External USB storage working with XBMC

Search This thread

zektor

Mar 3, 2010
Here is a full guide I wrote for those who need it, but the quick version is to mount your external storage using StickMount and then navigate to "External Storage -> USBStorage -> sda1" from within XBMC. Files show up and play smoothly.

I have used stickmount in the past (actually purchased it) and this is what I was waiting for. As long as storgae can be mounted, it will be selectable in not only XBMC, but emulators, etc. Now I can buy the FireTV :) Thanks for confirming!

garvani

Apr 19, 2011
Is there automount? When plugging in a usb to my nexus 7 with stickmount installed it automounts the usb drive.

garvani

Apr 19, 2011
No, it does not automount. You have to manually mount the drive from within StickMount.

I gathered that from your instructions.

The question was more as to why there isn't automount. Will have to investigate that as it seems backwards that my 2 year old copy of stickmount will automount whereas this one doesn't, having to perform all those steps is a bit annoying every time you plug in a usb drive..

Thanks for the write up though.

fireTVnews.com

Jun 6, 2014
www.fireTVnews.com
I gathered that from your instructions.

The question was more as to why there isn't automount. Will have to investigate that as it seems backwards that my 2 year old copy of stickmount will automount whereas this one doesn't, having to perform all those steps is a bit annoying every time you plug in a usb drive..

Thanks for the write up though.

I don't think it's an issue with SickMount not having the feature. I've tried 2 other USB mounting apps, both explicitly advertise auto mounting. While they both were able to mount the USB drive, neither of them auto mounted.

As for manual mounting being annoying, all you really need to do is load StickMount and click "Mount". The drive gets mounted to the same place, so all your apps (including XBMC) only need to be setup once.

modelworks

Feb 16, 2014
I don't think it's an issue with SickMount not having the feature. I've tried 2 other USB mounting apps, both explicitly advertise auto mounting. While they both were able to mount the USB drive, neither of them auto mounted.

All that is needed is a script to run in the background and look for the event. The firetv already detects the drive correctly on connection, look in dmesg and you will see something like below when I plugged in a usb hard drive.

Code:
sb 4-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using msm_hsusb_host
usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=14cd, idProduct=6116
usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=2
usb 4-1: Product: USB Mass Storage Device
usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Generic
usb 4-1: SerialNumber: 116AC2101219
scsi0 : usb-storage 4-1:1.0
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access        Mass  Storage Device        PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 156301486 512-byte logical blocks: (80.0 GB/74.5 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page present
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

treqie

Jun 18, 2014
Empty folder

All I get with stickmount on my external drive is an empty folder, which I assume has something to do with it having EXT3? I tried a usb-stick with ntfs, and it worked. Or am I missing something?

treqie

Jun 18, 2014
All I get with stickmount on my external drive is an empty folder, which I assume has something to do with it having EXT3? I tried a usb-stick with ntfs, and it worked. Or am I missing something?

Also, I mounted this manually, which works. So I thought I could put this into vold.fstab and ditch stickmount, but when saving, it says the system is read only?

roligov

Dec 29, 2012
London
Also, I mounted this manually, which works. So I thought I could put this into vold.fstab and ditch stickmount, but when saving, it says the system is read only?

Yes you need to remount the system with write access...

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
Check if it was mounted in read-write mode (rw):
Code:
mount | grep system
Should return
Code:
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
Now go make your changes then once done remount it as read-only again:
Code:
mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system

Last edited:

treqie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes you need to remount the system with write access...

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system
Check if it was mounted in read-write mode (rw):
Code:
mount | grep system
Should return
Code:
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
Now go make your changes then once done remount it as read-only again:
Code:
mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system

Yes, I just figured that out. But I'm stuck with how it should be in vold.fstab.

Code:
dev_mount usbdisk /storage/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0
That's what I found when googling, but that doesn't work. Not sure if there's anything specific to firetv, that should be changed.

Esso1001

Apr 5, 2014
Has anybody had success with downloading apps and games directly to the usb mount? Is it possible yet to substitute the usb slot for the main storage on the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TriOptimum

Jun 9, 2014
Pretty sure that will require a custom kernel, i know on my phone i had to use a kernel that had extsd swap support to swap my sd card with internal storage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wouldn't it be possible to use the android equivalent of a symlink to do this? I thought I recalled doing this on phones that didn't support installing apps to external storage awhile back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a full guide I wrote for those who need it, but the quick version is to mount your external storage using StickMount and then navigate to "External Storage -> USBStorage -> sda1" from within XBMC. Files show up and play smoothly.