Hangouts SMS/over Hangout

Search This thread
J

justinisloco

I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the default in hangouts to stop an attempted text from going automatically to a Hangout rather than SMS.

For example, my gf has hangouts on her tablet, but not on her iPhone. When I go to click her name from the list, it will automatically default to a hangout. Now she won't ever get the hangout because she never used the nexus tablet. But I can't change it to SMS. Is there a way from hangouts to stop automatically "looking up the contact" and deal directly with SMS until its ready for primetime?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Make sure you send as sms instead of hangout. Like say you have John Smith as a contact. You have both his Google+ name and his phone number, when you create new make sure you hit send SMS to john smith. If you have just phone numbers it automatically goes to SMS

J

justinisloco

Make sure you send as sms instead of hangout. Like say you have John Smith as a contact. You have both his Google+ name and his phone number, when you create new make sure you hit send SMS to john smith. If you have just phone numbers it automatically goes to SMS

Thanks. I started to learn that myself, but is there a way to stop it from automatically happening? Or should I just get used to this new way of SMS until all androids use hangouts as sms?

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Thanks. I started to learn that myself, but is there a way to stop it from automatically happening? Or should I just get used to this new way of SMS until all androids use hangouts as sms?

It won't automatically happen when you create the SMS message it will always go to the SMS number.

I don't think androids will use hangouts specifically because people like me use different apps, I use textra for example because I absolutely hated trying to send pictures in hangouts. You could only send one, it had to be first and it was just not a good experience for me.

raptir

May 4, 2010
If you start typing the person's name in the search box it should come up with their Hangouts contact as well as their phone number. It just seems to prioritize Hangouts.