Build Quality Concerns

Search This thread

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Yeah that's happening!!!..... It's annoying,
I push it down and it will creep back up.

I agree. Check out the teardown Videos on YouTube. The Grill is just a self adhesive sticky.
If you have good phone keep and try to ask for a new grill from HTC. Or take it off and find a better adhesive.

First step of disassembly is to pry the grills off.

Reactions: amitoj96

nycebo

Sep 15, 2010
New York, NY
Following on another post's recommendation to post purchase locations: HTC M8 GPE version, second batch (first batch was out of inventory quick, and I'm told they're on the third batch now). Everything perfect.

Eiad Ajam

Jul 24, 2012
Homs
guys im gonna buy the device
which color is the most scratch resistance ? is the gray one can be easily scratched ?
what about the lens ?

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
My luck with the M8 is horrible.

My first one, the only issue was the speaker grill, but wanting a perfect phone, I had it exchanged.

Second phone, it has 3 dead pixels, and a loose volume rocker, which AT&T sent a replacement for.

The third one? Two dead pixels on the black bar for the touch buttons, and one on the top right, plus a completely sunk in power button. Passed rigorous certification.... Suuuure.

Kinda PO'd about this, but I love my M8 too much to give it up.... For now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hobs94

May 13, 2014
My luck with the M8 is horrible.

My first one, the only issue was the speaker grill, but wanting a perfect phone, I had it exchanged.

Second phone, it has 3 dead pixels, and a loose volume rocker, which AT&T sent a replacement for.

The third one? Two dead pixels on the black bar for the touch buttons, and one on the top right, plus a completely sunk in power button. Passed rigorous certification.... Suuuure.

Kinda PO'd about this, but I love my M8 too much to give it up.... For now.

I haven't had any issues with mine. Let's hope it stays that way.

The power button and volume rockers could be a little bit better but that's just a nitpick tbh

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
I haven't had any issues with mine. Let's hope it stays that way.

The power button and volume rockers could be a little bit better but that's just a nitpick tbh

True, I don't care too much for the power button and volume rocker as long as they work (which makes me feel dumb for giving up the first phone, when the only thing wrong was the speaker grill, but oh well), but the dead pixels.... No.

Wonder how many more replacements I'm going to have to go through until I get a phone without dead pixels.

Jr6278

Apr 26, 2014
I have a suggestion, can people start mentioning where they got their phone from. I haven't had a problem with my Verizon htc one m8 and was wondering whether they all have the same build quality or if lower build quality go to unlocked international variants.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

I have the Verizon version and I have to replace it after 1 month because the microphone stopped working only speakerphone works. Does anyone know if Verizon sends refurbished phones if it's still under warranty if so should I contact htc directly

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
My M8 have only the issue with the volume rocker is a little bit loose(not like my first N5) other than that is perfect, no dead pixels, no adhesive on the speaker grills etc. Definitely with what I heard I'm not going to change it .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

hemal_s33

Feb 16, 2011
and the saga continues from M7.. it also had similar issues what M8 users are finding here..
I exchanged more than 10 phones M7s till got a perfect Silver one.. Skeptical if I should upgrade to M8 now or wait till build quality issues are sorted out.

sent from my htc one using tapatalk

krispy1

Apr 28, 2011
Toronto
The only HTC device I have owned is the original Desire. Still works to this day but it did have some issues, screen bleeding and back cover texture peeled off.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
The only HTC device I have owned is the original Desire. Still works to this day but it did have some issues, screen bleeding and back cover texture peeled off.

Huh :confused: Do you have an M8 now that has the same problem with bleeding screen and texture peeling off? Else I can't see why this post has any relevance to the HTC One M8:confused::confused::confused:

references

Sep 21, 2008
Pfft.. I've never had a scratch on a screen before and i have owned only htc phones after I got my htc diamond.. And now i got 5 small scratches on my screen.. Seems like I got a lot of dust on front facing camera and the coating in the lens is all scratched up.. I hope the tempered glass protection will hide those scratches on the screen but it won't cover the front facing camera.. I'll test later with my m8's m8 if the picture quality has gotten worse from the scratches..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
Anyone else experience a cracked lens cover? I've not dropped mine but it's cracked

I might not be cracked actually. There have been reports of the coating of the lens coming off giving the appearance of cracking. On suggested option was to remove the coating entirely using various different methods (e.g. toothpaste etc)

Rotten Ross

Aug 11, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I might not be cracked actually. There have been reports of the coating of the lens coming off giving the appearance of cracking. On suggested option was to remove the coating entirely using various different methods (e.g. toothpaste etc)

to be honest I believe it is actually cracked looking at it, also when taking pictures in bright light you can see a glare where the light hit's the crack. also called the UK service centre, they said that I will have to send it in to be looked at and that they couldn't give me a price on the phone. Also it might not be covered by their warranty even though I've not dropped it. so it looks like I will be footing the bill. any idea how much it costs?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure how you see this as a "Troll thread"? - OP is asking for feedback and if anyone else has or had concerns regarding build quality issues.

----------------

My HTC One (Red) was pretty solid, however I feel any issues that the One may of had were probably Ironed out by the time the red was released into the wild. - Hopefully HTC will come back with a big bang, like Nokia they've been around a long time.. Just wondering now when the Samsung buzz will wear off and people start to choose stylish, good looking, feature orientated devices over a plastic device. (Not flaming Samsung, as I've had an S3 and an N3)

And everyone knows these types of threads draw out every single device basher which gives a false representation of the actual prevalence of build quality issues.

That said, name just one device that didn't have any.

As for my HTC experience, the One has been a dream... The rest of them all had a lot of issues. If the M8 follows the M7, there won't be any issues. The ONLY complaint I had about my M7 is the camera tint when not in good lighting that came up and got worse the longer I had the phone.

Speakers? Perfect
    Gap? None
    Display? Perfect
    Durability? Incredible.

If you look in my signature, I've had a ton of HTC devices. Among them, there were some really bad ones. The Sensation? Damn thing got so hot that it would reboot if I used the GPS which made it useless for navigating anywhere. MyTouch 4G? Every time I would restart the device, it would lose its internal storage and act like I factory reset it - it was doing that out of the box. PPC-6800? I lost track of the issues between the screen, overheating, freezing, cracked camera - I replaced it through Sprint 5 times before they gave me a Touch Pro in exchange for it. The original Touch? The screen stopped responding. The Hero? The display cracked even though there was no damage to the glass - the whole thing randomly shattered internally one day.

After the Sensation, I vowed never to go HTC again. Then I got the S4 and my roommate got the One. He couldn't get used to the One coming from the S3 so he wanted to trade me, I did it and I never looked back.
    That should be called the trolls thread!

Sent from my HTC One using XDA premium

Not sure how you see this as a "Troll thread"? - OP is asking for feedback and if anyone else has or had concerns regarding build quality issues.

----------------

My HTC One (Red) was pretty solid, however I feel any issues that the One may of had were probably Ironed out by the time the red was released into the wild. - Hopefully HTC will come back with a big bang, like Nokia they've been around a long time.. Just wondering now when the Samsung buzz will wear off and people start to choose stylish, good looking, feature orientated devices over a plastic device. (Not flaming Samsung, as I've had an S3 and an N3)
    I refuse to read this thread.. I have found nothing wrong with my device and am afraid if I do read it I'll start to find tons of issues pointed out by everyone :p I'm taking control of my ocd

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    And fwiw sometimes these threads cause people to look at their device so closely and see they have the same thing and then it bothers them. Had they never come across a thread like this they probably wouldn't have noticed (the small imperfections not big defects)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    For $700 you better be getting the phone as advertised. If you aren't contempt with the device at that cost you have every right to want a non defective one.