and most of the important stuff is on the SD card anyway), and it only made things worse.

First the DPI wasn't fixed:laugh::crying:(this is actually the least of my worries now since it'll be easy to fix, if and when my phone is back to normal). Then the wizard you do after the factory reset was stuck in a loop. Sometimes it wouldn't get past the page where you put your name for the profile(you would click next then nothing happens and LG Keyboard crashes when you try to type something). When it got past that, it would go back to the beginning when you clicked Next on the page with all the Google check boxes. All during this I was bombarded with "Unfortunately <app name here> has stopped" messages (Mostly Google Hangouts). I finally got out of the loop by removing the sim card and booting up again(or it was just a coincidence). When I'm finally back in Android, I still get bombarded with the "Unfortunately <app name here> has stopped" messages. And now just about every app crashes when I try to open it. I can open the Settings app, but when I try to go to the Apps page (to kill Google Hangouts)or the About Phone page(to activate Developer Options) the settings app crashes. When I tried to do the "Activate Your Device" app(just to see what would happen) it opens but it fails. On the Self Service page it says "Information -20".

So what now? Did I invent a new category of brick? Soft hard hard brick?:laugh::crying: Does my phone have Corona Virus?:silly: I'm sure it has something to do with all the root stuff I've done. If I can't enable debugging mode there's nothing I can do right? ADB WIFI maybe? I can browse the internet(Google Chrome opens) but I can't type anything.

What would happen if I took it to a repair shop(besides them laughing at me)? Do they know much more than how to replace a screen and a USB port?
Maybe I should send it to that company in Isreal that can unlock IPhones?:silly:

here you go this should do it > https://lgtribute.com/lg-tribute-5-ls675-firmware-download-unbrick-tutorial/

Heat84

Jun 28, 2020
@Heat84

A Factory Reset doesn't affect Android's system files - what got corrupted, but only user-data stored thereon

If I'm right then your phone has slot for external SD-card. If so & if you can access device's Recovery then you can try this method to get ADB working.
I tried that but I got: Footer is "Wrong, Signature Verification Failed" when I tried to install the zip file. Thanks Anyway

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Thanks. That did it.:victory:

Whats the difference between a factory reset and flashing the ROM? If I had just flashed the ROM, would the internal storage partition not have been wiped?
Great !

Your phone has many partitions, and a factory reset only wipes your Data partition.

In this case the settings you changed were stored somewhere else, maybe in the vendor or system partition.

Re-flashing the entire rom reset all the partitions
And overwrote any changes you had made.

Be careful using apps that require Root permission

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk