[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

36 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By poseidon5213, Member on 26th April 2012, 06:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th August 2015, 11:40 AM |#14071  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
On Sep. Many new device will be released.
Iphone 6S and 6S plus,Galaxy S6 edge+,Note5
also many Chinese phone, Xiaomi, Blackview, Lenovo/MOTO.
recently i bought the Xiaomi 4. but the Signal in the middle, Compete With blackview Alife p1 pro and Samsung Galaxy Note4,
The best is blackview Alife p1 pro,but the worst is Galaxy Note 4.
the next smartphone i will consider I phone or Chinese phone.
29th August 2015, 12:00 PM |#14072  
Flag Bursa
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Mt6572 ahaha

Sent from my Trident-A1 using XDA Free mobile app
29th August 2015, 12:36 PM |#14073  
Thanks Meter: 103

Donate to Me
More
1 ghz hahaha blackview sucks.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app
29th August 2015, 01:03 PM |#14074  
Flag Yerevan
Thanks Meter: 124

More
And what about Meizu MX5 vs OnePlus Two? Help me pls with phone of this level and power. I need it in coming month. And I dont want too big phones like Xiaomi Note Pro or Nexus 6.

Btw, is there any news about new Nexus release date?
29th August 2015, 01:34 PM |#14075  
Thanks Meter: 358

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng3

I've got an HTC Incredible LTE. Android, 4in, 0.46in thick, 4.66oz. I love the size. I got Lollipop lite on it but its showing its age in terms of performance, camera quality, battery life. I bought another battery so that's manageable.

I'm looking for a new phone but not sure what to get meeting my requirements (in order of importance):
1. Android
2. I travel alot, so it must be a global phone (ie. HSPDA 2100).
3. A 4.3in phone would be ideal but with all the huge phones out now, it's hard to find a small (sub 5in) phone that can fit comfortably in my jeans/shirt pocket. And by comfortable, I don't mean those people that say their iphone6 fits fine in their back pocket when more than 50% sticks out.
4. Camera quality. The most used features on my phone are google maps and camera.
5. "Popularity". Enough XDA presence that people are making custom ROMs
6. Removable Battery. I assume any new phone will have better battery life than my current phone but being able to swap batteries nice
7. MicroSD
8. Verizon compatible (only signal I can receive at my office and I'd like to keep my unlimited)

I'm willing to buy my phone at full price if necessary.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Your list reminds me of a recent MKBHD video except that you didn't break your phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkab1LUqlg lol.

Let me take you through my journey as it may allow you to compromise a bit for a better overall experience. The first device that came to mind was the Z3 compact. It's close to meeting your ideal size requirement of 4.3 inches (Z3c has a 4.6 in screen while being thinner and lighter than your current phone), however, it didn't meet 6 (although it does get well above average battery life )and 8 which seems like bigger deal breaker.

I then turned my attention the the Galaxy Alpha. Again, it was also close to meeting your ideal size requirement (Alpha has a 4.7 inch screen), but also it has a removable battery. However, this time the phone failed on 5, 7, and 8. It only comes in I believe a 32 GB variant that is only on AT&T. Development on the device isn't that popular.

Sticking with Samsung I took a look at it's older flagship the Galaxy S 5. It passed all you're criteria except 3 >.<. It's screen size is just over 5 inches at 5.1. However, I have to say that it does look pretty nice even when compared to the newer version. This was the closest I got. I could think of others like the upcoming Z4v, the older Z3v, and etc but all missed 3 and 6 or worse 4.

I decided to consult the web, and look for best smartphones under 5 inches and best phones with removable batteries. I found some pretty uninspiring/unsurprising results: http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-b...teries_id68011, http://time.com/39644/the-10-best-sm...-named-iphone/, and http://www.phonearena.com/news/10-gr...ht-now_id65732. Every phone missed one or more criteria. I'd like to point out that many of the phones being recommended were about the same age as the one you have now meaning that community support would soon die out (or was pretty much non-existent), and many other things wouldn't be that much better anyway.

I finally settled on just making a list of which ones I think would be best given that you're willing to compromise on some of the things listed so here we go. By the way most of the phones here will be reoccurring from what I've said previously.

1) Galaxy S 5 (misses 3)
2) Z3 compact (misses 3 *by a little*, 6 *still has well above average battery life + quick charging*, and 8)
3) Galaxy S6 Active (misses 3, 5, 6 *still has well above average battery life*, 7, 8)
4) Xperia Z3v/Z4v (misses 3, 5, 6)
5) Droid Turbo (misses 3, 5, 6, 7)
6) Galaxy Alpha (misses 3 *by a little*, 5, 7, 8)
7) Moto G 2015 (misses 3, 4 (only during low light shots), and 6)

I would have recommend the HTC M series (M7/M8/M9), but its camera isn't up to par, and since the camera is one of your most used features it wouldn't have made much sense. I also would have recommend the new the LG G series (G3/G4) and the new Moto, but they are phablets, which can't fit into pockets that easily.

If you can forgo the screen size and move up to 5 inches then I suggest going for the S 5 as it meets the most of your list. Hope this helps.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to obscuresword For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift obscuresword Ad-Free
29th August 2015, 02:52 PM |#14076  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Now that I upgraded my phone, is it a problem giving a potential buyer the IMEI prior to buying it?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
29th August 2015, 03:34 PM |#14077  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuresword

1) Galaxy S 5 (misses 3)
2) Z3 compact (misses 3 *by a little*, 6 *still has well above average battery life + quick charging*, and 8)
3) Galaxy S6 Active (misses 3, 5, 6 *still has well above average battery life*, 7, 8)
4) Xperia Z3v/Z4v (misses 3, 5, 6)
5) Droid Turbo (misses 3, 5, 6, 7)
6) Galaxy Alpha (misses 3 *by a little*, 5, 7, 8)
7) Moto G 2015 (misses 3, 4 (only during low light shots), and 6)

I would have recommend the HTC M series (M7/M8/M9), but its camera isn't up to par, and since the camera is one of your most used features it wouldn't have made much sense. I also would have recommend the new the LG G series (G3/G4) and the new Moto, but they are phablets, which can't fit into pockets that easily.

If you can forgo the screen size and move up to 5 inches then I suggest going for the S 5 as it meets the most of your list. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I did consult gsmarena and phonearena before posting. That's a funny video. I don't know if I'm looking for the "perfect" phone, but looking over my list, I think a few of the items are major limiting factors.

1. Android (not very limiting)
2. Global, not limiting but mixed with 8 (Verizon) cuts out alot of choices. But maybe I'm willing to give up my unlimited plan
3. Under 5in, I think that cuts out alot of phones as well (unfortunately my pocket size does change very much so it's hard to compromise on this. What do other guys do? Wear a belt clip? Carry a purse? Back pocket? Just always have one hand not free? )
4. Camera quality, I don't think this should be that limiting. I assume most new phones coming out will have a better camera than my current one. But If that is one of my main focus areas (no pun intended), then maybe it does limit me to the higher end phones
5. "Popularity", By definition, I think this is limiting. Mainly, this gives me upgrade protection. My old HTC Incredible LTE is now running Lollipop, letting me get another year or so out of the phone
6. Removable Battery, I think this is pretty common
7. MicroSD, I think this is fairly common

I guess I should have mentioned that another requirement is that the phone needs to be new and not the same age as mine. Getting another old phone just delays the problem a few months. That's the whole point of me getting a new phone. So limiting to phones from this year I guess

I did look at the Z3c in the past. I had forgotten about it since its a little older. If I recall, like you mention, no removable battery made me look elsewhere. And also not being verizon compatible. I'll have to put it on my maybe list.

I actually just read a comparison review between the HTC One Mini 2 and the Samsung Galaxy Alpha. Both seemed pretty good but they were older. It made me wonder if they might be putting out similar sized newer phones this year in the fall. I did check on xda and saw it wasnt very popular.

Looking at your list, the Z3c and Galaxy alpha are the only sub 5" phones so maybe one of those.
Or, just keep waiting
The Following User Says Thank You to eng3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eng3 Ad-Free
29th August 2015, 03:46 PM |#14078  
Flag Bursa
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanandroid

1 ghz hahaha blackview sucks.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

But I can play GTA:SA with 25 fps and I have got 512+1GB ram

Sent from my Trident-A1 using XDA Free mobile app
29th August 2015, 04:03 PM |#14079  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm considering getting the hauwei ascend mate 2 it seems to meet most all of my needs except the nfc which I don't really use now as it is.
29th August 2015, 05:28 PM |#14080  
Flag Floridablanca
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhadee12

Now that I upgraded my phone, is it a problem giving a potential buyer the IMEI prior to buying it?

Dont do it, if the person needs to check is your IMEI is ok do it yourself in front of him or something like that, dont send it through internet unless you really trust this person.
The Following User Says Thank You to eldoggor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eldoggor Ad-Free
29th August 2015, 05:30 PM |#14081  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldoggor

Dont do it, if the person needs to check is your IMEI is ok do it yourself in front of him or something like that, dont send it through internet unless you really trust this person.

Thanks, I got a couple text requesting it. I did tell them I want comfortable doing it, but they could check it in person at the time of the deal.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)