FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

CyanogenMod 7 GSM Patch - Now with added data

430 posts
Thanks Meter: 222

By thingonaspring, Senior Member on 22nd November 2011, 12:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi All,

I've been trying to generate a GSM patch for newer CM7 builds for a while now and finally have one that works against 11/16 - and now includes data too.

Unlike previous attempts, this isn't a 100mb file that overwrites the whole OS, it's just a 530kb patch to be installed over the 11/16 build. All this patch does is to add/replace 9 libs, 4 binaries and build.prop file (minimal changes to default radio mode and permitted emergency call numbers).

If you try this patch, please post your experiences here so I can see how effective it is and try to improve it. In particular I'd like to know if CDMA works - I think it might, but I can't test that theory in the UK.

Install instructions :-
- Install hashcodes safestrap, reboot into safestrap
- Ensure safe system is ENABLED
- Wipe data/cache
- Format /system
- Install CM7 11/16 build from Hascode's thread here :-
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1308924
- Install attached the gsm_patch1116_WithData.zip
- Reboot.
- On first boot, phone will FC a couple of times
- Once booted, select GSM as main network, check your APN is configured and selected, then reboot and your phone will connect to the network

A big thankyou goes to hashcode, the dev of the CM7 port. Without him, the Droid3 would be a lot less fun to play with - and thanks to niko99 for pointing out the way to merge together roms/patches to get working data - that gave me the clues I needed to improve this patch a lot.

One last thing - there are possibly 1 or 2 libs/bins in this patch that don't strictly need to be in there. I'll keep testing to try and minimise it as much as possible.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GSM_PATCH_1116_WithData.zip - [Click for QR Code] (535.1 KB, 555 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thingonaspring For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thingonaspring Ad-Free

22nd November 2011, 12:06 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 165

More
Hey,

you make try like i wrote before in other subject ( this tested other user and its working)

1. install hashcode clear rom http://goo.gl/xkZ0S
2. turn on phone wait when all will load restar phone to recovery
3. install http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...8&d=1320513115 restar phone, wait to all will load and once again, restart and go to recovery
3. install CyanogenMod7 GSM Niko99 A - Speedy Share - upload your files here

restart phone, all should work, g/e/3g/h and wifi, belowe screenshot do 1 min ago (its turn on polish lang.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niko99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift niko99 Ad-Free
22nd November 2011, 12:52 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi Niko99

Can you post a backup of your /system from your working GSM phone?
I'll try to use it to improve the patch as it's difficult to know what's been changed when 2 roms and a patch have been applied on top of each other.

My aim here is to have a small clean patch that not only makes the phone work, but explains something about why hashcode's base rom doesn't support GSM.

We'll learn a lot more that way.

[edit] I've just manually merged those 3 Zips (CM7.2.RC0, GSM_PATCH and Niko99) looking for the right combination of files/settings and I think I've found the data problem. Testing now.
[edit][edit] yep - got it, first post updated
22nd November 2011, 11:31 PM |#4  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 23,867

Donate to Me
More
Please keep at this thread, I really appreciate you getting this going for the GSM community!
23rd November 2011, 12:47 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 165

More
I have very slow upload speed of my internet... but in next 15 min i will put here a copy of my /system folder copy 1h ago from my droid3 gsm phone

uploading in progress :/

thingonaspring
now a uploading is finish http://www.speedy.sh/WZTF/CyanogenMo...23_11_2011.zip

but i see you foud what you need so now YEEEEE its done one little step to CM7 on D3
23rd November 2011, 02:05 AM |#6  
Manchester
Thanks Meter: 0

More
can anyone tell me how to download google market please?
23rd November 2011, 02:53 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
@8339923
This has already been answered quite a lot on XDA.
Here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=21 for instance.
23rd November 2011, 05:43 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks a lot for this fix, i will try it out this weekend (don't wanna mess up my phone in the middle of the week) and report back. It's nice to see data got added too, teamwork
24th November 2011, 08:07 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Will this work for att and tmobile (USA)
24th November 2011, 03:20 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
As long as your phone is SIM unlocked, then yes it should work.
I'd be interested to find out, if a friendly US user could devote a little time to test it.

My motivation for making this patch was for people like me who've imported unlocked Droid3's from the US to other territories. It hadn't occurred to me that there are US GSM carriers too, which would make the patch useful to a much wider audience.
25th November 2011, 01:12 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingonaspring

As long as your phone is SIM unlocked, then yes it should work.
I'd be interested to find out, if a friendly US user could devote a little time to test it.

My motivation for making this patch was for people like me who've imported unlocked Droid3's from the US to other territories. It hadn't occurred to me that there are US GSM carriers too, which would make the patch useful to a much wider audience.

I'll try now!!
If you don't know us frequencies are
1700 MHz/2100 MHz
1900 MHz
, 850 MHz T-Mobile USA,
__
And at&t
850 MHz
1900 MHz
850 MHz
1900 MHz ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread