General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

shazzy1

Nov 2, 2012
Re: **DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Am actually looking for a Phone pls!!!?!

I SAW A GHOST OMG!!!!!

knightrazor

Nov 3, 2012

What is the best tablet for doing presentations?

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com

I SAW A GHOST OMG!!!!!

Getting a 1GB RAM is a tight requirement amongst low end phones.
Still the lowest priced phones with it are Micromax Canvas HD, Motorola Atrix 2, Karbonn S1 Titanium.
Rest all will be around the INR 20000 mark.

What's the best tablet for $150 ?

A $149 Nexus 7 + $1 coffee :p

What is the best tablet for doing presentations?

Most probably a 10' tablet, if you intend to directly showcase it on your Tablet.
So Nexus 10 should be a good fit.

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore

I SAW A GHOST OMG!!!!!

canvas 2: 1ghz dual core but 512mb ram (u can get for INR 10,500)
canvas hd: 1.2ghz quad core and 1 gb ram (INR 14,000)

can also try intel xolo
1.6 ghz single core with hyper-threading(which means a single physical core has two virtual cores inside it...more performance than single core but less than dual-cores), 1 gb ram and 8mp camera..
my friend has the phone..it's very smooth and service support is good too!!:good:
Price: 15,000

dachurchpcguy

Jan 26, 2013

I SAW A GHOST OMG!!!!!

I paid around $138 for my HTC Amaze on ebay. Dual core 1.5Ghz. 1GB RAM, nice phone, my daughter's now that I have a Nexus 4.

My son's phone is just shy of your requirements, he has an HTC 4G slide. Dual core 1.2Ghz, 768MB RAM. He needed the keyboard for games. He busted the screen on his original so we got a replacement on ebay for $114.05. The description said "lower condition", it had one minor scratch on the screen.

I shop on ebay for buy it now sorted by lowest price, four of my last five phones were purchased that way. I found the Nexus 4 on CL.

Reactions: shazzy1

MissBizz

Feb 20, 2013

I have never owned a tablet yet but am looking into getting one. I am just starting to get into rooting and custom ROMs and will probably bring that over to my tablet. I own a gnex for a phone that I plan on keeping for awhile.

I'm looking for a tablet to use on the go, but still want a 10". Something to play games, browse the internet when on roadtrips, movies, a bit of everything. Also something to use for internet at home when I'm too lazy to turn the laptop on. I'm leaning towards the nexus 10 just due to what I'm guessing will be great dev support. But is there a tablet out (or coming) that blows the nexus away and is worth straying from the nexus family?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

dachurchpcguy

Jan 26, 2013
Nexus 4!

I've been holding off getting a new replacement for my trusty old desire which is running jb 4.2.2 ...but I've gone and got myself a nexus 4 cause "there's no tomorrow" it was a hard choice but I wasn't going to spend 7-8 hundred dollars for the competition when the nexus costs 450 in oz just couldn't ....

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

I've had mine for about a week and I love it. The only issue is the 16GB storage. You need to be careful with which apps you choose. I run Navigon instead of TomTom because TomTom loads the complete USA map while Navigon allows you to pick and choose your maps.

It's incredibly fast and with two gigs of RAM I never run out even with 4-5 apps running simultaneously.

Reactions: sqidsey

Dakkus

So, I've got something of an unorthodox way of looking into this.

Primarily I'd need a phone that has the possibility to install a good calendar that can show the next important appointments on the home screen. Meego got murdered, Windows phone is something I want to stay away from and Symbian's quite out of question as well. And, I'd prefer Google being blind to my life.
Seems an Android device with Cyanogen Mod and some calendar with SyncML support is the best available option (or the least bad, if you want to put it that way :þ ). Now, having never had a smartphone, I might indeed be a bit of a newb. Got enough generic computer skills on various platforms for finding out how to precisely root the device and getting through the job alive. Also, I can leave my Ubuntu desktop running 24/7, if constant server access is required. But, which device to buy?

So this is what I'd need:
* Screen around the "normal size" – that is, something around the size of an iPhone. Maybe a tad bit larger or smaller, but Galaxy note is definitely too large and Galaxy Mini definitely too small.
* Enough processor power for the UI to work without any sluggishness
* Easily rootable
* A CM rom available that crashes less often than about once a month (every two weeks is a tad bit too much, but every three weeks might be acceptable)
* Low price. Seems that something in the ballpark of 150€ (about 200$) is where the phones get decent.

Phones that I could find out to exist on the market with a quick search (ordered by how interesting they seem according to size of screen, resolution and price. No idea of real usability, so I might have this list in a stupid order):
Huawei Vision U8850, 3,7" 480x800, 114€
ZTE Blade III (3), 4" 800x480, 139€
Huawei Ideos X5 Pro U8800, 3,8" 480x800, 165€
LG Optimus L5 (E610), 4", 480x320, 162€
Samsung Galaxy Xcover S5690, 3,65" 320x480, 155€
ZTE Kis II V788, 3,5" 480x320, 139€
Samsung GT-S5830 Galaxy Ace, 3,5" 480x320, 149€
Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos (S6802), 3,5" 480x320, 176€

So, which one would you recommend? :)

Other models will do as well, as long as there's a way I can get my hands on them. When I know what to google for, I can probably find out about its availability. If my price requirement is too restrictive.
Also, if you have a phone laying around that meets my requirements and are happy to send it to Finland, name your price ;)

trevordale

Jan 13, 2013

Primarily I'd need a phone that has the possibility to install a good calendar that can show the next important appointments on the home screen. Meego got murdered, Windows phone is something I want to stay away from and Symbian's quite out of question as well. And, I'd prefer Google being blind to my life.
Seems an Android device with Cyanogen Mod and some calendar with SyncML support is the best available option (or the least bad, if you want to put it that way :þ ). Now, having never had a smartphone, I might indeed be a bit of a newb. Got enough generic computer skills on various platforms for finding out how to precisely root the device and getting through the job alive. Also, I can leave my Ubuntu desktop running 24/7, if constant server access is required. But, which device to buy?

* Screen around the "normal size" – that is, something around the size of an iPhone. Maybe a tad bit larger or smaller, but Galaxy note is definitely too large and Galaxy Mini definitely too small.
* Easily rootable
* A CM rom available that crashes less often than about once a month (every two weeks is a tad bit too much, but every three weeks might be acceptable)
* Low price. Seems that something in the ballpark of 150€ (about 200$) is where the phones get decent.

Phones that I could find out to exist on the market with a quick search (ordered by how interesting they seem according to size of screen, resolution and price. No idea of real usability, so I might have this list in a stupid order):

Other models will do as well, as long as there's a way I can get my hands on them. When I know what to google for, I can probably find out about its availability. If my price requirement is too restrictive.
Also, if you have a phone laying around that meets my requirements and are happy to send it to Finland, name your price ;)

I bought the samsung captivate glide i 927

its number 3 in the best phones of 2012

Carrier
Type AT&T
Form Factor
Form Factor Touchscreen
Color
Color Black
Network
Frequencies and Data Type UMTS 850/1900/2100; GSM 850/900/1800/1900
Data Speed 4G HSPA+ 21 Mbps (Category 14)
SAR value - Head (W/kg) SAR Value: Head 0.20 W/kg
SAR value - Body Worn (W/kg) SAR Value: Body 0.54 W/kg
Platform
Platform Android 2.3, Gingerbread
CPU / Processor
Processor Speed, Type 1GHz Dual-core Tegra™ 2 Processor
Display
Main Display Resolution 480x800 Pixels
Main Display Size 4.0”
Main Display Technology Super AMOLED™
Features
GPS Navigation Yes
Camera
Camera Resolution 8.0 MP
Front-facing Camera Resolution 1.3 MP
Video
Features HD 720P video camera
Business & Office
Features Enhanced Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS) to sync email, contacts, calendar and tasks, Device and SD card encryption, Virtual private network support
Memory
Internal Memory 1GB RAM/1GB ROM/8GB
External Memory/microSD™ Capacity microSD™ card

i got mine on e bay for $100.00 usa and a new screen for it was only 100 more

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto

One question: since when Glide is one of the top 3 of 2012? You can easily put Galaxy S3, HTC One X, Xperia T, Note 2, One X+, Xperia V and so on...

Enviado de meu LT26i usando o Tapatalk 2

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

* Easily rootable

S3 Mini? Good option, Android 4.1 out of the box, dual core 1ghz, NovaThor processor, although the only thing is that CM is in alpha stage. Although I feel the touchwiz calendar is quite good, atleast better than those I have tried.

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

sqidsey

Coming from my s-on desire with only 140 or so mb for me to play with a nexus 4 16 gb it'll seem like 1hell of a lot thou ...my SD card which is 16 gb is only a third full nd that's mainly different ROM backups nd music ...can't wait to have a go at dead trigger ....with multi touch....:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)