Windows 8

Search This thread

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
Curious to know whether there would any effort to get windows 8 (once they release the ARM preview) running on the nook color? or if anyone would be interested in this?

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
Indeed, but minimum specs shouldn't be a problem, they demonstrated it running on a single core 1 ghz with 1gb of memory.

enomai

Apr 11, 2011
New Orleans
The preview version is only available for x86 and x64 right now. We would need an ARM preview build. I don't know that we'll see that as the ARM version will probably be OEM only (my guess).

jerrykur

Oct 7, 2007
I wonder if this would be worth the effort. The ARM tablets are likely to be priced below the iPad which makes them pretty affordable. Also, doesn't Windows 8 require DirectX 11 support?

enomai

Apr 11, 2011
New Orleans
The previews I saw had them running on AMD fusion processors running DirectX 11 with 2 GB of RAM. Don't know if it's required or not though.

cincibluer6

Apr 1, 2011
Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

Plan to support ARM in the future but not on the Dev Edition.

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
So hopefully they release an arm version of the peview soon, specially since the arm version requires different apps, no?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
Forget Windows 8 on the Nook Color, it would be too slow anyway. What we need are

1) New Market fixed for CM7!

2) Ice Cream! Since Honeycomb is not going to go to AOSP this side of he-ell.

Homer

life64x

Jul 19, 2010
San Diego
Forget Windows 8 on the Nook Color, it would be too slow anyway. What we need are

1) New Market fixed for CM7!

2) Ice Cream! Since Honeycomb is not going to go to AOSP this side of he-ell.

Homer
You hit the nail on the head. Even if we got it on the nook, windows tablet version will be hundreds of megabytes in size just for the rom. IF it did run, highly unlikely considering it will need a whole new set of video, sound and touchscreen driver modifications...the software size alone would choke up the nook. Speed would just not be usable for real world applications.

erickleung

Jun 17, 2007
Why? To run MS Office on Nook Color natively? If yes, then we may all to upgrade our SSD to 64G or more. The existing Developer Preview Edition Bare System eats 10G storage space, not counting additional storage to keep all installed drivers or program libraries.

koopakid08

Jun 24, 2011
Why? To run MS Office on Nook Color natively? If yes, then we may all to upgrade our SSD to 64G or more. The existing Developer Preview Edition Bare System eats 10G storage space, not counting additional storage to keep all installed drivers or program libraries.

The ARM version is not included in the dev preview and will most likely be much smaller. That being said I still doubt Windows 8 would be a good experience.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

erickleung

Jun 17, 2007
The ARM version is not included in the dev preview and will most likely be much smaller. That being said I still doubt Windows 8 would be a good experience.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Yes. totally agree with you. But very doubt if existing Win32 applications could be transform to ARM version natively? Or Nokia are going to launch any new toys for Windows mobile soon?

aludal

Aug 17, 2010
Capitola CA
fineoils.blogspot.com
Windows 8 for ARM was demoed back in June for Qualcomm's Snapdragon 3 MSM8060 dev tablet, you can have a look in my blog, the post abound Windows 8 on HP Touchpad. It's not flawless, but not a slouch either. Windows 8 in June was certainly less optimized for ARM than now, that's for sure.
However, as I see it, in 2012 some streamlined/trimmed version of Windows Phone 8 might be available for OMAP3xxx devices (about 5 mln of them, NC included). I wouldn't put much faith in hardware rendering on NC before Jelly Beans, so we'll see.

gyrfalcon

Aug 9, 2011
I'm running Windows 8 on my nook right now inside a xen hypervisor... It performs okay but sometimes lags when I'm trying to do 3D modeling with Maya. I'd love to share my ROM with you but I don't condone piracy and won't want to violate any NDAs

Last edited:

therkr

Mar 2, 2011
I'm running Windows 8 on my nook right now inside a xen hypervisor... It performs okay but sometimes lags when I'm trying to do 3D modeling with Maya. I'd love to share my ROM with you but I don't condone piracy and won't want to violate any NDAs

At least you could post some screenshots?
Something like windows experience index screen etc..

Sent from my MB502 using XDA App

innosia

Mar 18, 2011

hi gyrfalcon, can you pm me, I really wish to run windows 8 on nook. Please guide me on how to install it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think it's pretty obvious that the guy is joking, unless all the replies are jokes too, hmmm...:)