Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392908175403.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392908175403.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 514

BambiTyler

Sep 8, 2012
Boyertown, PA
Battery Life/Speed

Am noticing a major increase in speed. But as for battery life....doesn't seem like it took a leap forward. Even with using Greenify, and turning some features off, It's been stuck at 44% while plugged in charging for about a good 7 minutes. Other than that no force closes yet, feels much more fluid switching from app to app, and even though the UI is only slightly tweaked; kinda liking the white icons. :)

chico260

Nov 30, 2013
Anyone have a direct link to the tar mj4 to get back to completely stock with Odin to prep for update.. I'm at work and limited to browsing time to look for it.. TIA

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

varaff

Jun 14, 2007
Washington DC
Noticed that 4.4.2
Is much faster. This is due to the way 4.4 utilizes the 4 cpu.
In the previous 4.3 you mostly used two cores now all 4 are used.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

Reactions: DreamingWolf

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
I'd be cautious about judging battery life until a couple days. KitKat had a lot of changes so this is a brand new operating system, so it's expected that battery might suffer initially.

In my experience with the Nexus 5 (I'm switching to the Note 3) this afternoon, KitKat does a better job managing RAM and Battery life. I was averaging 5 hours SOT on the 2300mah battery on the Nexus. Can't wait to see what I get with the 3200mah!

Reactions: kingdazy

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
Since getting the Kit Kat update, I notice that the battery life has gone down hill and I cannot stay connected to Wifi for the life of me. The Wifi issue probably has something to do with the battery life though.

BambiTyler

Sep 8, 2012
Boyertown, PA
Battery Life

I'd be cautious about judging battery life until a couple days. KitKat had a lot of changes so this is a brand new operating system, so it's expected that battery might suffer initially.

In my experience with the Nexus 5 (I'm switching to the Note 3) this afternoon, KitKat does a better job managing RAM and Battery life. I was averaging 5 hours SOT on the 2300mah battery on the Nexus. Can't wait to see what I get with the 3200mah!

Well once it got up to about 58% it started charging faster as it has before. :) Once it gets up to 100% I'm going to do a factory reset, download my main applications again, use Greenify, and see how it last throughout the day till 1% and post a screen shot of the battery settings :)

Lethal_NFS

Dec 21, 2010
Grain Valley, MO
Update to my phone being extra hot and battery life sucking away.

The phone is now idle at 78.9 degrees. It was in the 90s for the first hour after the update. And battery life was dropping like crazy.

The battery is steady now and everything is nice and smooth.

kingdazy

Feb 24, 2010
Olympia
I'm just going to wait patiently until Freeza has got this ripped up, subdued, knox'ed out, rooted-tooted and flashable. No way I'm doing a flashdance just to get to stock, to attempt to maybe download the ota, to then root again....

And like mentioned earlier, c'mon people, battery life is irrelevant at this point, that's like judging gas mileage 10 minutes out the lot.

Sent from my calculator watch.

Paulitics

Feb 9, 2013
Howard Lake
Anyone else getting the update fail? I had it happen twice around 27%. I just cleared the cache, but I'd really prefer not to factory reset. I'm completely stock, official status under settings too.

I still can't update. I've tried 4 times now (each time I have to re-download the update, it's super annoying). Each time I've tried, it fails at 27% and it just says error. After the reboot, it will say can't install update, please update using a computer (kies) or go to the nearest samsung center.

I really don't want to have to factory reset. I've tried clearing cache and making it as factory settings as possible, but still nothing. I'm completely stock, not rooted with official device status... What the hell samsung?

Any advice? Thanks!

Lethal_NFS

Dec 21, 2010
Grain Valley, MO
I'm just going to wait patiently until Freeza has got this ripped up, subdued, knox'ed out, rooted-tooted and flashable. No way I'm doing a flashdance just to get to stock, to attempt to maybe download the ota, to then root again....

And like mentioned earlier, c'mon people, battery life is irrelevant at this point, that's like judging gas mileage 10 minutes out the lot.

If you are not updating, or updated, why are you posting?

And I mentioned my battery life because there will be members wanting to know if their battery life will improve, etc.

MikeyLee

Jul 20, 2010
Phoenix
You can't judge battery life for at least a few days and cycles. Post back at that time. If your phone it hit after doing the update, dont forget that your phone just downloaded almost 600 mb of data. :)

Reactions: kingdazy

kingdazy

Feb 24, 2010
Olympia
If you are not updating, or updated, why are you posting?

And I mentioned my battery life because there will be members wanting to know if their battery life will improve, etc.
a) this is a 4.4 discussion thread, not an ota update problems only thread, leading to...
b) to let others perhaps frustrated with ota download issues know that Very Soon there will be easier options, that do not require getting back to stock flashdances.
c) relax buddy, my battery comment was not directed at you specifically, but to the inevitable deluge of posts amounting to the following: "my battery life sucks! oh me, oh my!" that has already started. subtly hinting that perhaps people should not add inane, anecdotal posts that are mirrors of the last ten posts.

This is the 4.4 discussion thread. And you are telling people not to discuss the battery life for some odd reason. Bit odd you don't have the update and you are telling people not to complain about anything. I guess if everyone was as knowledgeable as you, they would not need to say anything about it. Or need this discussion thread at all lol.

I only say this because your post about the battery life looked as though you were trying to make everyone feel stupid by comparing this to gas mileage on a car.
sorry your jimmies are all rustled, that you took my comment as such a personal affront. next time i'll use the [humor] markup so its apparent.
i cant really tell at this point if you're either being intentionally obtuse, trying to start a flame-on, or incapable of reading whole paragraphs? i come here for relevant technical info, and to answer a question or offer advice now and again as I am able. and reminding people that other options will soon be available is relevant.
maybe you like reading 10 pages of the same thing? xda is not a knitting circle, ffs. do you really want to read 42 posts about the battery? do you really want to read 42 posts about how someone can't get the ota? I most Certainly expect people to discuss the 4.4 update, but as any mod or dev will tell you, if you don't have something new or helpful to add to the discussion, don't.

Have a better day! :D I'm out!

Last edited:

Lethal_NFS

Dec 21, 2010
Grain Valley, MO
You can't judge battery life for at least a few days and cycles. Post back at that time. If your phone it hit after doing the update, dont forget that your phone just downloaded almost 600 mb of data. :)

After 2hrs, my phone settled and everything is great. The first 2 hours was rough as the phone was real hot and the battery was just draining away.

a) this is a 4.4 discussion thread

This is the 4.4 discussion thread. And you are telling people not to discuss the battery life for some odd reason. Bit odd you don't have the update and you are telling people not to complain about anything. I guess if everyone was as knowledgeable as you, they would not need to say anything about it. Or need this discussion thread at all lol.

I only say this because your post about the battery life looked as though you were trying to make everyone feel stupid by comparing this to gas mileage on a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: ubigred

JSnively

Mar 14, 2008
I still can't update. I've tried 4 times now (each time I have to re-download the update, it's super annoying). Each time I've tried, it fails at 27% and it just says error. After the reboot, it will say can't install update, please update using a computer (kies) or go to the nearest samsung center.

I really don't want to have to factory reset. I've tried clearing cache and making it as factory settings as possible, but still nothing. I'm completely stock, not rooted with official device status... What the hell samsung?

Any advice? Thanks!

I am having the same issue If failed and rebooted and said use Kies 3. Same 27% both times.

Last edited:

Epix4G

Sep 14, 2011
phoenix
I am having the same issue If failed and rebooted and said use Kies 3. Same 27% both times.

Does your phone say custom .... Under about device status .... If so it will always fail .... And will need to factory reset and Odin mj4 tar to get it to say official. ..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally upgraded and rooted to 4.4.2 but I don't seem to find anything that I wanted from the 4.4 features (immersive mode or translucent notification bar) is it just me or is everyone else the same?

I wouldn't go back to Jellybean. No interest in it. You posted 4.4, but I'm assuming you meant 4.3.

The footprint is smaller, it's faster, more stable, better performance under the hood, love the full screen album art on the lockscreen, just an overall better user experience...for me.

To each his or her own.

Non sequitur, you can really tell the difference when Sprint gets a 4G area set up properly; it's usually a day or two of weird speeds, followed by a consistent speed that's sort of awesome. This is typical for the last 36 hours. I have no idea if the NABD modem has anything to do with it, as this could be coincidence...

e2ezuty4.jpg

I had the og epic 4G up until about a month ago. It was an awesome phone and virtually unbrickable. That community was truly a family as well. I must say that from the Sprint note 3 community is pretty cool too.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Here...

There's platform hack? link?

Unzip this Platform.xml file (it's in RAR format), copy/paste push/perm to system/etc/permissions, making sure to rename the one that's there, reboot. Doing his allows your Dropbox to see both memory locations, allows you to make new backups with Titanium Backup, and write new folders and files to external SD using ES File Manager. Can't do those things with this wonderful feature, because only apps with external SD privilages can write to it, like Google Music.

Yup, it's not fun. It's a feature, and only apps granted that external SD writing ability can write to it.

For now, the platform hack is the only if which I know that can trump it.