[APP][2.1+] FTP Server Ultimate - FTP, SFTP, FTPS server with multi-user, no-root

Search This thread

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for this great app but I having problem connecting to the internal ip. It'll only work to public ip and port forwarded. Any idea how to fix this?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, could you elaborate a bit on how you want to use it and how it doesn't work?

eanema

Dec 23, 2012
Nexus 4 / android 4.2

Hi I recently bought a nexus 4 running android 4.2. I really dislike the whole MTP thing so I decided to try out FTP server ultimate.

The app has an excellent interface and seems to be full of features. The problem is I can't seme to make use of it - I cannot connect to the SFTP server that I setup on my phone. I am attempting to connect to the phone over wifi from my desktop that is on the same subnet/local LAN. When I try to connect to the server from filezilla I get:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host".
Error: Could not connect to server

From past experience, typically what this means is that the port (in this case 2222) is being blocked by the OS firewall. Usually, taking down the firewall would open the port and the connection could proceed. Because this is an android phone, I have no idea how to poke a hole in the firewall or even if this IS infact the problem...

Any comments would be great :)

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Hi I recently bought a nexus 4 running android 4.2. I really dislike the whole MTP thing so I decided to try out FTP server ultimate.

The app has an excellent interface and seems to be full of features. The problem is I can't seme to make use of it - I cannot connect to the SFTP server that I setup on my phone. I am attempting to connect to the phone over wifi from my desktop that is on the same subnet/local LAN. When I try to connect to the server from filezilla I get:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host".
Error: Could not connect to server

From past experience, typically what this means is that the port (in this case 2222) is being blocked by the OS firewall. Usually, taking down the firewall would open the port and the connection could proceed. Because this is an android phone, I have no idea how to poke a hole in the firewall or even if this IS infact the problem...

Any comments would be great :)
Could you try running a normal ftp server without users and try to connect? Let me know whether anything show in the log of the server.
Also, are you sure your router/computer isn't blocking anything?

neo668

Nov 17, 2012
Thank you Themuzz for this great app. I've tried another quite popular filesharing app but it's not as reliable as FTP Server Ultimate. But I also have a couple of problems with FTP Server and I don't know whether it's the app or my phone.

I usually use FTP Server to backup files from my phone or transfer a ROM to the SD card of my phone. Sometimes it works really well without a hiccup. And quite often it will break connection in the middle of a transfer. Checking the phone and the app I would normally see the following errors:

(DMWBFC) - MKD error
426 Data socket error
Listening stopped
Error accepting/binding socket java.net
SocketException: Socket closed

How do I prevent the above errors and achieve a stable FTP connection? Thank you.

PS I think this could be a kernel problem. Please consider this solved.

Last edited:

i8ts

Feb 2, 2013
FTPS (SSL) connection problem

Hi was wondering how to get FTP Server Ultimate to work with SSL turned on.
I have a router and have no idea what the problem is but I can connect with SSL
turned off using regular FTP. Am going to guess I need passive port range to be opened in my router?
With various FTP servers on PC had to open passive ports.

Tried FileZilla, WinSCP, and Cute FTP. All good with no SSL but with SSL enabled they can't open a data connection.
Or an error similar to that like "server cant open data connection"

Just turned off passive ports in router for Cerberus FTP on PC. Tried to connect with AndFTP from phone. Could not
connect at all. No data connection error. Turned those ports back on in router and was in no problem.

Any help would be great on this matter :)

PS...am doing it all on home WiFi. Tried passive and active during SSL attempt...

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010
I have been trying to use FTP Server Ultimate to time my WiFi network connection to an Android device. After starting the server and logging into it from a desktop computer within that LAN, I try sending a test file with a command such as this:

Code:
ftp> put filename /dev/null

I have tried this test several ways. The best way for my test would be with a virtual file originated on a Linux client by using something like

Code:
ftp> put "| dd if=/dev/zero bs=1048576 count=1024" /dev/null

to generate a large virtual file on the client side and send it. But I also have tried sending ordinary physical files from the client box. I also have tried running FTP on a Windows client box with a physical test file. I have tried two different Android devices running FTP Server Ultimate, and on both the permissions for /dev/null are appropriate and stock.

Using /dev/null as the target on an FTP server is a common method to use FTP for testing network throughput without writing the physical file to disk on the server. The FTP server should just send the incoming stream to the /dev/null bit bucket.

But using FTP to send a file to /dev/null always returns an error status from the FTP Server Ultimate server:

Code:
451 Couldn't truncate file

No error is logged on the FTP Server Ultimate side as far as I can tell.

So the server basically fails to recognize /dev/null as a special file in the Android's Linux engine that can be written to. I think the server just sees that the "file" called /dev/null exists and tries to delete it first as if it were a regular file.

By any chance, are you using the GNU swiftp library under the hood? I find this 451 error string in their source code, which does seem to behave that way.

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010
I have been trying to use FTP Server Ultimate to time my WiFi network connection to an Android device. After starting the server and logging into it from a desktop computer within that LAN, I try sending a test file with a command such as this:

Code:
ftp> put filename /dev/null
But using FTP to send a file to /dev/null always returns an error status from the FTP Server Ultimate server:

I got this functionality working by substituting the append command for put.

Code:
ftp> append filename /dev/null

I still think put should work in general, since that is what is expected on other *nix-based FTP servers. (See, for example, this and this.)

But I can make do with append.

Last edited:

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
Apologies for the late reply, but to answer the questions:

@neo668 If the socket is closed that could happen by a bad connection (wifi or 3g) or it might be a kernel problem. It's unfortunately not something that can be changed, since Android handles sockets.

@i8ts So you enabled SSL with our built-in certificate? If so, you need to specify in the FTP client that you are using implicit ssl, otherwise you will get an error while connecting since the ftp client doesn't know SSL is required. Just have a look at the settings of the ftp clients (it works perfectly with filezilla).

@boomerbubba So you tried it with FTP or SFTP (ftp over ssh)? Anyway, great to hear it's fixed by changing the command :) Would be greatly appreciated if you could also leave a review on Play :)

More feedback is of course appreciated!

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010
@boomerbubba So you tried it with FTP or SFTP (ftp over ssh)? Anyway, great to hear it's fixed by changing the command :) Would be greatly appreciated if you could also leave a review on Play :)

I tested with FTP command-line client programs -- one on a Linux distro and another on a Windows XP box. Also used the Busybox FTP client on the same localhost as the FTP Server Ultimate is installed on. Always got the same "451 Couldn't truncate file" error from the server.

I never tried SFTP, nor saw the need for it since I am doing this all within my own private LAN.

BTW, I did try to leave feedback on Play, but Google Nazis now make one join Google+ to do that, which I refuse to do.

If I had left a review, it would have said this is a great app, but it would be better if I could select an option to restrict it to my LAN or WiFi. I do not care to expose my Android device to Internet FTP access just because I have local stuff to do. If that functionality is not easy to add, the next best thing would be to enable restricting to a local subnet or IP range such as 192.168.1.*, instead of specifying each individual IP on a whitelist.

Themuzz

Nov 24, 2007
@boomerbubba Apologies for the late reply, but the commands do work by substituting the append command for put? About the only listening on a specific network card, could you have a look at Servers Ultimate? It also has the same ftp server and allows for way more settings (like only listening on a specific network adapter).

Let me know.

andlid

Nov 29, 2009
Thank you Themuzz for this great app. I've tried another quite popular filesharing app but it's not as reliable as FTP Server Ultimate. But I also have a couple of problems with FTP Server and I don't know whether it's the app or my phone.

I usually use FTP Server to backup files from my phone or transfer a ROM to the SD card of my phone. Sometimes it works really well without a hiccup. And quite often it will break connection in the middle of a transfer. Checking the phone and the app I would normally see the following errors:

(DMWBFC) - MKD error
426 Data socket error
Listening stopped
Error accepting/binding socket java.net
SocketException: Socket closed

How do I prevent the above errors and achieve a stable FTP connection? Thank you.

PS I think this could be a kernel problem. Please consider this solved.

got the same problem, I use andftp client to transfer around 500 files to the ftp server. I re-enabled resume support on the andftp client and moved the devices away from eachother (they were very close). I use the tethering on my phone and use a Kindle CM10.2 Kindle Fire 7" with the server installed. I also created a new random port. Problem went away after. :good:

dietche

Nov 14, 2012
Can't access /mnt/shell folder with this ftp server app. On windows I get the error 550: The path is inaccessible

I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus.

Last edited:

mercxda

Sep 9, 2012
easy feature request : upload / download ratio
(user A can download X amount of data only if he has already uploaded Y amount of data)

;)

Pranav_999

May 15, 2008
Hello People. Sorry for opening this thread again but this does'nt work on My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT N7100 running on android 4.4.2. I tried setting up FTP Server Ultimate as per the instructions provided, but everytime I try to connect to the server through softwares like FileZilla, ios FTP Clients or even through the web browser, I'm getting this message : "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server". I tried using Servers Ultimate Pro, but the result is the same even when both the devices are on the same WiFi network. I am a noob as far as setting up such a server is concerned.

Last edited:

CrazyCypher

Oct 19, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I can access SD card but I cannot delete pictures for example... keeps saying I dont have permission or something, but I have resd/write, user/pass, everything... :/

Any help will be appreciated :)

kushfighter2

Jun 19, 2015
Observations made by a well wisher

hey, nice app you have made. Have experienced no problem except laggy launches after reboot sometimes..(my phone was angry)

anyways being a well wisher i have noticed that your paid app- port forwarder pro is being distributed(i think illegally)
on many sites . one is aptoide (sorry i cant post link, try to google port forwarder pro apk aptoide)

(sorry for spaces in between)

hope you can take action
(just asking, did you play war of nations? name seems to be familiar)

natong

Mar 7, 2008
My Lenovo K3 Note, Android 6.0, non-root can't write access to external SDcard. Eventhough I set home to external SDcard. So saddddddd.

Reactions: andacro

KRLES

Jun 27, 2007
Hi, to the SDCARD problem, you can solve it connecting via adb or SSH (you can use a Ultimate Server SSH, then "su") and next commands

pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimatepro android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimatepro android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packa android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packa android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packb android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packb android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packc android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packc android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packe android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
pm grant com.icecoldapps.serversultimate.packe android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Right now I can write in the SMB External Storage perfectly and i think I could write on the rest of the servers too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlike other FTP Server apps we have released an FTP Server with almost all the features you can think of. Some features FTP Server Ultimate has and most other apps don't have:

- Add multiple users: and give every user their own root, allow write access and force stay in given root directory
    - Run FTP server over SSL (FTPS Implicit) to have a secure connection
    - Or run FTP server over SSH (SFTP) to be even more secure! With even support for Secure Copy (SCP) and public key authentication.
    - Run multiple servers at the same time!
    - Extensive logging!
    - No root needed!

And more features:
    - Start/Stop a FTP server automatically when connected/disconnected from a specified WIFI network, or on boot
    - Optionally only allow specified IP addresses to access a FTP Server
    - Add a Dynamic DNS Updater using the local or public IP of your device
    - UTF-8 support
    - Optional anonymous access
    - The FTP Server can be accessed from the web (for example through your 3G connection) if supported by your mobile network
    - No more need for an USB cable
    - Share files with other devices

You can download it for free from Google Play (see the link below). I would appreciate it if you could leave a message stating what you think of the app, whether it works ok and whether you are missing anything. Quite some time has been put into it.

FTP Server Ultimate on Google Play

Video review by JIMMYMCGEE:
    XDA TV

FAQ

How come I can't run a server on a port below 1024?
    That is a limitation of Android. However, you can try out our app Port Forwarder Ultimate which allows you to access the server on a port below 1024! So you can for example run it on port 21.

All feedback is welcome!
    How to access from the web?
    I'm using it and it works great!
    Good to hear it works. About accessing from the web, you will need to use the public IP (visible under the info button on the start screen of the app). However, depending on your internet provider it might not work (some internet providers block it). If you use it through wifi you would need to enable port forwarding.

Are all of the same features present in your "servers ultimate " app?
    Yes, however, this app will be updated faster and is way less intensive to run on your device, since it's focused on FTP.

You're welcome :)

This got featured on the XDA portal!

Downloading and reviewing just for the sake of the hard work you put.
    I just read it on XDA, great article! And thanks for the reviewing, really appreciate it.

I'm having problems (Can't connect) using this with my Samsung GT-7100 Galaxy Note II.

I think is not an App problem but from the device. Every time i try to connect I'm getting this message : "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server"

Using other FTP Server and same result.

Never had this issue with my other device Galaxy S III.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks
    That sounds like a port forwarding problem. Do you try to access it through WIFI and are you with the client on the same WIFI network? Could you elaborate a bit?

It would be great if everyone who tries it let's me know whether it works ok and whether you are missing anything. Also, reviews on Android Play are of course welcome :)

Thanks!
    Once you can specify multiple SSIDs (or blank SSID meaning enable for any WiFi connection) against a single server config it'll be working for me ;)
    Ah yes, I know :) Will be included in the update :)
    My Lenovo K3 Note, Android 6.0, non-root can't write access to external SDcard. Eventhough I set home to external SDcard. So saddddddd.