WARNING: Once youre unlocked dont use odin to flash custom ROMs.

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
The title says it all. Nothing good can come of flashing with Odin except returning to stock. Stick with CWM or TWRP flashable zip files. If you disregard this message you will end up with a locked device, or even worse, a hard bricked device. Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only. I'm concerned that after unlock using our methods that people will flash the wrong thing and cause problems in the future.

The unlock method we have provided is not a standard Bootloader Unlock. It is an IROM unlock. This means you can quite literally flash anything to your device without any sort of signature checks. It is important that you stay safe and try to stay away from Odin unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

VECTUS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 26, 2010
Kansas City, Mo.
xdaforums.com
Excellent words of advice from an ERD who KNOWS what's he's talking about... Please take his advice everyone... It will save you A LOT of pain...

Stickied

Reactions: kmarht

thejron

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for your hours of work. People WILL screw this up, unfortunately.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

shojus

Jan 9, 2008
GRap
Thanks for your hours of work. People WILL screw this up, unfortunately.

Yup! I can already see the threads starting.... It is good to know that we can still use Odin though cause I was under the impression that Odin was a no-go at this point... So flashing the factory image from imnuts would be the best resort to get back to stock if we needed to return a device?

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Yup! I can already see the threads starting.... It is good to know that we can still use Odin though cause I was under the impression that Odin was a no-go at this point... So flashing the factory image from imnuts would be the best resort to get back to stock if we needed to return a device?

yes...check my guide out! I have step by step instructions that clearly state what and what not to do!!

shojus

Jan 9, 2008
GRap
yes...check my guide out! I have step by step instructions that clearly state what and what not to do!!

Thanks buddy! I just checked it out and I am very thankful for your guides as it has helped me and MANY others! I have thanked so many people that my limit is up (for the day) but I appreciate your time that you have put forth to helping people! :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: droidstyle

cynkrzy

Feb 18, 2011

I still have plenty of "Thanks" so Thanks, and I am gonna study this weekend, hopefully by then the other issues folks have been having will at least be identified if not corrected.. then it's freedom for me!!

dvigue

Apr 9, 2010
Maine
The title says it all. Nothing good can come of flashing with Odin except returning to stock. Stick with CWM or TWRP flashable zip files. If you disregard this message you will end up with a locked device, or even worse, a hard bricked device. Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only. I'm concerned that after unlock using our methods that people will flash the wrong thing and cause problems in the future.

The unlock method we have provided is not a standard Bootloader Unlock. It is an IROM unlock. This means you can quite literally flash anything to your device without any sort of signature checks. It is important that you stay safe and try to stay away from Odin unless absolutely necessary.

Adam- but we ARE ok flashing with Odin so we can retrun to complete stock correct? your not saying that doing that may completely brick are phones are you? just want to be clear. i only use ODIN to go complete stock..

thank you for your work

nunyazz

Oct 7, 2010
BTR
Adam- but we ARE ok flashing with Odin so we can retrun to complete stock correct? your not saying that doing that may completely brick are phones are you? just want to be clear. i only use ODIN to go complete stock..

thank you for your work

"Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only"

Reactions: dvigue

wmaudio

Jan 26, 2009
Fairview Park, Ohio
In Androidstyle's guide thread, Adam asked him to point the unlock guide to his unlock thread, but I don't see an unlock thread from Adam, only the Revision3 thread which has no steps to unlock. I see the video Adam made, but my understanding is that the process has changed and the links to download Adam's ROM are dead on the Youtube page. Anyone have the link to Adam's unlock step by step guide?

G8orDroid

Mar 19, 2008
In Androidstyle's guide thread, Adam asked him to point the unlock guide to his unlock thread, but I don't see an unlock thread from Adam, only the Revision3 thread which has no steps to unlock. I see the video Adam made, but my understanding is that the process has changed and the links to download Adam's ROM are dead on the Youtube page. Anyone have the link to Adam's unlock step by step guide?

It's in "Verizon Galaxy Note II Android Original Development". Go up one level and you'll see it. There are only two threads there so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

LordRalh3

Jul 23, 2011
Minnesota
I don't mean to sound mean but if you really can't figure out how to get to his unlock thread do you really think it's a good idea to be unlocking your bootloader? Maybe you should just stick to a rooted image and read up and learn for awhile before jumping in over your head

ogwilson

Jun 8, 2008
I don't mean to sound mean but if you really can't figure out how to get to his unlock thread do you really think it's a good idea to be unlocking your bootloader? Maybe you should just stick to a rooted image and read up and learn for awhile before jumping in over your head

To be fair, the distinction between "Android development" and "Original Android development" is new for many of us. I, too, was wondering how to get back to this thread since I tend to browse XDA through bookmarks instead of the site hierarchies. I didn't realize there was an "original Android development" section until after I double checked the name on the thread jumper. It's not that one is technologically illiterate (I got through all this in one fell swoop with no issues and have rooted and unlocked every phone I've owned since the G1), it's just that it's different. Last device I had didn't have a section for original development, so it wasn't immediately obvious to me (though I quickly understood what it was for). so cut him some slack and just kindly point him to the right direction. I know you said you weren't trying to sound mean, but if you really weren't trying to sound mean you could have just helped him out without all of the extra, unnecessary commentary. You know what they say about assumptions, after all.

DaPoets

Jul 10, 2007
Beverly Hills, CA
Just got the Note 2 on verizon and loving it so much I'm going to hold off for a bit before unlocking & rooting. Normally on all my android phones that is done day 1... but this time w/ the dev community just now unlocking it, I think I'm going to wait a few weeks.

p1gnone

Feb 14, 2011
watchung
In context, imnuts has put out a Recovery flash-able version of CWM. If one tries his CWM but wants to go back to TWRP then currently it seems that one need to ODIN it. To Adam Outler's point it would be safer to have a Recovery flash-able version of TWRP. [?]

trevd

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Does the same go for Heimdall aswell then?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Followed by... "Please use Odin as a factory restore tool only" which made me question the otherwise obvious title. I assumed it was a "roms only" warning, but I preferred to ask and double check.. not find out otherwise the hard way after flashing a new radio.

This is here to warn people about flashing with Odin. After unlock, the bootloader will literally accept anything, even a justin beiber MP3. you could brick easily.

To be fair, the distinction between "Android development" and "Original Android development" is new for many of us. I, too, was wondering how to get back to this thread since I tend to browse XDA through bookmarks instead of the site hierarchies. I didn't realize there was an "original Android development" section until after I double checked the name on the thread jumper. It's not that one is technologically illiterate (I got through all this in one fell swoop with no issues and have rooted and unlocked every phone I've owned since the G1), it's just that it's different. Last device I had didn't have a section for original development, so it wasn't immediately obvious to me (though I quickly understood what it was for). so cut him some slack and just kindly point him to the right direction. I know you said you weren't trying to sound mean, but if you really weren't trying to sound mean you could have just helped him out without all of the extra, unnecessary commentary. You know what they say about assumptions, after all.
    Thanks for all the hard work