[Q] rooted droid maxx boot loops after ota attempt

Search This thread

droidrepair

Jan 21, 2014
I have a droid maxx on 12.15.15 update and rooted it using the telnet and adb way. I kept cancelling the last ota update becasue I wanted to make sure root was available. Anyway this morning i aciddently hit install now ;( It didn't install but now its stuck in boot loop. :( It powers up fine, but after everything loads a bout a minute later it says Power off...Shutting down.. and restarts and keeps boot looping. I've rooted all my other fons, but this is getting tricky. How can I fix this?? I don't mind installing ota if there is root availalble, but I just need my fon fixed! I'm on vacation 1400mi from home, but fortunately I have my old fon along. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yachter99

Apr 23, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have a droid maxx on 12.15.15 update and rooted it using the telnet and adb way. I kept cancelling the last ota update becasue I wanted to make sure root was available. Anyway this morning i aciddently hit install now ;( It didn't install but now its stuck in boot loop. :( It powers up fine, but after everything loads a bout a minute later it says Power off...Shutting down.. and restarts and keeps boot looping. I've rooted all my other fons, but this is getting tricky. How can I fix this?? I don't mind installing ota if there is root availalble, but I just need my fon fixed! I'm on vacation 1400mi from home, but fortunately I have my old fon along. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You are bootlooping because the root method used on this phone removes the stock recovery, thus the phone keeps trying, and failing, to install the update. As far as I'm aware the only way you can get out of the bootloop is to boot into fastboot and re-flash stock 12.15.15 (luckily because the 4.4 update has not installed on your device you will be able to keep your lower firmware, and thus re-root). However I am not 100% sure this is the only solution, and this would wipe your phone as well. I recommend waiting for more responses or looking around for a possible other solution if you prefer to try to not wipe your phone....

vexicon

Dec 20, 2011
You are bootlooping because the root method used on this phone removes the stock recovery, thus the phone keeps trying, and failing, to install the update. As far as I'm aware the only way you can get out of the bootloop is to boot into fastboot and re-flash stock 12.15.15 (luckily because the 4.4 update has not installed on your device you will be able to keep your lower firmware, and thus re-root). However I am not 100% sure this is the only solution, and this would wipe your phone as well. I recommend waiting for more responses or looking around for a possible other solution if you prefer to try to not wipe your phone....

I haven't had time to look around and find the thread, but I was able to find a thread that allowed me to FXZ using fastboot to restore 12.15.15 and restore everything, leaving your data intact. Worked like a charm when I was stuck in the bootloop. So, it's doable.

sangar66

Jan 21, 2014
Bump, this problem is an exact replica of what I am currently experiencing. You do get to boot into the OS for a little while, but after about (maybe) 1/2 a minute, it says powering off and reboots.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yes, but it was only to delete bloatware, there is no actual backup of what's on my phone. Additionally, I don't really care about recovering lost data, I just want to bring my phone to a working state.

That's ok. When you get to your os quickly go into titanium back find apk MotorolaOTA and freeze it. That should stop your bootloop. If it doesn't you may need to freeze an app called updater. Lemme know how it works out.

Sent from my KitKat Ultra

Reactions: sangar66

sangar66

Jan 21, 2014
That's ok. When you get to your os quickly go into titanium back find apk MotorolaOTA and freeze it. That should stop your bootloop. If it doesn't you may need to freeze an app called updater. Lemme know how it works out.

I don't have the donate version of Titanium Backup, so I can't freeze things. Should I uninstall OTA?

droidrepair

Jan 21, 2014
Ok i used houseofmoto 2 and fastboot and so far seems to be working fine! Thanks SamuraiHL and all!
Now i don't have root tho. I assume i'll be able to re root using telnet, etc? Or should i install ota and then root, or is that not possible yet?

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok i used houseofmoto 2 and fastboot and so far seems to be working fine! Thanks SamuraiHL and all!
Now i don't have root tho. I assume i'll be able to re root using telnet, etc? Or should i install ota and then root, or is that not possible yet?

Don't take 4.4 OTA as there is no way to root it. You need to start the process on rooted 4.2.2 using the slapmymoto process nicely outlined here.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2616104

[GUIDE V1.6][ROOT][4.2.2 TO 4.4] XT1080/M (Requires Rooted 4.2.2) 01/20/14

droidrepair

Jan 21, 2014

droidrepair

Jan 21, 2014
wow. It takes a lotta work to keep these things rooted and updated! oh well, educational i guess. Is there a stable 4.4 ota or is this just the one from dec that got pulled?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, but it was only to delete bloatware, there is no actual backup of what's on my phone. Additionally, I don't really care about recovering lost data, I just want to bring my phone to a working state.