DROID 4 Utility Pre-Release [WINDOWS]

Search This thread

sjcivic87

Mar 24, 2011
i know this is easy to do, but can someone post some 1-2-3 quick easy steps just to root? everyone keeps saying they bricked there phone and i don't want to be that person lol

Briteyez83

Nov 27, 2011
Port Orchard, WA
http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-4/155397-root-how-root-droid-4-a.html

This link gives you directions on how to root. GL
:D

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I soft bricked my first one within a few days of buying it. I bought my D4 7 days after the release date but didnt know that at the time. As long as you just root and not flash a ROM you'll be safe from turning your D4 into a paperweight. Im just rooted cause i couldnt handle all the bloatware and wanted to get rid of things and you have to be rooted to have TB.

Reactions: kapitankoz

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-4/155397-root-how-root-droid-4-a.html

This link gives you directions on how to root. GL
:D

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I soft bricked my first one within a few days of buying it. I bought my D4 7 days after the release date but didnt know that at the time. As long as you just root and not flash a ROM you'll be safe from turning your D4 into a paperweight. Im just rooted cause i couldnt handle all the bloatware and wanted to get rid of things and you have to be rooted to have TB.

They could also use the utility which has the same exploit by Dan Rosenberg ;)

Reactions: Briteyez83

Briteyez83

Nov 27, 2011
Port Orchard, WA
Without fastboot files, no, this will not unbrick you. They still haven't been released for the D4.

Ya, unfortunatly he is right. :( I got my D4 a week after it was released, hashcode hadnt even developed the D4 safestrap yet and i decided to push my luck and flash that artic ROM. Endednup with a paperweight 3 days after i bought the dang thing. Im just rooted(needed TB for bloatware removal) and have safestrap for now while im waiting for fastboot and ROMs to become more stable. Which is the safest route to go if you get a new D4. GL to you

ricpdjrr

Feb 8, 2010

This is my first time rooting and I have a few questions..
I have just installed MotorolaDeviceManager_2.2.28.exe
I have a droid 4 running 2.3.6 and DO NOT want ICS. and DO NOT want to flash a rom
My laptop is running windows xp 2002 sp3

1a. Is this the correct utility if i do not want ICS?

1b. I am downloading the utility now, is there anything i should back up before running the utility?

2. I read that safestrap is not needed if i do not want to flash a rom. is this still the case?(If it is even available yet)

3. what does the rootkeeper app do and do i need it?

4. what is overclocking and do I need It?

5. Given the above info what items in the utility should I select?

6. After I root will I be able to unroot and still be able to get warranty service/replacement from Motorola?

I just want to make sure I do it right...

I really appreciate any info you can supply....... Rich

Last edited:

nabour

Nov 28, 2012
Flagstaff
Please tell me how to use this utility

I am not new to rooting, but I don't understand how to use this utility. I have a Droid4 that needs to become "unrooted" and restored to factory so I can send it back to Verizon.

Just want to ask how this utility works. Do I download it to PC and then flash the zip file using my Clockwork Recovery? Or is this a totally different system.

Thanks for any help.
Barbara

Briteyez83

Nov 27, 2011
Port Orchard, WA
I am not new to rooting, but I don't understand how to use this utility. I have a Droid4 that needs to become "unrooted" and restored to factory so I can send it back to Verizon.

Just want to ask how this utility works. Do I download it to PC and then flash the zip file using my Clockwork Recovery? Or is this a totally different system.

Thanks for any help.
Barbara

I went on a search for you.....enjoy. :D

I think you are right on with factory resetting ICS and then uninstalling safestrap. I believe mattlegroff's utility has an option to unroot. I think you may have to manually uninstall superuser though.

Edit: Just saw this on XDA. Thanks to greekchampion04 on XDA for this:

"as for removing safestrap... in looking through the menus i see that you can disable safestrap by

boot into safestrap
- advanced
- disable safestrap

then boot into stock recovery
wipe everything

plug into windows with USB and the utility
do the un-root function

and then you should be back to complete, ready to send to vzw, stock."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED PAGE!

Back with another utility... this time pre-release Droid 4! I haven't seen a Droid 4 board yet so I guess I have to put this under General.

There are no fastboot files as of writing this (2/11/2012) but once they come out I will be making a full version that includes fastboot restore. For now, only a few MB compared to GB full.

Includes Root function thanks to Dan Rosenberg's motofail exploit.
    It is the only reason we can have a working utility root!

Donate to his fund for the Red Cross here

Note to all: I am giving control of the Droid 4 Utility to skylarmb (Although I will still be very involved ;) )

Don't use Safestrap yet!
    Hashcode is making a D4 version very soon!

Motorola Drivers (If its not working install this.)
    32 Bit Link: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...al_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0.exe
    64 Bit Link: http://goo-inside.me/apps/mattlgroff/Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.4.0_64bit.msi

sylMG.png

Size: 2.09 MB
    MD5: 8b44666a5d97137292ec03e74f8b75d7
    Link: http://goo-inside.me/apps/mattlgroff/Droid4Utility0.3.zip

Changes in 0.3----

Enjoy~!

If you feel like contributing to my Razr Dev fund you may do so here. ;)

Screenshot of what the folder should look like in order for it to run:
    NDE0J.jpg
    I have ADB 1.0.26 (at least that is what it says when I go to Start>Run>CMD>and type in adb.

Is there anything else I need to get the phone rooted? Any other drivers or anything along those lines. I know the phone needs to be in development mode, but I want to make sure all of the other software on the computer end is up-to-date since I've had a G1, Mytouch Slide 3G, G2, and Droid 3 before picking up this Droid 4.

You'll need the latest Motorola drivers. I will add links in the OP
    Apparently i did install safestrap, i forgot that i did. And the factory/data reset did uninstall everything but the damn safestrap. I have the developer of safestrap as a contact on google talk so ill ask him and then post how to do so for future referencing.
    Droid 4 Utility change of developer!

Hello all, Im taking over updating the Droid 4 Utility

This way mattlgroff has a little less work on his hands and can focus more on IMPORTANT things like bootloaders, ICS, etc...

Thanks!

The Droid 4 Utility is also now available for Mac and Linux! Look for the thread in the Droid 4 Android Development section!
    hey so Im a ****ing idiot, I didn't try calling anyone from my contacts on my phone when I got it, was just busy rooting and syncing . basicly I have this really random contact error where I can dial a number no problem..but if I go into contacts and click a name my contacts FC. I didn't root with this but Verizon tech said they would give me a new phone....so if I unroot..vzw will still take it back?

If you didn't change anything while rooted you should be fine. Not sure why Verizon wouldn't take it back if you unrooted it. The unroot "may" not uninstall superuser, I need to release a patch publicly to fix it. It definitely would if you used this utility though.

The necessary patched file is here