need help.. do i need sprint activation

Search This thread

YemenHero

Oct 29, 2011
Sana'a
I recently bought sprint gs5 with bad ESN. hence I dont live in usa, o thought this shouldnt be a problem.

Ok I received the phone, I managed to activate it with our locale cdma network " no sim card used "

But I noticed some features not available such as usb tethering, hotspot wifi calling, raoming section.

I updated to NE5 but problem exists.
I finallu rooted and installed MOAR rom, usb tethering still not available. However wifi calling was there but frozen! After defrozen it, when I press on it takes me to self test mode!!

Hotspot didnt work either, I get msg saying " insert sim card"

Any great developer plz help me with those issues, also are they related to sprint activation?? Any solution to bypass.

Thanx alot in advance.

Screenshot_2014-06-29-22-39-21.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-29-22-39-21.png
    103 KB · Views: 189

bryanu

Dec 1, 2010
I recently bought sprint gs5 with bad ESN. hence I dont live in usa, o thought this shouldnt be a problem.

Ok I received the phone, I managed to activate it with our locale cdma network " no sim card used "

But I noticed some features not available such as usb tethering, hotspot wifi calling, raoming section.

I finallu rooted and installed MOAR rom, usb tethering still not available. However wifi calling was there but frozen! After defrozen it, when I press on it takes me to self test mode!!

Any great developer plz help me with those issues, also are they related to sprint activation?? Any solution to bypass.

Thanx alot in advance.

This is an LTE phone so it will want a sim for some data stuff.

That said, because it's running sprint software and not on a sprint network many things simply won't work. You would need to flash it with different software probably or change various advanced settings.

The WiFi calling takes you to self-service because for Sprint it actually adds a feature to the users account and uses a third party provider sprint uses for the WiFi calling feature. This won't work with another provider. You would need that providers stuff.

Simply put don't expect a phone from one provider on another to work 100% or perfect. You would have been better to get an international version or one with generic software.

Beyond that can't help you any, maybe others can.

Reactions: YemenHero

YemenHero

Oct 29, 2011
Sana'a

That said, because it's running sprint software and not on a sprint network many things simply won't work. You would need to flash it with different software probably or change various advanced settings.

The WiFi calling takes you to self-service because for Sprint it actually adds a feature to the users account and uses a third party provider sprint uses for the WiFi calling feature. This won't work with another provider. You would need that providers stuff.

Simply put don't expect a phone from one provider on another to work 100% or perfect. You would have been better to get an international version or one with generic software.

Thanx alot for your kind replay.. I would appreciate if you advise for a developer to contact regarding sprint activation and to get usb tethering back. :)
Also can somebody confirm whether flashing sprint PRL then reflash stock rom will help to overcome.

Last edited:

DistrictDigital

Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
districtdigital.tk
Thanx alot for your kind replay.. I would appreciate if you advise for a developer to contact regarding sprint activation and to get usb tethering back. :)
Also can somebody confirm whether flashing sprint PRL then reflash stock rom will help to overcome.

He just said these things are tied into the phone. You will have these issues until pure AOSP/AOKP ROMs come out. Should have purchased an international version of the phone instead of purchasing a stolen phone.

Reactions: YemenHero

YemenHero

Oct 29, 2011
Sana'a
He just said these things are tied into the phone. You will have these issues until pure AOSP/AOKP ROMs come out. Should have purchased an international version of the phone instead of purchasing a stolen phone.
Thanx anyway.. although how am I suppose to know its stolen!!
I did buy this phone because its price was way lower than an international one. Besides international gs5 doesnt support cdma!!
Anyhow, the phone is fully functioning im even able to use data. For hotspot n usb tethering, I managed to use them through foxfi.. only wifi calling not working and im not really interested in.

Finally thanx for all your help. Truely appreciate it :)

DistrictDigital

Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
districtdigital.tk
I did buy this phone because its price was way lower than an international one. Besides international gs5 doesnt support cdma!!
Anyhow, the phone is fully functioning im even able to use data. For hotspot n usb tethering, I managed to use them through foxfi.. only wifi calling not working and im not really interested in.

Bad ESN ALWAYS means its stolen in some way or another.

Drugman109

Jul 2, 2014
Orlando, FL
WHO KNEW IT WAS BAD ESN - Sprint Galaxy S5

I have just been scammed on Craigslist by buying a Samsung Galaxy S5….I checked all the things I could :-

the ESN on Swappa.com
checked that the seller had the box and all accessories
checked that the IMEI number matched on phone and box
saw a mail document for the seller with an address on it
got a receipt
paid a "normal" price that was slightly discounted
checked the hardware using Antutu and CPU-Z
made calls and texts from the phone
checked for internet connection
checked the fingerprint scanner and software version

Beyond all this what else could I have done? Now I have an expensive toy that Sprint won't let me activate what else can I do?

YemenHero

Oct 29, 2011
Sana'a
I have just been scammed on Craigslist by buying a Samsung Galaxy S5….I checked all the things I could :-

the ESN on Swappa.com
checked that the seller had the box and all accessories
checked that the IMEI number matched on phone and box
saw a mail document for the seller with an address on it
got a receipt
paid a "normal" price that was slightly discounted
checked the hardware using Antutu and CPU-Z
made calls and texts from the phone
checked for internet connection
checked the fingerprint scanner and software version

Beyond all this what else could I have done? Now I have an expensive toy that Sprint won't let me activate what else can I do?
Are you using the mobile inside USA?

YemenHero

Oct 29, 2011
Sana'a
I am not currently using the galaxy s5 due t it being blocked/blacklisted/etc. I would like to use it in the USA but if not then I would like to use it in Europe and South America when I travel for work.

Can you please help me with my expensive purchase…...:confused:
The device will do no good for you in USA, but it may work in other countries if their carrier provides CDMA coverage. using DFS.
I suggest that you return the device to the seller and claim your refund. specially if they didn't infrom you it has bad ESN.

Drugman109

Jul 2, 2014
Orlando, FL
The device will do no good for you in USA, but it may work in other countries if their carrier provides CDMA coverage. using DFS.
I suggest that you return the device to the seller and claim your refund. specially if they didn't infrom you it has bad ESN.

Many thanks for helping me YemenHero…..I can't contact the seller because this was a private sale through Craigslist and the only contact telephone number I have was attached to this phone and it is no longer in use. I cannot contact the seller by any means possible. The seller lied to me about the cellphone and so I'm stuck with trying to find solutions to recoup my money.

I am not xda knowledgeable so can you please help explain what DFS is?

Once again, many thanks.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
Flashing it most likely won't help unless you're on a carrier that doesn't carry the same CDMA MEID blacklist as Sprint. Changing the MEID won't work here because of the IMEI certification being broken when you do it and therefore granting you no signal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

BretonGirl

Jun 4, 2012
The Big Apple
You will never be able to activate that phone on Sprint or get any help from them for it because of the bad ESN. It was blacklisted because it's stolen or the previous owner refused to pay their bill. You were foolish enough to buy it anyway, and you will have to deal with your poor judgment and crippled phone.

Drugman109

Jul 2, 2014
Orlando, FL
You will never be able to activate that phone on Sprint or get any help from them for it because of the bad ESN. It was blacklisted because it's stolen or the previous owner refused to pay their bill. You were foolish enough to buy it anyway, and you will have to deal with your poor judgment and crippled phone.

While people like me are foolish enough to buy phones (or any used item for that matter) please note that this is what often allows others to upgrade their phones and buy the latest technology. If this did not happen many people would not buy the latest products like s5 and the new technology would actually cost a lot more than it currently does.
When buying the S5 I took diligent steps including checking the esn with swappa.com and sprint. Getting the sellers details, checking out the functions of the phone and paying a reasonable market price were the other pieces of the puzzle. Apart from buying from a dealer what other steps would you have taken in this instance…..I would welcome advice on this issue because it is easy to pass judgement on those that have fallen to the scammers out there.

This post is about how to unlock so let's focus on working on this please……thanks.

BretonGirl

Jun 4, 2012
The Big Apple
While people like me are foolish enough to buy phones (or any used item for that matter) please note that this is what often allows others to upgrade their phones and buy the latest technology. If this did not happen many people would not buy the latest products like s5 and the new technology would actually cost a lot more than it currently does.
When buying the S5 I took diligent steps including checking the esn with swappa.com and sprint. Getting the sellers details, checking out the functions of the phone and paying a reasonable market price were the other pieces of the puzzle. Apart from buying from a dealer what other steps would you have taken in this instance…..I would welcome advice on this issue because it is easy to pass judgement on those that have fallen to the scammers out there.

This post is about how to unlock so let's focus on working on this please……thanks.

There is nothing to focus on. You cannot unlock a Sprint S5 because it's CDMA. You would need to flash it and you cannot because there is no way to get past the IMEI certification. It is simply not possible.

My post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at the OP and other foolish people who know phone is blacklisted with a bad ESN but buy it anyway.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
There is nothing to focus on. You cannot unlock a Sprint S5 because it's CDMA. You would need to flash it and you cannot because there is no way to get past the IMEI certification. It is simply not possible.

My post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at the OP and other foolish people who know phone is blacklisted with a bad ESN but buy it anyway.

Hate to burst your CDMA bubble, but ever since the S4 all Sprint phones are domestic GSM CAPABLE. This doesn't mean that it'll work out of the box. A) the device needs to be internationally unlocked B) you must patch the domestic blacklist or bypass it completely through the service menu. I've domestically unlocked the Sprint S5, BUT it won't work because it's not internationally unlocked. As soon as that happens I'd be able to pop in a GSM SIM and get signal, guaranteed.

PS: To future posters please do not ask me how to domestically unlock the S5 unless you're going to share how to internationally unlock it. As mentioned above, a domestic unlock does nothing without the international unlock and by domestically unlocking your internationally locked phone you'd be wasting your time.

Reactions: Drugman109

sobri46

Apr 2, 2013
sprint s5

Hi, YemenHero

kindly please tell me what is the type of modem you use when you flash the s5 sprint using DFS or cdma workshop
is the way to change the spc to 000000 is the same way for s4 sprint ?

thank you

YemenHero

Oct 29, 2011
Sana'a
Hi, YemenHero

kindly please tell me what is the type of modem you use when you flash the s5 sprint using DFS or cdma workshop
is the way to change the spc to 000000 is the same way for s4 sprint ?

thank you
Hi there,
I apologize for my late replay, just saw your msg..

actually Yes, its same as sprint GS4, msl pwd is 000000. Just make sure you flash proper PRL for your network. Also make sure it support at least 3G data. I had to flash many PRLs till one worked fine with me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanx alot in advance.

Hate to burst your CDMA bubble, but ever since the S4 all Sprint phones are domestic GSM CAPABLE. This doesn't mean that it'll work out of the box. A) the device needs to be internationally unlocked B) you must patch the domestic blacklist or bypass it completely through the service menu. I've domestically unlocked the Sprint S5, BUT it won't work because it's not internationally unlocked. As soon as that happens I'd be able to pop in a GSM SIM and get signal, guaranteed.

PS: To future posters please do not ask me how to domestically unlock the S5 unless you're going to share how to internationally unlock it. As mentioned above, a domestic unlock does nothing without the international unlock and by domestically unlocking your internationally locked phone you'd be wasting your time.