Search This thread

Fidelcastrol

Mar 21, 2008
Hi,

Can you explain more how to enable gpu rendering for all the apps ? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Superpiper1972

Apr 2, 2012
Recommend to not install apps which are re-formated web pages if you don't use them.

Facebook and eBay are examples of apps which cause wakelocks no matter what settings you have. If you rarely use them, just set up a shortcut to the mobile web page and remove app.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Also, don't kill apps unless they are misbehaving

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Fidelcastrol

Mar 21, 2008
Thanks a lot. I activated it.

Does it impact battery a lot ? How about performances ?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

ataft

Apr 23, 2012
Dalian

Fidelcastrol

Mar 21, 2008
Doesn't it actually use more battery? I've read that it was used to improve phone performance, at the tradeoff of battery life. It is something you would use if you didn't have a powerful cpu.

Seems to eat up battery % a bit faster when enabled. Though that might be only me, so if someone could try it out...

The tip if installing lux auto brightness. That's a major one too .. try and report it

Yes, but it's paid app, will the lite version be enough ?

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
Doesn't it actually use more battery? I've read that it was used to improve phone performance, at the tradeoff of battery life. It is something you would use if you didn't have a powerful cpu.

strangely enabling gpu rendering makes my battery drain slower on the HTC One

i guess its behaves differently on different SOCs especially quad cores

The GPU is the Graphics Processing Unit. It’s very much like the CPU, but instead of crunching numbers and taking care of tasks for the operating system and hardware, the GPU renders graphical information and puts it on the screen for you.

The CPU can process graphical instructions just fine, but doing so takes time away from doing “other” computations, and can lead to “lag” while graphical instructions are processed. Not only that, the CPU is quite inefficient at processing graphical data as compared to other more “computational” instructions. The GPU solves both these problems, first by offloading graphics processing from the CPU (freeing it up for more important threads), and second by more efficiently handling and processing graphical data.

tickbuster

May 23, 2013
i never tried the lite version, mine is paid though

Hi, first thanks a lot for sharing the battery tips. I just started configuring Lux, could you expand on why you have two Lux same values at 10240? Also for the link at 0 value, how did you manage to get exactly 1%? As on my phone, the slider jumps from 4% to -1%.

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
Hi, first thanks a lot for sharing the battery tips. I just started configuring Lux, could you expand on why you have two Lux same values at 10240? Also for the link at 0 value, how did you manage to get exactly 1%? As on my phone, the slider jumps from 4% to -1%.

the 1% was already there when i started the app , the other 2 values are i specified myself

i m using the paid version , i am not sure though how it is on yours...maybe the free version does not allow u to do 1% increments?

basically lux does a better job of controlling auto brightness compared to the inbuilt one because u can actually specify min , max values and the brightness will change within these values

the in built auto brightness sometimes brightens the screen too much. it also does contribute to heat

Last edited:
Reactions: hanifh

Fidelcastrol

Mar 21, 2008
the in built auto brightness sometimes brightens the screen too much

It really does. Right now it's on auto, and it's burning my eyes, so I keep it at 30% manually but I'm gonna check your app.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

the 1% was already there when i started the app , the other 2 values are i specified myself

I guess that between 1% and 4% there's not a lot of difference anyway.

I also enabled again the GPU rendering and I'm gonna test it out.

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
It really does. Right now it's on auto, and it's burning my eyes, so I keep it at 30% manually but I'm gonna check your app.

the in built auto brightness cant differentiate differences between direct sunlight ( outdoor daylight glare ) and in a brightly lit room ( indoors)

we know that the in a Brightly lit room , a high brightness isnt exactly required because we dont have glare that comes from outdoor sunlight.

this is where lux comes in. u can specify these values and differentiate according to the type of light detected in a brightly lit room and that of outdoor sunlight

Last edited:

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
Right now after using lux the brightness does not jump to full in a brightly lit room . It's at 48% currently which compared to previously it will be around 65- 75%

If I turn off the lights totally it drops to 12% .

Fidelcastrol

Mar 21, 2008
Right now after using lux the brightness does not jump to full in a brightly lit room . It's at 48% currently which compared to previously it will be around 65- 75%

If I turn off the lights totally it drops to 12% .

Interesting. Will take a look into your app.

As of the GPU/CPU render, I did the following test :

Enable GPU, set brightness at 30% no power saver, browsing XDA, using the app, over Wifi :
3 minutes screen time per %

Disable GPU, set brightness at 30% no power saver, browsing XDA, using the app, over Wifi :
4 minutes screen time per % :good:

I can stretch that to 5 mins per % with power saver on (so that's 12% an hour...but we all know in real life scenarios it won't stay on that much). On 3G it's more around 3 mins per % again.

Anyway, I think that some of the tips you posted are mandatory to try...they do make a real difference and I thank you for them !

Neo-ST

Aug 17, 2010
A while ago I exchanged a few emails with the developer of lux, he told me to decrease sample collection number to off-load the cpu and increase battery life, so you should try that. I've put it to slowest, worked like a charm. Basically, it's the interval of taking samples to check brightness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for unrooted devices. If u are rooted with a custom recovery , hard reset procedures may or may not apply .

Here are some tips of mine which have seemd to work for me

Edit : if u have just updated to ota , this tweaks will work better with hard reset .
    Calibration technique: ( does not involve full drain cycle)

1) do a hard reset at 100% ( green LED) ,
    2) when phone restarts charge till (green LEd) again,
    3) Do another hard reset
    4) fully charge to 100% (green LED)

5) drain the phone to 2% remaining
    6) fully charge to 100%

1) Go to settings > network and change to WCDMA (only ) seems to make the battery drain lesser . May not work for some if coverage in yr area is spotty as it will drain more battery . But generally if u are in a country where there is good coverage and 3G everywhere, use this setting to save battery life .

2) Install this app WiFi-matic . Set the options there to what works best for u

3) go to settings - wifi - "keep wifi always on" and disable the "best wifi performance" setting . The HTC one wifi is extremely power efficient and for some it may give battery life savings more than the 3G radio sleep

4) use the in built HTC email for all your emails and avoid using separate apps for gmail and hotmail .
    The Htc email behaves more intelligently due to smart sync feature

5) Turn on the settings - deepsleep , power saver at all times and u can individually customize the power saver options to your liking . The power saver still runs 4 cores but at a lower speed but puts connections to sleep . The difference between the 2.
    Power saver - reduces brightness, cpu , vibrations and puts connections to sleep after 15 mins when screen off
    Deep sleep mode - turns them off entirely after prolonged inactivity

6) go to settings > apps and disable any apps u are not using eg. stock HTC apps or other stuff like google now.
    [Update]: Disable maps , turn off location all instances of location featurs in maps and phone settings"

7) the usual other stuff that are recommended with all phones like turn off bluetooth, gps , if u are not using them.

8) Blinkfeed - Set to update over wifi only ( edit: In the facebook app , set auto refresh interval to never for massive battery savings)

9,) disable or enable GPU rendering in settings. Helps saves battery life on quad core devices by using less of the Cpu cores . However this setting may work differently for some depending on the configuration set up eg, if power saving on /off. recommended is testing to see what works best for u. Edit : depending on your soc and phone variants, firmware . This setting either helps or does not .

10) New : go to settings backup and restore use HTC account instead of Google . Turn off daily backup .

12) New go to settings - autosync - Google , turn off all settings under "maps and latitude" and turn off "let Google maps access your location " in location settings . this steps may possible help some by minimizing the havoc Google maps does to battery life.

13) New : disable auto brightness in display and install lux auto brightness app from playstore, put values from as shown in the screenshot link for massive battery savings
    WxRFXjp.png

Why do you all want to use a SMARTPHONE as a PHONE ?
    Leave your phone at home. Just leave it.

Ridiculous battery endurance rundown apps just burn through the limited charge cycles of a sealed battery anyway ffs.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

just disable google maps in settings apps manage

You can also manually disable the screen brightness with an 8lb brick. Drop from a height of 8" or more for best results. Report back please!
    But what is it that it does? Is it better for the battery? Does it charge fuller? Extend battery life?

And you say charge from 40% with the phone off, but turn the phone on before it reaches 100%... is it better to get closer to 100 rather than further away? how do you know when it is close to being 100%? do you time your charge cycles?

See what I mean? Asking for the explanation behind this, because I haven't read about this before.

In all honesty there are probably only 2 or 3 members of this forum who know how the specific batteries in the One function. Everything else you read is hear-say and repeated garbage learned about other battery technologies. Charge the phone however you want; HTC doesn't let you fast charge to save the lifespan of the non-replaceable battery anyway. You're fine, don't worry about it.

Sent from my HTC One
    How abouth the "Snapdragon™ BatteryGuru (Beta)" which was made for Phones with Snapdragon CPU.
    I had some finde results with it on my One S.