[Q] OTA 4.4 back to 4.3

Search This thread

sponge14

Jul 12, 2007
Can someone help me take my S4 back to 4.3? I got the OTA update for 4.4 yesterday morning and have had nothing but problems. Terrible battery life (40% down in 3 hours with little to no use) WiFi wont turn on thanks to this piece of junk Knox software. So before I dump Samsung completely for a Moto X or Nexus, can someone help me downgrade from 4.4 back to 4.3 where I had no problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

aypanthony

Sep 7, 2010
Were you totally stock before the OTA? If you still have warranty left, I would bring it in to a Sprint store and *****.

If not, you can try one of 2 things. 1) flash the NAE tar file using odin to see if that fixes your issues or 2) flash the MK2 tar file to bring you back to 4.3

Last edited by a moderator:

sponge14

Jul 12, 2007
Were you totally stock before the OTA? If you still have warranty left, I would bring it in to a Sprint store and *****.

If not, you can try one of 2 things. 1) flash the NAE tar file using odin to see if that fixes your issues or 2) flash the MK2 tar file to bring you back to 4.3

I went Cyanogen at one point, didn't like it, and flashed back to stock. When the OTA hit I was rooted but had made no changes from stock, not even an uninstall of a Samsung app. I am backing things up now to flash the NAE again, but I want a version without this Knox garbage in it. Is there such thing?

I read that you can't flash back with Odin from 4.4 to 4.3 so I don't know how to do option 2 at this point.

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
I went Cyanogen at one point, didn't like it, and flashed back to stock. When the OTA hit I was rooted but had made no changes from stock, not even an uninstall of a Samsung app. I am backing things up now to flash the NAE again, but I want a version without this Knox garbage in it. Is there such thing?

I read that you can't flash back with Odin from 4.4 to 4.3 so I don't know how to do option 2 at this point.

You're correct with not being able to go back to mk2 4.3 via Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

aypanthony

Sep 7, 2010

Yeah, I think you are right. Can't go back to 4.3 once you have the 4.4 bootloader, my bad. I wonder if you should do a factory reset to see if that clears up your issues.

GalaxyBlaze7438

Jul 2, 2012
Appleton
I had the same issues when I updated and was kinda pissed at it to but a factory reset and it been running way better ever since and I'm rooted with xposed installed and no complaints

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

VandyCWG

I believe once KNOX Bootloader has been installed, your stuck with it. No going back.

But honestly, if you root 4.4, your gonna void KNOX.

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
i have gone back to 4.3 with odin.....use odin 1.85.....*First flash the mk2 modem or it will fail**.....why? i dont know...

so here is what i do....1) Odin first the mk2 modem...2) Odin stock Mk2 rom...3) Odin philz latest recovery...4) boot into recovery..goto philz settings and tap " re-root....5) reboot and enjoy.....

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
i have gone back to 4.3 with odin.....use odin 1.85.....*First flash the mk2 modem or it will fail**.....why? i dont know...

so here is what i do....1) Odin first the mk2 modem...2) Odin stock Mk2 rom...3) Odin philz latest recovery...4) boot into recovery..goto philz settings and tap " re-root....5) reboot and enjoy.....

You're saying your bootloader went back to MK2 after this? Didn't think that was possible. I've had nothing but stupid little issues myself after using Odin to flash the phone to NAE. I've done factory resets... Completely wiped the phone in Philz. Tried KToonsez kernel as well and stock NAE just sux! I'll probably just flash Liquid Smooth back on it, was only trying to stick with stock NAE for stability and camera , that phone is my girls and she doesn't have the patience for all the bugs that come with custom Roms lol

Anyways just want to confirm that with you. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TAMARETTE

Mar 24, 2011
Belton

I don't know if that is possible for those of us rocking triband. Obviously we cannot use the Mk2 modem or rom. In any event, I upgraded to 4.4.2 on my new L720T and regretted it, but now I'v" managed to install twrp and rooted it and the rom settled down after a few days. At first, horrible battery use but now its amazing. My battery reads 75 percent after 14 hours and that's quite good enough. The only issue I still face is the SD card thing, but that only seems to apply third party software as I can move files directly from internal to external memory using the stock files app that comes with android.

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
i dont know about triband. i dont have one and im not going to pretend im a smart dev because thats also not true.. i HAVE ODIN 4.4.2 THEN turned around and ODIN 4.3 due to something i didnt like...im not sure if it changes the bootloader or not, i dont even check. i have only tried this with mk2 to nae.. when i purchesed my device it came with mk2 so i have never tinkerd with the other bootloaders. if you have something other then mk2 id ask a dev befor doing anything. like i said it works for me as long as i flash the modem FIRST that corrisponds to the build. ( mk2 or nae )...and in some cases if the wifi is borked on nae, iv had to flash the modem again after instalation of the rom.. i cant explain why any of this happens....

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
i dont know about triband. i dont have one and im not going to pretend im a smart dev because thats also not true.. i HAVE ODIN 4.4.2 THEN turned around and ODIN 4.3 due to something i didnt like...im not sure if it changes the bootloader or not, i dont even check. i have only tried this with mk2 to nae.. when i purchesed my device it came with mk2 so i have never tinkerd with the other bootloaders. if you have something other then mk2 id ask a dev befor doing anything. like i said it works for me as long as i flash the modem FIRST that corrisponds to the build. ( mk2 or nae )...and in some cases if the wifi is borked on nae, iv had to flash the modem again after instalation of the rom.. i cant explain why any of this happens....

Lol I know what you mean... Sometimes things just seem to work or they don't.
But that's interesting you can go back to mk2 after being on nae. I figured that was not possible. But if you didn't get any fails in Odin while downgrading that's great. Maybe I'll get ballsy and try this later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sponge14

Jul 12, 2007
Is there a stock 4.4 Rom out there I can try, preferably one without Knox? Sprint has recommended that I unroot, that they have a tech bulletin where rooted phones have wifi, and other issues.