SD card corrupted

Search This thread

Zuk.

Jul 21, 2012
I have a Verizon S5 with a 32gb SD card that I'm using to store media as well as apps.
Today a few strange things happened all at once:
  • I had an icon in my notification tray informing me I should format my SD card.
  • All of the applications that were installed on the SD card show a greyed out SD card icon and when clicked on they say "Application not installed".
  • "The check battery cover" notice keeps popping up.
I have rebooted my phone. I have removed the back cover, battery, and SD card and re-seated them all firmly. (None of this has helped).

I never remove my back cover as my phone is in a protective case and I have yet to drop my phone, so I'm not sure what is causing this behavior.
My question is, do I have to re-format my SD card or is there anything I can do to recover it. If not, is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future (without rooting my phone)?

Thanks.

DP1980

May 28, 2014
Is your phone rooted? If so, did you flash any custom kernels, ROMs? If the answers to all or any of questions above is negative, than yes, you SD card is corrupted.
If you did any of the actions mentioned above, than just reverse it and see if it helps

Zuk.

Jul 21, 2012
No I'm completely stock. I guess my only choice is to format. This is my first non-Nexus and my first Samsung and so far I've been a bit disappointed.
Thanks for the reply.

Zuk.

Jul 21, 2012
No I'm completely stock. I guess my only choice is to format. This is my first non-Nexus and my first Samsung and so far I've been a bit disappointed.
Thanks for the reply.

This morning everything started working again, although the check battery cover warning is still coming up. I might take it back to Verizon if it persists.