Cracked Camera Glass. Another build quality issue?

Search This thread

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
That's Colonel Genius. If you are going to throw insults around, get the rank correct.

It's a discussion forum. If you don't like the results of said discussion, that's too bad.

I never said the phone didn't spontaneously combust in your hands, or your Hulk strength was too much for the puny little lens cover. What I did say was that accidental damage is the most likely cause, and it's the result you are going to get through normal channels. You might get lucky and get someone nice to help you, but it's not a documented flaw. This is the only website it's ever been mentioned on, and by claimants who are fairly unknown to people here at XDA.

Use Occam's Razor here and see what the results should be.

Never heard of col genius. Guess he out ranks capt obvious Lol. I have to agree with you over what you said. He has a cracked lens and a 2 year old. Its a very possible scenario that could be what happened to the phone. All it takes is 2 seconds and the kid already associates throwing a phone. So what would stop the kid from poking the lens. After all kids loves to poke. I am sure he lays his phone down and not takes it with him everywhere in the house. 99% of the time stuff don't spontaneously break.

Sent from my Infected HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HarveyTAS

Apr 24, 2013
That's Colonel Genius. If you are going to throw insults around, get the rank correct.

It's a discussion forum. If you don't like the results of said discussion, that's too bad.

I never said the phone didn't spontaneously combust in your hands, or your Hulk strength was too much for the puny little lens cover. What I did say was that accidental damage is the most likely cause, and it's the result you are going to get through normal channels. You might get lucky and get someone nice to help you, but it's not a documented flaw. This is the only website it's ever been mentioned on, and by claimants who are fairly unknown to people here at XDA.

Use Occam's Razor here and see what the results should be.

Your assumptions:
New forum users are untrustworthy
Users with the issue work for Samsung
Users with the issue have reckless abandon
Users with the issue must have caused the issue themselves, just to post about it.
Users with the issue have hulk like strength (guilty as charged)
HTC would never have any defects in any devices they have ever sold.
My kid can use telekinesis (Honestly haven't ruled this out)
Your some sort of Cononel and therefore everyone in this forum has to listen to you
I care what you have to say

My assumptions:
People who started this forum had an issue they were concerned enough about to post about it
Users used google to find this forum and posted as well if they experienced the issue
HTC may have some minor correctable issues with the first run of their product.
You have nothing better to do with your time.

Occam's razor says the one with the least assumptions wins...

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Never heard of col genius. Guess he out ranks capt obvious Lol. I have to agree with you over what you said. He has a cracked lens and a 2 year old. Its a very possible scenario that could be what happened to the phone. All it takes is 2 seconds and the kid already associates throwing a phone. So what would stop the kid from poking the lens. After all kids loves to poke. I am sure he lays his phone down and not takes it with him everywhere in the house. 99% of the time stuff don't spontaneously break.

You obviously do not have a 2 year old...

1. Yes, they are very inquisitive and would be careless with a phone... hence why I don't give my new device to her.
2. Poke? My two year old doesn't have the strength to push the buttons on the microwave without assistance, she could not push in the lens without it being made of tissue paper.
3. WTF is wrong with you people... why are you here? I never asked for your opinion, you continuously tell me I broke my own device... you have this evidence somewhere? Why can you not accept that someone might have a legitimate concern about a product. The phone has been out less than 2 weeks and it hasn't been selling gangbusters, so it might take some time before these issues crop up. The GS3's had their home button crack all the time... but that didn't show itself for a while. Does that mean the first guy with the problem is a careless a$$hole bent on destroying samsungs image? Get a grip... and a life while your at it.

Reactions: jcracken and ohraii

stevedebi

Sep 7, 2005
Los Angeles
2. Poke? My two year old doesn't have the strength to push the buttons on the microwave without assistance, she could not push in the lens without it being made of tissue paper.
3. WTF is wrong with you people... why are you here? I never asked for your opinion, you continuously tell me I broke my own device... you have this evidence somewhere? Why can you not accept that someone might have a legitimate concern about a product. The phone has been out less than 2 weeks and it hasn't been selling gangbusters, so it might take some time before these issues crop up. The GS3's had their home button crack all the time... but that didn't show itself for a while. Does that mean the first guy with the problem is a careless a$$hole bent on destroying samsungs image? Get a grip... and a life while your at it.

What is the build date of your phone? It should be on the box. It is entirely possible that the lens was put in there slightly crooked and hence broke.

HarveyTAS

Apr 24, 2013
What is the build date of your phone? It should be on the box. It is entirely possible that the lens was put in there slightly crooked and hence broke.

It's possible... nah I'm with the Colonel... it was probably my super human telekinetic daughter.

Hmm I do have the box here.. only IMEI / UPC / SN / PN / FCC ID / IC - No build date.

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
Your assumptions:
Users with the issue must have caused the issue themselves, just to post about it.
Your some sort of Cononel and therefore everyone in this forum has to listen to you

My assumptions:
People who started this forum had an issue they were concerned enough about to post about it
Users used google to find this forum and posted as well if they experienced the issue

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

You obviously do not have a 2 year old...

1. Yes, they are very inquisitive and would be careless with a phone... hence why I don't give my new device to her.

No I don't have a two year old but I have a 9 year old. So I think I know a think or two. Pushing microwave buttons is quite different to this lens that has no backing and as you said its very flimsy so a 2 year old should have no issues pushing it in.

Maybe you should look where you are at. You are in a message forum where people discuss stuff. You may not like what some people say but we all gone through that. Don't like what people say? Then pm a mod and have them close your account as this forum seems to not be for you.

This issue seems to be very rare for the amount of phones that has been sold and you know as popular this phone is they sold quite a few of them. If this lens is as flemsy as you and a few others says it is. Don't you think the there would be a lot more people posting about it cracking on them? This after all is one of the biggest forums around for electronic devices. So that's why many has doubts about your and others claims of faulty equipment.

So don't like the comments there's the door and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

HarveyTAS

Apr 24, 2013
No I don't have a two year old but I have a 9 year old. So I think I know a think or two. Pushing microwave buttons is quite different to this lens that has no backing and as you said its very flimsy so a 2 year old should have no issues pushing it in.

Maybe you should look where you are at. You are in a message forum where people discuss stuff. You may not like what some people say but we all gone through that. Don't like what people say? Then pm a mod and have them close your account as this forum seems to not be for you.

This issue seems to be very rare for the amount of phones that has been sold and you know as popular this phone is they sold quite a few of them. If this lens is as flemsy as you and a few others says it is. Don't you think the there would be a lot more people posting about it cracking on them? This after all is one of the biggest forums around for electronic devices. So that's why many has doubts about your and others claims of faulty equipment.

So don't like the comments there's the door and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

If you don't like people having legitimate issues with your precious status symbol then you don't even have to quit the forum, just start the: I <3 HTC and the world is a magical flawless place thread!

I own 3 HTC devices now, this is the only one I have issues with... my issue with the device is not your issue, congrats. Feel free wasting time bad mouthing people rather than just accepting the fact that a select few may be experiencing less than stellar build quality with their devices.

You aren't even using a One, so until you have one and have something useful to say I will ignore your useless input.

For everyone else... it does not appear that many are having this issue, so there is no need to panic or cancel orders... or even re-enforce the lens. I'm sure if the issue is common they will replace / repair the phone and the problem will go away.

Reactions: jcracken and ohraii

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
If you don't like people having legitimate issues with your precious status symbol then you don't even have to quit the forum, just start the: I <3 HTC and the world is a magical flawless place thread!

I own 3 HTC devices now, this is the only one I have issues with... my issue with the device is not your issue, congrats. Feel free wasting time bad mouthing people rather than just accepting the fact that a select few may be experiencing less than stellar build quality with their devices.

You aren't even using a One, so until you have one and have something useful to say I will ignore your useless input.

For everyone else... it does not appear that many are having this issue, so there is no need to panic or cancel orders... or even re-enforce the lens. I'm sure if the issue is common they will replace / repair the phone and the problem will go away.

Only bad mouthing I see is you. I guess you came on here thinking oh everyone will agree with me. Well sorry to disappoint you there. When you don't like what someone says you become insulting and resort to profane language. Ever think that's why people doesn't take your complaint seriously? I am sure your 2 year old acts more mature than you do. People has given many possibilities about how it cracked. What you have shown is you just want to bad mouth the phone / company.

So beings you have such insightful knowledge care to explain why so few has had their lens break beings you say its so flimsy and easy to break? I am sure they sold more than just 8 of them.

Reactions: Rick_1995

edub186

Jan 1, 2008
Some people hit the lotto. Some don't. Lol.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

HarveyTAS

Apr 24, 2013
Only bad mouthing I see is you. I guess you came on here thinking oh everyone will agree with me. Well sorry to disappoint you there. When you don't like what someone says you become insulting and resort to profane language. Ever think that's why people doesn't take your complaint seriously? I am sure your 2 year old acts more mature than you do. People has given many possibilities about how it cracked. What you have shown is you just want to bad mouth the phone / company.

So beings you have such insightful knowledge care to explain why so few has had their lens break beings you say its so flimsy and easy to break? I am sure they sold more than just 8 of them.

You really don't listen do you? I never bad mouthed HTC... not once! I said they may have a manufacturing issue, with possibility that they may want to revisit their material choice for the lens. That's all... well I did bad mouth you for fun, but it's just too easy.

Part of being mature is dealing with criticism, which you are unable to do. Some of the users do not know when their phones broke, so they can not say for sure what broke them... and cannot rule out some physical contact... in which they have the right to complain that they feel like the lens cover could be stronger to deal with day to day living especially in the first week where everyone babys their new devices.

My point of reference is a previous HTC phone the Evo 3d, which has taken abuse that I do not deny... it is fine. Yet a brand new device that I slapped into a tank like case cannot last a week... and I know within 20 mins of when it went from fine to broken and I was the only one in possession of the device... but no... you obviously know better... you must be that creepy guy hanging out in my bushes watching my every move. The guy at the phone store said: Wow, how the heck could that break... nothing can even hit it in that case. Yet you feel the need to debate with me about it, please tell me why? I'll take back all the snarky comments... just why?

Common sense... oxymoron on the internet... there is no sense and it's definitely not common to find it.

CocheseUGA

Jan 12, 2008
I'll take this point by point

What you think are my assumptions
New forum users aren't inherently untrustworthy. I trust their accusations less, which is how the Internet works
I don't believe I ever made that accusation. I find it curious that a majority of the people who are being very vocal about this joined within the last week. That's normal behavior.
What, are they prancing about the schoolyard?
I think there is going to be some level of people with this problem who caused this accidentally, without knowing they did it. Yes.
It's humor.
That can't be the case, because I've never owned a perfect phone, much less an HTC product. There are minor defects on my phone. Such is life.
I never mentioned your kid. Try to keep your argument streams from crossing.
My retort for your personal attacks. I am merely stating what is going to be the most likely response to your efforts to get your phone fixed.
I thought you might be able to discuss things in a reasonable manner. I was incorrect.

My assumptions:

No, I didn't have anything better to do with my time. At the time. I'm on the internet all day.

I also still don't believe that eight (are we up to eight yet) people in all the world, with XDA being the one and only (and first) search result cause this to be an inherent flaw in the device which is certainly not flaw free.

Dark Jedi

Sep 23, 2012
You really don't listen do you? I never bad mouthed HTC... not once! I said they may have a manufacturing issue, with possibility that they may want to revisit their material choice for the lens. That's all... well I did bad mouth you for fun, but it's just too easy.

Part of being mature is dealing with criticism, which you are unable to do. Some of the users do not know when their phones broke, so they can not say for sure what broke them... and cannot rule out some physical contact... in which they have the right to complain that they feel like the lens cover could be stronger to deal with day to day living especially in the first week where everyone babys their new devices.

My point of reference is a previous HTC phone the Evo 3d, which has taken abuse that I do not deny... it is fine. Yet a brand new device that I slapped into a tank like case cannot last a week... and I know within 20 mins of when it went from fine to broken and I was the only one in possession of the device... but no... you obviously know better... you must be that creepy guy hanging out in my bushes watching my every move. The guy at the phone store said: Wow, how the heck could that break... nothing can even hit it in that case. Yet you feel the need to debate with me about it, please tell me why? I'll take back all the snarky comments... just why?

Common sense... oxymoron on the internet... there is no sense and it's definitely not common to find it.

All you do is act like a child with your sarcastic remarks and swearing. You can't debate without feeling butt hurt. So when you can act rationally and objectively come on back. Until then I am tired of lowering myself to your childish level.

HarveyTAS

Apr 24, 2013
All you do is act like a child with your sarcastic remarks and swearing. You can't debate without feeling butt hurt. So when you can act rationally and objectively come on back. Until then I am tired of lowering myself to your childish level.

OK, no swearing (I did?) or butt hurt (my butt seems to be fine)...

WHY?

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

I'll take this point by point

What you think are my assumptions
New forum users aren't inherently untrustworthy. I trust their accusations less, which is how the Internet works
I don't believe I ever made that accusation. I find it curious that a majority of the people who are being very vocal about this joined within the last week. That's normal behavior.
What, are they prancing about the schoolyard?
I think there is going to be some level of people with this problem who caused this accidentally, without knowing they did it. Yes.
It's humor.
That can't be the case, because I've never owned a perfect phone, much less an HTC product. There are minor defects on my phone. Such is life.
I never mentioned your kid. Try to keep your argument streams from crossing.
My retort for your personal attacks. I am merely stating what is going to be the most likely response to your efforts to get your phone fixed.
I thought you might be able to discuss things in a reasonable manner. I was incorrect.

No, I didn't have anything better to do with my time. At the time. I'm on the internet all day.

I also still don't believe that eight (are we up to eight yet) people in all the world, with XDA being the one and only (and first) search result cause this to be an inherent flaw in the device which is certainly not flaw free.

>>>New forum users aren't inherently untrustworthy. I trust their accusations less, which is how the Internet works <<<

The fact that you would refer to these posts as accusations leads me to believe you have some vested interest in HTCs well being. It's fine to like a company or a product, but look at this with a little objectivity. I never launched a personal attack on HTC or their products, if I hated them, why would I have bought a One? Sure maybe I could have done with out the sarcasm and general snarky tone, but it doesn't answer the question of why you need to refute my claims in the first place? Did you design the lens cover or something?

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

They also sold a lot of Toyotas before the gas pedal got stuck down and drove grandma daisy through the front window of a Starbucks....

CocheseUGA

Jan 12, 2008
>>>New forum users aren't inherently untrustworthy. I trust their accusations less, which is how the Internet works <<<

The fact that you would refer to these posts as accusations leads me to believe you have some vested interest in HTCs well being. It's fine to like a company or a product, but look at this with a little objectivity. I never launched a personal attack on HTC or their products, if I hated them, why would I have bought a One? Sure maybe I could have done with out the sarcasm and general snarky tone, but it doesn't answer the question of why you need to refute my claims in the first place? Did you design the lens cover or something?

No vested interest. I don't really particularly care for HTC and the decisions they've made. I chose the S3 over the One X. Two weeks ago, the only HTC phone I ever owned was a Hermes (which I still have, and while not the most fantastic phone in the world, still works really well).

As to why people would be skeptical in the extreme, you have be aware of current events. There was someone in the T-Mobile forum that felt the need to warn the world that the phone didn't have a removable battery...after he ordered it. Not normal behavior, not for XDA.

I'm fully aware that the phone isn't perfect. It also isn't a good analogy to compare previous HTC phones because this is an all-new manufacturing process, as it pertains to the body, camera and speakers. I hope you do get yours replaced, and that this is a one-off thing (which is what I think it probably is). It would be good CS. However, odds are that you won't. It's just the reality of the situation.

HarveyTAS

Apr 24, 2013
No vested interest. I don't really particularly care for HTC and the decisions they've made. I chose the S3 over the One X. Two weeks ago, the only HTC phone I ever owned was a Hermes (which I still have, and while not the most fantastic phone in the world, still works really well).

As to why people would be skeptical in the extreme, you have be aware of current events. There was someone in the T-Mobile forum that felt the need to warn the world that the phone didn't have a removable battery...after he ordered it. Not normal behavior, not for XDA.

I'm fully aware that the phone isn't perfect. It also isn't a good analogy to compare previous HTC phones because this is an all-new manufacturing process, as it pertains to the body, camera and speakers. I hope you do get yours replaced, and that this is a one-off thing (which is what I think it probably is). It would be good CS. However, odds are that you won't. It's just the reality of the situation.

If you follow my posts you would have known that I did not come here to tell people not to buy the phone, I only asked if other people had the same issue and if they had theories on how it was damaged. If you had said: That is unfortunate, hopefully they will replace your device and not immediately disregard it as physical damage. Then, all of this useless banter could have been avoided.

I am glad we are on the same page now.

Reactions: CocheseUGA

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
I wonder if these lenses come from their source packed in a tube, with crappy plastic spacers between them?

Anybody see where I'm going with that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it seem like has been hit by a bullet , maybe HTC One saved your life !
    The do not believe that I should be held responsible for this glass. It should point to the fact that the glass might have been fractured slightly so that slight pressure pushed it in from the beginning.

The argument is that I have used this phone for 3 days, taking exceptional care of it, and ended up with a cracked camera glass as opposed of my previous phone, which I used for 2 years and doesn't have a dent in its plastic, let alone cracked glass.

Also, why be so offensive Mr insomnia? Is the fact that the One's build quality is way lower than expected hurting your fanboy heart?
    Not to barge in but:

White Samsung Galaxy S III back cover cracking for no reason [source]

Samsung Galaxy S Camera lens cracking for no reason [source]

Samsung Galaxy S III screen cracking in pocket [source]

HTC 8X len cracked for no reason [source]

Nokia Lumia 900 dust under lens for no reason [source]

iPhone 4 camera lens disappears for no reason [source]

My Point: the issue is mass production, any phone could have this issue or similar ones. Under the right conditions anything breaks. However I am also not ruling out we may have a material issue. But I also want to note, manufactures use a lot of the same components and use the same factory (Foxxcon is quite popular) to make the phones. So saying I am gonna buy another brands phone because they aren't gonna have any issues is just not being realistic. Its usually the luck of the draw. Only thing you can do is pray it holds up to be honest.
    Hi OP,

I had exactly the same problem. My unit was only a day old with not a single blemish anywhere on the handset besides the crack on the camera. In fact I'm fairy certain it cracked whilst resting on my table which I found to be very odd. Anyway I did manage to get a replacement with very little hassle.

A note to some other users:

In an incident such as this the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement or a repair depending how old the item is since purchase. There is even further statutory protection specifically under the sale of goods act. This is an expensive (£500) phone and as such it's quality and durability should be commensurate to the price paid. Thus if the OP can establish the crack happened without having dropped the phone or damaging the phone in some other way then he will be entitled to a replacement which seems likely as there are no other scratches or dents anywhere else on the unit.

I am open to listening to others' opinions but should stress that I am a lawyer and therefore am quite knowledgable on matters such as this.
    Please don't compare HTC to apple they are way out of their league in customer service and quality control. HTC probably have the worst assembly quality on earth. The HTC one x had a million issues now the HTC one also does and the funny thing is the htc one is a very expensive premium device, people want what they pay for. This is one reason why I like Nokia their devices don't break easily unlike HTC devices which get scraches just by some pocket lint or sand. They need to up their game or people will not trust them and will buy other devices.

People keep saying don't buy the first batch becuase they all have some form of defect, why should'nt they? It's not our problem if their first batch have issues it's theirs, other companies also have defects like HTC but not to their large extent especially when they make fewer devices compared to apple who sell millions. The people who buy the first batch are the ones who anticipate for the handsets launch and who preorder it known as loyal customers and for them to receive defects is really poor. I feel sorry for all those people who have spent their hard earned money on expensive defected phones which then took them another week or month to get a replacement while other people who buy from Sony, samsung and apple are to busy enjoying their flawless devices. :(

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app