Unofficial Guide To Installing K-exec and CM9 & CM10

Search This thread

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
Unofficial K-EXEC & CM9\10 Guide
Setup Instructions
Step 1.- Transfer the CM9 or Cm10 Rom, ICS or JB Gapps, and d2vzw_recovery.img to the root of you emmc
Step 2.- push the kexec cwm to sdcard and install
Code:
adb push d2vzw_recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/d2vzw_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 bs=256k
sync
reboot recovery
Step 3.- reboot into recovery
Step 4.- wipe data factory reset
Step 5.- Install cm9 or Cm10 zip
Step 6.- Install ICS or JB Gapps
Step 7.- Profit You Should Be Booting into CM9 or Cm10
Credits
I take no credit for this.. its all cvpcs's work and the cyanogenmod team.. **the jb zip was also made by dhacker it is 100% stable i think better than ics :)** i was just impatient and merged the data fix before it went live :), Build now has kexec intergrated so all u need to do is flash this new recovery and the cm9 zip it will auto Kexec thanks to cvpcs
DISCLAIMER
Neither me or team cyanogenmod take any responsibility if u brick your phone doing this, make a backup and read over instructions 2-3x

Last edited:

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Edit* just wanted to apologize for my previous post! I thought you were posting a guide in the oe development thread...when in reality your posting cm9/10 roms that you helped develop. I would suggest editing the title of the thread to reflect that its rom development and not just a guide. I do appreciate your work!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: foxalot

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I know this is early stage so not a complaint here, just having data drops on 3G. Besides those I am in heaven! lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dcox28

May 18, 2011
Please pardon the noobish question but is there a way to push these files with terminal emulator? I haven't been able to get ADB to work. I have it and the SDK installed but when i try to push something it says ADB is not a recognized command

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Please pardon the noobish question but is there a way to push these files with terminal emulator? I haven't been able to get ADB to work. I have it and the SDK installed but when i try to push something it says ADB is not a recognized command

Sure..just skip the first two ADB commands (make sure you have the files on your EMMC/internal storage). Start with the "su" command to get root and follow the rest of the directions.

Reactions: JCSIII and Dcox28

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Hello data is not dropping for me at all. Actually better signal then stock touchwiz. I recommend flashing this and trying.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Hmong_Xiong

Kipland007

Dec 12, 2011
Hello data is not dropping for me at all. Actually better signal then stock touchwiz. I recommend flashing this and trying.

Nice... do you live in a 4g area? My experience has been this device is shaky on 4g, so I might hold out.... but I'm definitely tempted!

Dcox28

May 18, 2011
Sure..just skip the first two ADB commands (make sure you have the files on your EMMC/internal storage). Start with the "su" command to get root and follow the rest of the directions.

Thank you very much. I am almost scared to ask the next question but when plugging my phone in to the pc i get the window that pops up and lets me go to Card or Phone. Obviously emmc/internal storage would mean for me to copy these files to Phone but I also am rooted and have CWM installed. If I did a nandroid right now before installing CM9, would I be able to restore it if needed after installing the Kexec touch CWM?

Thanks again for all help.

nick.koutrelakos

May 19, 2009
Yeah, I would also like to know what the LTE situation is with this. Not really pressed, though, as it's early in development. Great to see work like this happening.

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
My 4g is solid. I haven't dropped yet.

minmongoblin

Jun 15, 2010
My 4g is solid. I haven't dropped yet.

Whoa, really?! I didn't know CM9 for the S3 now had data! That's awesome, I'm so tempted to try it out now...

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Double post, but dumb question: What is "emmc"? Is that the folder that opens when you double-click "Phone" on the Card and Phone folder, which opens when you link the phone to a PC? That's where my previous img's were located...

nick.koutrelakos

May 19, 2009
My data shut off after about a half hour. Now I can't get it past No Service and Roaming (No SMS/MMS, Voice, nothing); just a heads up for those who want a preemptive taste of CM9.

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Thank you very much. I am almost scared to ask the next question but when plugging my phone in to the pc i get the window that pops up and lets me go to Card or Phone. Obviously emmc/internal storage would mean for me to copy these files to Phone but I also am rooted and have CWM installed. If I did a nandroid right now before installing CM9, would I be able to restore it if needed after installing the Kexec touch CWM?

Thanks again for all help.
I still have access to my backups using the included touch recovery so restoring nandroids should be fine.

Whoa, really?! I didn't know CM9 for the S3 now had data! That's awesome, I'm so tempted to try it out now...

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Double post, but dumb question: What is "emmc"? Is that the folder that opens when you double-click "Phone" on the Card and Phone folder, which opens when you link the phone to a PC? That's where my previous img's were located...
The EMMC is the internal storage. Just place the files on the root of your internal storage (not in any folders)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts