[XAP] [12.11.2012] WMDC Launcher [Full unlock/Root Tools unlock]

Search This thread

mirolg

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 25, 2009
Hello!
Can I know if that .XAP installs files or modify the registry of my Windows Phone 7? If yes, what files I should delete and how to revert back the registry?
Thanks a lot!

a xap or generally apps install files only in isolate storage. nothing in windows folder and no modify the registry. if you remove the xap/app you remove all files of it.
only a .cab are able to install in windows folder or to change the registry over a .rgu or provxml file ........

AdryJay

Sep 4, 2011
Sorrento
www.adrianoalfaro.com
a xap or generally apps install files only in isolate storage. nothing in windows folder and no modify the registry. if you remove the xap/app you remove all files of it.
only a .cab are able to install in windows folder or to change the registry over a .rgu or provxml file ........

With WP7 Root Tools I can see in the Windows folder of my Omnia W all the files in the folder "WindowsFolder" contained in the .XAP... Also they've the same size. Are you sure about what you say? -.-'

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@mirolg is correct for a stock ROM. For fully-unlocked ROMs, it's possible for a XAP to put files into the Windows folder when installed (fully unlocked == everything, including the XAP unpacker, runs with full permissions).

In this case, though, I believe the app just copies those files over to the Windows folder. Any app with sufficient permissions can do that ("sufficient permissions" meaning via OEM driver using ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES the way older homebrew apps worked, through rolicy elevation using WP7 Root Tools, through token replacement using HtcRoot, or of course on a full-unlock ROM where everything has permissions for everything). Deleting those files from the Windows folder is probably a good start toward uninstalling, if you really want to do that, but you will probably need to revert some other changes (such as registry values, which are harder to find on cursory examination) as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdryJay and mirolg

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
No Luck

I have installed the xap, elevated it's level with WP7 Root Tools 0.9, but it does not launch automatically and I get the error message :

Terminating processes..OK
Copying files..OK
Applying security settings..OK
Starting Connection Manager..
Problem occured while creating
Connection Manager

What have I done wrong? Zune started, ActiveSync started (does not see device), I am running Windows XP SP3.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@JamesAllen: You see that big text at the top of the thread, where it says [FULLY UNLOCKED DEVICES ONLY]? Yeah, those words mean something... This tool installs new native EXE files on your phone. WP7 Root Tools can only modify policies for apps; it can't add policies for completely new programs, and without those policies you can't launch the programs. Root Tools gives the app enough permissions to install the programs, but does not actually install policies for them too as well, so the programs don't run. Therefore, the app cannot be run on a stock ROM at this time.

@mirolg: The app copies the files from the WindowsFolder in the XAP (\Applications\Install\1bb49e6d-518f-4a10-9a34-7a63041282a9\Install\WindowsFolder\*) to \Windows\. Thus the comment
AdryJay said:
I can see in the Windows folder of my Omnia W all the files in the folder "WindowsFolder" contained in the .XAP

Reactions: AdryJay and mirolg

AdryJay

Sep 4, 2011
Sorrento
www.adrianoalfaro.com
Thanks @GoodDayToDie, you're always very polite!

I would like to know from @ultrashot how to revert back my phone without resetting it. The files in the Windows folder are only 18 and would be easy to delete them (but I want to be sure that all of them are from the .XAP and can be deleted), we only have to know the registry value...

It would be the best if @ultrashot can update the App with a option to revert back the system...

Hope @ultrashot read my post... ^^

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Thanks @GoodDayToDie, you're always very polite!

I would like to know from @ultrashot how to revert back my phone without resetting it. The files in the Windows folder are only 18 and would be easy to delete them (but I want to be sure that all of them are from the .XAP and can be deleted), we only have to know the registry value...

It would be the best if @ultrashot can update the App with a option to revert back the system...

Hope @ultrashot read my post... ^^
What's the reason to remove it? It won't work anyway if you don't launch it.

Reactions: vt2912

AdryJay

Sep 4, 2011
Sorrento
www.adrianoalfaro.com
What's the reason to remove it? It won't work anyway if you don't launch it.

Thanks for the reply. I want to remove that files becouse I need do free up space in my phone (only 8 GB) and I want to keep it clean. Why should I have that file in my phone if I don't use the app? :confused:

The question are: can I remove the file of WindowsFolder in root\Windows (so, you don't have to write their name becouse I already know the names; you only have to answare yes/no)?
And... Can you list the registry values to delete?

Thanks a lot! ;-)

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Thanks for the reply. I want to remove that files becouse I need do free up space in my phone (only 8 GB) and I want to keep it clean. Why should I have that file in my phone if I don't use the app? :confused:

The question are: can I remove the file of WindowsFolder in root\Windows (so, you don't have to write their name becouse I already know the names; you only have to answare yes/no)?
And... Can you list the registry values to delete?

Thanks a lot! ;-)
OMG. Of course 3MBs will make difference! :D I don't even think it utilises built-in SD card.
Delete WindowsFolder content from \Windows\ and \Windows\CoreCon1.1\.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CoreCon]
;the whole key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSync]
"DeviceConfigured"
"DeviceManufacturer"
"DeviceModel"
"DeviceIcon"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\OOM\DoNotKillApps]
"\\windows\\edm2p.exe"
"\\windows\\ConManClient2.exe"
"\\windows\\CMAccept.exe"
"\\windows\\rapiclnt.exe"
"\\windows\\rapiworker.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System]
"CoreConOverrideSecurity"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies]
"00001001"

Last edited:
Reactions: AdryJay

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Thanks

@JamesAllen: You see that big text at the top of the thread, where it says [FULLY UNLOCKED DEVICES ONLY]? Yeah, those words mean something... This tool installs new native EXE files on your phone. WP7 Root Tools can only modify policies for apps; it can't add policies for completely new programs, and without those policies you can't launch the programs. Root Tools gives the app enough permissions to install the programs, but does not actually install policies for them too as well, so the programs don't run. Therefore, the app cannot be run on a stock ROM at this time.

So many apps claiming that the ROM needs to be "fully unlocked" will run if the device has WP7 Root Tools .9 and the app is elevated. It's more the rule than the exception anymore. I took a chance that this app would run if permissions were elevated. My error.

toza

Jan 4, 2009
Just a question, because I didn't quite understand it...

When you install this app, do you have to run Zune simultaneously with it or you can run WMDC without synchronizing with Zune?

What I meant is, let's say I plug my WP7 into another Windows 7 computer, that hasn't got Zune pre-installed on it, but has WMDC. Will I be able to transfer pictures from device to that computer using WMDC only or do I have to have Zune installed on that machine too?

I hope you got the question;)
Thanks!

toza

Jan 4, 2009
Thank you AndrewSh!

I understand now:) I thaught that by using this app, a user can somehow bypass the "Zune sync". I just wish that in some further updates, MS will integrate some type of USB Mass Storage mode, even the simple one, so Zune could "go away".:D

Anyway, sincere thumbs up for developers who worked and are still working on this great project!;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WMDC Launcher
    Native Debugger continuation

Do you miss fast & stable WP7 File Managers and Registry Editors for PC? If you do, there is a new approach for you - Windows Mobile Device Center Launcher.

What is it?
    Windows Mobile Device Center/ActiveSync are legacy applications made by Microsoft. They provide an access to file system, registry, ... let's say, they provide full remote access to connected phone's features.

What's this launcher for?
    Main purpose of this application is to enable Remote API support on device. PC will detect phone as WM and WP7 device simultaneously. Zune will still work.

Capabilities:
    • File managers. Almost every file manager that has WM support will work on WP7. Nice examples: Windows Explorer, Resco SendTo plugin (part of Resco File Explorer installation), CE Remote Tools File Manager, Altap Salamander, etc.
    • Registry Editors: CE Remote Tools Registry Editor, CeRegEdit, Registry Workshop.
    • Most of CE Remote Tools work.
    • Native debugging.
    • Many more apps support...

What's missed:
    There is no contacts/file/calendar/etc synchronization. PC may still offer it but it won't work.

As for debugging:
    IDA debugger also should work after a bit of editing magic.

Custom ROM usage:
    Usage is limited. You should ask me (ultrashot) for permission.

Neither Microsoft nor author of this launcher are responsible for any damage caused by application usage. Application is distributed AS IS without any warranties. Launcher cannot be sold.

FULLY UNLOCKED AND WP7 ROOT TOOLS >=0.12 ALPHA
    -No, not interop unlocked!
    -No, not developer unlocked!
    -No, not WP7 Root Tools-unlocked! FIXED, use WP7 Root Tools >=0.12 ALPHA
    Added a special version compatible with next WP7 Root Tools release. Works with full unlock as well.
    It isn't the version that supposed to have newer ConmanClient binaries.
    really great work..
    i have install the xap and all works.
    so far so good, but where i can find the registry.
    the fileexplorer is showing to me, but no link to registry.

maybe i must install anything else or have to change some settings for registry edit?
    i don't know.. please help me.. i use hd7 with nextgen+ 2.6..

thanks
    Install CeRegEdit or Registry Workshop and enjoy.
    So Magrip, on May 15 you posted:
    On May 21 you posted:
    Either try to be more specific, or stop ****ting in the topic.

Does this mean a WP7 device shows up as sync-able in Windows Media Player, after it's connected via WMDC? Thanks.
    Answer:
    msdn at ms site said:
    The Remote API (RAPI) library enables applications that run on a desktop to perform actions on a remote Windows Phone device. The functionality that RAPI provides includes the ability to manipulate the file system on the remote device, including the creation and deletion of files and directories. RAPI functions can be used to create and modify databases, either in the device's object store or in mounted database volumes. RAPI applications can also query and modify registry keys as well as launch applications and invoke methods on the remote device. Although most RAPI functions are duplicates of functions in the Windows Embedded CE API, a few new functions extend the API. Use these functions to initialize the RAPI subsystem and enhance performance of the communication link by compressing iterative operations into one RAPI call.
    Nothing about synchronization, I suppose, no?
    Current program allows full access to file system and registry of WP device from PC. No sync is implemented - neither to Outlook (contacts), nor to other things...