Help relocking RAZR M bootloader

Search This thread

wbbjason

Apr 10, 2013
MD
First, let me say this because i've used xda for a while and i know im going to get these responses:
I know this wont reinstate my warranty...
Why? Because I want to. I understand you think it's useless but it's not your phone...
I have tried "fastboot oem lock" and it doesnt work...
I've searched Motorola's site, got on a chat with them which was useless, and searched xda...

So I booted into AP fastboot and connected to my computer. Opened CMD and typed "fastboot oem lock begin"
That seemed to start the process so then ran RSD lite (as admin) and flashed a signed xml of 4.1.2
Yes, I edited the XML first and removed the 2 lines with "getvar" in them
RSD finished and the phone rebooted (which was great because before it was hung up on the unlocked bootloader warning)
Unfortunately after turning the phone off and then back on, the unlocked bootloader warning screen still came up.
And after booting back into AP fastboot it still said UNLOCKED.
did i miss a step?

I need to relock the phone. if anyone has useful information it would be extremely helpful. in the event it just cant be done thats fine. but i feel like it can, because after fastboot oem lock begin the command prompted told me that now i can flashed the signed images.

well crap. i may have just answered my own question. do i have to flash manually through CMD (ie fastboot flash system system.img) AND THEN run fastboot oem lock at the bottom? i'll try it tomorrow.

before i started this the phone was stuck on the bootloader warning screen so if anyone is stuck at that point this will allow you to boot up your phone. and if my results are typical, it did not relock the bootloader (obviously). hope I helped someone. hope someone can help me. thanks.

Tommino84

Mar 18, 2013
Poggibonsi
most likely not feasible
unlocking razr m involves phisically blowing a q-fuse, so you can't go back to locked
even if you could, it would be traced forever that you've unlocked the BL

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
You can relock the boot loader on the Dev edition, but once unlocked you can never go back to original status 0 of the boot loader and the boot logo will always display the warning even if you relock the boot loader. You have to flash that partition with another logo image to avoid that.

You also need to wipe the user data partition in fastboot first for the fastboot oem lock begin command to complete successfully.

Once that is done, when it reboots you will see that in fastboot it will display status 2 locked instead of status 3 unlocked.

This is a physical change that happens to the hardware when you unlock the boot loader an efuse on the board is blown and that memory location is permanently programmed. Its not even a question of them knowing, even though they do of course, the device itself is altered.

Last edited: