[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [SPR L710VPBLJ7] JB 4.1.1

Search This thread

IBNobody

Sep 20, 2010
If this method is used and I follow the DD method to install CWM, I either have to reflash a stock image or reflash your image if I want to do a normal OTA, correct?

I think that's how it has to work because the OTA update will only install from the stock recovery. The only way to put stock recovery on is to use a stock Odin image or your tinkered stock image.

Can you help confirm/deny this?

spydc

Jun 23, 2007
I can confirm that the image works for root without tripping the counter. I also used voodoo ota keeper to apply the updates without loosing root. I did not try CWM yet but i will try that next.

spydc

Jun 23, 2007
I wanted to thank the OP for this post. The rooted image file worked and it did not trigger the flash counter. However, my next step is to install CWM but I have a few questions that need clarification.

1) CWM Recovery vs CWM Touch? Is one better than the other or is the only difference touch capability?

2) Method 1 will supposedly allow me to install CWM on my device without triggering the flash counter. I was under the impression that Method 2 (Mobile Odin) would also not trigger the flash counter. Is that not the case?

3) Once CWM is installed, can I install as many CWM Custom roms as I want within CWM without triggering flash counter? I have read alot of conflicting info that flashing custom roms within CWM also increases flash counter

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
I wanted to thank the OP for this post. The rooted image file worked and it did not trigger the flash counter. However, my next step is to install CWM but I have a few questions that need clarification.

1) CWM Recovery vs CWM Touch? Is one better than the other or is the only difference touch capability?

2) Method 1 will supposedly allow me to install CWM on my device without triggering the flash counter. I was under the impression that Method 2 (Mobile Odin) would also not trigger the flash counter. Is that not the case?

3) Once CWM is installed, can I install as many CWM Custom roms as I want within CWM without triggering flash counter? I have read alot of conflicting info that flashing custom roms within CWM also increases flash counter

1... neither is better than the other. The only difference is the touch version uses the touch screen ui rather than the buttons. Something to note. Mechanical buttons eventually break. There were a few nexus owners that the buttons broke after there phones warranty expired. They were able to load the touch and keep there phones in service.

2... Correct... Mobile Odin will not trip the counter.

3... Correct again... Roms and Kernel or anything else flashed in cwm will not add to the flash count. The only time counts are added is when you go into download mode and use Odin from your desktop.

EDIT: If you are flashing the stock samsung rom with Odin, it's not supposed to trip the counter.

Last edited:

caguas56

May 25, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
Correct. Anything that is a stock Samsung provided file(or phone thinks it is Samsung provided file) will not trip the counter.

and where can I find a samsung provided Stock rom???. do you have the xda link?.

thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

1... neither is better than the other. The only difference is the touch version uses the touch screen ui rather than the buttons. Something to note. Mechanical buttons eventually break. There were a few nexus owners that the buttons broke after there phones warranty expired. They were able to load the touch and keep there phones in service.

3... Correct again... Roms and Kernel or anything else flashed in cwm will not add to the flash count. The only time counts are added is when you go into download mode and use Odin from your desktop.

for your answer #2 this apears on mobile odin - quote "For discussion, check out the forum thread on XDA-Developers.com : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1347899".

this may help.

samcintron

Jul 12, 2010

So now i'm confused as you have to use Odin in download mode to install this rom.

From OP: Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar you downloaded.

doesn't matter to me as i've tripped mine already but trying to understand the Samsung method coming from an HTC device has been a little confusing :eek:

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

i would like to flash this rom so that i can accept ota updates as they become available. using OTA rootkeeper after flashing, do i need to temp unroot first, then accept ota and finally restore root?

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen

So now i'm confused as you have to use Odin in download mode to install this rom.

From OP: Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar you downloaded.

doesn't matter to me as i've tripped mine already but trying to understand the Samsung method coming from an HTC device has been a little confusing :eek:

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

i would like to flash this rom so that i can accept ota updates as they become available. using OTA rootkeeper after flashing, do i need to temp unroot first, then accept ota and finally restore root?

If it is the stock samsung rom it is not supposed to trip the counter. I will edit my post. :D

samcintron

Jul 12, 2010
OK, first and foremost BIG THANK YOU to mrRobinson. I was rooted with the "old" method and was tired of seeing those update notifications. So I gave this a shot and it worked FLAWLESSLY. Anyone else worried about what to expect, this was my experience:

I was coming from rooted/cwm recovery LF9. Using Odin I flashed this rom, took less than 10 mins from start to reboot. I installed OTA rootkeeper and protected root. Installed both of the Samsung OTA's bringing me from LEN -> LF9 -> LG2. Then using rootkeeper, restored root.

Other observations, as noted this will NOT up your counter. I was at 2 and remain at 2. This also retained ALL my data/apps as well returned my device from a MODIFIED status to a NORMAL one :D

Now I just need a way to reset my counter and I'm 100%

BrandonEnr7

Sep 4, 2010
Walnut Creek, CA
I read through the whole topic but didn't see any questions regarding my concern. Before I do this, I am running LG2 stock non-rooted, can I still use this method to downgrade to LEN with the injected root files from the OP?

Also I read that user data will not be wiped, but has anyone who downgraded like I am attempting, have any issues?

woshiweili

May 9, 2011
I am so confused :(

I rooted a few days ago with the "Odin" software following instructions from the video in the sticky thread. Does that mean I have to somehow unroot and reroot?

BrandonEnr7

Sep 4, 2010
Walnut Creek, CA
No, this is just a different method of rooting. If you are already rooted the other method you already tripped your flash counter and it won't make a difference. Please correct me if I am wrong guys.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a completely stock ODIN flashable ROM with root injected into the system image. The latest image is based off of the official Kies SPR L710VPBLJ7 release which is the first official JB release on this phone.
    This is a fairly easy way to get root WITHOUT tripping the flash counter that will void the warranty. If you don't care about tripping the counter then you can get root other ways.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SPH-L710 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:

SPR Image (JB 4.1.1)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - root66_SPR_L710VPBLJ7.7z

SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALI3

Old SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALEN

Second,
    Extract the root66_SPR_L710VPALI3.tar from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Third, (optional) - on a Jelly Bean release, loading a non-stock recovery will trip your flash counter.
    If you want to get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
    Once rebooted you can essentially follow this thread to load the clockworkmod recovery but make sure you use METHOD 1 or you will trip the counter. As long as you flash the recovery using the dd method with adb (or use terminal emulator from the play store) then you will NOT trip the flash counter. If you use ODIN to flash a custom recovery you will trip the counter.
    The standard CWM recovery is here and the touch recovery is here.

If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and a decent de-bloat.

OTA Updates
    I understand on Sprint there are OTA updates available. If you use this root method and want to move to an OTA update you basically have two options.
    1. After using this method you can grab voodoo OTA rootkeeper from the play store and apply the update straight as it is from OTA. The rootkeeper app should keep root for you after the update is applied.
    2. Find someone who made a CWM flashable update, potentially with certain pieces removed and simply flash it in CWM.

Thanks
    To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.
    Correct. It will not wipe data. You may want to depending on your needs.
    Does this wipe data?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Since the original .tar file didn't wipe data, I'll go out on a limb and say this doesn't either. However, if you're restoring your home .tar file for warranty purposes I'd suggest performing a full wipe in CWM prior to flashing this in Odin, or Mobile Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    so to go back to completely stock, you would flash a stock tar in odin and that wouldn't trip the counter either?

Correct. Anything that is a stock Samsung provided file(or phone thinks it is Samsung provided file) will not trip the counter.
    so not to sound stupid, but after doing this method and getting root and CWM, then we can flash anything in cwm without tripping the counter correct?

That's what I'm wondering. Anyhoo, is there any basis to state that the tripping the flash counter will void the warranty or is that just a wild assumption?