In your opinion, when looking back at this thread, how easy were the instructions?

• Total voters
Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Factory Reset

I had Play Store working before and I rooted my Kindle Fire HD 8.9".

What happened was my 4 year old niece tried using Kindle but she didn't know the pin so she just pressed and held some buttons. I think it was power button. After that Kindle took very long to start, asked me to login into Amazon again and all apps were gone. I think she factory reset it. The root stayed.

Does this method make it persistent or will I have to redo everything if it were to happen again? Maybe there could be something automated to get me back to where I am now with backing up and restoring or something.

Sn8kbordin,

This method does make it persistent since everything is placed in the /system/app folder. We are working on a simple How to: Backup and Restore the Kindle Noob (Simple) Version. Since it is involved, we need another 48 hours but look for it soon.

gitlygit

Feb 27, 2011
Great work! I am going to try on my wife's hd, wish me luck.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using xda premium

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root and Google Play for Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD Software Version 7.2.3

Great work! I am going to try on my wife's hd, wish me luck.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using xda premium

gitlygit,

Hey, there you are again! I just posted another reply regarding your question to purchase one.

It is nice that your wife has one, this will allow you to get a better feel of the Kindle before you

buy one. The only one that is close in the same price range is the Nexus 7 but the sound is

much better on the Kindle, so if you are a movie user, you will be happier with the Kindle.

If you get stuck, we are here from 10am to 10pm PST GMT -8. If you find yourself

backed into a corner, PM us we offer free phone support to everyone in the XDA

Community. Just FYI, we support every device in the market even though our primary

focus is on the Kindle at the moment. Good Luck, I am sure you will do fine.

alecjacobryan

Jan 1, 2013
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 successfully rooted and Googled!

You guys rock!! I have been trying unsuccessfully for three days to root my Kindle Fire HD with 8.9" display. For other novices like me here is the problem I was having with the driver:

The driver appeared to be installed fine. I could navigate to the SD card in the Kindle using explorer and the Kindle was listed in the device manager and listed with the appropriate driver. However, the Bin4ry v17 would not see the device (check using cmd prompt and navigating to "stuff\adb devices" it would not list the device. (I would also get a failure message every time I installed the driver from Amazon.) Using the cmd prompt (right click as an administrator to run cmd) I navigated to the driver installation file. DO NOT right click the driver file and run as administrator in Windows 7 explorer. This successfully installed the driver with no error message after installation of the Kindle driver. Follow the instructions in step A below. Carefully following the instructions in step B below to root the Kindle, I installed the driver a second time (in the same manner using cmd prompt) with the Kindle on and attached. Rebooted both. Now the Kindle was seen by Bin4ry software. I am using Windows 7 and did not any of the alternate drivers listed. The Amazon driver worked when installed in this manner.

Again for new guys like me to install the Amazon driver: 1) click windows start button, 2) in the "Search programs and files" box type "cmd" (don't hit enter or search), 3) the program "cmd.exe" should be listed at the top. Right click that and select "Run As Administrator"

I am so happy to have my Android apps again (used to have a Droid). So many of them that I use are not available in the Amazon store for the Kindle.

Although "Play Step 13 and 15" below did not specify moving those to the system\app folder and changing the permissions, I did it any way because the instruction for all the other files said to do that. I also did not do 'Play Step 16" to eliminate the Market requests. I'm not sure why I need to do that. Everything seems to work fine. If it's a problem I can always come back and do it.

Thanks again for putting this out there. I am VERY appreciative of the people that share their knowledge with the world.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

You guys rock!! I have been trying unsuccessfully for three days to root my Kindle Fire HD with 8.9" display. For other novices like me here is the problem I was having with the driver:

The driver appeared to be installed fine. I could navigate to the SD card in the Kindle using explorer and the Kindle was listed in the device manager and listed with the appropriate driver. However, the Bin4ry v17 would not see the device (check using cmd prompt and navigating to "stuff\adb devices" it would not list the device. (I would also get a failure message every time I installed the driver from Amazon.) Using the cmd prompt (right click as an administrator to run cmd) I navigated to the driver installation file. DO NOT right click the driver file and run as administrator in Windows 7 explorer. This successfully installed the driver with no error message after installation of the Kindle driver. Follow the instructions in step A below. Carefully following the instructions in step B below to root the Kindle, I installed the driver a second time (in the same manner using cmd prompt) with the Kindle on and attached. Rebooted both. Now the Kindle was seen by Bin4ry software. I am using Windows 7 and did not any of the alternate drivers listed. The Amazon driver worked when installed in this manner.

Again for new guys like me to install the Amazon driver: 1) click windows start button, 2) in the "Search programs and files" box type "cmd" (don't hit enter or search), 3) the program "cmd.exe" should be listed at the top. Right click that and select "Run As Administrator"

I am so happy to have my Android apps again (used to have a Droid). So many of them that I use are not available in the Amazon store for the Kindle.

Although "Play Step 13 and 15" below did not specify moving those to the system\app folder and changing the permissions, I did it any way because the instruction for all the other files said to do that. I also did not do 'Play Step 16" to eliminate the Market requests. I'm not sure why I need to do that. Everything seems to work fine. If it's a problem I can always come back and do it.

Thanks again for putting this out there. I am VERY appreciative of the people that share their knowledge with the world.

alecjacobryan,

Thank you again for the kind comments.

Play Store Step 13 and 15 is Installing the Google Play Store Upgrades, normally an install is sufficient. It is only

necessary to move Vending.apk, then steps 13 and 15 upgrades the Vending.apk to the latest Google Play Store

Version 3.10.10 - if you are seeing 3.10.10 under Stetting, then what you did is OK, there should not be any

anomalies.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play Store "Suddely Stops" or Amazon Store still Default

To All -

There are a number of applications that automate the install of Google Play Store. We are finding a large

number of customers complaining that the Amazon Store remains the default store no matter what they do.

This is due to a old version of Google Play Store. Please go to our above response, there are instructions on

How to: Upgrade the Google Play Store. Also, if you open Google Play Store and it "Suddenly Stops" - this

is, in large part, the cause of a corrupt Vending.apk - go back to the beginning of this thread and follow the

How to: Install Google Play Store. Any other issues can be posted here, we usually respond in 1 to 3 hours.

We are here from 10am to 10pm PST GMT -8. If you have an emergency, see our Contact Information, our

number is listed with XDA Developers.

Reactions: Jcrayst

tipperbeanfad

Jan 2, 2013
As I posted in the first thread (dealing with root), I'm having issues with finding "system" directory, and because of this, I cannot move the .apk files in step three. Did something not extract correctly in the rooting process?

EDIT: I found it, but I'm having issues, as it's saying I cannot move the .apk files. :/

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

As I posted in the first thread (dealing with root), I'm having issues with finding "system" directory, and because of this, I cannot move the .apk files in step three. Did something not extract correctly in the rooting process?

tipperbeanfad,

I am sorry if we missed your request. If we do not respond in 1 hour, send us a PM.

When you installed ES File Explorer, did you go into "Root Settings" and check

all the options? Did you get a Superuser Pop up asking to "Allow" Root Access?

If you are using Root Explorer, did you press on the "Mount RW" on the upper

Right side of the application? How to navigate, to this point when using ES

File Explorer, is to notice at the top of ES File Explorer, do you see /sdcard/?

If yes, press Up once, you should now see "local /" at the top. Now click on

the system folder, you should now see "local /system/". Now click on

the apps folder, you should now see "local /system/apps". Did this help?

If not, send us a PM with your contact number and time range to call.

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
I'm Kindle noob, but familiar w/ Android and linux. WIll applying all of these changes cause any problems when Amazon pushes out an update? It seems like for a rooted device the update applies successfully and you just lose root. Hopefully it's the same when enabling Google Play. I just rooted my KFHD and did a manual transfer of some saved games into /data/data successfully. Lots of good info here!

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play with Amazon Store

I'm Kindle noob, but familiar w/ Android and linux. WIll applying all of these changes cause any problems when Amazon pushes out an update? It seems like for a rooted device the update applies successfully and you just lose root. Hopefully it's the same when enabling Google Play. I just rooted my KFHD and did a manual transfer of some saved games into /data/data successfully. Lots of good info here!

gnahc79,

Great question. No, if you do not move otacerts.zip there will be no effects on the updates. The

primary concern is that Amazon will eventually attempt to completely lock down the ability to

Root. Let's face it, even if the lock down the Kindle, we will find a way to Root the device! When

you enable Google Play and Install a new Launcher, the old interface and apps remain 100%

functional and intact. Google Play Store and Amazon Store commingle well together, no issues

or problems with either application.

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
thanks for the info. My concern is the moving of MarketIntentProxy.apk outside of system/app. My concern is if the Amazon update does some sort of sanity/system check on /system/app and errors out with either an error message (ok) or soft brick (not as ok :) ). From my experience with Android phones I've seen that messing with stock apps can cause a warning+failed update or soft brick.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

thanks for the info. My concern is the moving of MarketIntentProxy.apk outside of system/app. My concern is if the Amazon update does some sort of sanity/system check on /system/app and errors out with either an error message (ok) or soft brick (not as ok :) ). From my experience with Android phones I've seen that messing with stock apps can cause a warning+failed update or soft brick.

gnahc79,

Just FYI. All our guides have been tested on over 20 Kindle Fires and we wait for 90 days before

posting these guides. This virtually eliminates bugs and problems. Having said this, you can

be 100% assured that moving the MarketIntentProxy.apk to /sdcard/Download has no short term

or long term issues on the OS or other applications. We take the time to look at scripts and programs

that may attempt to call the MarketIntentProxy.apk service and suddenly "Stop!". Again, do not

worry, we do enormous amount of testing on every modification. So you may proceed with

absolute assurance, just follow the steps closely. If you do find yourself backed into a corner

due to a mistake we offer free unlimited support to the entire XDA Community, this includes

phone support if needed.

Reactions: gnahc79

gnahc79

Nov 2, 2007
San Jose,CA
Awesome and great instructions! Only hiccup was the Facebook app installed from Amazon app store was force closing immediately after installing google play. Uninstall fb and reinstall from google play seems to fix that. Also I realized that none of the apps installed from Google Play are available in Free Time since Free Time only looks up apps in the Amazon app store. I have 1-2 reading apps from google play (not available in the amazon app store) that I want enabled in Free Time for my son. Very minor issue :).

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play with Amazon Store

Awesome and great instructions! Only hiccup was the Facebook app installed from Amazon app store was force closing immediately after installing google play. Uninstall fb and reinstall from google play seems to fix that. Also I realized that none of the apps installed from Google Play are available in Free Time since Free Time only looks up apps in the Amazon app store. I have 1-2 reading apps from google play (not available in the amazon app store) that I want enabled in Free Time for my son. Very minor issue :).

gnahc79,

Yes, sometimes there are corrupt downloads, it is great that you made the decision to remove and

reinstall, this solves the problem most of the time, as you saw. Free Time will probability not allow

Google Play Store items to be enabled since there is a backdoor agreement with Amazon Store

and Google Play, so they have probably locked down this capability. I am still willing to spend time

and research then test the scenario. I would need the name of the items to be able to create your

scenario. Just let me know.

hakunamatata

Nov 29, 2007
I'm in a similar situation. I've bought quite a few books and educational games from play store and would like to enable them through freetime.

Sent from my KFJWI using xda app-developers app

ecorbizzle

Jan 4, 2013
Help

Ok I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I've tried to get google play store on my phone for days and have spent hours and hours trying different methods. I have tried everything from going into applications and clearing data on the apps installed, I have used all the of the links provided however whenever I try to open google play store it says "Google Account Manager has stopped", On previous attemps I could get google play to start working but then it would immediately crash and say "Google Play Store has stopped" I've rebooted and reset to factory defaults so many times now I'm about to give up. Not sure what is going wrong I have followed all instructions to a tee, with the help of other posts on this forum as well, I'm familiar with computers and have worked with linux and command line before, and have even jailbroken my iphone before so this is not something I am new at but it seems like there is not enough information for what I'm trying to do. I feel as though it is not impossible though because other people with the same exact model and update as me have completed this. I have a 7" Kindle Fire HD running 7.2.3. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this series we will install Google Play Store to the Kindle. You will see we offer two servers to download the software the one server originates from a commercial Dropbox account and the other from a Ubuntu One commercial account, so if you are blocked by one server, you can use the other as an alternate. We publish these tutorials for you, the end user. This is how we make our living, so if you feel we did our job click on the "Donate to Me" link, if money is tight, we understand - at least take the time to post feedback, otherwise we do not know what works. We monitor the thread daily, so if you are stuck, post a detailed explanation of your problem - we respond fairly quickly.

Prerequisites:

A) Kindle Fire 7" Has been Rooted. Here is Step-by-Step Noob (Simple) Instructions

Preferred Method (Automatic Installation):

Play Step 1: Download Kindle Fire First Aide: Windows 32-bit Version Or Windows 64-bit Version

Play Step 2: Extract KFFirstAide.zip to C:\KFFirstAide - please remove the 32 or 64 at the end of the folder created by Winzip or 7-Zip

Play Step 3: With your mouse, open the C:\KFFirstAide contents by double mouse clicking the C:\KFFirstAide folder

Play Step 4: Find the RunMe.bat file. Right Hand Mouse click on RunMe.bat, select 'Send to', select Desktop (Create Shortcut). Now press the Left Hand Mouse button to create the Shortcut named RunMe.bat.

Play Step 5: Find the RunMe Shortcut on your desktop, select it by left mouse click over the icon, then while on the icon choose Right Hand mouse click, select Properties.

Play Step 6: This will display the RunMe properties. Select the General Tab, change the top name to KF First Aide. Then click on the Shortcut tab, click on Advanced. Check 'Run as Administrator', click OK, then click Apply, then click OK. All windows should be closed.

Play Step 7: Double Mouse Click the new Icon named KF First Aide. You may be presented with a security window, just click Yes.

Play Step 8: Please click on the Windows Key plus Pause/Break, this will display the Windows System Properties. Next Click on the Advanced Tab and find "Environment Variables". Please click on Environment Variables and find the Path Statement. Carefully add at the end of the Path Statement:

Code:
    ;C:\KFFirstAide

Note: Do Not forget the semi-colon before the C:\KFFirstAide

Play Step 9: That is it! The software is ready. Next we get the Kindle ready to disable OTA.

Play Step 10: Please check the Kindle under More + > Security - make sure ADB is ON. Leave it disconnected from USB.

Play Step 11: Launch Kindle Fire First Aide, if the ADB Driver is not installed, use Option 12 to Install the ADB Driver

Play Step 12: Make sure the Kindle is turned ON, plugged into the Computer USB and ready. Select Option 18 to Install Google Play Store.

Play Step 13: That is it! Google Play is Installed, you may close the software.

You may view the Kindle Fire First Aide Forum Notes here: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2096888

Alternative Method (Manual Installation):

Play Step 1 Download (Dropbox Links) GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk to your Desktop

Play Step 1 Download (Ubuntu One Links) GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk to your Desktop

Play Step 2 Using Windows Explorer move GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk from your desktop to /Kindle Drive/Download.

Play Step 3 Using ES File Explorer app(Dropbox) or ES File Explorer app(Ubuntu One) open ES File Explorer on your Kindle. Go to the Setting Menu on ES File Explorer. Choose Root Settings, Select all the options here. A Superuser window will Popup, be sure to click "Allow".

Play Step 4 Now on the Kindle Fire HD use ES File Explorer to move GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app.

Play Step 5 Next change the permissions on GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk by long pressing each apk until you see an option window. Select Permissions and change all 3 apk permissions to Owner: Read-Write, Group: Read and Others: Read.

Play Step 6 Install all 3 apk's: GoogleServicesFramework.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk by clicking on each on and choose Install. Ignore any install errors.

Play Step 7 Reboot the Kindle

Play Step 8 Download Vending.apk(Dropbox) or Vending.apk(Ubuntu One)to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 9 Using ES File Explorer app on the Fire. Move Vending.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app. Next Using ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, change permissions set to Owner: Read-Write, Group: Read and Others: Read.

Play Step 10 Install Vending.apk

Play Step 11 Google Play should show up in your Kindle Fire HD Apps. Tap on it and follow the steps with sign-in and agreeing to the terms. This is an OLD Market so move on to Step 12

Play Step 12 Download Gplay3.8.17.apk(Dropbox) OR Gplay3.8.17.apk(Ubuntu One) to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 13 Using ES File Explorer, go to /sdcard/Gplay3.8.17.apk select Gplay3.8.17.apk choose Install. This will upgrade the the android market to version 3.8.17 Google Play market.

Play Step 14 Download Phonesky.apk(Dropbox) OR Phoneshy.apk(Ubuntu One) to /Kindle Drive/Download

Play Step 15 Using ES File Explorer, go to /sdcard/Phonesky.apk select Phonesky.apk choose Install. This will upgrade the the android market to version 3.10.10 Google Play market.

Play Step 16 Finally, to eliminate Amazon from intercepting any Market requests, thus allowing Google Play to be the default Market. Using ES File Explorer move /system/app/MarketIntentProxy.apk to /sdcard/download - Reboot the Kindle

Next we will offer a How to: Install Go Launcher EX and HD Noob (Easy) Version http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069668

If you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/dona....php?u=4435645
    You can install Google Play on your 2013 Kindle Fire HD but it's for window shopping only. Any attempts to download from the play store will freeze the tablet and require a reboot. Really the play store serves no real purpose on the new KFHD 7, at the moment anyway. 1mobile and f DROID are a couple spots to get apks from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the spots. I was able to use 1mobile to get a couple apps that worked such as clash of clans and freekindle and supersu. I need to try the other place then because I am unable to get a googleplay that even works, I could never get it to really open or search anything anyways. What I really want to get working is an app called Parallel Kingdom but it doesn't run when I get it through 1mobile.com; I'm a little disappointed to find out that googleplay won't work on my kindle and I hope I can get other programs to work then.
    Should I allow kindle to push updates again?

Thanks again LinearEquation, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and actually care about problems that need not concern you :D
    I think I'm in love :highfive:
    Google Apps

I think I'm in love :highfive:

Thank you for the feedback.

Next we will be offering all the updated Google Applications for your pleasure.

This is a bit more complex, so we may not have this out until tomorrow AM.
    Dropbox Upgraded

Just FYI to everyone.

We just upgraded our Dropbox Subscription to the Dropbox Team Premium with 1TB

of space and unlimited traffic.

This should eliminate Storage Server Outages.