[DISCUSSION] Ubuntu mobile OS

Search This thread

Midnitte

Jun 17, 2010
New Jersey
How open its it going to be? Completely open to where you can edit anything or like Microsoft where only certain things can be accessed?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Phone: Samsung galaxy s2 t989
Rom: Jedi knight 6 4.0.4
Kernel: Jedi kernel 2
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
and you thought celebrities weren't smart. =P

its open source, so yea. it has to be.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

eww242

Dec 30, 2010
I think this would be something cool to dual boot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
I think this would be something cool to dual boot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk HD

You could run it over your android as kind of like an app.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Phone: Samsung galaxy s2 t989
Rom: Jedi knight 6 4.0.4
Kernel: Jedi kernel 2
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
and you thought celebrities weren't smart. =P

Hr Kristian

Jun 17, 2012
Borre
That already exists, dual boot means multiple stand-alone OSes.
I.e. no emulation, virtual machines, what have you

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Hjax

Sep 14, 2012
Ledyard, CT
I am really excited for this to start getting ported to all sorts of devices (depends how good it actually ends up being) but i can see something like this being my daily driver in the futre :)

leptone

Aug 29, 2012
Anyone know whether it will run full Ubuntu Unity when dock, like in the Ubuntu for Android demos?

Will you be able to use the Samsung smart dock for the note 2?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Snakeatermgs

Sep 23, 2012
Las Vegas
i know Ubuntu in general has had some on and off popularity, and i feel it will be the same with this OS unlessthey bring something absolutely new and better than what's currently out. I personally LOVE getting rid of onscreen buttons...my gosh do i loathe onscreen buttons...why not place buttons right under the screen? or better yet...use gestures from Ubuntu OS...mmmh loving it already, hope they get rid of any lag.

r3dn1t3

Aug 3, 2011
i know Ubuntu in general has had some on and off popularity, and i feel it will be the same with this OS unlessthey bring something absolutely new and better than what's currently out. I personally LOVE getting rid of onscreen buttons...my gosh do i loathe onscreen buttons...why not place buttons right under the screen? or better yet...use gestures from Ubuntu OS...mmmh loving it already, hope they get rid of any lag.

They have gestures already, this has been done. Buttons at the bottom we have to be careful. Because Google has them under wraps at the moment, keep in mind that Google will probably not do anything to harm this, the press will.

What I am hoping that will be pushed is the docking system for Ubuntu to a screen. I think its a genius idea, and is a serious viability for the workplace.
The challenge is protecting the data you use from office to home with the phone.

Another thing I can see a possibility is a shift in Operating Systems, since once again, Windows 8 is something that is not going to be used, as current generation workplaces will not spend the required money to teach a pointless UI.

When it comes down to it, Android is ahead for customization, and not being pinned down to a single uniformed look. Ubuntu will go far in this market.

bobaz

Feb 24, 2011
Gdańsk
Nice, but - what is the purpouse? Ubuntu on mobiles just for fun? Is there any purpouse in dividing market between linux distributions?

Top Liked Posts