Samsung Warranty Replacement

Search This thread

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
I've heard some folks talk about Samsung warranty service. What are the stipulations of doing it through them vs a Sprint corporate store? Also, do you get a new phone through Samsung, or do they send you a refurb?

brennam7

Nov 23, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I sent my phone into samsung after sprint told me they couldn't do anything because it was rooted (morons). Anywho, they shoot you a ups label, print it, ship it out with 3 sides having the ticket number on it. They give you a link in an email so you can track the progress through repair, haven't gotten my phone back yet, but from what the ticket updates say, it seems like they are just repairing my phone i sent in. If that changes, i'll let you know.

digweed4me

Oct 22, 2010
dallas, tx
Sprint cs Rep told me to get TEP Insurance and take it to sprint store they don't care when u get it they just look at u have it or not. I am getting my replacement in 3 days.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

TonyTurboII

Jan 17, 2008
Saint Charles, MO
You will more than likely get a refurbished unit.

I sent my phone into samsung after sprint told me they couldn't do anything because it was rooted (morons). Anywho, they shoot you a ups label, print it, ship it out with 3 sides having the ticket number on it. They give you a link in an email so you can track the progress through repair, haven't gotten my phone back yet, but from what the ticket updates say, it seems like they are just repairing my phone i sent in. If that changes, i'll let you know.

Thats company policy (moron).

Sprint cs Rep told me to get TEP Insurance and take it to sprint store they don't care when u get it they just look at u have it or not. I am getting my replacement in 3 days.

Don't listen to this kid. They do know when your insurance was added, and they do care. He is suggesting you commit insurance fraud.

If the Sprint rep told you to jump off a bridge would you do that?

Reactions: zuluturtle

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area

Don't listen to this kid. They do know when your insurance was added, and they do care. He is suggesting you commit insurance fraud.

Company policy is to work on rooted devices unless it is a software issue and you are on a custom rom then you need to go back to a stock rom. TEP and asurion are NOT real insurance and insurance laws don't apply to them, it would be just plain fraud, which would be hard to prove since fraud means you did something with the intention to get something more for free by intentionally doing something to get it, ie smashing your phone or microwaving it to get an upgraded device and not a replacement for a malfunctioning/broken device. I work in property insurance and even certain things that are blatantly done to be able to up the value of the claim in the policy holders favor isn't considered fraud. Either way Asurion and TEP are not insurance, insurance law doesn't apply to them which is why they are called device/equipment protection and not device/equipment insurance. In my state (FL) they aren't allowed to use the word insurance in their advertisement or paperwork because the law says they aren't an insurance company are not governed in the same way as insurance companies and never will be because they are a monopoly and there is no competition in prices you have the choice of asurion or nothing and it is contracted through the carrier and not chosen by the customer with a choice to shop for a competitive premium/deductible

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: zuluturtle

zuluturtle

Apr 5, 2012
Idaho
Company policy is to work on rooted devices unless it is a software issue and you are on a custom rom then you need to go back to a stock rom. TEP and asurion are NOT real insurance and insurance laws don't apply to them, it would be just plain fraud, which would be hard to prove since fraud means you did something with the intention to get something more for free by intentionally doing something to get it, ie smashing your phone or microwaving it to get an upgraded device and not a replacement for a malfunctioning/broken device. I work in property insurance and even certain things that are blatantly done to be able to up the value of the claim in the policy holders favor isn't considered fraud. Either way Asurion and TEP are not insurance, insurance law doesn't apply to them which is why they are called device/equipment protection and not device/equipment insurance. In my state (FL) they aren't allowed to use the word insurance in their advertisement or paperwork because the law says they aren't an insurance company are not governed in the same way as insurance companies and never will be because they are a monopoly and there is no competition in prices you have the choice of asurion or nothing and it is contracted through the carrier and not chosen by the customer with a choice to shop for a competitive premium/deductible

Idaho is Similar in calling it the protection plan. But when all is said and done pay for the protection plan is mainly a guarantee that one way or another that we will have a solution for you. Yeah you can go through Samsung but you can run the risk of getting your "Broken" phone back after waiting for 6-8 weeks, with no solution. Usually paying the 35 and doing an store replacement will be easier on the pocket book as well as alot faster 2-5 days at the most. This will also allow you to add the TEP if you want.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Idaho is Similar in calling it the protection plan. But when all is said and done pay for the protection plan is mainly a guarantee that one way or another that we will have a solution for you. Yeah you can go through Samsung but you can run the risk of getting your "Broken" phone back after waiting for 6-8 weeks, with no solution. Usually paying the 35 and doing an store replacement will be easier on the pocket book as well as alot faster 2-5 days at the most. This will also allow you to add the TEP if you want.

The worst part of asurion is they have no QC on what type of refurbs they send out, most of the time you get some kind of crap phone with more problems and aesthetic damage than the one you're having replaced. This is one reason why I don't have asurion or TEP. The other being that all my electronics are covered under my homeowners policy and any portable electronics (cell phones, laptops, PSP, gameboy, mp3 players etc) are covered in and out of the house from loss, theft or damage. I pay nothing extra on my premium and my deductible is $50 per device. If anything happens to my device (no matter what or what kind of device) instead of paying asurion or sprint my money up front, I file a claim with my insurance company, and 3 days later I get a check for the full MSRP of the device less $50. So if my phone is $600 off contract I would get a check for $550 which I can do whatever I want with. I could add my $50 to it and buy a brand new phone or I could cash the check buy a used device and pocket the difference. What makes it even nicer is my insurance payment are direct deposited to my bank account so i don't have to wait for a check to clear, and I get my funds in 12-72 hours depending on the time/day I filed my claim.

stonesaber

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Service is refused if the device is not running the correct software, short of a failed charging port.

Not for both of mine that have been replaced. My tech guy was running CM9 on his personal Nexus S 4g, and I told him mine were rooted and were running a ROM when the problem occurred. The first bricked one I was able to get access to the internal sd card and format it and put stock recovery back on it and the second one had the blue led of death so it didn't matter what it was running.

TonyTurboII

Jan 17, 2008
Saint Charles, MO
Not for both of mine that have been replaced. My tech guy was running CM9 on his personal Nexus S 4g, and I told him mine were rooted and were running a ROM when the problem occurred. The first bricked one I was able to get access to the internal sd card and format it and put stock recovery back on it and the second one had the blue led of death so it didn't matter what it was running.

I mean I don't care personally and I still work on them myself, but the word from above says otherwise. Seems to vary day by day though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.