[HOW TO] Connect the GS3 to the PS3 as a media server.

Search This thread

Kobrax

Oct 15, 2012
Redditch
Legend

I have never ran my ps3 over ethernet cable and always wondered why the ps network is so slow.

Will have to do the same

Thanks mate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

whatsitsnamenow

Aug 10, 2010
California
You can also buy a Wi-Fi extender and put it next to your ps3. That's what I did. I hate having cables dragged around the house. I use mine to connect to a PS3, WDTV live media player, Vulkano player (Slingbox alternative). Never have any problem.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
You can also buy a Wi-Fi extender and put it next to your ps3. That's what I did. I hate having cables dragged around the house. I use mine to connect to a PS3, WDTV live media player, Vulkano player (Slingbox alternative). Never have any problem.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

You'll never get the same quality as you would with Ethernet, in the beginning I ran it wireless and it was literally 4 feet way from my router and I changed over to wired. There is a huge difference in quality and performance running wired versus wireless and I didn't think it would matter at first but you have to think about what the system has to control simultaneously in consideration to what its designed to do. You can run it that way but this is where you'll see the limitations the most, if you want quality you need to be wired.

Seny from the one and only GS3.

Devtodi

Aug 16, 2011
Marin County
marantz av7701

I am trying to stream music from GS3 to my pre-pro av processor and have tried several apps - pixel and others but my media server keeps saying "not authorized" is it an android issue? I cannot find anyway to change settings in the processor.

dave843

Jan 12, 2014
I'll have to try this using this method. I have tried this in the past and never had any luck.

fr8snyper

Jul 9, 2014
streaming to ps3

This is a tutorial to connect direct streaming from the SGS3 to the PS3.

Note: I used Xillisoft to change the video format to MP4 standard (works better) Transfer to the phone (Do not convert, copy as is.)

First go to settings and set it up like this:

EDIT: WIFI must be enabled, The network relies on this.

Path on device: (Settings/More Settings/ Nearby Devices)

------BEFORE YOU CHECK (File Sharing)-------

1.Shared Contents:/ check all

2.Device Name: (mine is SGH-T999/Orical)

3.Access Control: (Only Allowed Devices)

4.Allowed Device List: UPnP/1.0 (This is the GS3) and Windows-Media-Player ( if your connected to your computer as well)

5.Not Allowed Device List: (none)

6.Download to: (USB storage)

7.Upload to other devices: (Always Ask) *Important*

---Now to the PS3---

Go into settings and enable media server (Also See Below) then sync the device to the PS3 by checking Nearby Devices.

Depending on the amount of media you have on the Phone this can take a minute or two before it finishes.

Once it's connected you'll see the "SGH-T999/Your Name Here" within the columns labled Video, Pictures, Music.

If your looking for a video under the pictures column on the PS3 it's not going to display it and will tell you their not
there so make sure your under the correct column on the PS3 for what ever your going to stream.

Not sure if this is going to matter to some but my set up is ethernet between the router and the PS3 (Not wireless), the
connection works better and transfers information quicker if your directly connected. I have all of the parental set to off.

***Here's a few other settings you want to check if you have any problems.***

Settings/Video settings: (I'm just going to give you the settings for this so just work your way down the list)
Mine is obviously English so set it appropriately....

1.English
2.English
3.English
4.Allow
5.English
6.English
7.English
8.Automatic
9.Letterbox
10.Fullscreen
11.Automatic
12.Automatic
13.ON
14.Linear PCM
15."Multible Choice"Linear PCM
16.English
17.English
18.OFF

Settings/Music Settings:

Audio CD Import: MP3 320 kbps
Crossfade Playback: 2 seconds
Output frequencies: 48kHz
Bitmapping: Type 3
Dynamic Normalizer: ON

PS. I'm not a big thanks hog but I know some people are having a hard time getting this to work, if this helps please hit the button so I know it actually helped someone out there.

If you need more help post in the thread and I'll do the best I can to respond as quick as possible, before anyone asks I dont have a 360 so I can't physically test it but I'm working on a PS Vita method soon. Thanks for reading.

Hey. I'm trying to figure out how to stream movies from my phone using showbox and link it to my ps3. I don't want to download the movie, just stream it on my phone and watch it at the same time on my old school tv through my ps3. Any suggestions? I know how to watch downloaded content just not streaming content.

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Hey. I'm trying to figure out how to stream movies from my phone using showbox and link it to my ps3. I don't want to download the movie, just stream it on my phone and watch it at the same time on my old school tv through my ps3. Any suggestions? I know how to watch downloaded content just not streaming content.

I'm sure you've probably figured it out by now sorry I haven't kept up with the thread as it's quite old now but it's a good question and does actually work. If anyone wants me to do this as of now let me know and I'll put in the time to give you a few options as there are a couple depending on the system you're using.

fr8snyper

Jul 9, 2014
i'm not tech savvy

I haven't figured it out yet. I'm not that tech savvy but can follow instructions well. If you could do a post on this issue, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a tutorial to connect direct streaming from the SGS3 to the PS3.

Note: I used Xillisoft to change the video format to MP4 standard (works better) Transfer to the phone (Do not convert, copy as is.)

First go to settings and set it up like this:

** For first time media server set up, PS3 Settings **
    IN Settings/Network Settings
    go through using
    1. Settings method: custom
    2. Connection method: wired connection
    3. Operation mode: auto detect
    4. IP address: automatic
    5. DHCP: do not set
    6. DNS: automatic
    7. MTU: automatic
    8. Proxy server: do not use
    9. "UPNP: enable"
    Then press X to save settings.

EDIT: WIFI must be enabled, The network relies on this.

Path on device: (Settings/More Settings/ Nearby Devices)

------BEFORE YOU CHECK (File Sharing)-------

1.Shared Contents:/ check all

2.Device Name: (mine is SGH-T999/Orical)

3.Access Control: (Only Allowed Devices)

4.Allowed Device List: UPnP/1.0 (This is the GS3) and Windows-Media-Player ( if your connected to your computer as well)

5.Not Allowed Device List: (none)

6.Download to: (USB storage)

7.Upload to other devices: (Always Ask) *Important*

---Now to the PS3---

Go into settings and enable media server (Also See Below) then sync the device to the PS3 by checking Nearby Devices.

Depending on the amount of media you have on the Phone this can take a minute or two before it finishes.

Once it's connected you'll see the "SGH-T999/Your Name Here" within the columns labled Video, Pictures, Music.

If your looking for a video under the pictures column on the PS3 it's not going to display it and will tell you their not
    there so make sure your under the correct column on the PS3 for what ever your going to stream.

Not sure if this is going to matter to some but my set up is ethernet between the router and the PS3 (Not wireless), the
    connection works better and transfers information quicker if your directly connected. I have all of the parental set to off.

***Here's a few other settings you want to check if you have any problems.***

Settings/Video settings: (I'm just going to give you the settings for this so just work your way down the list)
    Mine is obviously English so set it appropriately....

1.English
    2.English
    3.English
    4.Allow
    5.English
    6.English
    7.English
    8.Automatic
    9.Letterbox
    10.Fullscreen
    11.Automatic
    12.Automatic
    13.ON
    14.Linear PCM
    15."Multible Choice"Linear PCM
    16.English
    17.English
    18.OFF

Settings/Music Settings:

Audio CD Import: MP3 320 kbps
    Crossfade Playback: 2 seconds
    Output frequencies: 48kHz
    Bitmapping: Type 3
    Dynamic Normalizer: ON

PS. I'm not a big thanks hog but I know some people are having a hard time getting this to work, if this helps please hit the button so I know it actually helped someone out there.

If you need more help post in the thread and I'll do the best I can to respond as quick as possible, before anyone asks I dont have a 360 so I can't physically test it but I'm working on a PS Vita method soon. Thanks for reading.
    I tried this out, and it's not working for me at all. Anything you might have left out?

EDIT: I believe that I found out why I can't get this to work. My network connection says "uPnP NOT ENABLED" After reading online a little, I guess that my ISP has my router locked down (it's their company provided one). So people, check this setting when you run "TEST CONNECTION" on your PS3. if it's not enabled, you will have to do it manually (if you can log into your router).
    Works great Thx.. I also use usb mass storage mode. so much faster. Just plug right in n go no waiting, my sd card has a lot of media lol. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    How did you get the usb mass storage mode working...? I tried on the PS3 and Vizio TV. On PS3 it just said "Unknown USB Device connected" One of the reasons I LOVE my HD2... real USB drive mode.. =D

Also thanks OP.. I forgot I had dlna mode on the S3 heh.. That would be one solution indeed.

I had to use a app.. it only supports ext sd tho.. but works perfect.
    http://db.tt/Lwe8d48Y
    e9y3yqat.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm having the same issues I can't check the box I don't know if having sprint has anything to do with it but, I've tried the suggestions here but I can't get passed not being able to click the box wth????

Sounds like you might have removed sharecast or another media app by Samsung, that's the only reason that would happen.

NRA Approved GS3