Nexus 7 with 4.2 - Bluetooth issues

Search This thread

Thorvexx

Nov 7, 2012
I have tested tested tunein, Google Music and Youtube with no problems over my Sony MW 600 Stereo Bluetooth Headset(Bt 2.1+EDR).

I'd love to help, but the only far fetched advise I could give you is to change your wlan channel, and try again.

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
Wait, woah, stop the presses. When i connect to my phone, I have none of these issues. I am going to need to test more at home. It really is starting to look like more of a WiFi issue at this point, but it still makes no sense because it isn't a lack of buffer, and I have two separate APs at home that both exhibited the same symptoms. To be continued.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Have you checked "connect to device for internet access"?
I'm having no issues tethering to my HTC desire since upgrading to 4.2, but I did notice that i have to check this box every time that I connect via Bluetooth now.

This.. Bluetooth tethering is working for me, but I gotta check the box every time too. A dev is working with me that has the Bluetooth Auto Connect app, he sent me a test build earlier but I haven't had a chance to try it, been busy at work. I'll post if that fixes it for me.

I tether to my Galaxy Note running 4.1.2 BTW.

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
I spoke too soon on the audio. It does it no matter what I'm connected to. This is a farking disaster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

propagandax

Mar 14, 2008
My BT streaming is working but I have to repair the device anytime I need to reconnect.

Sent from my Nexus 7

MysteriousDiary

Dec 15, 2010
I did some other tests now.

I've started the classic Angry Birds and let the background music run over my bluetooth speaker. Everything was running fine. But as soon as there is any traffic over wifi (started a big download) the Bluetooth is stuttering like crazy. So it doesn't matter if the audio source comes from the cloud or the device itself, but as soon as wifi gets active blutooth goes crazy and begins to stutter. This is really weird.

robyr

Dec 21, 2007

I've started the classic Angry Birds and let the background music run over my bluetooth speaker. Everything was running fine. But as soon as there is any traffic over wifi (started a big download) the Bluetooth is stuttering like crazy. So it doesn't matter if the audio source comes from the cloud or the device itself, but as soon as wifi gets active blutooth goes crazy and begins to stutter. This is really weird.

I am trying to get in touch with the BT stack guys on the Android team. Something is bad, BAD wrong.

MysteriousDiary

Dec 15, 2010
I am trying to get in touch with the BT stack guys on the Android team. Something is bad, BAD wrong.

Thanks, I'm flashing back to 4.1.2 to go sure that the problem is gone then.

update: flashed the 4.1.2 factory image and everything is fine again. Bluetooth Audio works without any problem and I can switch the internet tethering between my N7 and GNex on again. Both doesn't work on 4.2.

Flashing back to 4.2 now to see the pain again :D

update2: As I thought. Back on 4.2 and the issues are there again. Bluetooth Audio is stuttering and tethering can't be enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: korynthian

sojodave

Nov 19, 2011
I am having problems when I stream to my Monster Clarity HD speaker when I am playing music stored locally. The music only skipped a few times on iHeartRadio.

chesterr

Nov 27, 2010
Galle
I can't use sixaxis controller to play games, it gives me the "load error" error and crashes the both wifi and bluetooth at the same time.
Hope there will be a fix.

robyr

Dec 21, 2007
Guys, please go star this bug here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633

And report your symptoms. Be thorough. One of the developers on Google+ said it was probably just me and my device, but that is obviously untrue. You have to report and star this bug for it to get any attention though. I am keeping on the development team through Google+ in the meantime.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
This.. Bluetooth tethering is working for me, but I gotta check the box every time too. A dev is working with me that has the Bluetooth Auto Connect app, he sent me a test build earlier but I haven't had a chance to try it, been busy at work. I'll post if that fixes it for me.

I tether to my Galaxy Note running 4.1.2 BTW.

BTW, Bluetooth Auto Connect has been fixed and dev says it's in the market now, should fix tethering on the Nexus 7 to another bluetooth device, if it previously was crashing and/or you had to manually click "Connect for internet" under BT settings.

ie: If it worked in 4.1.2, should work now again.

nolig2278

Mar 12, 2009
Pembroke Pines
After a restart and toggling Bluetooth on phone tablet and headset I was able to play Pandora almost completely skip free. But others have said skipping might come back

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

aeyara

Jan 16, 2012
I'm having Bluetooth issues as well. I tried connecting my keyboard to my nexus 7 but most of the time, it can't even locate it. It did once,briefly, but if didn't connect...

purudaya

Nov 14, 2012
I have tested tested tunein, Google Music and Youtube with no problems over my Sony MW 600 Stereo Bluetooth Headset(Bt 2.1+EDR).

I'd love to help, but the only far fetched advise I could give you is to change your wlan channel, and try again.

Yeah, I played the wlan channel game this morning - doesn't work. I've found that going into bluetooth settings, tapping settings for the connected device, and unchecking/re-checking "connect as media audio device" can occasionally fix the problem temporarily.

Very frustrating.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play

Bluetooth and wifi use the same frequency. They can interfere. Maybe changes to the WiFi stack have broken the anti-interference mechanism?

gasparine9

Feb 20, 2009
This may not work for everyone, but I was able to get mine to work (so far) without skipping

I went to Settings->Apps, then scrolled to "ALL" tab
Find "Bluetooth Share" and click it
Clear Data, then restart tablet

This worked for me. Google Music (from cloud), Youtube, etc.. do not skip anymore even when downloading stuff.

Edit: nevermind it started skipping again

Last edited:

RaySorian

Jul 7, 2010
Houston
I am testing this right now.

I am able to get audio from Audible book loaded on N7 to my Plantronic M1100, no problems. Headset is 2.1 EDR
Also, I have just paired my N7 with my work Lenovo X230 Laptop (Win 7) via BT, Audio is being played through with no issue and on screen controls on laptop are working. Laptop has a 4.0 chip built in.

Edit: Just installed Tunein radio, working on BT Headset and laptop still.
I just ran mine through an extended test, 4 hours of an audio-book via Audible on N7 to my Plantronics m1100, no issues. I did the manual upgrade to 4.2, if that helps anyone. I restarted my N7 after it upgraded only once so far, did not clear or reset anything before, during, or after.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, I've created that issue in the bug tracker. Please star it if you've the same issue. I'm now thinking of going back to 4.1 since I used this feature daily.
    Google is aware of this and it should be fixed in 4.2.2.
    What is working for me so far with limited testing:
    Unpair Bluetooth speaker
    Pair speaker again
    Clear Cache only in Bluetooth Share app (Settings/Apps/All/Bluetooth Share/Clear Cache)
    I am guessing that unpairing then repairing is what helped but I did the cache clear at the same time so I don't know if that step is needed but easy to do anyway.
    I have a stock unrooted Nexus 7 with Android 4.2.1 and a Monster Clarity HD speaker.
    Can anyone with a N7 and 4.2 confirm my issue?

I'm using the N7 everday to stream music from TuneIn, Google Music and Spotify to stream to my Bluetooth speakers. I never had issues with Android 4.1, but since 4.2 it's stuttering every few seconds. Especially when the content gets streamed over wifi and is not stored on the N7. To go sure that it's not just my wifi I tried it with my GNex and 4.1 and there I don't have this issue.
    I have the same issue. What's weird is that it's fine when playing through my creative bluetooth speakers in my kitchen but affects my philips fidelo bluetooth speakers in my bedroom!