Parrot Asteroid

Search This thread

brian417

Nov 11, 2011
been trying to find more information on this and found this thread. specifically if I could share 3g with my rooted optimus v and unfortunately it seems that I can not BUT! according to the faqs on parrots website they are working on an update to allow 3g sharing via usb.

think I will hold off on purchasing for now but very excited about the potential this has.

btw love the noob video even if it does hit close to home.:D

yaroze

Jul 30, 2010
Wifi

I would like to see an option for a USB WiFi adapter, and just use the hotspot on my phone.

stock1232

Oct 12, 2006
Im starting to get bored with the Parrot. I need new apps like Rhapsody, Pandora and better Google Maps to name a few.

I tried updating the firmware with the latest update for USA and it didn't work. Anyone update it successfully and if so what if any noticeable changes did it bring? My friend needs his Iphone 4S to work and is waiting for an update.

mhamlettster

Nov 19, 2010
San Marcos, Tx
Watching this thread... Hoping to order mine after xmas.. Porting ICS over to it would be boss... this thing looks to have potential to be more than it is..
Just got a new ride ready to get it setup up..

Xplosivo

Jan 11, 2007
Perfect tethering with Cobalt Blue 2 and rooted HTC Desire CM7 based ROM. Very stable, and working really good.

Regards from Spain, and thanks for those US apps!

evilflipper

Feb 25, 2008
Install apps like grooveshark or music by google

Hi guys! Is possible to install apps like grooveshark or music by google? I need to root the receiver? THX

noahas

Jun 18, 2008
Is there any secret to getting it to share the bluetooth tether using either Cobalt Blue 2 or Wireless Tether (the old version which had BT tether in it). I have a rooted Galaxy S2 with stock ROM, but can't get either program to work correctly (sharing the connection).

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Im starting to get bored with the Parrot. I need new apps like Rhapsody, Pandora and better Google Maps to name a few.

I tried updating the firmware with the latest update for USA and it didn't work. Anyone update it successfully and if so what if any noticeable changes did it bring? My friend needs his Iphone 4S to work and is waiting for an update.

I updated just fine with 1.4 and according to the release notes, which were just recently posted, the main change in 1.4 was Iphone 4s compatibility.

1mp4c

Dec 6, 2010
I'm thinking about getting this radio, but I have a couple questions. Has anyone hooked up all of the pre amp outputs? I see that it says there are 6ch outputs, but in all the images I only see 4ch.. I just got done wiring my car up, and want to change out the HU. I'm hoping we get root on this, or some good updates from Parrot. Its only been out a short time, so it seems to be where I would expect it as far as tech goes. Thanks to anyone who can answer! :D

Edit: Wow took a bit but I found some info on it, and the Sub RCA's come out of the wiring harness from the radio. Woot! Its also pretty cool that the software is online for all to play with, I wonder why it hasn't been hacked yet? Seems to be using all the same stuffs :p

Last edited:

1mp4c

Dec 6, 2010
Any one who has purchased this radio have a list for the wiring outputs from the connector?
I decided to pick one of these up to check it out, and in the book it mentions an orange wire, but I don't have one in this harness, and there is a pink wire...
Which wire is the amp turn on? Is it the blue wire? there is only one, and usually there are two, one for amp and one for power antenna.. Wanna make sure I'm hookin this up right the first time. :confused:
Well I'm dumb, in that when you remove the slip cage you can see there is a pin out on there for what the wires are. I'm assuming I need to use the antenna pwr wire for accessories.. not using the antenna anyways, just that they sometimes lose power when not in radio mode, hope it stays on.

Last edited:

fonetval

Apr 3, 2008
@Xplosivo : how do you get tethering to work ? I've seen that the CM 7.1 hasn't get DUN BT profile anymore (but CM 7.0.3 seems to have it and I can't find it to download !).
I've got a Asteroid and a rooted Desire S (but with no custom ROM yet) and I want to be sure it works before I put this CM 7 on my DS...

Thanks to all of you guys ; you're awsome on xda...!

raven_5x

Oct 27, 2009
Any one who has purchased this radio have a list for the wiring outputs from the connector?
I decided to pick one of these up to check it out, and in the book it mentions an orange wire, but I don't have one in this harness, and there is a pink wire...
Which wire is the amp turn on? Is it the blue wire? there is only one, and usually there are two, one for amp and one for power antenna.. Wanna make sure I'm hookin this up right the first time. :confused:
Well I'm dumb, in that when you remove the slip cage you can see there is a pin out on there for what the wires are. I'm assuming I need to use the antenna pwr wire for accessories.. not using the antenna anyways, just that they sometimes lose power when not in radio mode, hope it stays on.

orange wire usually is dimmer/illumination
pink wire, not sure
blue wire is remote (amp turn-on), it will need to control both amp turn-on & antenna control.

Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

I finally got my paws on the US Version of the Parrot ASTEROID.

BT DUN pair with my Samsung Captivate on ICS 4.0.3 (CM9a) no prob,
also BT DUN pair with my old HTC G1 on GB 2.3.7 (CM7) no prob.
3G & wifi both tether through the BT DUN. I haven't tried 2G.

I really hope that XDA will make a new forum for non-traditional Android devices. Rejecting the Parrot ASTEROID a forum is doing open-source a HUGE disservice!
/soapbox

Anyways, here are some links of interest I've found online that other forum members may find useful (none of which I claim ownership of course):

Some dude's home-made .apk's for ASTEROID, give him some love.
http://code.google.com/p/apps-for-asteroid/

Parrot App Developer site
https://devzone.parrot.com/projects

Parrot Official update files:
http://www.parrot.com/usa/support/onlinehelpfiles/parrot_asteroid/software-update

A tutorial on how to ROOT your Parrot ASTEROID
http://asteroid-blog.blogspot.com/2011/07/finally-how-to-root-parrot-asteroid.html

Superuser .apk for ASTEROID
http://asteroid-blog.blogspot.com/2011/07/superuser-modified-for-asteroid.html

cheers :cool:

fitotif

May 10, 2011
Hello...

I have same question about asteroid:

Can i listen to the radio offline?
is there offline navigation?

thanks!

William4444

Jan 9, 2012
First, I don't know if I can post links yet. Second, I'm too lazy to dig it up. They had an article on Androidpolice during CES that included a speaker from Parrot showcasing it. I think he said a Q2 release. I'll be getting this the second its released, regardless of price.
zhaojh.jpg

zhaoht.jpg

zhaogd.jpg

Last edited:

stock1232

Oct 12, 2006
You would think after two months they would have released at least one extra app for the Parrot. Im really getting bored of it. Anyone return theirs? I have like two more days to return it and don't know if I should hold out.

djfourmoney

Nov 15, 2011
San Fernando Valley (818)
Why you bored with it?

Now with that out of the way, they will release a double DIN model. Which now will cover 99% of the cars available to 99% of the people. Not that the 1-Din model doesn't some just wanted a larger screen.

That has been addressed, so I expect development to pick up speed. The product has only been out for less than a year.

Round up all the Asteroid users in the US for example and petition various app makers to make a version for this, it shouldn't be hard.

I can think of a few -

• Sirius/XM App
  • Torque OBD-II App
  • Video Recording App (For the Camera inputs on the 2 Din Model)

la.ouiche

Dec 5, 2009
Watching this thread... Hoping to order mine after xmas.. Porting ICS over to it would be boss... this thing looks to have potential to be more than it is..
Just got a new ride ready to get it setup up..
What a joke ICS on Asteroid are you kidding? I don't know how memory it embeds but with a 400MHz CPu I won't bet more than 64MB, may be 128... I read it does'nt have any video hardware acceleration either, so don't expect to have a 3D navigation like google or any soon or later.
I bet this device will be stuck in Donut forever!
But this is still a great product, and thousands of usefull ideas can be developed using this hardware and OS.

pim

Mar 22, 2006
Thionville
aac+ ?

For the guys in the USA having tunein instead of liveradio from orange : can you tell me if the app decodes streams in aac+ ?
Liveradio plays those streams but treats them as aac instead of aac+. The sound is then really bad (lack of trebles)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Offline navigation: I have Navigon on it, installed a few days ago. Works well with an Eastern European map that I use. Can't go to the house number, just to the street, but it may be user error, since I'm more familiar with iGo and Google.

The volume cannot be changed, it's either maximum or mute, but not in between.

An Italian guy (peppino44255) modified it to work with the Asteroid's wheel and Next/Prev buttons.

It works, but when I really have to go to a new place, I'd mount the standalone on the windshield or even use my smartphone. Waze would be more useful on the Asteroid.

I'll see if I can find the download link for you.

Edit: see below.

OK, I got it from here. The page is in French.

What the page, and the comments, say:

1. Get the program from here (on the page, fill the CAPTCHA, then press the button under it, with the text "Valider et telecharger le fichier" on it) or from Rapidshare. It's a 120 MB RAR and downloads slowly (was at 40-160 kbps for me, took ages).

2. Get a Navigon map for your country. I don't have sources for this. The page has a link to France's 2010 map, but newer Navigon maps work, too. I tested it with a 2011 map. I found the map I need from one of the links in the comments there.

3. Get an SD card that you will use in your Asteroid, if you don't have one yet. For now, access the card with your computer, using a card reader or by other means. Make sure it is FAT32 formatted. FAT16 (classic FAT) would probably work, too. Create a folder on it, called "Navigon". Actually, you can put the program in any folder, even in the SD card's root, but this is how I did it.

4. Unpack the RAR you downloaded at step 1, into this folder on the card. If we'd call the card "SD", you would now have:

SD/Navigon/Navigon.apk
    SD/Navigon/data/…
    SD/Navigon/sound/…
    SD/Navigon/map/…

5. Copy the *.map files (US.map, maybe?) that you got at step 2, to SD/Navigon/map/.

6. Unmount the SD card from your computer and put it in the Asteroid.

7. On the Asteroid, go to the Install menu. You will see "Navigon" in the list. Install it.

The main Navigon menu, right after you start the program (the third photo on the French page), is navigable with the Asteroid wheel and the Asteroid Next/Prev buttons. In most text boxes (e.g. when inputting a street's name), you can press the big round Parrot button and the Asteroid keyboard will come up. Changing between uppercase/lowercase/numbers is by pressing the menu button. Changing between night/day is through menu button->Day/Night, when a map is displayed.

The comments say Navigon will default to the system's language. I have the UK firmware and Navigon's menus are UK English. US will probably give you US, not that there are many differences.

Just for making it clear: you will have to leave the SD card inside the Asteroid, otherwise the navigation won't work.

If you know how to create a startup config file for Navigon, please do tell. I'm especially interested in setting the volume, since it's at maximum. The Asteroid's many volume settings do not affect it. What I did, is go to Navigon's settings menu and mute it. I did not try an external USB keyboard, maybe one can use the horizontal arrow keys to adjust the volume slider.

Edit 2:

Got a wireless mini keyboard for it, from eBay, this one. It cost 18.82$, free shipping. It works - input is much easier and faster, and I can also set Navigon's volume. It's not backlit, but for the money, it works.
    Asteroid

Been driving around with the Asteroid for a while now and it's a pretty neat radio but not perfect.

Building it into the car was a breeze. With the radio came all the needed cables, like a 3,5mm jack, iPod cable, USB cable for usb-sticks, GPS dongle and microphone for the carkit. All cables were pretty long so you should have no problem routing them to whatever place you want them in your car.

Soundquality is pretty good and there are plenty of connections for subwoofers and external amplifiers so it should suffice even for cars with loads of fat speakers.

Connecting my phone, an HTC Desire with CyanogenMod 7.1 (nightly build), was easy through bluetooth and streaming music over bluetooth went without problems. Answering phonecalls and navigating the menu is pretty easy.

A few problems I ran into though. To use internet on the radio (for google maps, internet radio, coyote speed camera alerts) you can either use a 3g USB dongle (which costs you at least 10€ a month where I live) or tether your phone through bluetooth (maybe usb works, haven't tried yet). To do this, your phone needs to support the bluetooth DUN profile which android lacks. Nokia phones should be no problem though. I've tried using 3rd party apps like PDANet but to no avail.

Furthermore I found that the device lacks some tweaking capabilities. For example, when i'm navigating my contacts from my phone, the device tries to "read" the contacts for me using text-to-speech. I've found no way to turn this off. Furthermore I could find no option in the settings to turn off the traffic announcements from radio. The device now switches to radio when i'm listening to music from my SD card to bring me the traffic information (Which can be skipped by pressing the "back" button). Finally, the device came with a Dutch language setting and i've found no way to turn this to English, which is the language I prefer.

Please note, I have only used this radio for a short while and I might've missed some things! I think this is a very nice radio though and since it is the first model and only out for a week or so now I think there will be some updates from Parrot's side, perhaps expanding the capabilities of this device. The only major drawback is the lack of internet connectivity if you have an Android phone. This is not Parrot's fault though but rather Google's. I heard though that Honeycomb supports Bluetooth PAN and I think the Asteroid supports this for Internet tethering so i'm keeping my hopes up for Android Icecream to bring this feature to my phone.

Pro:
    - Lots sources for music: Radio, USB stick, SD Card, iPod, 3.5mm Jack line-in
    - Android with Google Maps
    - Speed camera Alerts
    - Large screen (for a single DIN radio unit)
    - Lots of cables came with the Radio (With a Pioneer your need to buy overpriced iPod cables separately)
    - Its a handsfree carkit, and Parrot knows how to make those by now :)
    - Lots of tweaking possible with the sound

Con:
    - Internet does not work with Android phones (yet)
    - Lacks certain tweaking possibilities in the settings menu

Feel free to ask any questions :)
    back from holidays and on the way to holidays. ^^

but i've got a new version for you (1.7) ... try it out :)
    http://asteroid.rphoto.at/

sorry for my short post ... i'm on the way. ;)
    I have posted a separate small tutorial for Navigon Offline Navigation
    on the Parrot Asteroid:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26502867#post26502867