Cannot update Radio from Hell 1.65.17.10 : [SOLVED] with FrankenKaiser

Search This thread

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
May 19th, 2008

With my new and revolutionary tool "FrankenKaiser" you can now finally jailbreak your locked to "Radio from Hell" Kaiser :D

======================================================
DISCLAIMER: This method involves erasing SPL & OS and requires correct data entry by the user. I will not take any responsibility for any malfunctions and or damages caused by using this method and software.

Pay attention: this method will only work on a Kaiser device with radio version 1.65.17.10 (check your radio version in the boot splash screen!)

Note that you can not use copy & paste with MTTY, you must type the data exactly as written in the steps below. If in a step it is said to type a command always type them without the quotes.

Note that during the entire procedure you should uncheck "Allow usb connections" in Activesync.

I have tested the method on my own Kaiser, which was security locked and had original 1.65.17.10 installed. I'm on WinXP btw. GSLEON3 also succesfully unbricked his Kaiser with FrankenKaiser which had radio 1.64.08.21 installed. That should give you some confidence :)

So read very carefully and apply following instructions:

0) download and unzip the attached files on your PC in a single directory.
It contains all needed to jailbreak or unbrick your device, such as MTTY 1.42, my revolutionary FrankenKaiser program, screenshots to accompany this readme, the appropriate drivers to connect to the radio bootloader ("Drivers MotoQ"), and two softload SPLs (SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb and sspl-0.92-jumpspl-force-usb.nb)

1) Enter tricolor bootloader and make absolutely sure you have a HardSPL installed (either "olipof" or "1.1.JockyW"). If not you must first install a HardSPL.

2) Connect with MTTY (USB) and type "rtask a" followed by Enter, then type "radata 90000000 1" followed by enter (Note that this is not echoed to screen!!). In some rare cases after "radata 90000000 1" you may see "HTCSUN 0[=(HTCE". When that happens type "radata A0000000 2000"

Close MTTY and replug the USB cable. If you haven't installed them yet, your PC will now prompt you to install three drivers. Do a manual install of the MotoQ drivers. After the drivers are installed look them up in device manager and check which COM port is allocated to "Qualcomm diagnostics interface (COMxx)" => see screenshot "1. device manager search com.JPG" (on my PC it is COM4 but it may be anything else!).
If the driver is connected to COM10 or higher you should reallocate it to a COM port lower than COM10. Go in device manager and rightclick on "qualcomm diagnositcs interface 6000 (com18)". Enter properties -> Port Settings -> Advanced -> Change COM port number to an unused port number below COM10. If you have nothing free below COM10 disable a device which uses a COM and change to that COM port. Reboot your PC afterwards.

3) Remove and reinsert battery and enter tricolor bootloader, and connect with MTTY (USB)
hit enter and when the Cmd> prompt is shown type "task 2a" (this erases SPL, OS and Splash, we used to call that a "hard brick") => see screenshot "2. mtty-tricolor - task 2a.JPG"

After power cycling, the device will now enter the radio bootloader called oemsbl. Utterly the phone will look dead and the display is black, but it is still possible to connect with MTTY using the COM port as found in step 2. I indicate that in the next steps with MTTY (COMn) => see screenshot "3. mtty-com-connect.JPG". Also note that you never have to redo steps 1-3 again.

4) Remove and reinsert battery, switch on and connect with MTTY (COMn). Type "setboot", if you are connected correctly the reply should be "ARM9BootMode:0". If you see nothing check in device manager if the drivers are loaded. If you got the reply to "setboot" you can type "radata 90000000 1" which will put the phone in a special "dload mode". In some rare cases after "radata 90000000 1" you see "HTCSUN 0[=(HTCE" and the phone will not change state to dload mode. When that happens type "radata A0000000 2000" and this time nothing should be returned on screen and the phone changed to dload mode.
Again note that, like in step 2, nothing is echoed to screen!!

Close MTTY.

5) Replug USB cable !!

6) Run FrankenKaiser in a DOS box: FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.exe /dev/com9 SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb
(note substitute /dev/com9 by the com port indicated by diag driver in device manager, e.g. /dev/com4 on my PC)

You should see:
Code:
=== FrankenKaiser Unbricker for HTC Kaiser (c)2008 by jockyw2001
=== Jailbreaker for the 'Radio from Hell 1.65.17.10'
=== Donations happily accepted, paypal to [email]jocky_wilson@hotmail.com[/email]

=== ATTENTION: only use this particular version with Kaiser:
===            radio version R1.65.17.10 - oemsbl HTC_BOOT V1.9517

SPL file read

Just be patient while I'm working ...
7e 02 6a d3 7e

Replug USB cable now!

Connect with MTTY and follow instructions !!!

If you don't see "7e 02 6a d3 7e" underneath the line "Just be patient while I'm working ...", you have either not replugged the usb cable, not installed the drivers correctly or type the wrong com port (/dev/comx) in the command line parameters.
=> see screenshot "4. dos box - frankenkaiser.JPG"

7) Run MTTY (COMn) and carefully enter following commands:
echo_on (the reply in MTTY should be "ECHO ON MODE")
setboot 1
=> see screenshot "5. mtty-echo_on setboot 1.JPG"

mb 9de8bc => dump HTC security area
mw 9de8bc 1 31313131 (replaces first half CID by SuperCID "1111")
mw 9de8c0 1 31313131 (replaces second half CID by SuperCID "1111")
mw 9de8e4 1 00000000 (Sets security flag to 0, sec unlocked)
mb 9de8bc => dump HTC security area again and check if CID and security flag are modified in memory
=> see screenshot "6. mtty-mb 9de8bc.JPG"

setinfo
powerdown
=> see screenshot "7. mtty- setinfo - powerdown.JPG"

Close MTTY

At this point your Kaiser is unjailed, security unlocked (and SIM unlocked) and SuperCID :) Now we need to prepare another run with FrankenKaiser to softload a SPL which will allow us to flash a HardSPL. In principle steps 1-7 need never to be done again.

8a) Unplug usb cable, remove and reinsert battery, replug usb cable and then power on. Connect with MTTY (COMn):
- type "echo_on". (the reply in MTTY should be "ECHO ON MODE". if you see that it means you never have to perform steps 1-7 again. If you don't, something went wrong in steps 1-7 or there is a connectivity problem)
- type "setboot 1" (you should see "ARM9BootMode:1").
- Close MTTY !!

8b) Unplug usb cable, remove and reinsert battery, replug usb cable and then power on. Connect with MTTY (COMn):
- type "echo_on". (you should see "ECHO ON MODE")
- type "dload" to put phone in dload mode.
- Close MTTY !!

9) Replug USB cable and then wait 10 seconds

10) Run FrankenKaiser in a DOS box: FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.exe /dev/com9 SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb
(note substitute /dev/com9 by the com port indicated by diag driver in device manager).
You should see the lines:
7e 02 6a d3 7e

FrankenKaiser will prompt you to replug the usb cable. After you have done that you should wait about 10 seconds before proceeding with step 11.

11) Run MTTY (COMn)
- type "echo_on" (you should see "ECHO ON MODE", if not then there is a connectivity issue: close MTTY, unplug usb cable, wait 10 seconds, replug usb cable and repeat step 11.)
- type "setboot 0" (you should see "ARM9BootMode:0")
- type "cego" => tri-color screen should be visible and the reply in MTTY should be "Boot CE manually..." followed on the next line by "Done."

=> see screenshot "8. mtty-setboot 0 - cego.JPG"
If after "cego" you don't see a tri-color bootloader screen, then unplug usb cable and unplug and reinsert battery and try steps 8-11 again.
If still no tri-color screen, then repeat again but this time in step 10 run FrankenKaiser with the other SPL "sspl-0.92-jumpspl-force-usb.nb".

Close MTTY

12) Replug USB cable and flash HardSPL

13) Remove and reinsert battery, enter tricolor bootloader and flash Splash

14) Remove and reinsert battery, enter tricolor bootloader and flash OS

15) Remove and reinsert battery, enter tricolor bootloader and flash Radio

Note: at step 13 it's probably also possible to flash a full ROM update, I prefer to do it bits and pieces.

This I hope shows the power of FrankenKaiser: it manages to unjail, security unlock, SIM unlock and superCID a device which is basically in a bricked state w/o the need to flash a patched radio. Look forward to other FrankenKaiser tools such as a fast SPL loader and radio dumper.

Special versions of FrankenKaiser will be released for the new HTC models Diamond and Raphael and more :)

Attachments

• FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.zip
    996.3 KB · Views: 3,833
  • screenshots.zip
    333.7 KB · Views: 2,261
  • HardSPL1.1.JockyW.zip
    448.5 KB · Views: 2,681
Last edited:

jockyw2001

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 17, 2007
Remaining 3 screenshots attached and thumbnailed.

EDIT:
The attached Readme substitutes the one supplied with FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.zip

Attachments

• Readme.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

P1Tater

Retired Senior Moderator
Nov 28, 2007
In UR Head
Might I be the first to say, Job well Done.:D:)

Edit:
I do have a question though. My phone is "Security Unlocked" thanks to you. However, I for the life of me cant get SPL1.1 JockyW with AT support flashed to my device no matter what I try. Is it possible to change SPL with this new Krankenkaiser software. Right now I have 1.0.Olipof SPL. Sorry, this might be the wrong thread. Just looking for a solution.

Last edited:

IronManDS

Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for the hard work. Seems like a daunting task to get it unlocked, but at least we have a method! Off to try it out!

Thanks again,

J

pklovecraft

Feb 3, 2008
Riverside CA
Thanks for your epic effort, will try when I get home.
Btw, read through your post twice and am confused with battery removal/reinsertion. First mention is remove and reinsert in same step, then later is reinsert without previous mention of remove. Lastly, reinsert. and again. and again. I'm really paranoid about digging myself a deeper hole...could you please clarify?

RizwanKhan

Apr 10, 2008
Aiur
thanks for such a awesome tool and for your efforts.

p.s. i already security unlocked myself using ur tools so i fear no radio :D

RizwanKhan

Apr 10, 2008
Aiur
Might I be the first to say, Job well Done.:D:)

Edit:
I do have a question though. My phone is "Security Unlocked" thanks to you. However, I for the life of me cant get SPL1.1 JockyW with AT support flashed to my device no matter what I try. Is it possible to change SPL with this new Krankenkaiser software. Right now I have 1.0.Olipof SPL. Sorry, this might be the wrong thread. Just looking for a solution.

if my 2 cents count i had to downgrade to wm6 to get it to work for me ...

haven't tried frankenkaiser so i don't know if that will do the trick.

Mare of Earth

Aug 26, 2007
You are a genius!!!
I was really worried about all of the mtty commands, but your instructions were clearly written and easy to follow.
Thank you!

NO MORE RADIO FROM HELL!!!!!!! WHOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!

dwsco

Jul 12, 2006
Progreso, Yucatan
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Just to be absolutely sure...

You say 'Only works on Kaiser devices'. Might be a stupid question but having been burned once I make sure before I do anything now.

This WILL work on a Tilt right? Not just a Kaiser?

thomassster

Jun 21, 2006
San Jose
now I got a windows problem. When trying to manually install these drivers, windows find some random newer drivers on my system that possibly might not be the same drivers as the MotoQ. I think I gotta uninstall these drivers and choose the motoQ drivers. How do I do this?

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 149

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
i get to the CEGO step, and my screen is not coming back on.. i followed instructions.. i had 1.1.JockyW spl on my device prior to flashing..

Code:
C:\FrankenKaiser-V1[1].9517>FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.exe /dev/com5 SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb

=== Donations happily accepted, paypal to [EMAIL="jocky_wilson@hotmail.com"]jocky_wilson@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
SPL file read
7e 02 6a d3 7e
Replug USB cable now!

Code:
C:\FrankenKaiser-V1[1].9517>FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.exe /dev/com5 SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb

=== Donations happily accepted, paypal to [EMAIL="jocky_wilson@hotmail.com"]jocky_wilson@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]
SPL file read

Replug USB cable now!

Code:
echo_on
ECHO ON MODE
setboot 0
ARM9BootMode:0
cego
Boot CE manually...
Done.

i can also still communicate via mtty

dwsco

Jul 12, 2006
Progreso, Yucatan
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Please read the Wiki ... Kaiser is a Tilt!!!

If you dont know this ... do not use this tool!

As I said in my original post. I know a kaiser is a Tilt and visa versa... but I also know that doing something like this process is very device specific. I have read the Wiki and everything else and if you check up on any of my other posts you will know I'm not the kind of person that asks inane or pointless questions. If the devices were IDENTICAL and there were no differences, there wouldn't be a Tilt specific Wiki, and they wouldn't have different names.
I'm not looking for hand holding or walk throughs, just askling a simple question. As you imply by your "if you don't know this, don't use this tool" comment, this is not something to be approached lightly and without full knowledge of the possible repercussions.
I don't believe my question was unreasonable, and I don't believe I'm going to take the type of answer you have provided as a valid one either. What you're saying is similar to saying hey, it's a Ford Mustang so of course you can use any Ford Mustang Cam, and if you don't know that you shouldn't be trying to change the cam... obviously wrong and obviously very unhelpful.

I don't believe verifying a tools proper use is being ignorant... just careful.
'nuf said.

scotchua

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 10, 2007
Ketchikan, Alaska
www.scotchua.com
Okay, so I was got as far as the end of step 2, just loaded the drivers (my computer loaded them as the BenQ drivers as well, don’t know what that’s about) and then had a power outage (apparently a bird landed on something it wasn’t supposed to and knocked power out for about 5 minutes, how very Alaska right?) Anyway, now I’m stuck cause the screen remains black. The power comes on and the computer shows the device connecting, but I can’t do anything. So I don’t know how screwed I am or not, but I don’t know where to go from here. So if anyone has the time or desire to help me out I’m online @ scotchua2000 for AIM and scotchua@hotmail.com for MSN, and of course I’ll be monitoring any posting on here. Thanks.

***sucessfully unlocked***

Last edited:

gep

Mar 9, 2008
Qualcuno che parla italiano? ho un problema, ho eseguito la procedura ma mi si è bloccato. ora non si accende lo schermo resta la luce verde..... il pc riconosce che è collegato (vede i driver qualcomm).. aiuto...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    May 19th, 2008

With my new and revolutionary tool "FrankenKaiser" you can now finally jailbreak your locked to "Radio from Hell" Kaiser :D

DISCLAIMER: This method involves erasing SPL & OS and requires correct data entry by the user. I will not take any responsibility for any malfunctions and or damages caused by using this method and software.

Pay attention: this method will only work on a Kaiser device with radio version 1.65.17.10 (check your radio version in the boot splash screen!)

Note that you can not use copy & paste with MTTY, you must type the data exactly as written in the steps below. If in a step it is said to type a command always type them without the quotes.

Note that during the entire procedure you should uncheck "Allow usb connections" in Activesync.

I have tested the method on my own Kaiser, which was security locked and had original 1.65.17.10 installed. I'm on WinXP btw. GSLEON3 also succesfully unbricked his Kaiser with FrankenKaiser which had radio 1.64.08.21 installed. That should give you some confidence :)

So read very carefully and apply following instructions:

0) download and unzip the attached files on your PC in a single directory.
    It contains all needed to jailbreak or unbrick your device, such as MTTY 1.42, my revolutionary FrankenKaiser program, screenshots to accompany this readme, the appropriate drivers to connect to the radio bootloader ("Drivers MotoQ"), and two softload SPLs (SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb and sspl-0.92-jumpspl-force-usb.nb)

1) Enter tricolor bootloader and make absolutely sure you have a HardSPL installed (either "olipof" or "1.1.JockyW"). If not you must first install a HardSPL.

2) Connect with MTTY (USB) and type "rtask a" followed by Enter, then type "radata 90000000 1" followed by enter (Note that this is not echoed to screen!!). In some rare cases after "radata 90000000 1" you may see "HTCSUN 0[=(HTCE". When that happens type "radata A0000000 2000"

Close MTTY and replug the USB cable. If you haven't installed them yet, your PC will now prompt you to install three drivers. Do a manual install of the MotoQ drivers. After the drivers are installed look them up in device manager and check which COM port is allocated to "Qualcomm diagnostics interface (COMxx)" => see screenshot "1. device manager search com.JPG" (on my PC it is COM4 but it may be anything else!).
    If the driver is connected to COM10 or higher you should reallocate it to a COM port lower than COM10. Go in device manager and rightclick on "qualcomm diagnositcs interface 6000 (com18)". Enter properties -> Port Settings -> Advanced -> Change COM port number to an unused port number below COM10. If you have nothing free below COM10 disable a device which uses a COM and change to that COM port. Reboot your PC afterwards.

3) Remove and reinsert battery and enter tricolor bootloader, and connect with MTTY (USB)
    hit enter and when the Cmd> prompt is shown type "task 2a" (this erases SPL, OS and Splash, we used to call that a "hard brick") => see screenshot "2. mtty-tricolor - task 2a.JPG"

After power cycling, the device will now enter the radio bootloader called oemsbl. Utterly the phone will look dead and the display is black, but it is still possible to connect with MTTY using the COM port as found in step 2. I indicate that in the next steps with MTTY (COMn) => see screenshot "3. mtty-com-connect.JPG". Also note that you never have to redo steps 1-3 again.

4) Remove and reinsert battery, switch on and connect with MTTY (COMn). Type "setboot", if you are connected correctly the reply should be "ARM9BootMode:0". If you see nothing check in device manager if the drivers are loaded. If you got the reply to "setboot" you can type "radata 90000000 1" which will put the phone in a special "dload mode". In some rare cases after "radata 90000000 1" you see "HTCSUN 0[=(HTCE" and the phone will not change state to dload mode. When that happens type "radata A0000000 2000" and this time nothing should be returned on screen and the phone changed to dload mode.
    Again note that, like in step 2, nothing is echoed to screen!!

Close MTTY.

5) Replug USB cable !!

6) Run FrankenKaiser in a DOS box: FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.exe /dev/com9 SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb
    (note substitute /dev/com9 by the com port indicated by diag driver in device manager, e.g. /dev/com4 on my PC)

You should see:
    Code:
    === Donations happily accepted, paypal to [email]jocky_wilson@hotmail.com[/email]

SPL file read

7e 02 6a d3 7e

Replug USB cable now!

If you don't see "7e 02 6a d3 7e" underneath the line "Just be patient while I'm working ...", you have either not replugged the usb cable, not installed the drivers correctly or type the wrong com port (/dev/comx) in the command line parameters.
    => see screenshot "4. dos box - frankenkaiser.JPG"

7) Run MTTY (COMn) and carefully enter following commands:
    echo_on (the reply in MTTY should be "ECHO ON MODE")
    setboot 1
    => see screenshot "5. mtty-echo_on setboot 1.JPG"

mb 9de8bc => dump HTC security area
    mw 9de8bc 1 31313131 (replaces first half CID by SuperCID "1111")
    mw 9de8c0 1 31313131 (replaces second half CID by SuperCID "1111")
    mw 9de8e4 1 00000000 (Sets security flag to 0, sec unlocked)
    mb 9de8bc => dump HTC security area again and check if CID and security flag are modified in memory
    => see screenshot "6. mtty-mb 9de8bc.JPG"

setinfo
    powerdown
    => see screenshot "7. mtty- setinfo - powerdown.JPG"

Close MTTY

At this point your Kaiser is unjailed, security unlocked (and SIM unlocked) and SuperCID :) Now we need to prepare another run with FrankenKaiser to softload a SPL which will allow us to flash a HardSPL. In principle steps 1-7 need never to be done again.

8a) Unplug usb cable, remove and reinsert battery, replug usb cable and then power on. Connect with MTTY (COMn):
    - type "echo_on". (the reply in MTTY should be "ECHO ON MODE". if you see that it means you never have to perform steps 1-7 again. If you don't, something went wrong in steps 1-7 or there is a connectivity problem)
    - type "setboot 1" (you should see "ARM9BootMode:1").
    - Close MTTY !!

8b) Unplug usb cable, remove and reinsert battery, replug usb cable and then power on. Connect with MTTY (COMn):
    - type "echo_on". (you should see "ECHO ON MODE")
    - type "dload" to put phone in dload mode.
    - Close MTTY !!

9) Replug USB cable and then wait 10 seconds

10) Run FrankenKaiser in a DOS box: FrankenKaiser-V1.9517.exe /dev/com9 SPL1.56-KAIS-unbricker.nb
    (note substitute /dev/com9 by the com port indicated by diag driver in device manager).
    You should see the lines:
    7e 02 6a d3 7e

FrankenKaiser will prompt you to replug the usb cable. After you have done that you should wait about 10 seconds before proceeding with step 11.

11) Run MTTY (COMn)
    - type "echo_on" (you should see "ECHO ON MODE", if not then there is a connectivity issue: close MTTY, unplug usb cable, wait 10 seconds, replug usb cable and repeat step 11.)
    - type "setboot 0" (you should see "ARM9BootMode:0")
    - type "cego" => tri-color screen should be visible and the reply in MTTY should be "Boot CE manually..." followed on the next line by "Done."

=> see screenshot "8. mtty-setboot 0 - cego.JPG"
    If after "cego" you don't see a tri-color bootloader screen, then unplug usb cable and unplug and reinsert battery and try steps 8-11 again.
    If still no tri-color screen, then repeat again but this time in step 10 run FrankenKaiser with the other SPL "sspl-0.92-jumpspl-force-usb.nb".

Close MTTY

12) Replug USB cable and flash HardSPL

13) Remove and reinsert battery, enter tricolor bootloader and flash Splash

14) Remove and reinsert battery, enter tricolor bootloader and flash OS

15) Remove and reinsert battery, enter tricolor bootloader and flash Radio

Note: at step 13 it's probably also possible to flash a full ROM update, I prefer to do it bits and pieces.

This I hope shows the power of FrankenKaiser: it manages to unjail, security unlock, SIM unlock and superCID a device which is basically in a bricked state w/o the need to flash a patched radio. Look forward to other FrankenKaiser tools such as a fast SPL loader and radio dumper.

Special versions of FrankenKaiser will be released for the new HTC models Diamond and Raphael and more :)
    Hi,

My Kaiser stopped getting signal and I read some post about MTTY. I ran some commands and after a reboot, my Kaiser shows absolutely nothing. No LEDs, nothing on the display and that. But if I connect it to my PC and I try to turn it on, the PC starts looking for Modem drivers. I found the drivers but that's it. I don't know what else to do.

Is there any hope for my phone?

It looks like without you even knowing you've done the task 2a on MTTY where it will delete the SPL, OS and also the Splash (blank screen)

you better follow the instruction that have been given by jockyw in the first post and is especially in step 3
    If earlier you use other radio versions then you can contact massivekid to make Frankenkaisers with oemsbl and radio according to the radio version which you use
    No More Radio From Hell!!! I Just Can Dsay One Word...thanks!